• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone day journey into mystery??

7M2f7ZF.jpg

:( :( :(

IMG_20140215_165104_625.jpg

Woohoo, Scribblenauts figures!

6BB1FF40-5501-41B7-AB5C-588C97B2D5B3_zpsqzp7ejzd.jpg

Got these today. The comic shop I go to didn't have them, but GameStop carries them. First time I've been in that store in years. They had the Aquaman open on the counter as a display and luckily the guy let me buy it. Aquaman is my largest collection of figures. Pretty fun purchase, can't beat $5.

Damn it, I don't get my Samurai Jack comics from my LCB because they don't order enough to get the Genndy covers. So I've been ordering them online. It's over a month before it comes out and issue 6 is fucking sold out everywhere. Call the LCB and they're already sold out of it and nothing they can do. This makes me an unhappy panda.

*Edit*

Found some one who isn't sold out YAY! No more Genndy covers though?

KidDork

Just starting Infinity. For some reason I'd been buying Avengers and New Avengers but never picked up the Infinity series itself. This is what happens when you just buy books and put them in your longboxes because you're too busy to read them as they come out.

Sigh.

I did try to read She Hulk #1. Liked what I read until my beloved cat shredded the cover and the first six pages.

Messi

Just starting Infinity. For some reason I'd been buying Avengers and New Avengers but never picked up the Infinity series itself. This is what happens when you just buy books and put them in your longboxes because you're too busy to read them as they come out.

Sigh.

I did try to read She Hulk #1. Liked what I read until my beloved cat shredded the cover and the first six pages.

Maybe your cat had good taste and didn't like the art or derp faces?

Toa TAK

Banned
Finished reading Ultimate Spider-Man, and I got to say, this is probably my favorite interpretation of the character and cast. A few of the issues were a bit weak towards the end, and I'm not sure if I really care all that much for the Ultimatum ending, but everything else was amazing. The requiem issues were a nice way to tie the knot, though.

Now marching along to Ultimate Comics (is that what they're really calling it?) Spider-Man.

Do any of you guys like All New X-men? I am new to comics but love the X-men and want to start an Xbook. it looks like the first few volumes of it are pretty cheap.

or is there a better place to start for a more recent X-men book?

KidDork

Do any of you guys like All New X-men? I am new to comics but love the X-men and want to start an Xbook. it looks like the first few volumes of it are pretty cheap. or is there a better place to start for a more recent X-men book?

People either love or hate Bendis, so if you like him, then you'll enjoy All New. Immonen's art is purty, as well. The storyline in All New is interesting if you enjoy time travel. Still,if you want what many consider to be the best X-book in the last five years, then hunt down trades of Rick Remender's X-Force book. Like, now.

Wiseblade

Do any of you guys like All New X-men? I am new to comics but love the X-men and want to start an Xbook. it looks like the first few volumes of it are pretty cheap.

I like it, but to get the most out of it at the beginning you'd be best off getting Uncanny too. They read really well together.

People either love or hate Bendis, so if you like him, then you'll enjoy All New. Immonen's art is purty, as well. The storyline in All New is interesting if you enjoy time travel. Still,if you want what many consider to be the best X-book in the last five years, then hunt down trades of Rick Remender's X-Force book. Like, now.

KidDork's opinion is a fine one, I disagree with the bold though. I've read through and owned a lot of Bendis stuff and don't necessarily agree. There's been a number of books I've read by him I've felt a very on point, and some very poor. Nothing to do with a applying a black and white evalution of him as a writer. That said, again, KD's opinion is his own and worth considering.

I would say All-New X-men is one of the best things he's done is a very long time, and I really really love it. I just got done reading through volume 1-3 of that and Uncanny 1-2. I'm personally reading the two as one book, I'd perhaps recommend that. ANXM itself is some really great character focused soap opera drama. It's very concerned with the young x-men reactions to the changes they see around them, & the feeling that bubble to the surface for the modern day x-men (and x-villians!) upon seeing the 05. He handles the ensemble real well and imo, the strength of the character relationship makes the lack of super focal plot happenings acceptable where it wasn't for me in UC Spider-man. And again, I read Uncanny, where it feels like Bendis is pushing the plot harder and a bit edgier.

ReiGun

Not sure if sarcastic.

What I mean is that if I'm avoiding spoilers I'll stay clear of the obvious threads. But sometimes that shit bleeds into other threads. I'd like to be able to avoid spoilers for certain things without going on a total internet/GAF blackout. Spoiler tag usage helps.

I suppose I'm mainly talking from a forum perspective. I try to avoid twitter usage altogether unless I'm really curious about what a particular creator is up to.

Not sarcastic. Just adding my own experience of having things spoiled just by logging into twitter and reading my feed.

Sometimes, even when trying to avoid the spoilers, shit happens.

I like it, but to get the most out of it at the beginning you'd be best off getting Uncanny too. They read really well together.

KidDork's opinion is a fine one, I disagree with the bold though. I've read through and owned a lot of Bendis stuff and don't necessarily agree. There's been a number of books I've read by him I've felt a very on point, and some very poor. Nothing to do with a applying a black and white evalution of him as a writer. That said, again, KD's opinion is his own and worth considering.

I would say All-New X-men is one of the best things he's done is a very long time, and I really really love it. I just got done reading through volume 1-3 of that and Uncanny 1-2. I'm personally reading the two as one book, I'd perhaps recommend that. ANXM itself is some really great character focused soap opera drama. It's very concerned with the young x-men reactions to the changes they see around them, & the feeling that bubble to the surface for the modern day x-men (and x-villians!) upon seeing the 05. He handles the ensemble real well and imo, the strength of the character relationship makes the lack of super focal plot happenings acceptable where it wasn't for me in UC Spider-man. And again, I read Uncanny, where it feels like Bendis is pushing the plot harder and a bit edgier.

thanks guys! I think I will pick up volume 1 of both Uncanny and ANXM. Also I kind of want that Remender Uncanny X-force omnibus that comes out next month.

what have you guys done to me.

thanks guys! I think I will pick up volume 1 of both Uncanny and ANXM. Also I kind of want that Remender Uncanny X-force omnibus that comes out next month.

what have you guys done to me.

I'm telling you right now you WILL NOT REGRET buying the Uncanny X-force Omni. I collected every issue of the original run and loved every one.

When The Movement and Green Team got announced i didn't really give them a chance because they seemed like gimmick books and my pull list is too large already. I think releasing these together was a mistake as it didn't give either book a chance to stand on its own.

I don't think this is the case at all. It's simply a matter of people unwilling to try something that isn't "safe", by either being a known property or having a name behind it. The Movement was absolutely an enjoyable series with the same quality work that Simone gives almost all of her titles. Why anyone would think Simone is going to pass her name off on a gimmick book boggles my mind.

Velvet is amazing. It gets better with every issue, Bru and Epting designed a fantastic femme fatale who actually looks like a real female spy would in that time period. Stuff went down in issue 3.
I read up to issue 3, loving it so far. Bru is always reliable for a good read.

Messi

I really love it and it is incredibly easy to get into. I was in the same situation as you and all new was my first X book. I love kitty :p

Oh thank God, that sounds perfect.

IST shipping practices? Yeah. They're great. They wrap the entire order all snug in plastic on a comic board, then fill in all the empty space in the box with those vacuum-seal foam packs. You know, the silver ones that are completely useless for anything other than the package they came in because of their shape.

Owzers

I don't think this is the case at all. It's simply a matter of people unwilling to try something that isn't "safe", by either being a known property or having a name behind it. The Movement was absolutely an enjoyable series with the same quality work that Simone gives almost all of her titles. Why anyone would think Simone is going to pass her name off on a gimmick book boggles my mind.

The set of books came out after the occupy movement in a pair, one of rich heroes and one of regular every day people, announced by The Huffington Post.

That looked like a gimmick, 100%. They could be good books and i don't think Simone was just passing her name off on a gimmick, but taking a job. I may even pick up the movement trade, but since dc hates trades and it's probably going to collect everything, it doesn't come out until MAY.

Kikarian

I'm not a huge fan of X-Men but I was thinking about reading this. I guess you should give it a try.

I'm going to start X-Men Legacy too.

MG310

The what looks like black and maroon looks a hell of a lot better than the other looks that made it onto the toys. Though I do like the actual outfit of the figure/promo shot version better.

Owzers

i'm getting nitpicky but gamora's make-up makes her look like she's wearing a green screen thing and that isn't the actual color of her skin.

MG310

Oh cool, I was wondering why they were waiting a bit longer to put the NYCC VIP tickets on sale this year..this is probably why. I'm definitely on board for at least one day.

Eldren

I may even pick up the movement trade, but since dc hates trades and it's probably going to collect everything, it doesn't come out until MAY.

Speaking of which, the 3rd Flash trade comes out next week! It contains the Gorilla Grodd story which somebody here (I can't remember who it was, sorry!) told me was the best story arc of the current run, so I'm excited to check that out. The first arc was great but I thought the issues collected in the second trade were a little patchy, mostly due to the larger number of artists, only one of which was Francis Manapul. Hopefully there's not too many art changes in this one.

Anyway, I haven't posted here in a while. I'm currently up to my eyeballs in the Secret Warriors Omnibus. This is a damn good book. I'm really enjoying it. Most of the art is by Stefano Casselli and Alessandro Vitti and coloured by Sunny Gho, with a few fill-in artists, so while there is some variation in the art it's not too bad, pretty consistent overall.

In addition to really liking the dialogue and characters, Hickman's design sensibility is on point. I love the pages he does of like character dossiers, the internal structure of HYDRA, the secret SHIELD bases, and especially the Great Wheel, seeing as it comes just as you're introduced to a few new characters. Really cool stuff. I'm probably a little under 2/3rds of the way through and it still feels like there's a lot left to come.

My trade backlog is up into the 80s now and I have another couple on the way, oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom