• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MG310

There's also an Art of Amanda Conner book...not to be confused with The Sequential Art of Amanda Connner which is just a TPB of random issues plus JSA Classified 1-4.

Vibranium

Banned
Hmm, I feel like talking about the book Marvel Comics: The Untold Story since I just finished reading it a few days ago. Has anyone else read through it? Some really interesting stuff, I really felt bad for Jack Kirby but I don't necessarily blame Stan Lee, he is just a natural salesman while a lot of guys in the business weren't. Steve Ditko's kind of responsible for burning his bridges though because he let his Randian views get in the way of his work, which is a no-no. I loved this book overall, I wish there was one about the modern day structure.

The big "villains" in it were Jim Shooter (damn, this guy makes DiDio look like a pansy), that Martin Goodman idiot (screwed over Jack and other guys while living in his mansion), Liefeld (lol) and a few more I forgot.

I was disappointed the author didn't cover the One More Day incident with Quesaeda in more depth though, the book was more focused on the era up until the early 2000s. I laughed at Alonso defending tie-ins as necessary thing near the end, that was hilarious thing coming from the guy who's charging $3.99 on a Ms. Marvel book that needs the lower price point to attract as many people as it can.

tim1138

IMG_20140215_165104_625.jpg

Woohoo, Scribblenauts figures!

IMG_20140215_165104_625.jpg

Woohoo, Scribblenauts figures!

I already said this on Twitter, but you got them at the same shop, you have no clue which ones you are getting and you manged to get the same 4 that I have. That works well for me when I go back and get more. Less chance of doubles.

tim1138

Thought you would :p

What were the chances of you two getting the same figures, thats crazy. They are blind boxes right?

Yep, the figures are sealed in bags within the boxes.

KoruptData said:
I already said this on Twitter, but you got them at the same shop, you have no clue which ones you are getting and you manged to get the same 4 that I have. That works well for me when I go back and get more. Less chance of doubles.

If you get doubles of Deadman or Aquaman lemme know!

Hmm, I feel like talking about the book Marvel Comics: The Untold Story since I just finished reading it a few days ago. Has anyone else read through it? Some really interesting stuff, I really felt bad for Jack Kirby but I don't necessarily blame Stan Lee, he is just a natural salesman while a lot of guys in the business weren't. Steve Ditko's kind of responsible for burning his bridges though because he let his Randian views get in the way of his work, which is a no-no. I loved this book overall, I wish there was one about the modern day structure.

The big "villains" in it were Jim Shooter (damn, this guy makes DiDio look like a pansy), that Martin Goodman idiot (screwed over Jack and other guys while living in his mansion), Liefeld (lol) and a few more I forgot.

I was disappointed the author didn't cover the One More Day incident with Quesaeda in more depth though, the book was more focused on the era up until the early 2000s. I laughed at Alonso defending tie-ins as necessary thing near the end, that was hilarious thing coming from the guy who's charging $3.99 on a Ms. Marvel book that needs the lower price point to attract as many people as it can.

You can kinda tell he stopped giving a damn approaching the modern day, but it quite an insightful read about the eras before that. Lot of suspect shit goes on backdoors making these things.

Vibranium

Banned
You can kinda tell he stopped giving a damn approaching the modern day, but it quite an insightful read about the eras before that. Lot of suspect shit goes on backdoors making these things.

Yep, I have a feeling the author is more of a classic comics guy, but he really did a fantastic job with the 30's-90's.

The backdoor stuff going on behind the scenes is so entertaining. I actually gained respect for Ann Nocenti for standing up to Shooter while she was up at Marvel (still not a good writer). Lol at Claremont's dirty mouth, he must have been so much fun at the office, especially with all the stuff he took.

And the myth behind the Merry Marvel Bullpen was so fascinating to learn about haha.

Not sure why Shooter is the villian. Wasn't he a big champion of quality and stuff written by him was always a hot seller back in the day. He was like the Geoff Johns of the 70s-90s.

Yeah the Black Manta is sweet, that was the first one I opened too.

I visited Arcadian in Newport over a month ago and now have seen all 3 local shops and I know C2G is my shop but I really think it's the best one. It has the best variety of comics, toys, TPBs and other stuff.

Vibranium

Banned
Not sure why Shooter is the villian. Wasn't he a big champion of quality and stuff written by him was always a hot seller back in the day. He was like the Geoff Johns of the 70s-90s.

He forced editorial decisions onto writers and wanted them to kill certain characters, which caused a ton of friction. Going by some of the interviews in the book, people hated his guts. Some writers actually burned a dummy of Shooter at a party at John Byrne's house in protest, which led to his firing.

He also had rule where tons of superheroes had to have "I can't but I must" moment which was ridiculous. As Tom DeFalco said "He helped build Marvel into a powerful juggernaut and the decided he didn't like the way it worked anymore, and that it needed to be rebuilt instantly". "And you know, juggernauts don't get rebuilt instantly".

frye

Yep, I have a feeling the author is more of a classic comics guy, but he really did a fantastic job with the 30's-90's.

The stuff Howe's most interested in is Englehart/Starlin/Geber-era and you can tell that -- but the brevity of the 2000's stuff is because the book is mostly original research based on interviews and the people who would give the best inside info still work in the industry.

Vibranium

Banned
The stuff Howe's most interested in is Englehart/Starlin/Geber-era and you can tell that -- but the brevity of the 2000's stuff is because the book is mostly original research based on interviews and the people who would give the best inside info still work in the industry.

Good point, all the people want to keep their options on the table, without burning bridges with Marvel. Howe is a very good writer though, he did his homework.

tim1138

I visited Arcadian in Newport over a month ago and now have seen all 3 local shops and I know C2G is my shop but I really think it's the best one. It has the best variety of comics, toys, TPBs and other stuff.

The expansion did wonders for C2G, it was so cramped before that. I like the staff at Arcadian, they've always been super friendly to me. I'd rank them C2G, Arcadian, CBW.

I have this lined up to read shortly after I finish Morrison's Supergods.

Are there any books that cover the more recent events in comics history?

Toa TAK

Banned
He's had an entire year and all he has accomplished is alienating all of his supporting cast, ruined his image, and built an empire that will most likely fall and leave him broke.

Dan Slott is going to retroactively reboot Peter Parker to his loser status and
it's going to be Amazing.
Hey now, at least he drove off all major crime syndicates...
Which only made things easier for the Green Goblin I suppose...
I'm not worried so much how all this will crush Otto as opposed
to Peter.
You're supposed to hate him. He's a total dick like 99% of the time, the only time he isn't is when he's with Anna Marie. The inevitable downfall is this arc, after it's done
Peter's back in charge
It's like Breaking Bad, totally enjoying the ride and rooting for the main character until someone down the line literally spells it out for me that he's not supposed to be liked and will lose out in the end. Damn.

Really, because that stuff is totally off putting to me. He's living in a bubble, convinced that he's doing a good job of being Peter Parker. All the while, his world is crumbling apart. SpOck should have been exposed 5 minutes after purging Pete.
Series would've lasted, like, four issues. Even though I do agree that should have happened, it wouldn't have given the chance to expand on Otto's actions, which we know is the ultimate set-up for
the Amazing reboot.

But for me, the bubble he's made for himself is kinda funny to watch. He thinks he's this Superior being, but he's just making new mistakes along the way, including pushing away everyone who he thinks is pulling him down. That's going to be interesting to see when
Peter is back in charge when Amazing starts up.

And what's up with Ultimate Deadpool? Scary mofo...

Vibranium

Banned
I have this lined up to read shortly after I finish Morrison's Supergods.

Are there any books that cover the more recent events in comics history?

I don't think so, no. As frye said it's hard to get insider info (like the Matt Fraction Inhuman incident) because all of the talent are still working in the industry.

I wish there was one about OMD.

The expansion did wonders for C2G, it was so cramped before that. I like the staff at Arcadian, they've always been super friendly to me. I'd rank them C2G, Arcadian, CBW.

When I went into Arcadian, I saw that awesome window display they have and was like "ahhh yeah", then you walk in and boom, shop is super small. CBW needs to inject some youth into their store. They have tons of room.

frye

Also with Shooter, as much as some people hate his guts*, there's a fair argument to be made that Marvel under his tenure as EiC was the best ever.

*on the other hand, Frank Miller and Christopher Priest, for example, have almost nothing but good things to say about him while still recognizing he rubbed people the wrong way

Yes, I always read the Big Bad Shooter stories in the context that it still resulted in a long financially successful and creative peak for the company, so clearly he was doing something right.

Vibranium

Banned
Also with Shooter, as much as some people hate his guts*, there's a fair argument to be made that Marvel under his tenure as EiC was the best ever.

*on the other hand, Frank Miller and Christopher Priest, for example, have almost nothing but good things to say about him while still recognizing he rubbed people the wrong way

Oh, I'm not saying his tenure wasn't one of the best ever, it's actually given notice of how successful he made Marvel in the book. But as Tom DeFalco said in the quote I posted above, he helped built a juggernaut and then wanted to tear it down and rebuild it instantly because he didn't like it. That is usually not a good idea without more than a year of planning and heavy consultation with the staff.

Alonso seems to be much better at parting ways without bad blood.

" can we do Howard the duck"

" ask Gerber"

Lmao

Marvel the untold ale is a fantastic read

Recomend following Howe on tumblr. It's a goo supplement to the book

Blader

I'm starting to get tired of Snyder's Batman (again). I had been planning to drop it before Zero Year because who wants another origin retread stretched out over a year, but then I backed off since it started out pretty well. Now it's getting long in the tooth and the Eternal digression didn't really excite me either.

But goddamn, Capullo's work on this work is just too stunning to ignore.

I don't think so, no. As frye said it's hard to get insider info (like the Matt Fraction Inhuman incident) because all of the talent are still working in the industry.

I wish there was one about OMD.

Good point about those still working in the industry. Guess I'll have to wait till I'm old(er) and grey and I'll be all like 'I remember buying comic books by that young buck Fraction and that Hickman boy when they started out. Ah those were the good ol' days. They dont make comics like they used to...' and all that inevitable nonsense.

Owzers

Cap #15: I don't even register that Marcus Fury is a thing, took me several pages with him in it to go " oh yeah, that isn't Samuel L Fury from the Ultimate Universe/Marvel Movies, that's that Marcus guy"

I hate what Marvel did, should have just switched Ultimate Fury into the 616 Universe, would have been so much simpler.

Cap #15: I don't even register that Marcus Fury is a thing, took me several pages with him in it to go " oh yeah, that isn't Samuel L Fury from the Ultimate Universe/Marvel Movies, that's that Marcus guy"

I hate what Marvel did, should have just switched Ultimate Fury into the 616 Universe, would have been so much simpler.

They should just draw him black without an explanation. If it comes up at a convention they can just say its because of the Age of Ultron timeline reset

Are you saying that those 2 books are similar? Because I really enjoy daredevil, but hawkeye bores me to death, and I have never really thought of them as sharing many elements. What overlap do you see between the two?

more of an emphasis of quirky charm. Daredevil has a better overall plot though, Hawkeye seems to be a little looser issue by issue.

Yeah, I think monkey is correct. It has kind of an up beat humor in it which is common to She-Hulk (so far), and early hawkeye/DD.

This sounds like a great read. I really enjoyed the historical aspects of Morrison's Supergods.

somebody asked for impressions a few pages back and I just finished She-Hulk while sitting in my office so I figured I would jump on here.

Seekers of the weird #1: I enjoyed it, it was short but fun and the art is really cool, I don't know how many books this series is supposed to be but I am in for the next one. My wife actually read this one too since she is such a huge Disney fan.

Deadly Class #1: AMAZING. gritty and real. the art is superb. like Remender I grew up in Arizona and I could feel the streets of Phoenix in some of this book. I liked this one so much I picked up a variant cover the next day. I am excited to follow this one.

Saga #1: I read the first book of this because it was free on the Image ipad app. I am a huge science fiction fan and this book is right up my alley. Its clever and weird and dark. I will definitely be getting the rest.

She hulk #1: I am not a fan of the art in this book at all. I picked it up because.. well I am getting back into comics and the idea of starting with a #1 is something I like. I enjoyed the story and the character is fun, the end was pretty neat. I will probably pick up the next few.

I also have The Punisher #1 and The Fuse #1 but haven't read them yet. I am weird and I like to read in a certain chair in my office at night and I have been a little busy lately. I would probably own about 4-5 more books If I could find them local but my store has been selling out the day they put stuff on the shelf.

You Comic pros are probably laughing at my simplistic impressions. I have no idea what I'm doing I just know that I've found yet another hobby that I love.

thanks guys!

Also, is anyone else worried about the quality of the spider-books since Wacker left? I feel like he was a big part of the consistency on those titles.

Also, is anyone else worried about the quality of the spider-books since Wacker left? I feel like he was a big part of the consistency on those titles.
Well, Nick Lowe is leaving the X-Books to take Wacker's old job, and Mike Marts is taking over Nick's responsibilities on the X-Books in his new position with Marvel. So I guess it all depends on whether or not you feel Nick has been doing a good job?

Sunday list-o-rama.

Batman & Two Face 28
Birds of Prey 28 Gothtopia
Harley Quinn 3
Justice League 28
Supergirl 28
Pandora 8

A Voice in the Dark 4
Alex and Ada 4
Morning Glories 37

--2/19 List--

Harley Qunn #3
Supergirl #28
Unwritten Apocalypse #2
Wonder Woman #28
Alex + Ada #4
Morning Glories #37
Daredevil #36
Uncanny X-Men #17
X-Men #11

I think it's just Undertow, New Warriors, and White Suits for me, but if I don't make it to the shop, I'd be okay. Unless something comes out and is totally amazing, I'm OK with catching up on the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom