• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
wooooo, grabbed the last She-Hulk at my shop. didn't have the Ms Marvel problem from last week! I also picked up Mercenary Sea, The Royals, and Fuse.
speaking of jimmy palmiotti

powergirl collection came out this week. its better than harley pick it up ,people!
Oh shit, forgot about that book. this IST cart is gonna have to be moved around a bit

For $5 bucks a pop, I love getting these things when I goto the shop. You don't know which one you will get so it's kinda exciting.

BgeMw8VCcAAN8we.jpg

Random thought, have there ever been any rumblings of DC or Image creating a subscription service ala Marvel Unlimited? Follow up question has Marvel ever public acknowledged whether or not MU has been a success or not from a financial perspective?

Just thinking if I could spend $150-$200 a year to basically have every comic I'd ever want to read digitally amongst the big three would be a price I'd be willing to pay.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Random thought, have there ever been any rumblings of DC or Image creating a subscription service ala Marvel Unlimited? Follow up question has Marvel ever public acknowledged whether or not MU has been a success or not from a financial perspective?

Just thinking if I could spend $150-$200 a year to basically have every comic I'd ever want to read digitally amongst the big three would be a price I'd be willing to pay.

I think it would be waaaaay too complicated for Image to try something like that since everything is creator-owned. Sorting out the logistics, revenue-sharing, etc. would be a ridiculous undertaking fraught with inevitable drama.

"90% conversations and 10% beating up robots" is an accurate assessment of She-Hulk #1. I do hope the cases get more interesting, but it's a #1 I guess. will give it another shot.

I actually didn't hate The Royals - Master of War, but the art's kinda muddy and not great to look at half the time (there's some good stuff, though). Premise is simple enough - the royal classes get superpowers and that's cool and all, but i gotta have characters with dimension, too.

Toa TAK

Banned
So guys, is Ultimate Comics Spider-Man with Miles Morales any good? I'm thinking about reading it after I'm through with Ultimate Spider-Man.

Messi

So guys, is Ultimate Comics Spider-Man with Miles Morales any good? I'm thinking about reading it after I'm through with Ultimate Spider-Man.

Yeah I thought it was really good and Miles is a really interesting character. Interested to see the direction they are heading with it. Nice looking book too.

Click

I don't think this is the second spider book people were wanting. Slott/Ramon Perez, year one thing that's obviously going to lay in some driving stuff from his early years. Maybe introduce some similar threads to the new movie? Anyway, seems a waste of Slott's time. He keeps saying in his surfer interviews how little time he's got, how busy he is etc.. I can only guess this will set up big things for his new amazing book, or it's kind of random.
The heck is this shit? Where 2099 at?

Vibranium

Banned
The heck is this shit? Where 2099 at?

Don't you understand this brilliant plan Rafa? By having Slott do a new chapter in Peter Parker's early life Alonso will be able to bring in the mythical movie audience hot on the heels of ASM2, kids will flock all over the place every month for every issue!!! It'll just be like those all-new rich MCU characters Agent Coulson and Fury Junior!

I really hate Marvel editorial with a passion, these guys need to learn better business tactics and stop targeting people who won't read full-time...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ugh, Slott fucking around with origin years stuff in an incredibly obvious mirror to Zero Year.

It goes nowhere. Miles is a fairly terrible character given a 1 hit KO power. The book also tries to awkwardly shoehorn Peter Parker's extended cast in around the edges, and everyone treats Miles like some messiah character because of Peter's past deeds rather than anything the lad does himself. Its also Bendis decompression at its absolute worst. Barely anything happens for 2/3rds of the entire books run.

Ultimate universe died with Ultimatum. Its been a stalling engine ever since, although Bendis brief attempt at Spider-Man & Amazing Friends was a good ride while it lasted.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Shockwave must be planning something HUGE for it to lead to (solicits spoilers)
both the Autobots returning to Earth and a Megatron led Lost Light urgently looking for the Knights.
But I doubt Unicron is behind this.

there giving megatron his own book!!! the Fuckery on that ship will be amazing

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I've been really enjoying it. IMO the bit of slowing down it does is compensated by some really fantastic art, and I think Bendis does a really good job of having Miles thrust into the world Peter has vacated. Probably is a bit too decompressed though, but I really like the soap opera feel to it. I care more about Miles' story than I do about the actual villains stuff which I think is the mark of a good character.

I think if you read the entirity of Peter's run you owe it to yourself to carry on reading, it's all the same story, just has a new central character now. I get the feeling it's going to get really good starting very shortly too.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but you guys should really check out instocktrades to catch up on back issues. Their service has been great, and everything is significantly less than retailers and even Amazon.

God I "check out" instocktrades tooo often. haha. Great service tho yes and best prices.

Ugh, Slott fucking around with origin years stuff in an incredibly obvious mirror to Zero Year.

It goes nowhere. Miles is a fairly terrible character given a 1 hit KO power. The book also tries to awkwardly shoehorn Peter Parker's extended cast in around the edges, and everyone treats Miles like some messiah character because of Peter's past deeds rather than anything the lad does himself. Its also Bendis decompression at its absolute worst. Barely anything happens for 2/3rds of the entire books run.

Ultimate universe died with Ultimatum. Its been a stalling engine ever since, although Bendis brief attempt at Spider-Man & Amazing Friends was a good ride while it lasted.
Bingo. It's been thirty issues and there is still no edge to Miles or his story. His dad hating superheroes is not enough. I completwly agree with Peter's brahs being shoehorned into the story. He NEEDS his own rogues. Villains and foils are as important if not more than the hero in cape comics. Shit just ain't personal enough for ole Miles.

Owzers

All caught up on another book, backlog is losing this race ( except trades).

Batman 26 and 27 are okay,
I think bone guy is distracting from the riddler, though since they are working together i guess that's the point but as a reader i think the story lost a little impact especially since so much time is devoted to Gordon. The dog fighting scene was really well done though and makes up for the speech heavy portions of the issues.
Still b-grade Xp

SSJLuffy

In Marvel's Ultimate comics line a good place to start with their stuff? I've never read a comic from them and unlike DC, they don't seem to have rebooted their entire universe so they are much more intimidating to get into.

Wiseblade

So I've caught up on "Superior" Spider-Man. I don't understand how anyone can legitimately like SpOck. it was fun at first, but inevitable downfall is long overdue.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
In Marvel's Ultimate comics line a good place to start with their stuff? I've never read a comic from them and unlike DC, they don't seem to have rebooted their entire universe so they are much more intimidating to get into.

Marvel Now is their "reboot" and has been a great jumping on point for new readers. If you mention some characters you're interested in we can provide some suggestions.

arkon

Their Ultimate line is a separate continuity to the main Marvel one. Ultimate Spider-Man's a good choice to start with.

I would just jump in with a title that catches your interest. You can fill in some of the blanks as you go. I did something similar a few years ago when I started reading some Marvel titles more regularly. An example would be the recent Daredevil run by Mark Waid, Paolo Rivera, Marcos Martin, Chris Samnee et al. I knew basic info about the character like real name and powerset but not much else. Haven't had a problem so far.

I'd say knowing past continuity and character history can add extra depth and flavour to certain scenes but you can still enjoy current stories without being well versed in that continuity. Worst comes to worst there's loads of resources at your disposal to help fill in those blanks. Wikipedia has loads of articles covering the different eras of a character's history, the storylines they've been involved in etc. You can always ask in forums like this one for clarification on certain things too.

Really liked She-Hulk #1. Although I will say that a lot of new titles coming out are giving me huge Hawkeye/Daredevil vibes. I can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is, either.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yeah I thought it was really good and Miles is a really interesting character. Interested to see the direction they are heading with it. Nice looking book too.

it's a severe downgrade, but not offensive. it's really shallow, but slowly gets readable.

I've been really enjoying it. IMO the bit of slowing down it does is compensated by some really fantastic art, and I think Bendis does a really good job of having Miles thrust into the world Peter has vacated. Probably is a bit too decompressed though, but I really like the soap opera feel to it. I care more about Miles' story than I do about the actual villains stuff which I think is the mark of a good character.

I think if you read the entirity of Peter's run you owe it to yourself to carry on reading, it's all the same story, just has a new central character now. I get the feeling it's going to get really good starting very shortly too.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll continue with this series after I'm done with Ultimate Spider-Man. Just finished the "Dumped" comic. Awesome series. Any other series in the Ultimate Universe as good?

So I've caught up on "Superior" Spider-Man. I don't understand how anyone can legitimately like SpOck. it was fun at first, but inevitable downfall is long overdue.

No way, I love SpOck. Wish he didn't have to go out so soon. He's a lot of fun to read about, whether he's being hypocritical or going off the deep end to catch criminals however he thinks he needs to, it's great.

This is exactly how I feel about the character.
You are witnessing the equivalent to the 90's extreme fad, brah.
This is going to need a term for it, and it can't be Hawkguyfy.
No way, I love SpOck. Wish he didn't have to go out so soon. He's a lot of fun to read about, whether he's being hypocritical or going off the deep end to catch criminals however he thinks he needs to, it's great.
He's had an entire year and all he has accomplished is alienating all of his supporting cast, ruined his image, and built an empire that will most likely fall and leave him broke.

Dan Slott is going to retroactively reboot Peter Parker to his loser status and
it's going to be Amazing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

You're supposed to hate him. He's a total dick like 99% of the time, the only time he isn't is when he's with Anna Marie. The inevitable downfall is this arc, after it's done
Peter's back in charge

Really liked She-Hulk #1. Although I will say that a lot of new titles coming out are giving me huge Hawkeye/Daredevil vibes. I can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is, either.

Are you saying that those 2 books are similar? Because I really enjoy daredevil, but hawkeye bores me to death, and I have never really thought of them as sharing many elements. What overlap do you see between the two?

I'm not sure when I'll get my Unknown soldier issues... Seems USPS is screwing up delivery since now the tracking is going backwards in direction and in time. I hope it makes it to me and isn't lost.

Wiseblade

Really, because that stuff is totally off putting to me. He's living in a bubble, convinced that he's doing a good job of being Peter Parker. All the while, his world is crumbling apart. SpOck should have been exposed 5 minutes after purging Pete.

Owzers

Are you saying that those 2 books are similar? Because I really enjoy daredevil, but hawkeye bores me to death, and I have never really thought of them as sharing many elements. What overlap do you see between the two?

more of an emphasis of quirky charm. Daredevil has a better overall plot though, Hawkeye seems to be a little looser issue by issue.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Really, because that stuff is totally off putting to me. He's living in a bubble, convinced that he's doing a good job of being Peter Parker. All the while, his world is crumbling apart. SpOck should have been exposed 5 minutes after purging Pete.

Bah, Spock is way more fun. Loving the book with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom