• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splatt

A bit unrelated to comics but I just finished Arrow season one.

I am in awe. Best superhero show.

Marvel please stop with dumb predictable superhero action flicks like Thor 2, pls create an awesome Black Panther TV series.

A bit unrelated to comics but I just finished Arrow season one.

I am in awe. Best superhero show.

Marvel please stop with dumb predictable superhero action flicks like Thor 2, pls create an awesome Black Panther TV series.

Hahah it's great isn't it? I enjoyed but was also on the edge for the first few episodes, and I nearly bailed entirely with the royal flush gang episode, but after they get off of evil businessman of the week, it is a reaaally cool show. You have a lot of great stuff to come in season 2. (Can't agree on that marvel movie assessment though)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So what's a good episode to jump into Arrow on then? I watched the pilot and hated nearly everything about it. When does it get good so I can test whether youse guys are fulla shit or not?

Splatt

I was a bit tongue in cheek with that Marvel statement, but Thor 2 really is a safe, predictable and boring movie.

Can't wait for Avengers 2 tho.
I wanted Jarvis to be Ultron :(

So what's a good episode to jump into Arrow on then? I watched the pilot and hated nearly everything about it. When does it get good so I can test whether youse guys are fulla shit or not?

First 10 episodes are crud, IMO. The dude that plays Oliver is pretty stiff as an actor and as donie said, most of those early episodes are evil businessman of the week.

After that, plot threads introduced early on keep coming together and shit keeps escalating. I think every episode ended on a cliffhanger :lol:

Also, Oliver actor gets in the groove and becomes bearable.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just keep watching from the start.

No that's not going to happen, I hated that first ep so much if I have to watch even one more like that I won't come back. Arrow fans, you have precisely one hour to sell me on this show. When do the 'evil businessman of the week' episodes end?

Messi

No that's not going to happen, I hated that first ep so much if I have to watch even one more like that I won't come back. Arrow fans, you have precisely one hour to sell me on this show. When do the 'evil businessman of the week' episodes end?

If you hated the first ep then I really doubt the show is for you. It generally keeps the same quality. You either like how it's played or not.

Also they still have those episodes but with more story ties.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
If you hated the first ep then I really doubt the show is for you. It generally keeps the same quality. You either like how it's played or not.

Also they still have those episodes but with more story ties.

You're probably right, ta :) people keep saying "it gets good" I don't buy it. They said that about Smallville too, the liars!

I think it jumps up in quality around episode 9 man. (Changed this ep number a few times trying to rmemeber, just wiki'ed eventually and settled at ep 9), I'd give it a shot around there for a few eps. If it's a no there, it's a no. A lot of it for me is once the core three come together as the little arrow team, that's what gets me through the duller episodes and makes them all worth watching. As more and more DCU concepts and characters come in, it's really cool too.

It's interesting some of you guys feel it's a love it from the start or nothing kind of deal. I really feel the opposite, I really super super close to jumping off during the first episodes. As I mentioned, I think there's a huge difference towards mid season, with the group dynamic coming in and the plot moving into a more coherent thing than just Oliver killing faceless dudes. Those were major shifts for me as a viewer, I could definitely see someone disliking the first few, maybe even the first third of the season, then getting into it.

tim1138

You're probably right, ta :) people keep saying "it gets good" I don't buy it. They said that about Smallville too, the liars!

Yeah, Messi is right. If you hated the pilot I can't see you liking the show later on. The quality of the show definitely improves but its not like it has a huge tonal shift or anything, it's still a superhero soap opera on the CW (and I say that as someone who loves the show).

It's you guys who caused the rapid uptake of books. You are all recommending books every month and I pick them up and never drop them lol

Pretty much this. Once people start recommending stuff it's hard not to give it a shot. And when you haven't read in so long that everything is new it's hard to control the urge to buy more. Hopefully I'll catch up eventually. Makes me really want to stop buying books and just sign up for marvel unlimited already since that would probably save a lot.

And arrow seems ok, but sort of feels too soap operay for me. My friend likes it so I started to watch a few episodes.

HAHA! ^ (messi),, well put.

Just read the first 4 issues of DrumHellar,, took a couple issues to get some sort of an idea of what the hells going on . lol
Pretty cool tho, decent art some cool colors, weird but interesting story.

This is one of my favourite reads every month. I like Drum a lot. And just the hook: dude is a psychic detective and the drugs he takes lead him to clues and discoveries. That premise tickles me so. And I'm able to enjoy the story, such as it is, for its wacky coolness. But I think that's because I dig the character dynamics and dialogue, which I'm learning are more important to me in a book than plot or story structure. Plus the art and colours are glorious, IMO.

Pretty much this. Once people start recommending stuff it's hard not to give it a shot. And when you haven't read in so long that everything is new it's hard to control the urge to buy more. Hopefully I'll catch up eventually. Makes me really want to stop buying books and just sign up for marvel unlimited already since that would probably save a lot.

Lol I told myself I would catch up on current marvel books by waiting it out for TPBs, then last week I started buying HCs cuz I didn't feel like waiting, now I'm freaking ordering back issues from the last few months from midtown comics. Le sigh, no self control haha.

Unai

I wish so much DC would do something like marvel unlimited. I would gladly pay $30,00 a month.

Why don't you want my money, DC?

I wish so much DC would do something like marvel unlimited. I would gladly pay $30,00 a month.

Why don't you want my money, DC?

Yeah, I complained about that earlier in the thread and it doesn't seem like it'll change anytime soon. They aren't even consistent with issues that also have digital copies. I would sign up for it in a heartbeat though.

Cheska

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but you guys should really check out instocktrades to catch up on back issues. Their service has been great, and everything is significantly less than retailers and even Amazon.

Quake1028

w00t just got the Avengers classic Omni for $28 new from Amazon through CGN. Will be my 2nd Omni, also got a super cheap copy of X-Statix last year.

Larry Hama talks milestones, writing 200 issues of 'G.I.Joe: A Real American Hero' (CBR)

Congrats to Larry on an epic run that shows no signs of stopping (barring cancellation, as when it stopped the first time). Joe comics were my hands-down favorite comics growing up (probably up until I started reading cape comics, actually), but I have to confess that when Larry came back to ARH at IDW I couldn't get into them anymore despite trying; for me, too much time had passed it seems. But not for him, though; hearing Larry talk makes it sound like he still has fun doing it all these years later. Plus, it's crazy to hear Larry say that he never plans anything out in advance, and that's the way he's done it the whole time... and yet looking back, that somehow makes complete sense.

CBR: Do you have any idea how many more Joe stories you've got left to tell? Have you ever thought about a way to end the run entirely, however years down the line that may be?

HAMA: I never think about the ending of anything until I get to it. I can go on telling "Joe" stories for as long as I still have my marbles. I used to write two "Joe" titles a month while holding down a day job as an editor and playing with my band two nights a week!
The march to #300 begins!

Also, it's February 14th ComicGAF. Happy Valentine's. :D

oyOdBGv.jpg

I think it jumps up in quality around episode 9 man. (Changed this ep number a few times trying to rmemeber, just wiki'ed eventually and settled at ep 9), I'd give it a shot around there for a few eps. If it's a no there, it's a no. A lot of it for me is once the core three come together as the little arrow team, that's what gets me through the duller episodes and makes them all worth watching. As more and more DCU concepts and characters come in, it's really cool too.

It's interesting some of you guys feel it's a love it from the start or nothing kind of deal. I really feel the opposite, I really super super close to jumping off during the first episodes. As I mentioned, I think there's a huge difference towards mid season, with the group dynamic coming in and the plot moving into a more coherent thing than just Oliver killing faceless dudes. Those were major shifts for me as a viewer, I could definitely see someone disliking the first few, maybe even the first third of the season, then getting into it.

This sounds about right to me. The first half of season 1 had a lot of CW-isms that made me dislike it.

Messi

Larry Hama talks milestones, writing 200 issues of 'G.I.Joe: A Real American Hero' (CBR)

Congrats to Larry on an epic run that shows no signs of stopping (barring cancellation, as when it stopped the first time). Joe comics were my hands-down favorite comics growing up (probably up until I started reading cape comics, actually), but I have to confess that when Larry came back to ARH at IDW I couldn't get into them anymore despite trying; for me, too much time had passed it seems. But not for him, though; hearing Larry talk makes it sound like he still has fun doing it all these years later. Plus, it's crazy to hear Larry say that he never plans anything out in advance, and that's the way he's done it the whole time... and yet looking back, that somehow makes complete sense.

The march to #300 begins!

Also, it's February 14th ComicGAF. Happy Valentine's. :D

oyOdBGv.jpg

As we established before Wonder Woman could make Batman a happy dude. Would be an awesome couple. She needs to dump Clark and replace him with Bats in the team up book.

Tizoc

Megatron is so great. He's still a bastard, but you can tell he does care about 'his' people. He started off with the best intentions (kinda) but after a million years of war things have got somewhat blurred.

I personally think he simply enjoys all the carnage and pain he causes and 'subtly' trolls the other Cybertronians and Autobots.
Gotta have some fun if (far as I can remember) his whole plan is to simply turn the entire known universe into a Cyber-utopia.

Heh, after a little begging, my wife gave me the go ahead to preorder the Batman/Catwoman Hush statue. With my LCS discount, it came to 205. That's my share of my work bonus.

arkon

My Unknown Soldier volume 1 trade should be here too. I noticed some packages had arrived as I was heading off to work. It was hard to refuse that bookdepository price.

I still need to check out Unknown Soldier with how much you guys have been raving about it in this thread.

Myself, I have Avengers and New Avengers #1 HCs delivering today, should have my Avengers #2, Guardians of the Galaxy #1 and Infinity HCs delivering mid next week. Pretty pumped to dig in to those.

My Unknown Soldier volume 1 trade should be here too. I noticed some packages had arrived as I was heading off to work. It was hard to refuse that bookdepository price.

Omg, is everyone just buying it now? This is brilliant. I can actually do a one of us chant now. Really looking forward to thoughts and feelings about it, interested what everyone thinks when Ponticelli changes the colouring style to match the change of the seasons too.

Myself, I have Avengers and New Avengers #1 HCs delivering today, should have my Avengers #2, Guardians of the Galaxy #1 and Infinity HCs delivering mid next week. Pretty pumped to dig in to those.

Let me know what you think of that Guardians trade. After enjoying ANXM and Uncanny so much, it's kind of tempting to check out. That issues 1-3 though. I realise there's other extra issue things in it, but still, so mean. I have no intention of buying it, but this is like that Wood X-men book. 4 issues of the book plus a 30 year old reprint to pad the trade out. Wtf. Such hateful behaviour.

tim1138

I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears again, but you all should check out Ray Fawkes two creator owned OGN's: One Soul and the Spectral Engine. One Soul takes the traditional nine panel comic page layout and turns it on its head a bit to tell 18 unique stories at the same time. The Spectral Engine is a collection of thirteen Canadian ghost stories tied together with a ghost train that ferries the souls of the deceased through time and space and is beautifully illustrated in black and white.

I dunno what's in the water in Canada, but they've turned out some fantastic creators.

I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears again, but you all should check out Ray Fawkes two creator owned OGN's: One Soul and the Spectral Engine. One Soul takes the traditional nine panel comic page layout and turns it on its head a bit to tell 18 unique stories at the same time. The Spectral Engine is a collection of thirteen Canadian ghost stories tied together with a ghost train that ferries the souls of the deceased through time and space and is beautifully illustrated in black and white.

I dunno what's in the water in Canada, but they've turned out some fantastic creators.

I'd really love to check out his stuff at some point. One Soul at least, I've saw so much positive praise for, and The Spectral Engine sounds really cool too.Still gotta round out my Lemire collection though, I still don't have Essex County!

arkon

I'm tempted by this, but I want to get through some of the Kot and Kindt books that I've bought first. There's no end to the stuff I want!

These sound wonderful. Thanks for the reminder, Tim. I don't know if it is the water or not, but Canada does indeed turn out some great cartooning talent. Actually, come to think of it, it may in fact be the water. It is quite delicious in many parts of the country.

If there was anyway I could justify it I would buy them right now. But, like some others, I already have way too many unread books on my shelf at the moment. I'll definitely keep those on my radar, though.

tim1138

Just keep Fawkes in mind next time you make an IST order or visit your local public lending library. I'd love to see some discussion of his stuff here.

I started back into comics last July with 2 trades and an issue of Deadpool (the iron Fist and Luke cage one) now I pull 40-50 books a month. This hobby sure is a grower.

I am you last July.. FML my wallet can't handle it.

I already have plans to hit my local shop after work.. again..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom