• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeeaykay

I've got a 20 hour train ride tomorrow (and a week later on the way back) and wanted to know of some suggestions of a good series I can comfortably dig into and potentially finish. One thing I was leaning towards was Spurrier's X-Men: Legacy since I loved six-gun gorilla. I've also never read Astonishing X-Men, but I'm not sure if that's available digitially. I was also thinking Scalped but I'm holding out hope that they will release a deluxe edition, as in general I prefer to read physical but I'll be reading this on my HD+.

Anyone have any suggestions? For taste, here are some of my favorites: Blankets, Unwritten, Criminal, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Aaron's Thor, Zero, Lazarus, Nowhere Men, Sex Criminals, Trillium...

tim1138

only if he can put Deadpool on there

I swear every time I look on his Twitter he's going on about that

he REALLY wants that movie to happen

Right? His shilling for Deadpool knows no bounds. His sad attempt at staying relevant... "I made Deadpool! I'm important!!!"

Donnie, you are not cheap. I think we overspend on the stuff. We have no kids and we rent a 2 bedroom apartment. We have aspirations of getting a house and would probably be close to that if we were not such impulse buyers of this stuff. On the other hand, I don't think we are ready for home ownership. We're happy though.

Dude, that was pretty touching haha. That's the bottom line right? Be happy, enjoy each other now.

I've got a 20 hour train ride tomorrow (and a week later on the way back) and wanted to know of some suggestions of a good series I can comfortably dig into and potentially finish. One thing I was leaning towards was Spurrier's X-Men: Legacy since I loved six-gun gorilla. I've also never read Astonishing X-Men, but I'm not sure if that's available digitially. I was also thinking Scalped but I'm holding out hope that they will release a deluxe edition, as in general I prefer to read physical but I'll be reading this on my HD+.

Anyone have any suggestions? For taste, here are some of my favorites: Blankets, Unwritten, Criminal, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Aaron's Thor, Zero, Lazarus, Nowhere Men, Sex Criminals, Trillium...

Sweet Tooth man. Also all finished series that are great: Scalped. Y the last man. Locke & Key. Unknown Soldier. Oh, oh, you could go all the way through Hellboy from Seed of Destruction to The Storm and The Fury. Not the end end of Hellboy, but the end of the first mega phase.

arkon

It's interesting to read the responses to X-Force #1. I wonder how much knowing the characters and X-Force history plays a role in peoples' judgements of it. GAF, and critics too from the sounds of it, would probably say that has nothing to do with it. That it's just a terrible comic.

I understand if people who know and care about the characters are pissed about seeing them as simplified, amplified archetypes. I'm only a little familiar with Psylocke and Cable. But I liked the characterizations. I thought their interplay was funny. And I'm too excitable like Marrow to be very annoyed by her.

I liked the art, too. Thought it was neat. Something different. But I couldn't give two shits about the plot. I struggled to follow the who and what and eventually kind of gave up and just enjoyed the dialogue. I'll probably give it a couple of arcs. Between Numbercruncher and Six-Gun Gorilla, Spurrier has earned a lot of good will.

Worst part of the comic for me was that I was reminded that I lost the sword that goes with my Psylocke action figure. Shit sucks.

This might work in my favour too. I have very little knowledge of most of the characters in the book having read very few X-men stories over the years so wonky characterization not in accordance with previous continuity won't phase me.

Here's my thing if Marvel once to go more towards the season format. There is no reason to have leaving books and then drawing a couple issues of another series. Moon Knight does not need Koi Pham coming in and never seeing Shalvey again. MK, Ghost Rider with Tradd Moore, Ms Marvel with Alphona, Black Widow with Noto, Punisher with Gerads, these books success depends on the whole collaborative process. The editors can coordinate this shit. I dont want to see another talented artist have ro feel he has to go work with Nick Spencer to get steady work.

I guess no one really does stay dead in comics, huh? Gotta say, though, I felt the same when I read that Peter Parker bit the dust and had his mind replaced by Otto. Total lump in my throat, that's a horrible, no-win, way to go out.

Now I don't want him to come back, lol.

I can only imagine Non-Comic GAF's reaction, though. Sounds hilarious by the sound of it, though.

Spike had to make it controversial but you can read some of the reactions here.

What I really remember was before the mind switch, all the theories and speculation on who could be the New Spider-Man, from Miguel O'hara to a 616 Miles Morales. It was kind of fun and amazingly Superior turned out to be a hit.

arkon

Hmm. Had a look at some of the reviews for the early issues of X-Men Legacy and they were similarly negative. Half a star for issue 1 at CBR!

There's still hope...

Here's my thing if Marvel once to go more towards the season format. There is no reason to have leaving books and then drawing a couple issues of another series. Moon Knight does not need Koi Pham coming in and never seeing Shalvey again. MK, Ghost Rider with Tradd Moore, Ms Marvel with Alphona, Black Widow with Noto, Punisher with Gerads, these books success depends on the whole collaborative process. The editors can coordinate this shit. I dont want to see another talented artist have ro feel he has to go work with Nick Spencer to get steady work.

Image is incredibly sensible having their artist take a monthly break in between arcs and having a trade ready to be released during the break.

That is a good format.

Image is incredibly sensible having their artist take a monthly break in between arcs and having a trade ready to be released during the break.

That is a good format.
Im chill if they want to have someone come in for a small arc or so or if the mood changes like in Cap and Thor. But theese books need stability.

Toa TAK

Banned
Spike had to make it controversial but you can read some of the reactions here.

What I really remember was before the mind switch, all the theories and speculation on who could be the New Spider-Man, from Miguel O'hara to a 616 Miles Morales. It was kind of fun and amazingly Superior turned out to be a hit.

Damn, way to ruin one of my favorite covers in Superior. None of that stuff actually happened, either, though. Really sad to read a lot of these posts though, so much focus on the thread topic and no one is even willing to give the series a chance. A lot of drive by posts about "Oh, of course, let's add rape/sarcasm".

Really happy Superior turned out great, though. Maybe it shut some people up about it all. How come COMICGAF as a whole don't usually come into these conversations more often? People just poop all over this hobby and no one is ever around to say anything.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Woo! My paperback copy of Life and Times of Martha Washington arrived today. In practically new condition with only a couple signs of shelf-wear on two of the corners, for just $13 shipped.
It's a really high quality paperback, too. I didn't realize paperbacks could be made to feel so sturdy. Really thick card stock on the outside and quite a good binding. Pretty much the least gutter loss you could get without a sewn binding. I really shouldn't be surprised, since it's Dark Horse.

Really looking forward to starting that after I finish up X-Statix. I'd say I'm about 80% through it and still reeeally enjoying it. Besides a slight loss of momentum in the middle with the crossover sort of issues and then a couple less-than-amazing issues following that, it's been consistently fantastic throughout. What a great book.
Also, how about that one Nick Dragotta issue? I hadn't heard of him before reading the X-Statix issue he did, but I really enjoyed his art.

Sweet Tooth man. Also all finished series that are great: Scalped. Y the last man. Locke & Key. Unknown Soldier. Oh, oh, you could go all the way through Hellboy from Seed of Destruction to The Storm and The Fury. Not the end end of Hellboy, but the end of the first mega phase.

The only reason I wouldn't recommend Hellboy is since he said he prefers to read in physical format and Hellboy has the gorgeous library editions.
I'll throw my vote to Scalped though. Great stuff, and unfortunately, it'll probably be quite a while before deluxe editions come out. I mean, at BEST, they announce it today, the first one comes out in six months, and then it takes, what, three years for the rest of them to come out?
But yeah, Scalped is a fantastic read.

8bit

Knows the Score
Hmm. Had a look at some of the reviews for the early issues of X-Men Legacy and they were similarly negative. Half a star for issue 1 at CBR!

There's still hope...

I loved Legacy from the outset, maybe David's Glaswegian inner voice helped a bit. I dunno about X-Force after the first issue but I'm on team Si for the first few issues at least.

arkon

I loved Legacy from the outset, maybe David's Glaswegian inner voice helped a bit. I dunno about X-Force after the first issue but I'm on team Si for the first few issues at least.

Yeah, same here. Although I came to it late. Not even sure why I bought the first issue at the time. I'd never read anything that the creative team were involved in previously and had no knowledge of Legion at all. First issue hooked me and I was pretty much committed to the series by issue 3 or 4.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Finally read my Hellboy Library Vol 3...It is time to start B.P.R.D and get the next library edition.

I love Roger and Lobster Johnson.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Read first two issues of Superior Foes on MU. Legitimately hilarious. I read Amazing religiously from 1989-1995 or so and I love those B list villains. Especially Shocker.

JEKKI

massive F4 spoilers
Ok, so, loosely, F4 was about the F4 trying to find a cure for their powers degrading. It turns out in the end that their powers were out of control because during one of their journeys they saw an asteroid blow up. The asteroid was actually a sort of capsule of F4 powers launched from a different dimension and the power degradation was caused by their powers being overloaded.

The reason the other dimension's F4 (I'll call it Black F4 because Reed is black, just like Black Debbie and Black Stormy) shot their powers out is because there's a universal constant event where Doom merges his powers with Kang and Annihilius turning him into Doom the Annihilating Conquerer, which is obviously bad for Earth, and the power shot is meant to summon another F4. So the F4 goes to Black F4's dimension (it's where Old One-Eyed Johnny came from) and restores part of Black F4's powers to cure themselves. Then some other stuff happens and in the end the F4 beat Super-Doom by absorbing all of Black F4's powers, and then transfer them back and come home.

MEANWHILE, in FF, the universal constant is kinda busted because Doom tries too early, hence Teen Kang and Teen Annihilus. Some part of the process is making current Doom's plan fail hard enough that when the actual event occurs he'll reject it, particularly when the Living Tribunal shows up to slap the shit out of Doom and then Ant Man beats him up. Also, Black F4's Johnny goes back to Black F4 and blows himself up to distract Super Doom long enough for the F4 to succeed.

BBQ Party On The Moon!
oh sweet thanks!!

still dont understand tho lol.

o well... onto the new series!!

tim1138

Man you guys weren't kidding about IST's packaging. Got my first ever order from them today (just another one of the many mediocre DC titles I read :) ) and I was impressed. I've personally never had any issues with stuff from Amazon, but it's good to have alternatives.

Hey Tim, I got the Sqeeg.

BgZhNi2CQAAnzHX.jpg

Cheska

I've never read a She-Hulk book (though I am planning on picking up the Slott collection soon) so my experience with Jen is limited but Soule's book was so good this week. And the art is something else! I had mixed feelings on it initially but it's hard not to love it after this first issue.

I've also been making my way through Avengers Arena and HOLY FUCK THIS IS AWESOME! I'm 1/2 way through the third TPB and it has been such an interesting read, especially because I have little exposure to these characters but I love them so much already. The biggest thing I'm bummed about though is the Runaways cast involvement since I haven't read that series yet and a bunch of stuff has been spoiled already.

tim1138

I'm there a lot. I go in their just to talk sometimes. Yeah, I was there over the weekend. What were you checking out?

For whatever reason the Green Lantern: Brightest Day trade had been impossible for me to find and I was checking out if they had it. Other than the upcoming Wrath of the First Lantern, it was the last trade from Johns run I didn't own (even though I own the whole thing in individual issues...). Ended up grabbing it from InStockTrades in HC for like $12.

Bigfoot

Just read the first Afterlife with Archie I had sitting on a pile and it was pretty good. I'm sure there is some nostalgia in there as I grew up reading Archie comics. Anyone know if there is a planned end or if it will just keep going? If it is a reasonable length series that they have planned out then I'll subscribe for sure but I just don't have much faith in an open ended story to read it very month.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Nah, just that we should. Korupt and I probably live like 10 min away from each other.

But how great would a comic-gaf meetup be?! We could potentially get into a Marvel vs. DC vs. Morrison gang fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom