• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone mentioned that the 2008 Unknown Soldier series is worth checking out? I remember when it was announced and completely ignored it as it didn't seem at all interesting at the time.

I'd say it's better than just worth checking out, imo it's one of the absolute best pieces of work in the medium in the last decade. Incredible piece of work that sits nice and complete as a 4 volume series. Just a great piece of twisting fiction with an incredibly hard edge to it due to the factual nature of a lot of the stuff that pops up in it. Also I loved the paper they used for the trades, so there's that too.

Jesus, the (non-spoiler) review for x-men legacy here makes the series sound phenomenal Click Sounds like Spurrier managed to come in and do exactly what he wanted to do.

monome

Welp, Batman 28 was shite. Great ad for that other Batman series I guess. Not a good interruption for Zero Year, but Capullo deserves as long as necessary to draw those incredible comics of his.

I second this opinion.

very disappointing, IMO.

and yep, Capullo kills it.

Dear Birdie. One day you'll get a book on my recommendation and you'll like it and you'll come to me with this beautific smile upon your face and just as you begin to whisper your thanks, a gateway to hell will rip open and a great freeze shall grasp the world within it's icy grip.

95% of my rhetoric is in response to some of the inane bullshit that gets spoken like gospel. I'm just not the type to let that kind of stuff go. If ex-DC or Marvel guys are going to build a narrative that DC is the worst thing ever and everything they do is shit, I'm going to happily point out when and where they are wrong. And they usually are. Most DC books are actually pretty good. But some people have so poisoned their expectations for anything DC that they will fight it, tooth and nail, before admitting it. Sometimes it almost seems as if they are upset when DC has a success story or does something right.

Look, I get it, especially with the "ex-DC" guys, they can't help but hate everything about the New 52, and they hate the good stuff about it even more because it's another nail in the coffin of their desperate hope that everything will go back to the "way that it was" (which is not even possible at this point). What they'd end up getting, if something like that ever happened, is a New New 52 that looks like the Old DCU on paper.

I even understand it from the otherside. Everytime I see you post some INSANE OMG WTF BBQ explosion of joy about a book that you really, really liked, I can't help but be skeptical. "Really? It's that good? From Marvel?" But I don't say it. Because I haven't read it. But when I do that same exact thing, as someone who feels like his particular brand of our little comic club is constantly getting shit talked for stuff that just... doesn't make any sense... [Like DC's art is shit? Really? When that image was posted before, comparing them, my gut reaction was, "Wow, I really like most of those DC images... and Allreds art is still grade school shit with terrible primary colors, Captain Marvel has had shit art forever, and Hawkeye can't maintain a schedule with that basic linework??? But that's just my taste. Objectively judging art makes almost no sense.] I can't help but want to show them that they were wrong.

Anyways, for what it is worth, I appreciate your comments. Comics are still cool. All of them. Even the shit you like. ;)

But it's already happened! I love three of the four GLU books and I'm catching up with the Lemeire-verse!

;D

And I feel the same way, man! I wouldn't have pointed it out if I didn't value your presence here.

Oh man, Bendis, how you redeem yourself. Spent the last few days post Infinity reading through volume 1 & 2 of All-New X-men (which depressingly only covers 10 issues) and just went through the first two issues of Uncanny. Damn. This really feels like him at the top of his game. Alias, Daredevil, Scarlet, Powers, he's often proven he can be an incredible writer when a) he can focus on one leading character or so and b) it's a character he has a fair amount of autonomy to define them oppose to playing inside of too much prior characterisation. Imo where he falls down to big ensembles, or keeping characters inside of well established characterisations people already love and moving them forward, and his pacing can be terrible. Imo this feels like him nailing everything.

I understand why people may describe ANXM as a soap opera, it's true that not much has happened yet but nothing feels like a waste of time either or padding. It's a joy to see the young x-men react to where they've ended up in the present, and all the unresolved feeling bubble to the surface in some surprising places with the present x-men faced with the original five. Really really enjoyed the 2 volumes of ANXM. Uncanny feels like the showstopper though. Part of that for me is Bachelo, I gravitate to him over Immonen without blinking (although Immonen is pretty great obviously), but the plot seems a bit ballsier here. Same great character stuff from ANXM but loads of intriguing plot stuff being set up too. I'm basically reading the two books as one, just the same as Avengers/New Avengers and they make great companions.

So yea, really pleased with this. Thanks to Messi, it was your thoughts last week or so that got me to jump in on ANXM and Uncanny by extension, this really feels like the beginning of an epic. Uncanny is going some crazy places, and ANXM is laying some brilliant character work for when it all implodes around Cyclops. Particularly as a counterpart to Hickman's Avengers stuff right now too, I am in love with that, the insane concepts and multi-layered plot, this feels like a really good counterpart at the other side of the spectrum with heaps of character and heart, can't wait to see where it all goes. Definitely feels like an epic in its own right, even if it's not commanding the company events etc. right now.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh man, Bendis, how you redeem yourself. Spent the last few days post Infinity reading through volume 1 & 2 of All-New X-men (which depressingly only covers 10 issues) and just went through the first two issues of Uncanny. Damn. This really feels like him at the top of his game. Alias, Daredevil, Scarlet, Powers, he's often proven he can be an incredible writer when a) he can focus on one leading character or so and b) it's a character he has a fair amount of autonomy to define them oppose to playing inside of too much prior characterisation. Imo where he falls down to big ensembles, or keeping characters inside of well established characterisations people already love and moving them forward, and his pacing can be terrible. Imo this feels like him nailing everything.

I understand why people may describe ANXM as a soap opera, it's true that not much has happened yet but nothing feels like a waste of time either or padding. It's a joy to see the young x-men react to where they've ended up in the present, and all the unresolved feeling bubble to the surface in some surprising places with the present x-men faced with the original five. Really really enjoyed the 2 volumes of ANXM. Uncanny feels like the showstopper though. Part of that for me is Bachelo, I gravitate to him over Immonen without blinking (although Immonen is pretty great obviously), but the plot seems a bit ballsier here. Same great character stuff from ANXM but loads of intriguing plot stuff being set up too. I'm basically reading the two books as one, just the same as Avengers/New Avengers and they make great companions.

So yea, really pleased with this. Thanks to Messi, it was your thoughts last week or so that got me to jump in on ANXM and Uncanny by extension, this really feels like the beginning of an epic. Uncanny is going some crazy places, and ANXM is laying some brilliant character work for when it all implodes around Cyclops. Particularly as a counterpart to Hickman's Avengers stuff right now too, I am in love with that, the insane concepts and multi-layered plot, this feels like a really good counterpart at the other side of the spectrum with heaps of character and heart, can't wait to see where it all goes. Definitely feels like an epic in its own right, even if it's not commanding the company events etc. right now.

Totally agree, I think Bendy is killing it on the X-Books right now. Dialled the supervillain bullshit right back, turned the interpersonal drama up to 11. I really don't care about superhero fights any more because they'll always win. Nobody wins with hurt feelings involved, much more interesting. I love his take on Magneto as well, he is such a wildcard.

tim1138

Totally agree, I think Bendy is killing it on the X-Books right now. Dialled the supervillain bullshit right back, turned the interpersonal drama up to 11. I really don't care about superhero fights any more because they'll always win. Nobody wins with hurt feelings involved, much more interesting. I love his take on Magneto as well, he is such a wildcard.

I was reading both Uncanny and ANXM and really enjoying them, but then money got a little tight over the summer and I dropped both before Battle of the Atom. Is there a good jump on point for them coming up soon?

Of course not, Harley Quinn hasn't come out yet!

Lol, I didn't vote Harley last month. It has to deserve my top 3. My top 3 still come from last week.

Also, I will never stay up til 3 am to read a comic ever again. Really messed with my sleep schedule. I fell asleep at 9:30 last night and now I'm up 3 hours early.

Picked these up yesterday:

Avengers #26 - Wasn't bad

All New X-Men #23 - Good and interested to see where things go

She-Hulk #1 - Very good and fun

Superior Spider-Man #27 - Very good

Batman #28 - Big fat "Meh"

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I was reading both Uncanny and ANXM and really enjoying them, but then money got a little tight over the summer and I dropped both before Battle of the Atom. Is there a good jump on point for them coming up soon?

Others may disagree, but you should jump back on with BotA. Super fun and silly time travel epic. It's retardo brilliant. Either that or get in on the current arc, the Trial of Jean Grey. Only three issues in between ANXM (Immonen!) and Guardians of the Galaxy (Pichelli!)

Mafro

I enjoyed She-Hulk, but I'd like it a lot more if Pulido and his derp faces weren't on art. I'd have loved Allred to be doing this series, really liked the way he drew Jen in FF.

I'm not really enjoying this current Avengers arc. I've always found AIM really boring and it feels like they are showing up in every Marvel comic I'm reading just now.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I enjoyed She-Hulk, but I'd like it a lot more if Pulido and his derp faces weren't on art. I'd have loved Allred to be doing this series, really liked the way he drew Jen in FF.

I'm not really enjoying this current Avengers arc. I've always found AIM really boring and it feels like they are showing up in every Marvel comic I'm reading just now.

Yeah I think Hickman has a massive hard-on for AIM but he never seems to do anything with them, really. I hope this arc is going to be 'the point' of what they're up to. I can't tell if the story here or in Secret Avengers are crossing over too since they're dealing with a lot of the same characters.

tim1138

Others may disagree, but you should jump back on with BotA. Super fun and silly time travel epic. It's retardo brilliant. Either that or get in on the current arc, the Trial of Jean Grey. Only three issues in between ANXM (Immonen!) and Guardians of the Galaxy (Pichelli!)

I'm actually waiting to see if my library gets the BotA hc in. What's a good jump back in spot for Uncanny? And more importantly, is Cyke still being awesome?

Messi

Of course not, Harley Quinn hasn't come out yet!

My man!

I think we need to vote Korupt out of the club.

Edit: shit double post. Sorry. Here is a gif of a pug licking a window to make up for it.

pug-licking-screen-o.gif

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm actually waiting to see if my library gets the BotA hc in. What's a good jump back in spot for Uncanny? And more importantly, is Cyke still being awesome?

To be fair, I find Uncanny quite disjointed on it's own, I mostly think of it as a 'meanwhile, in Canada' companion piece to ANXM. I think you could jump in at almost any issue, it's often self contained and done in one. Only real multi-parter I can think of would be the Magick story with Frazer Irving art.

edit: Cyke is still a boss. Mags even more so, there was a recent issue with just him and it was brilliant.

tim1138

To be fair, I find Uncanny quite disjointed on it's own, I mostly think of it as a 'meanwhile, in Canada' companion piece to ANXM. I think you could jump in at almost any issue, it's often self contained and done in one. Only real multi-parter I can think of would be the Magick story with Frazer Irving art.

edit: Cyke is still a boss. Mags even more so, there was a recent issue with just him and it was brilliant.

That Magick arc was the last I bought, going from the brilliance of Frazier Irving back to Chris Baccahlo made it an easy drop when I basically culled my pulls to three books over the summer. Thanks for the info man, good to know it's safe to jump back in.

God, X-Force was so unbelievably ass ahahaha. I bet Chris Yost secretly wrote it.

Marrow going on about literally nothing. What was she saying???? It was just nonsense, the whole goddamn issue. It's so bad, I can't stop laughing. Using a pen name won't let you slip back into the X-franchise, Yost. Get the hell out.

by tim1138

Despite whatever expectations I may have or not had about this book before reading it, it is really, really freaking good. It's refreshing to have a book with Wonder Woman's name in the title that actually features Wonder Woman (a novel concept I know!). Basically this book scratches the itch for seeing Diana do cool superhero shit unencumbered from that neverending miasma of the Greek Pantheon and OMG ZOLA!!! that Azzarello IS STILL writing 2.5 years later and that has reduced Diana to a side character in her own book. And while that was tolerable when Orion was around for some New Gods hijinx (although Fratboy Brorion did get kind of old), he has since left the book and it's back to OMG ZOLA'S BABY WAS CAPTURED!!!11!!1 and mystery character (onimous music) with ties to Zeus!! I know Azzarello has said he only took on the book because whatever DC had previously planned for her was terrible or something, but I think it's become pretty clear dude has no interest in actually writing her.

Diana's stand alone book started out SO GOOD. Just so damn good, but yes 2.5 years later, the fact that the focus is STILL Zola's baby, and the Greek Pantheon is disappointing. It's a shame because Azzarello is a good writer, but I just don't care about Zola's baby or the Greek god's any more, I want some Wonder Woman damn it. I don't know how long DC will let, or can let Azzarello drag out this story line, but it has to end soon.

Just read through Sleeper and Incognito.

Fantastic books. I miss Brubaker's Cap. America...

For sure man. I've tried Remender's run Dimension z and after, but it just ain't the same, Bru's Cap was glorious. Remender has mentioned he's shifting the tone as he goes and he hopes Brubaker Cap fans will like what he has coming up more. Nothing like it though, that run was once in a lifetime.

Lombaszko

Justice League of America didn't show up in my emailed Comixology pull list, so that was a nice surprise to find it in my local shop. Solid issue.

Like some others here I was disappointed by the Batman fill in issue, the Zero Year story was holding my interest a ton. I think if this had come out in between arcs I would like it more, sort of how Batman #12 was.
I remember dropping the Streets of Gotham title because of a Two-Face fill in issue, I was so frustrated!

Superman / Wonder Woman continues to be amazing. This book makes me feel guilty for not picking up other books Tony Daniel has drawn (specifically the ones he also writes). The art is THAT GOOD.

Justice League of America didn't show up in my emailed Comixology pull list, so that was a nice surprise to find it in my local shop. Solid issue.

Like some others here I was disappointed by the Batman fill in issue, the Zero Year story was holding my interest a ton. I think if this had come out in between arcs I would like it more, sort of how Batman #12 was.
I remember dropping the Streets of Gotham title because of a Two-Face fill in issue, I was so frustrated!

Superman / Wonder Woman continues to be amazing. This book makes me feel guilty for not picking up other books Tony Daniel has drawn (specifically the ones he also writes). The art is THAT GOOD.
Do not feel guilty about not pixking up books he writes.

monome

Diana's stand alone book started out SO GOOD. Just so damn good, but yes 2.5 years later, the fact that the focus is STILL Zola's baby, and the Greek Pantheon is disappointing. It's a shame because Azzarello is a good writer, but I just don't care about Zola's baby or the Greek god's any more, I want some Wonder Woman damn it. I don't know how long DC will let, or can let Azzarello drag out this story line, but it has to end soon.

Morrison's WW.

oh fuck, I will fap to it.

He's upped his game for this book. Not comparable to his previous works unless you go back to his Batman run with Morrison when/where it was nice to see some proper super-heroish art featuring on a rather good Bat-book.

dan2026

Is there a date on Morrison's WW OGN?

I am suffering from crazy Scottish bastard withdrawal.

Please somebody get this hack away from Supes. Please. Y'all are concerned about Wonder Woman but this guy has been ruining Supes and Teen Titans and everything he touches for 2+ years at DC.

Yeah, damn do we need fresh blood on Supes. I have high hopes form Johns.

tim1138

Please somebody get this hack away from Supes. Please. Y'all are concerned about Wonder Woman but this guy has been ruining Supes and Teen Titans and everything he touches for 2+ years at DC.

Your wish has been granted, Johns is taking over this summer and Pak and Soule are doing good things in their titles.

Still waiting on Multiversity

Fuck Mark Millar for taking Frank Quitely away from us for 10 issues on that trash Jupiter's Legacy. This is his greatest attack on Grant Morrison.

Morrison's WW.

oh fuck, I will fap to it.

Why? So we can have The Dianna and the New Gods Show, instead of Dianna and the Greek Gods Show. Maybe it can be something super convoluted too with Dianna lost in time, fighting Darkseid in multiple dimensions and time periods at the same time, and if she gets to the present day she'll explode. Unless Superman can convince a 9th dimension trickster being to turn the bomb into a rubber chicken.

I though Morrison said he was off cape books?

dan2026

Let's see.

Thor : Awesome, great art and the Roxxon Energy Corporation. (There's a blast from the past)
Transformers : Awesome, Prime being awesome, Megatron being awesome, Shockwave planning 100,000 steps ahead.
Batman : Eh, sorry Snyder, still don't care about Harper.
New X-men : Fun but Angela why are you even there? You don't fit it.

dan2026

I think he said it was more the monthly, regular series cape books. Dude just wants to take his time I think. Can't wait for his Image book, Nameless!

Oh shit, is it an ongoing or a miniseries?
I'll get it either way, his last miniseries 'Happy' was great.

monome

I though Morrison said he was off cape books?

It's Diana being chastized by her sisters. like what the fuck happens on an island where 100% of residents are girls. like violence. and have a secrets' spilling lasso.

Now.

Kneel and beg DC to come up with the smart idea of using Morrison's WW as a template for a post-Zola post-trhiller WW comics series.

and pray the Lord, Soule can at least make one issue of Supes/WW that allows for something kinky. I want kinky. I demand kinky.

Kinky art by Daniel. plz.

Edit : I like how, in Justice League : War, they introduced the super couple and made WW into a character not afraid of listining to her urges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom