• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I finished reading the X-Statix omnibus. What a fantastic read. If anyone hasn't checked it out yet, I'd highly recommend it. All around a brilliant comic.
Also, that Dead Girl miniseries at the end of the omnibus featuring Doctor Strange was so good. That was my first time reading something with Doctor Strange in it and at least the way Milligan wrote him, he was a great character.
Any other Doctor Strange appearances that are worth reading?

"Downbeat yet strangely moving FINAL ISSUE!"

On the strange front, a recent good one was The Oath, by Brian K. Vaughan and Marcos Martin.

Unai

I consider myself to buy a lot of books, and I'm only spending around half of that on a monthly basis. How many books are you reading?

Well, I just read the entire Green Lantern/Green Lantern Corps run from 2005 to 2011, but some of them were bought in the end of the year.

I'll have to think a little bit how I will spend my comic book money from now on.

- The physical releases are very cheap in my country, but the paper is shit. And there are no such thing as trades or even single issues, only mixes (like batman #20, detective comics #20 and dark knight #20 in one book);
- Comixology is really, really good in my galaxy tab 10.1, but very expensive.

I was reading in physical format 30 or so DC books a month.

arkon

They actually resolicited that to include the missing issues. I'm really looking forward to picking that up this May.

Didn't realize they'd done this. Excellent. I've been looking to try this out since I've enjoyed some of Johns' past work.

tim1138

Didn't realize they'd done this. Excellent. I've been looking to try this out since I've enjoyed some of Johns' past work.

They didn't make a big deal about it all, so I'm not surprised people missed it. I only caught it because I was looking for the release date of the reprint of Ostrander's Spectre tpb.

IST order of Planetary Omni and Power Girl Power Trip made. I spend too much money. I have been rewarding myself lately for quitting smoking though.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
"Downbeat yet strangely moving FINAL ISSUE!"

On the strange front, a recent good one was The Oath, by Brian K. Vaughan and Marcos Martin.

Haha yes. So good.

And thanks! I came across that one in my quick browsing of Doctor Strange's wikipedia page but wasn't sure if people liked it, though I figured it had to at least be decent since it's BKV. I'll definitely add it to my list of things I gotta read sometime.

Speaking of money, I realized today that I pay more for comics on Comixology than I do if I opt to buy a hard copy at my shop. The shop charges US cover price and no tax when you have a pull box. The comics I get on Comixology I pay for through Paypal and there is a fun little Can/US conversation that jacks up the price. So much for guided view and reducing clutter.

I've been doing that with weight loss.

Smoking was costing us around 60 bucks a week between the actual cigs and getting drinks and snacks at the gas station while we were there. We also cut down on how much we are eating out too. I have the hobby of comics to thank for this though. Instead of dropping books and settling with my vices and a few books, now I get what I want usually within reason.

Owzers

Smoking was costing us around 60 bucks a week between the actual cigs and getting drinks and snacks at the gas station while we were there. We also cut down on how much we are eating out too. I have the hobby of comics to thank for this though. Instead of dropping books and settling with my vices and a few books, now I get what I want usually within reason.

Soooo comics addiction is stronger than nicotine? Now i know why people buy Bendis books.

Dan Slott has been beefing with Rich Johnston for years, he thinks that nigga is the scum of the Earth, the vulture that swoops around the village picking off people. He would probably physically fight him if he could get away with it.

tim1138

Dan Slott has been beefing with Rich Johnston for years, he thinks that nigga is the scum of the Earth, the vulture that swoops around the village picking off people. He would probably physically fight him if he could get away with it.

That'd be a great Comic Con attraction, Slott v Johnston in a fight to the death! Two nerds enter, one nerd leaves!

Messi

what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png

I am so confused

kmfdmpig

I'm just going to pretend you said you like Nextwave.

Reading Nextwave now and loving it. I'm not sure how I missed it. Has Ellis done anything worth checking out in the last few years (I loved Transmet, Stormwatch/Authority and am enjoying Nextwave)

Bendis is mostly a miss for me, but I love Alias, so that makes up for a lot of his other stuff.

ReiGun

#dead

The Legend of Zelda: The List Waker

Justice League #28
Supergirl #28
Wonder Woman #28
Captain America #17
Uncanny X-Men #17

ElNarez

Banned
I don't know who the comics industry would be better without. Johnston is scum, but Dan Slott fucking ruined Spider-Man, which is absolutely criminal.

What I do know however, is
  • Whoa, reading The Authority and then Nextwave and seeing how one informs the other is CRAYYYY
  • LIST
Animal Man #28
Batman And Two-Face #28
Justice League #28
Wonder Woman #28

Adventure Time #25
Quantum & Woody #8

Avengers World #3
Captain America #17
Daredevil #36
Iron Man Annual #1
New Warriors #1
Punisher #2
Uncanny X-Men #17

Owzers

Reading Nextwave now and loving it. I'm not sure how I missed it. Has Ellis done anything worth checking out in the last few years (I loved Transmet, Stormwatch/Authority and am enjoying Nextwave)

Bendis is mostly a miss for me, but I love Alias, so that makes up for a lot of his other stuff.

His small Thunderbolts run, around twelve issues collected in one ultimate collection tpb, was really good too. Not wacky fun like Nextwave, but actiony villianous fun.

Question for those reading Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye. Do I have to have a knowledge of the other IDW series, or is it stand alone?
I'd reccomend reading the "Death of Optimus Prime" Oneshot (It's included in the first tradeback volume).
It references some stuff from previous IDW series, but Roberts does his best to make it understandable for new readers. However, the series is currently in a crossover event with it's sister series Robots in Disguise. MTMTE is completely self contained until issue 22.

You should also check out Last Stand of the Wreckers by the same author because it is trully awesome.

Also, my Rronglist
DC COMICS
Batman And Two-Face #28
Fables #138
Justice League #28
Supergirl #28
Unwritten Volume 2 Apocalypse #2
Wonder Woman #28

IMAGE COMICS
Morning Glories #37

VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT
Quantum And Woody #8

MARVEL COMICS
Amazing X-Men #4
Avengers World #3
Captain America #17
Daredevil #36
New Warriors #1
Nova #13.NOW
Punisher #2
Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #10
Uncanny X-Men #17

Late to the party as usual. Finished reading the latest WatXM, Thor, Superior Spidey and All-New X-Men last night. Pretty much enjoying all of my pull list at the moment, but it's getting harder to keep up all the time. The Guardians tie-in to All-New X-Men had me looking for all the back issues of Guardians last week just so I could follow it all through. Damn you Marvel! Gonna be poor.

Do any of you use a reading source to keep up with what ties in with what? I'd love if Marvel had a "prior reading recommended" section somewhere in the books. I know you get checklists with the main events like Infinity, Battle of the Atom etc, but the continuity of other books sometimes confuses me.

Owzers

Between skimming the solicits for Marvel/DC each month and news that gets posted here/newsarma/announcements, it's not that hard to know when a book has a tie-in issue.

Messi

The first issue of Planetary was free on Comixology so I just read it. I think this may be something I'd like. But damn it is pricey even on amazon. Maybe I will buy a few more singles and see if I am feeling it.

How is Catwoman: When in Rome? Considering what I generally like.

The first issue of Planetary was free on Comixology so I just read it. I think this may be something I'd like. But damn it is pricey even on amazon. Maybe I will buy a few more singles and see if I am feeling it.

How is Catwoman: When in Rome? Considering what I generally like.

Is it pricey? The omnibus is only $50 for 864pgs. That doesn't seem too bad compared to others.

Messi

Is it pricey? The omnibus is only $50 for 864pgs. That doesn't seem too bad compared to others.

£40 on amazon, fairly sure my local had it for €59.99 lol. I suppose I just think its expensive as I don't know very much about it so it seems like a bigger financial risk.

Cheska

Mo' Money Mo' Comics List!

Amazing X-Men #4
Batwoman #28
Birds of Prey #28
Harley Quinn #3 For you Messi!
Justice League #28
Wonder Woman #28

Kind of a small week for me.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm catching up with Superior Spider-Man (issue #10 atm) and, even though I'm enjoying it, I was left scratching my head with the lack of consequences from
Spider-man killing Massacre. He shot him point blank in front of many people, including the police
, but it doesn't feel like anyone reacted like they should in the following issues. The Avengers mention it but it's more like "dude, you
executed that guy
, you shouldn't do that ok? Cool.".

In issue #10 the officers are interrogated, and it's mentioned that every single person that was there isn't saying anything, but that's super far-fetched considering how many people were shown in those pages. At that point someone
would surely have sold the story to a newspaper or have filmed it with their phones and uploaded it online
. Feels weird to have such a thing happen and then follow up with a contrived aftermath so it's not a bigger deal with the necessary (and potentially interesting) repercussions. I guess this particular thing shouldn't bother me since I can overlook everyone but Carlie not caring about Peter acting completely off his rocker for so long, but yeah. Just felt like it would lead to something bigger.

You know what. I like Bendis. There I said it.

Please don't hate me.

Ultimate Spider-Man has been great for years. His Avengers was aimless, but I think his X-Men work has been much better. All-New X-Men was on fire when it first started, and Uncanny was pretty great until the second arc. He needs someone to focus him past his opening salvo.

£40 on amazon, fairly sure my local had it for €59.99 lol. I suppose I just think its expensive as I don't know very much about it so it seems like a bigger financial risk.

Ah, ok. I can appreciate it in that sense but didn't look much more than other omnibuses I've looked at and isn't a skimpy one in size.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Ultimate Spider-Man has been great for years. His Avengers was aimless, but I think his X-Men work has been much better. All-New X-Men was on fire when it first started, and Uncanny was pretty great until the second arc. He needs someone to focus him past his opening salvo.

Also, Powers. Powers is great. When it actually comes out.

I loved The Fuse #1. Enjoyed it much more than I have been Antony Johnston's other Image ongoing, Umbral. The Fuse is looking to do gritty, sci-fi mystery with sharp, sardonic characters. Stoked!

MG310

Got my Midtown order for the month...

She Hulk was pretty enjoyable. Reminds me of the more lighthearted parts of the current Daredevil run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom