• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
How the fuck have I never checked out In Stock Trades before tonight? 45% off DC trades?

CheapGraphicNovels.com sells new & preorders hardcovers for 50% off. But they do charge $7 for shipping. So it's best to order a few books at once so you only pay the shipping fee once. I'm thinking about preordering the Annilation omnibus, Cataclysm and the Infinity Guantlst omnibus from CGN soon.

ElNarez

Banned
You know what. I like Bendis. There I said it.

Please don't hate me.

Same, and X-Men is basically the one book where he can let loose and have people have adventures and talk about their feelings because this kind of soap-operatic shit is the bread of butter of the franchise.

Plus he's got the Correct Beast opinion, which is that Ape Beast is superior to Cat Beast, Lion Beast, or Goat Beast

arkon

The first issue of Planetary was free on Comixology so I just read it. I think this may be something I'd like. But damn it is pricey even on amazon. Maybe I will buy a few more singles and see if I am feeling it.

How is Catwoman: When in Rome? Considering what I generally like.

It collects the entire series pretty much, which equates to about 4 trades. So you're looking at equivalent of 4 £10 tpbs. Reasonable price I'd say. A quick look on amazon uk shows the first three trades in stock, so you can always go that route rather than the omnibus.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
CheapGraphicNovels.com sells new & preorders hardcovers for 50% off. But they do charge $7 for shipping. So it's best to order a few books at once so you only pay the shipping fee once. I'm thinking about preordering the Annilation omnibus, Cataclysm and the Infinity Guantlst omnibus from CGN soon.

How do people like the content from the Annihilation and Infinity Gauntlet omnibuses? Both of those caught my eye (especially since I haven't read any space stuff yet, and that sounds pretty fun), but having that $125 MSRP, it'll be really hard to convince myself to buy without knowing what I'm getting into. Are one or both of those top-tier stories?
Regarding that $125 MSRP though, with Infinity Gauntlet I get it, since it's over 1200 pages, but Annihilation is 880. That's pretty lame. And it's a shame too, since I probably would've went for it for the inevitable $50 price point.

Well, I finished reading the X-Statix omnibus. What a fantastic read. If anyone hasn't checked it out yet, I'd highly recommend it. All around a brilliant comic.
Also, that Dead Girl miniseries at the end of the omnibus featuring Doctor Strange was so good. That was my first time reading something with Doctor Strange in it and at least the way Milligan wrote him, he was a great character.
Any other Doctor Strange appearances that are worth reading?
Matt Fraction's Defenders run as a whole is forgettable as hell BUT Defenders #4 is a really solid Doc Strange solo issue drawn by Michael Lark and it's really good, so if you see that lying around, i recommend reading it

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Matt Fraction's Defenders run as a whole is forgettable as hell BUT Defenders #4 is a really solid Doc Strange solo issue drawn by Michael Lark and it's really good, so if you see that lying around, i recommend reading it

Thanks! I'll definitely keep an eye out.

Anybody else see this Twitter feud between Dan Slott and Rich from BC? Feel like telling them both to shut up.

I'd be more inclined to agree with Dan if the publishers weren't just as bad. Bleeding cool is not the national news. It's a niche site known for spoilers, no-one is going to go on there and not get what they wanted. Mavel or DC literally will put a comic spoiler in the national news months before it happens if they think it'll get coverage. It actually makes Tom Brennan's (editor at marvel, previous worked for CBS news actually) tweet backing Slott up kind of funny: "Imagine if E! or whatever played footage of the last scene of House of Cards" since Marvel will literally ask the equivalent to do this.

That said, if we ignore the contradictions, as a general rule of thumb I agree. I think posting spoilers does mess with people's compulsions on a base level, both in their will to not look at them and then spread them, even in they didn't want to know/see them originally. Once people know that they're there, they have a much harder time not looking, and it would be better for the world if they weren't there on BC. This isn't really Rich Johnston's problem though.

On the topic of spoilers: I've never understood this backlash against them. I mean, sure, I get that there are people who are going to want to avoid them but that's on you, the Spoiler Avoider. I've always operated on a belief that it's fair game once the information is public.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
So I want to read the new series of Amazing Spider-Man when that starts in a few months - how essential is Superior Spider-Man going to be? Will I be able to jump right into the new series or should I start getting Superior trades now?

I'm assuming Superior is coming to an end with the launch of Amazing?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
1. Batman: Arkham Asylum
2. Batman: Gothic
3. Batman and Son
4. Batman: The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul
5. Batman: The Black Glove
6. Batman R.I.P.
7. Final Crisis
8. Batman and Robin, Vol. 1: Batman Reborn
9. Batman and Robin, Vol. 2: Batman vs. Robin
10. Batman: Time and the Batman
11. Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne
12. Batman and Robin, Vol. 3: Batman and Robin Must Die
13. Batman Incorporated, Vol. 1
14. Batman Incorporated, Vol. 1: Demon Star (The New 52)
15. Batman Incorporated, Vol. 2: Gotham's Most Wanted (The New 52)

Fixed! Messi, don't bother with the stuff I've lined through, very not necessary at all. Well OK there's like one bit in the Ra's book that counts but it's shit, wiki that bit. Suprised Freeze didn't stick 52 in there too since a very key bit happens there to kick it all off.

Basically, just buy the first book. If you like it, buy the second one.

Comics fans are so OCD.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Well, I just read the entire Green Lantern/Green Lantern Corps run from 2005 to 2011, but some of them were bought in the end of the year.

I'll have to think a little bit how I will spend my comic book money from now on.

- The physical releases are very cheap in my country, but the paper is shit. And there are no such thing as trades or even single issues, only mixes (like batman #20, detective comics #20 and dark knight #20 in one book);
- Comixology is really, really good in my galaxy tab 10.1, but very expensive.

I was reading in physical format 30 or so DC books a month.

Buy trade paperbacks from amazon/InStockTrades. Sounds like singles in your country are a crapshoot.

Mafro

Anybody else see this Twitter feud between Dan Slott and Rich from BC? Feel like telling them both to shut up.
Slott completely embarrassing himself as usual. As Rich pointed out, the comic was already available worldwide on Comixology but Slott seems to think the world revolves around America when it comes to spoilers.

phoenixyz

I recently started reading The Unwritten and, man, it's awesome. But I am wondering if all the foreign language parts are google-translate-and-typos-quality like the german in volume 2... If you obviously have nobody who actually speaks the language to give it a quick look (really, Vertigo?) just use the <this is a foreign language!> technique instead.

Tizoc

Fixed! Messi, don't bother with the stuff I've lined through, very not necessary at all. Well OK there's like one bit in the Ra's book that counts but it's shit, wiki that bit. Suprised Freeze didn't stick 52 in there too since a very key bit happens there to kick it all off.

Basically, just buy the first book. If you like it, buy the second one.

Comics fans are so OCD.

IMO Return of Bruce Wayne should be read AFTER Vol. 3 of B&R, granted some stuff would be a little confusing reading it later but I feel that seeing Bruce's sudden return adds to that 'Morrison' naritive feel ;)

All this [Earlier] talk of statues is making me want to buy a statue.

Why am I looking at the Power Girl / Huntress duo statue? It's so expensive. Stop.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
There has to be a couple of big omnibus editions of Morrison's entire Batman run in the works.

I hope not, omnibuses suck :p I want 3 OHCs collecting the entire run in an easy to ready and good looking format. First would be the entire Black Glove saga through to RIP, second would be all of B&R including RoBW, third would be Inc. Would be perfect.

Wiseblade

So I want to read the new series of Amazing Spider-Man when that starts in a few months - how essential is Superior Spider-Man going to be? Will I be able to jump right into the new series or should I start getting Superior trades now?

I'm assuming Superior is coming to an end with the launch of Amazing?
Judging from thenway Superior has run and is looking to end, Amazing is going to be about Peter trying to put his life back together after Otto royally screwed it up. If you want to know exactly how badly Pete's life was ruined, then read Superior.

However, given Marvel's love of slapping #1 on everything and the timing of Amazing's return, I doubt you'll need to know the particulars to enjoy it.

LIST:

AMAZING X-MEN #4
DISNEY KINGDOMS SEEKERS OF THE WEIRD #2
MARVEL KNIGHTS: THE HULK #3
NEW WARRIORS #1 (maybe?)
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEADPOOL #3
PUNISHER #2
UNDERTOW #1

Owzers

On the topic of spoilers: I've never understood this backlash against them. I mean, sure, I get that there are people who are going to want to avoid them but that's on you, the Spoiler Avoider. I've always operated on a belief that it's fair game once the information is public.

Just don't put the spoiler in the title of the article so that people casually browsing get it spoiled as well as those who want to read the spoilers.

Messi

Graphitti designs are charging 30$ on top of the cost of the Batman and Robin shirt to get one :(. But it's so awesome.

Vyer

I know Instock Trades has been talked about, but what's the other comics online store that gets mentioned in here from time to time?

arkon

It depends. Sometimes you can get spoiled in completely unrelated topics, when threads start to drift and people are a bit lax with spoilers.

It's not that much extra work to wrap something in spoiler tags.

what do you guys use for physical comics ordered online? My local shop is ok but they sell out way to fast. Also its hit or miss for some stuff.

I grabbed a few comics on my iPad and its ok but I really like owning an actual book.

Messi

what do you guys use for physical comics ordered online? My local shop is ok but they sell out way to fast. Also its hit or miss for some stuff.

I grabbed a few comics on my iPad and its ok but I really like owning an actual book.

Most use discount dcbs discount comic book store. I use Tfaw.com or rarely Midtown comics

ReiGun

It depends. Sometimes you can get spoiled in completely unrelated topics, when threads start to drift and people are a bit lax with spoilers.

It's not that much extra work to wrap something in spoiler tags.

Sometimes, you can get spoiled just opening your twitter.

This has probably been asked a thousand times but is there any UK equivalent of instocktrades? Basically I'm looking for anywhere that does deep discounts on hardcover graphics/trades.

arkon

Sometimes, you can get spoiled just opening your twitter.

Not sure if sarcastic.

What I mean is that if I'm avoiding spoilers I'll stay clear of the obvious threads. But sometimes that shit bleeds into other threads. I'd like to be able to avoid spoilers for certain things without going on a total internet/GAF blackout. Spoiler tag usage helps.

I suppose I'm mainly talking from a forum perspective. I try to avoid twitter usage altogether unless I'm really curious about what a particular creator is up to.

LosDaddie

Banned
Anybody ever use cheapgraphicnovels.com?

I'm using CGN for all my hardcover orders/preorders from now on. Half off if you preorder (or buy during the week of release), and they have great packaging. Hard to beat that.

I mainly buy hardcovers (omnibus & event trades) anyway. So going with CGN makes sense for me

Started catching up on things I'm behind on and checking out new things.

Got the #1 for Pretty Deadly, Velvet, Rat Queens and Rocket Girl on the Image app, enjoyed them, a little iffy on Rocket Girl though, didn't grab me like the other three did. Rat Queens may be my favorite of the bunch, but I'm partial to westerns. What's GAFs opinion on Rocket Girl, worth continuing?

Messi

Got the #1 for Pretty Deadly, Velvet, Rat Queens and Rocket Girl on the Image app, enjoyed them, a little iffy on Rocket Girl though, didn't grab me like the other three did. Rat Queens may be my favorite of the bunch, but I'm partial to westerns. What's GAFs opinion on Rocket Girl, worth continuing?

I like it but it's not as good as the others

I'm grabbing the rest of the books I've missed and I'm really conflicted on this current Kieron Gillen Iron Man run. Don't know if I should grab these first three books or not.

I've heard mixed things about how it started out...did it get any better after the first few issues?

Vibranium

Banned

Velvet is amazing. It gets better with every issue, Bru and Epting designed a fantastic femme fatale who actually looks like a real female spy would in that time period. Stuff went down in issue 3.

I'm grabbing the rest of the books I've missed and I'm really conflicted on this current Kieron Gillen Iron Man run. Don't know if I should grab these first three books or not.

I've heard mixed things about how it started out...did it get any better after the first few issues?

Apparently it revealed some stupid long-lost brother thing for Tony that will probably be retconned within a few years. A lot of people are saying it's pretty bad, I'd wait until Gillen is off the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom