• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else thinking of jumping into Batman Eternal? I got a bit tired of Zero Year, but this might be the book I need to get back into Batman. The weekly release schedule has me a bit hesitant, though. Weekly books get a bit pricey, as that was what happened with Amazing Spidey when it was in the 600's.

Is anyone else thinking of jumping into Batman Eternal? I got a bit tired of Zero Year, but this might be the book I need to get back into Batman. The weekly release schedule has me a bit hesitant, though. Weekly books get a bit pricey, as that was what happened with Amazing Spidey when it was in the 600's.

Already added to my pull at the LCS.

How long does IST take to ship out books? Ordered Saturday and the status hasn't changed yet. I know I'm spoiled by Amazons constant updates but this is not a complaint, just for my curiosity.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Considering how often it comes out, I think I'll be trade waiting. Hopefully the fact it's weekly means the trades will come out more often than usual.

I'll be pulling it, I'm only pulling like four DC titles at the moment anyway. Batman 28 kind of sealed the deal, because
I want to see more of Harper Row.

Anyways finally read some more tonight:

X-Force #1: The Marrow narration was grating, with the music and the baby.
I think she's talking to the comatose Hope. Wait was that Hope on the table? I'm not sure now...
I really want to give this series a serious go because it is Si Spurrier, but I'm not crazy about the art. I'll give it another issue or two...

The Fuse #1: I was not expecting to like this as much as I did. I'm looking forward to more.

This really has nothing to do with current comics but does anyone here know what happened to Travis Charest? I thought he was a pretty awesome artist, shame he kinda fell off the face of the earth.

those Adventure Time comics have a bunch of good artists on them, several from webcomics too. definitely gonna buy some of those annuals

How long does IST take to ship out books? Ordered Saturday and the status hasn't changed yet. I know I'm spoiled by Amazons constant updates but this is not a complaint, just for my curiosity.

What time did you order on Saturday? No company does stuff on Sunday and today was a holiday.

frye

This really has nothing to do with current comics but does anyone here know what happened to Travis Charest? I thought he was a pretty awesome artist, shame he kinda fell off the face of the earth.

He probably got a day job that has nothing to do with comics.The last major project he took on was a Metabarons book where he was so slow (he produced something like 30 pages over a 6 year period) that he got replaced. And before that he did the first half-dozen or so issues of Lobdell/Casey WildCATs in like 2000?

He probably got a day job that has nothing to do with comics.The last major project he took on was a Metabarons book where he was so slow (he produced something like 30 pages over a 6 year period) that he got replaced. And before that he did the first half-dozen or so issues of Lobdell/Casey WildCATs in like 2000?

Yeah, I remember those issues... like you said, it seemed like he was either crazy slow or too much of a perfectionist. I thought maybe he became strictly a cover artist or something which would suit him well.

thanks guys! I think I will pick up volume 1 of both Uncanny and ANXM.

Just to add man, you probably want to get volumes 1 and 2 of ANXM THEN volume one of Uncanny. ANXM started just a little bit before Uncanny & double ships, so while they were both Marvel now books but the first two volumes of ANXM arrived before the first Uncanny trade. After that though you can just alternate between the two. I read it ANXM 1-2, UX 1, AN 3, UX 2.

Considering how often it comes out, I think I'll be trade waiting. Hopefully the fact it's weekly means the trades will come out more often than usual.

*Didio laughs*

Started catching up on things I'm behind on and checking out new things.

Got the #1 for Pretty Deadly, Velvet, Rat Queens and Rocket Girl on the Image app, enjoyed them, a little iffy on Rocket Girl though, didn't grab me like the other three did. Rat Queens may be my favorite of the bunch, but I'm partial to westerns. What's GAFs opinion on Rocket Girl, worth continuing?

I've been getting Rocket Girl, I like it, but I am also debating if I want to keep pulling it or not. I'll give it a couple more issues at least

I'm ordering stuff all the time, usually it doesn't take long at all. But with all the weather problems my last few orders have taken a little longer than usual. One of my orders they upgraded to FedEx shipping because I said something lol :)

Actually sat down and read through the Dan Scott / Rich Johnson Spoiler Drama.

Slott is a fucking idiot. He has literally no ground to stand on with his arguments. Not only does his company (and DC) spoil shit in a worse possible way (fucking headlines in a newspaper, spoiler tag that shit if you can, or solicits that reveal the end of an arc three months out) but he is exercising the worst kind of blame shifting. If you go to an article that says BATMAN #28 SPOILER INSIDE and are shocked that you are spoiled when you click on it you are a moron. It's not the websites fault. They don't have to be your nanny and protect your dumbass from the spoilers that you apparently can't help but click because you have no willpower?

Untagged spoilers, sure, that shit is the worst. But with proper warning there is no problem.

Just to add man, you probably want to get volumes 1 and 2 of ANXM THEN volume one of Uncanny. ANXM started just a little bit before Uncanny & double ships, so while they were both Marvel now books but the first two volumes of ANXM arrived before the first Uncanny trade. After that though you can just alternate between the two. I read it ANXM 1-2, UX 1, AN 3, UX 2.

*Didio laughs*

Thanks for this man! Hitting the LCS tonight!

ElNarez

Banned
to wit: I still don't fucking know shit about the girl green lantern except she's gonna pop up soon after, almost as if the guy who wrote Green Lantern at time and the guy writing Justice League were the same person. It's not that hard to not look at stuff.

And that is why untagged spoilers on day of release are the best system because they're not even spoilers the book is out I REST MY CASE

tim1138

Now that we're about seven months removed from the greatest Batman run of all time, I decided to give Snyder another shot and started his run over. Is it essential to read the Night of the Owls tie in issues or can I just move onto the Joker stuff?

While I do like Capullo's work on the book, Burnham is still my favorite recent Bat artist.

Messi

Now that we're about seven months removed from the greatest Batman run of all time, I decided to give Snyder another shot and started his run over. Is it essential to read the Night of the Owls tie in issues or can I just move onto the Joker stuff?

While I do like Capullo's work on the book, Burnham is still my favorite recent Bat artist.

I felt the tie ins were throwaway. Just move onto the Joker arc. The Joker tie ins were better IMO simply because joker was in them. Except Suicide Squad nuke those two issues from orbit. Poor Harley :(

The Night of the Owls tie ins are interesting but not required. Just know that Batman called in help to deal with the Talons.

When you get to the Joker stuff I feel the tie ins are a little bit more important because of the nature of the storyline and the family symbolism.

Edit: Chris Burnham still draws like ass. ;)

Except Suicide Squad nuke those two issues from orbit. Poor Harley :(

3581e0179b73803919ba9a55db0b57bc.jpg

tim1138

I felt the tie ins were throwaway. Just move onto the Joker arc. The Joker tie ins were better IMO simply because joker was in them. Except Suicide Squad nuke those two issues from orbit. Poor Harley :(

Works for me, now I don't have to wait for the library to get me the Night of the Owls trade.

After reading it again, I still don't like the Court of Owls stuff. It would have been cool if it would have been early seeds for Owlman and the Crime Syndicate, but as a threat to Batman it just doesn't interest me in the least.

GrandHarrier said:
The Night of the Owls tie ins are interesting but not required. Just know that Batman called in help to deal with the Talons.

When you get to the Joker stuff I feel the tie ins are a little bit more important because of the nature of the storyline and the family symbolism.

No you draw like ass! :p

Works for me, now I don't have to wait for the library to get me the Night of the Owls trade.

After reading it again, I still don't like the Court of Owls stuff. It would have been cool if it would have been early seeds for Owlman and the Crime Syndicate, but as a threat to Batman it just doesn't interest me in the least.

No you draw like ass! :p

Obviously personal tastes and all that but I have this disconnect where I can't understand liking say, the worst idea ever (Batman Inc) but finding the Court of Owls bad? What didn't you like?

Does not compute.

Messi

joker-wants-to-hang.png

Ugh it still makes me angry, and that's not even the worst of it .

So I spent most of the weekend catching up on all the Valiant books I've gotten in sales over the past year or so and, can I just tell you guys? These books are phenomenal. The art sometimes can't keep up, but overall it's such a tightly constructed and compelling universe. Shadowman is probably the weak link, but it's completely self-contained and even at its worst is simply "good" not "great". But all the other series are just fantastically well-done. I'm halfway through Harbinger Wars and am just really blown away.

To illustrate how well prioritized the Universe is, in the same month that half of an entire crossover has been devoted to a few people walking through Nevada, X-O Manowar has travelled to another planet and incited a revolution in a single issue. It's all about character instead of complication.

Can't recommend these books enough, every single one of them.

tim1138

Obviously personal tastes and all that but I have this disconnect where I can't understand liking say, the worst idea ever (Batman Inc) but finding the Court of Owls bad? What didn't you like?

Does not compute.

Court of Owls felt like Synder mashed up preexisting Batman stories/themes (the Talons being a riff on Azrael and the Order of St Dumas, the Lincoln March/Simon Hurt similarities) squished together with some owl imagery. I'm sure Viewtiful was just being a dick, but it really does read like fan fiction to me.

And Inc was awesome and the logical conclusion to what Morrison was doing. It was full circle from the Club of Heroes stuff and fit the themes and ideas he was exploring.

did she or did she not kill a bunch of kids with exploding video games not too long ago

and this is the cute funny protagonist you're suppose to like

Messi

did she or did she not kill a bunch of kids with exploding video games not too long ago

and this is the cute funny protagonist you're suppose to like

Indeed she did, she is a psychopath no doubt. I just have a hard time with violence against women. But in those issues they went far above what joker usually does to Harley. One does not male the other ok, if you get me.

Also she is trying to be a hero in her solo book, but that will fail the second joker shows up.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Does not compute.

How is an awesome and logical extension of a storyline the worst idea ever? Batman has been a brand for so long in the real world, that taking that idea to the comic world and providing great narrative reason to do so, while also giving introducing/revamping a host of worldwide characters seems like a great fucking Batman story. And it was!

If you followed along with the story, it gave Batman the posse he needed to take down a supposed worldwide crime syndicate. The sheer amount of great things that came from Batman, Inc, and the amount of ideas he pumped into there, tying up 7 years of Bat-books, is incredible. For fuck's sake, it even works in two different DC continuities with the New 52 being worked in slightly.

Also, Bruce Wayne has a business, and this was a smart way to tie in Bruce Wayne's business life with his true passion--motherfucking Justice.

Snyder is a great writer but, prior to Zero Year, he was becoming almost formulaic and he had trouble sticking the landing on his arcs, and as somebody who was fully on-board with Court of Owls--I got entirely sick of it by the end of its run and didn't give a shit about how it would pan out. Lincoln March was a terrible idea.

tim1138

How is an awesome and logical extension of a storyline the worst idea ever? Batman has been a brand for so long in the real world, that taking that idea to the comic world and providing great narrative reason to do so, while also giving introducing/revamping a host of worldwide characters seems like a great fucking Batman story. And it was!

If you followed along with the story, it gave Batman the posse he needed to take down a supposed worldwide crime syndicate. The sheer amount of great things that came from Batman, Inc, and the amount of ideas he pumped into there, tying up 7 years of Bat-books, is incredible. For fuck's sake, it even works in two different DC continuities with the New 52 being worked in slightly.

Also, Bruce Wayne has a business, and this was a smart way to tie in Bruce Wayne's business life with his true passion--motherfucking Justice.

Snyder is a great writer but, prior to Zero Year, he was becoming almost formulaic and he had trouble sticking the landing on his arcs, and as somebody who was fully on-board with Court of Owls--I got entirely sick of it by the end of its run and didn't give a shit about how it would pan out. Lincoln March was a terrible idea.

When it comes to Morrison I always know you'll come around and say what I would if I wasn't posting from my phone. Internet high five!

Someone ask Kieron Gillen if there is going to be more Three or is he just gonna write Tumblr wankery. Is Marc Silvestri a decent writer? Magi seems interesting.....

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Hating on Morrison batman

I needed a good laugh this Morning.

It's an odd thing to hate on because if you love Batman, Morrison has literally given you every version of Batman. He's provided a timeless Bats story filtering the character's entire history through a massive time-and-world spanning story that's about what happens when the two most powerful human forces have a child and then divorce.

When it comes to Morrison I always know you'll come around and say what I would if I wasn't posting from my phone. Internet high five!

Haha, I'm super passionate about Morrison in general but his Bats run in specific always makes me hop on here right-quick because it's THE reason Bats is my favorite superhero. I'll take any discussion based around his Batman even if it's just: "it's fucking stupid because I didn't read all of the books and don't get it." Not that anybody here has really made that point today, but it's an opinion that's quite common when people hop into the middle of a 7 year storyline with no real yearning to experience the entire story, and it's unfortunate.

Morrison batman is a love letter to the character . He used every story he could find to craft an amazing story.

Think I'm going to re- read RIP today

Highly recommend the black case file. It's s bunch of stories use that Morrison used for his run

I'll take any discussion based around his Batman even if it's just: "it's fucking stupid because I didn't read all of the books and don't get it." Not that anybody here has really made that point today, but it's an opinion that's quite common when people hop into the middle of a 7 year storyline with no real yearning to experience the entire story, and it's unfortunate.

The thing is, sometimes people just want to read a good Batman story without having to read years worth of content. At that point it becomes less of a relaxing read, and more of a serious undertaking. It seems like nothing if you read it as it was coming out, but to wade through that much at once?

Its not like we're short of thousands of Batman comics that require nothing from the reader except a third grade level of reading. So one book tried to be a bit bigger or a little harder, big deal.

I do not like the idea of "Batman The Business". I like Batman, the Vigilante. I like Batman, who only grudgingly works with the Justice League. I like Batman who is on a personal mission of justice, who will occasionally take on an ally who shares his vision, but doesn't seek them out.

Batman Inc both went too far and didn't go far enough. Why, if Batman suddenly decided to go worldwide with this idea, would he stop at a handful of (imo lame) characters? Why wouldn't he better equip them? I mean for fucks sake, they couldn't deal with Clone Damian, when he's solo beaten fucking Amazo before? Yeah, yeah... I get it, you can't let one off stories like that be the rule and the idea of Batman being mortal and retaining the sense that he might be in over his head. But really?

Also, Talia's death was so stupid. So anti-climatic. Behold, Kathy Kane's amazing teleportation abilities.

#QuarterlyMorrisonBatmanRant

Owzers

my only gripe with Morrison's Batman saga was that i didn't understand what i was reading on several occasions. Xo

Ultimate Comics Captain America : Aaron's Cap mini was alright but i'm a little tired of some marvel/dc stories always living in a safe box that it can retreat to by the conclusion.

Biggest disappointment was seeing what used copies were going for on Amazon, $1.99. Eek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom