• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Snyders Batman run so far but I think Zero Year has really allowed Snyder to make the new 52 Batman his. If I were to recommend someone to get into Snyders Batman run, I would have them start with Zero Year. Then read his other stuff afterwards. I think Zero Year has allowed them to set up a present day Gotham that will be interesting and fun to follow. I am really excited to see what will happen in the Batverse post Forever Evil.

Messi

I just read the last two issues of Superman/Wonder Woman, my goodness how is the art in this book so consistently great. It's a visual treat. The story so far is good and I like how it ties into the events in Wonder Woman's solo book.

I just read the last two issues of Superman/Wonder Woman, my goodness how is the art in this book so consistently great. It's a visual treat. The story so far is good and I like how it ties into the events in Wonder Woman's solo book.

It's near the top of my personal favorite titles right now. It may not be the Superman
(or Wonder Woman)
title we asked for, but it's the one we deserve.

Korosenai

I really want to get into Guardians of the Galaxy, but the only volume that any local store near me has is Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers. Would that be a good place to start? I wanted the Legacy volume, but its sold out pretty much everywhere.

I really want to get into Guardians of the Galaxy, but the only volume that any local store near me has is Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers. Would that be a good place to start? I wanted the Legacy volume, but its sold out pretty much everywhere.

If you want to go chronologically you should read:

Jim Valentino's Guardians of the Galaxy run
Annhiliation
Annhilation Conquest
Guardians of the Galaxy 00's run
Avengers Assemble
Guardians of the Galaxy modern

You can also just start at Annihilation if you are only interested in the members of the movie version. Valentino dealt with the other Guardians team from like the 70s.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
You haven't read it? You are in for a treat.

Have you read Tomasis Batman and Robin?

Come to Tomasi's Batman and Robin for the emotional depth lacking in Snyder's run. Also, prepare for man-tears.

Korosenai

If you want to go chronologically you should read:

Jim Valentino's Guardians of the Galaxy run
Annhiliation
Annhilation Conquest
Guardians of the Galaxy 00's run
Avengers Assemble
Guardians of the Galaxy modern

You can also just start at Annihilation if you are only interested in the members of the movie version. Valentino dealt with the other Guardians team from like the 70s.
I really want Annihilation, but it seems sold out as well, unless i buy it digitally (which i dont want to do). Just kind of wanted something that I could pick up today on my way home fron school.

Drayco21

I really want Annihilation, but it seems sold out as well, unless i buy it digitally (which i dont want to do). Just kind of wanted something that I could pick up today on my way home fron school.

Most of the good Marvel Cosmic stuff has been out of print for a while, and charging stupid high prices second hand. An Annihilation Omnibus is supposed to be coming out soon, though. The only decent Cosmic title running at current Marvel is the new Nova, after Loeb left.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
>walks in excited to talk more about valiant<
>turns around the other way in one fluid motion<

Haha, I see the Valiant comics but for some reason, I just don't know enough about them to pick any up. I'm not sure why I'm hesitant, either, because I love Matt Kindt...

So I spent most of the weekend catching up on all the Valiant books I've gotten in sales over the past year or so and, can I just tell you guys? These books are phenomenal. The art sometimes can't keep up, but overall it's such a tightly constructed and compelling universe. Shadowman iTo illustrate how well prioritized the Universe is, in the same month that half of an entire crossover has been devoted to a few people walking through Nevada, X-O Manowar has travelled to another planet and incited a revolution in a single issue. It's all about character instead of complication.

Can't recommend these books enough, every single one of them.

I'll admit that my fundamental disconnect when I see Valiant titles is the notion that they are a shared universe? Cause they seem so unlike each other, like they don't belong together, but that is obviously my ignorance speaking. What is it about the Valiant titles that you feel allows them to mesh together so well?

Haha, I see the Valiant comics but for some reason, I just don't know enough about them to pick any up. I'm not sure why I'm hesitant, either, because I love Matt Kindt...

They're really good at putting up sales that let you get caught up with a bunch of stuff. I'd really recommend all of it, as it's so well put together. That said, it's also very cognizant of being able to be enjoyed on its own. Archer and Armstrong ties into a lot of other books in small ways, but is also a delight all on its own. I'm pretty sure all their #1s are free, and definitely worth a look.

They're also completely disconnected from the old Valiant Universe so there's very little you need to know as far as continuity.

>walks in excited to talk more about valiant<
>turns around the other way in one fluid motion<

Valiant's stuff is great, I'm reading everything except Shadowman. Archer & Armstrong and X-O Manowar are my favourite titles from them right now. I'm super jazzed about the upcoming Armour Hunters crossover as well.

I gotta catch up on Harbinger, i really dug vol. 1. It's like X-Men except cooler. the art was the only thing i wasn't high on, but i can live with it. actually, that goes for pretty much all of the Valiant books i've read - cool premises and stories, okay art (yeah I haven't read Q&W)

So jealous of all you guys who will be getting Zero vol.1 this week. My girlfriend asked me a few weeks back for a few book titles since it'll be my birthday soon enough. Figured I'd be broke so I wrote down Zero (Fatale volume 4 and Sheltered volume 1 as well), and as it turns out, I have plenty of cash haha. I'll be even more put out if I wait til my birthday and it turns out she went for something else ha.

Most of the good Marvel Cosmic stuff has been out of print for a while, and charging stupid high prices second hand. An Annihilation Omnibus is supposed to be coming out soon, though. The only decent Cosmic title running at current Marvel is the new Nova, after Loeb left.

You read Jason Aaron's Thor man? I find it hard not to class that as Cosmic, the way Aaron does it. Sure, it has other elements too, but I'd class it somewhat as a cosmic book, and it's amaaaazing.

I'll admit that my fundamental disconnect when I see Valiant titles is the notion that they are a shared universe? Cause they seem so unlike each other, like they don't belong together, but that is obviously my ignorance speaking. What is it about the Valiant titles that you feel allows them to mesh together so well?

That's the best part! Aside from Shadowman (which looks like it's building its own corner of the VU when Doctor Mirage comes out in September), all the other books are giving their own unique perspective on a very connected universe. Like, the tone of each book is very different, but the stories connect.

Archer and Armstrong: Indiana Jones style hijinx
Bloodshot: Mercenary, military, bad-ass gun-fu, army sci-fi
Harbinger: Expertly done teen angst X-meny soap opera
X-O Manowar: Crazy sci-fi meets conan old style military type stuff

So even in Harbinger Wars, you have this core standalone miniseries that's just looking at the events, while the Harbinger and Bloodshot main series tie ins give their own perspective on those events. In HW you see Bloodshot fight [SPOILER REDACTED], but in Bloodshot's, you see what was going on internally through his nano machines and stuff.

Archer and Armstrong introduce the character of Eternal Warrior in their own very specific and delightful way, but he goes on to appear in X-O and Unity. I haven't read those yet, but I'm sure it'll be from a different perspective. And this all works because Valiant has so few books and thus are able to give any characters enough focus that they don't just end up an anonymous outfit or costume when they appear in another book.

Even when Harbinger/Harbinger Wars introduces like 15 new super powered kids, it's done in a really specific and illuminating way so that when they go off on their own, you feel a connection to them.

And don't even get me started on how good Harbinger is at talking about teenagers. Once Harbinger gets to Harbinger Wars, because there's only like five kids on the team, they're all really well drawn. Zephyr is like the character find of the century. Totally realistic nerdy type without being a stupid cliche.

Haven't read enough of Unity, Quantum and Woody, or Eternal Warrior to properly categorize them yet, but I have no reason to believe they won't be similarly successful at establishing their own voice.

As far the connecting of the shared universe, again the razor sharp focus of having a small line of books allows this to happen very organically. Basically the first like 11 months of Bloodshot and Harbinger are all like over the same short span of time over the same timeline with only like two big occurrences leading to Harbinger Wars (as opposed to like forty things being loosely connected at best in a usual big company crossover).

It feels basically like one of those big Stephen King novels that feel epic but still keep the focus on characters.

looking on comxology they have a valiant starter pack for 30 bucks

Valiant Starter Bundle
ollCollectts: X-O Manowar #1-4, Harbinger #1-5, Bloodshot #1-4, Shadowman #1-4, and Archer & Armstrong #1-4

seems like a good deal

BluWacky

I'm catching up on TPBs that I've missed - did anyone read Storm Dogs from Image? Was it any good? Not that I need another series to follow, but "horror CSI in space" sounds good in the blurb.

Getting my big order from InStockTrades today:))))

BATMAN YEAR ONE
BATMAN DETECTIVE COMICS -VOL 1
CHEW -VOL 7
DRAGON BALL 3IN1 -VOL 1
EARTH 2 -VOL 1
PUNK ROCK JESUS
SPAWN ORIGINS -VOL 1
STRANGE ATTRACTORS
UNKNOWN SOLDIER

...... what to read first!?

anaron

It's been a big hit so far IMO. The art is phenomenal and the story and pacing seems to be holding up as well.

I'm not a big fan of Black Widow, but I'm liking it so far.

the ART is amazing. I really want to pick up the first three.

It's really good.

encouraging stuff! I adore the art as well and I'm super stoked that Marvel's doing all these female solo series so I want to support it and by extension the rest.

Eldren

#1 covers said:
TWTD001COVLaura.jpg
TWTD001COVluci.jpg

Jamie McKelvie and Matt Wilson putting in work. You can also buy them as a pair of prints if you like, for a surprisingly good price.

Owzers

Man, DC has a lot of weeklies in May and beyond.

Yeah...if i buy into Future's End and Batman Eternal that's 8 books a month :O

i kind of want that Wonder Woman art of war Hughes statue, but i think if i get one i'll wait for Paquette.

i might pick up the first Soule Swamp Thing trade and Dead Boy Detectives vol 1 if i like issue #1

Just ordered Volume 1 of Thor God of Thunder and Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy. Before anyone yells at me, I'm planning on getting Abnett and Lanning's run when it's reprinted alongside the movie as well but it's a long time to wait 'til August.

To add to other's comments, you are in for a treat Kikarian, Snyder's Batman is really good. The first volume of Court of Owls especially so.

Getting my big order from InStockTrades today:))))

BATMAN YEAR ONE
BATMAN DETECTIVE COMICS -VOL 1
CHEW -VOL 7
DRAGON BALL 3IN1 -VOL 1
EARTH 2 -VOL 1
PUNK ROCK JESUS
SPAWN ORIGINS -VOL 1
STRANGE ATTRACTORS
UNKNOWN SOLDIER

...... what to read first!?

Batman Year One is one of my favourite stories ever...and the only one I've read out of those, so I'd say start at the top.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Why is Grifter a thing? His fucking cloth mask just viscerally pisses me off. His large presence on the Futures End #1 cover is a turnoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom