• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just grabbed The Punisher #2 today. Continues the good start from #1.

I actually like that Frank wears a mask when dealing with cops, and Officer Sam Stone in particular. Allows the cops some deniable plausibility when they have to deal with official reports, I assume. Also, motorcycles are cool.

I love Frank naming a wild coyote Loot and then just leaving him for his buddy to take care of. Too damned funny. Also, Frank wearing the Hawkguy shirt, lol.

ELECTRO! I should have been expecting that, but wasn't. I hope Frank stomps him into the dirt. They very, very clearly have gotten influence for his look from Amazing Spider-Man 2, hahaha.

The only thing that I felt was a bit over-the-top was Frank's continual narration that he exists to take on problems that superheroes don't care about and that cops cannot handle. I love that that's the take they're going for, but he said it a few times I think. I got it at this point. Art is still great.

But still, it is a good take and a good way of seeing how Frank views himself and his place in the Marvel universe.

In fact, this comic has little to no baggage at all with anything Marvel Universe or Punisher backstory related. There's even a couple lines where it honestly feels like it could take place in the aftermath of The Avengers and squarely in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, where when the villains started coming from the sky, and the heroes began battling there, there was no one left to stop the crime on the streets.

Messi

Just grabbed The Punisher #2 today. Continues the good start from #1.

I actually like that Frank wears a mask when dealing with cops, and Officer Sam Stone in particular. Allows the cops some deniable plausibility when they have to deal with official reports, I assume. Also, motorcycles are cool.

I love Frank naming a wild coyote Loot and then just leaving him for his buddy to take care of. Too damned funny. Also, Frank wearing the Hawkguy shirt, lol.

ELECTRO! I should have been expecting that, but wasn't. I hope Frank stomps him into the dirt. They very, very clearly have gotten influence for his look from Amazing Spider-Man 2, hahaha.

The only thing that I felt was a bit over-the-top was Frank's continual narration that he exists to take on problems that superheroes don't care about and that cops cannot handle. I love that that's the take they're going for, but he said it a few times I think. I got it at this point. Art is still great.

But still, it is a good take and a good way of seeing how Frank views himself and his place in the Marvel universe.

In fact, this comic has little to no baggage at all with anything Marvel Universe or Punisher backstory related. There's even a couple lines where it honestly feels like it could take place in the aftermath of The Avengers and squarely in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, where when the villains started coming from the sky, and the heroes began battling there, there was no one left to stop the crime on the streets.

Shit I forgot to pick up punisher.

tim1138

I loved the Metal Men story in this month's Justice League, it was a nice way to update the characters and have them retain their charm. I hope they don't disappear post Forever Evil.

Splatt

All blue with a lighting tatoo on his face Electro has been in comics for a few years. He got introduced in The Gauntlet storyline in Amazing Spider-Man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gauntlet_and_Grim_Hunt

I loved the Metal Men story in this month's Justice League, it was a nice way to update the characters and have them retain their charm. I hope they don't disappear post Forever Evil.

They were also in an earlier volume of Batman Beyond. I don't doubt they are going to be around in some form.

I really liked this line in Punisher:

Frank Castle said:
"Someone once said that any fool can make a rule, and any fool will follow it. The cops mean well. But this is war. And someone else said… the only crime in war… is to lose.
Too dangerous for the cops. Not big enough for the super heroes. But a proper fight for me."

tim1138

You made the right choice my friend. Come join us.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!!

Harley was fun this month, yeah the humor is a bit sophomoric at times, but the book makes no attempt at taking itself too seriously so whatever.
Could they actually
be separating her from Joker
?!

Messi

Harley was fun this month, yeah the humor is a bit sophomoric at times, but the book makes no attempt at taking itself too seriously so whatever.
Could they actually
?!

I haven't read it yet so I can't read that spoiler. But I love he humour and it fits Harley perfectly.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So, at some point we're going to have a conversation about the final pages of Batman and Two-Face #28, right? Because that thing that happened sure did, right?

That time is now--Holy shit, Tomasi. Damn, Gleason. The blue and red scenes hit hard and were beautifully done, and the confrontation between Harvey and Bruce was just so well done.
I'm pretty sure that was 666 Damian's silhouette in Harvey's eye during that scene

Also, how fucking ballsy to have Two-Face kill himself in his own pseudo-origin story

tim1138

That time is now--Holy shit, Tomasi. Damn, Gleason. The blue and red scenes hit hard and were beautifully done, and the confrontation between Harvey and Bruce was just so well done.
I'm pretty sure that was 666 Damian's silhouette in Harvey's eye during that scene

Also, how fucking ballsy to have Two-Face kill himself in his own pseudo-origin story

Damn it, that first spoiler makes me want to buy the issue.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This is cool, from the May IDW solicitations:
2DT9h2U.jpg
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 30th Anniversary Special—GEM OF THE MONTH
Tom Waltz, Gary Carlson, Jim Lawson, Various (w) • Kevin Eastman, Chris Allan, Dan Duncan, Various (a) • Eastman & Peter Laird (c)
Celebrate the 30th anniversary of the first TMNT comics with this spectacular anthology of all-new tales from the comic creators who have most influenced the Turtles over the decades! The book will feature short stories from Kevin Eastman, as well as various writers and artists of the Mirage, Image and Archie TMNT! The perfect collection for Turtle fans old and new!
FC • 48 pages • $7.99
• Variant Cover by Simon Bisley!
• A brand-new cover from TMNT co-creators Eastman & Laird! Their first collaboration in years!
• Pin-ups by other comic industry stars and Turtle favorites!
So, what's this book going to be? Pretty kick ass, I think. It's going to be an anthology style 48-page book that will touch on all of the major eras of comic book TMNT. It's broken up into five different seven page stories.

Part 1- An "Early Mirage" story by Kevin Eastman (and possible friends— Kevin is busy with the Annual so not much has been done with this section yet!)

Part 2- An "Adventures" story by Dean Clarrain and Chris Allan

Part 3- An "Image" story by Gary Carlson and Frank Fosco

Part 4- A "Later day Mirage" story by Jim Lawson

Part 5- An "IDW" story set in the early days of our continuity by Tom Waltz and Dan Duncan.

We'll also have a bunch of pin-ups by notable TMNT artists to round out the book!

Peter Laird did a blog post about directly collaborating with Eastman for the first time in years for the cover.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Damn it, that first spoiler makes me want to buy the issue.

It's a great arc, but the next issue is Bats going after Ras for his boy's remains. That's going to be a hell of an issue, I feel.

My haul from tonight:

lCMF065.jpg

Any missing issues he has on order for me so they should be in in the next week or two he said.

I had a question too, how anal are you guys with your comics? Like do you care about tiny creases on the spine or anything? Some of the ones I picked up have tiny white creases on the spine or really small patch near the spine of where color rubbed off or mixed with an issue that was laying on top. I'm assuming that's pretty normal right?

Messi

Could they actually
?!

I think the spoiler will make you happy.

Ok, I just read it. Loved it. I continue to be floored by the art, it's so good. They have hit the perfect art to match the tone of the book. Much like Aja and Hawkeye. The problems I had with Harley's face being very inconsistent seems to be gone. I love all the different outfits they are giving Harley while still keeping them in her style.

Liked the valentines theme and Harley's distorted view of it towards the end. The humour just connects for me, I chuckled at
the dark cloud only raining on her and the trail behind her.

As for the spoiler
I would be so happy to see Harley split from Joker and have it stick for a while. But it's never going to happen as the whole reason for her to exist as a psychopath is to please joker and her love for him. The issue is about her being depressed that he is not around. Her phone background is his face. We can assume he is still missing after the end of Death of the family and that she has no idea where he is. Valentines would be a hard time for her. That said she is clearly willing to see other people in this issue but no one is there for her.

I'd love them to avoid using joker as a crutch for a few more issues. My biggest hope is that they get ivy back for more team ups and maybe a sirens issue.

Filthy Slug

Does that start the Batman and Aquaman/WW/Frank stuff?

As far as I know, it starts with Aquaman, and then the issue after is Bats and Wonder Woman going after Damain's remains. If Frankenstein is making another appearance in the series, I haven't heard it, but I'd happily welcome it because that issue was something else.

Owzers

My haul from tonight:

Any missing issues he has on order for me so they should be in in the next week or two he said.

I had a question too, how anal are you guys with your comics? Like do you care about tiny creases on the spine or anything? Some of the ones I picked up have tiny white creases on the spine or really small patch near the spine of where color rubbed off or mixed with an issue that was laying on top. I'm assuming that's pretty normal right?

I can't stand creases in pages, but i'm okay with some imperfections on the spine or top/bottom ends of the spine being a little frayed, or those indentations in the spine in the cover of Harley. That happens a lot with books, they are fragile little creatures.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So I was talking to a friend about the GotG trailer and how I wish I had read marvel cosmic when he goes "I have all that shit", so long story short, he's lending me a bunch of shit to read over the weekend, Annihilation, Thanos Imperitive, ...something Conquest? And some other stuff I forget now.

So my question is Gaf, how excited should I be?

tim1138

Ok, I just read it. Loved it. I continue to be floored by the art, it's so good. They have hit the perfect art to match the tone of the book. Much like Aja and Hawkeye. The problems I had with Harley's face being very inconsistent seems to be gone. I love all the different outfits they are giving Harley while still keeping them in her style.

Liked the valentines theme and Harley's distorted view of it towards the end. The humour just connects for me, I chuckled at
the dark cloud only raining on her and the trail behind her.

As for the spoiler
I would be so happy to see Harley split from Joker and have it stick for a while. But it's never going to happen as the whole reason for her to exist as a psychopath is to please joker and her love for him. The issue is about her being depressed that he is not around. Her phone background is his face. We can assume he is still missing after the end of Death of the family and that she has no idea where he is. Valentines would be a hard time for her. That said she is clearly willing to see other people in this issue but no one is there for her.

I'd love them to avoid using joker as a crutch for a few more issues. My biggest hope is that they get ivy back for more team ups and maybe a sirens issue.

The longer they go without using the Joker the better. I really liked how Ales Kot addressed that in his brief Suicide Squad run, that she had moved on from Joker and didn't need him anymore.
I'm guessing/hoping we'll see more of Harley and Ivy, I've loved their pairing since the Batman: the Animated Series days.

Even with all the violence and blood, it still maintains a very slapstick feel, again it doesn't take itself too seriously and is better for it.

Filthy Slug said:
As far as I know, it starts with Aquaman, and then the issue after is Bats and Wonder Woman going after Damain's remains. If Frankenstein is making another appearance in the series, I haven't heard it, but I'd happily welcome it because that issue was something else.

Pretty sure the May issue is Batman and Frankenstein.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Frankenstein is the featured partner in the issue just solicited for May.

I can't stand creases in pages, but i'm okay with some imperfections on the spine or top/bottom ends of the spine being a little frayed, or those indentations in the spine in the cover of Harley. That happens a lot with books, they are fragile little creatures.

Alright, that's what I figured. I think just from shipping them or storing them it's impossible for it to be perfect. The inside is perfect, it's just the covers that get some wear/tear like you saw on harley.

Messi

My haul from tonight:

lCMF065.jpg

Do you already have Harley #2. That was the best one so far.

I am totally ok with dc having a book that they can celebrate holidays in with Harley. Its easy to be light hearted with a character like Harley. Arguably its harder to do drama with Harley (See Suicide Squad Death of the family issues for how to do it wrong). Eventually Joker will have to show up but I hope it stays in the fun style they currently have going. I would love to see more animated series style joker and Harley, abusive sure but playful. You could tell in the animated series that joker cared about Harley, even though he was being shitty to her.

It's also nice to see that Amanda Conner and Palmiotti have a good handle on how to write Harley. They are making it easier to root for her where as something like Suicide Squad struggles with that. I don't find the Suicide Squad version of Harley easy to root for.

Oh and yes, slapstick is the best way to go for a Harley book. It worked like that in TAS. It's endearing when Harley comes up with some plan only for it to comically blow up in her face.

--

Wait, Wonder Woman is Batmans next partner in the robin book? Hell yes! That is one of my dream pairings. How many issues of this goodness am I getting?

Do you already have Harley #2. That was the best one so far.

I am totally ok with dc having a book that they can celebrate holidays in with Harley. Its easy to be light hearted with a character like Harley. Arguably its harder to do drama with Harley (See Suicide Squad Death of the family issues for how to do it wrong). Eventually Joker will have to show up but I hope it stays in the fun style they currently have going. I would love to see more animated series style joker and Harley, abusive sure but playful. You could tell in the animated series that joker cared about Harley, even though he was being shitty to her.

It's also nice to see that Amanda Conner and Palmiotti have a good handle on how to write Harley. They are making it easier to root for her where as something like Suicide Squad struggles with that. I don't find the Suicide Squad version of Harley easy to root for.

Oh and yes, slapstick is the best way to go for a Harley book. It worked like that in TAS. It's endearing when Harley comes up with some plan only for it to comically blow up in her face.

No, he has #0, and #2 on order for me as well as X-factor #3, and #2 I believe of amazing x-men was the other I was missing. #2 I think won't arrive until march but #0 should be in next week. He said they just sent out notice of a reprint for #2 so I'll have that next month.

Two weeks worth of stuff waiting for me today. Hope I didn't miss anything.

Marvel Comics
Amazing X-Men #4
Avengers #26
Captain America #17
Daredevil #36
The Punisher #2
She-Hulk #1
Thor God of Thunder #19.NOW
Wolverine and the X-Men #41

DC Comics
Justice League 3000 #3

Image Comics
The Fuse #1
The Mercenary Sea #1
Undertow #1

Dark Horse Comics
Conan the Barbarian #25

Haven't read anything yet, I'm busy rescuing people from Lion's Arch.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Anyone ever made the mistake of telling a 5 year old watching Superhero Squad that Red Skull is a Nazi and then he asks you what a Nazi is?

Two weeks worth of stuff waiting for me today. Hope I didn't miss anything.

Marvel Comics
Amazing X-Men #4
Avengers #26
Captain America #17
Daredevil #36
The Punisher #2
She-Hulk #1
Thor God of Thunder #19.NOW
Wolverine and the X-Men #41

DC Comics
Justice League 3000 #3

Image Comics
The Fuse #1
The Mercenary Sea #1
Undertow #1

Dark Horse Comics
Conan the Barbarian #25

Haven't read anything yet, I'm busy rescuing people from Lion's Arch.

You should be reading Action Comics. It's everything you said you missed about old Superman and it's only been three issues in.

Messi

No, he has #0, and #2 on order for me as well as X-factor #3, and #2 I believe of amazing x-men was the other I was missing. #2 I think won't arrive until march but #0 should be in next week. He said they just sent out notice of a reprint for #2 so I'll have that next month.

Tell us what you think of the series when you read it.

Did you know #1 was GAFs very own book of the month. Beating out the nearest contender (the final issue of Locke and Key) by 8 whole points. :D

It's a great arc, but the next issue is Bats going after Ras for his boy's remains. That's going to be a hell of an issue, I feel.
What issues are the arc or is it the whole thing? That sounds pretty interesting with two face.
Tell us what you think of the series when you read it.

Did you know #1 was GAFs very own book of the month. Beating out the nearest contender (the final issue of Locke and Key) by 8 whole points. :D

Yeah, you guys gushing about it made me pick that up tonight. The first issue seems like it could be pretty cool once it gets going.

Me gushing? Never.

I've been lurking the thread for a little while and I honestly can't remember people talking about another comic than Harley Quinn it was mentioned so much. :lol

Does anyone else feel weird not getting in at the start of a series? I really like cable and the x-force but I feel weird mixing the trades and the comic books but I doubt I can find the old issues for a reasonable price... I feel like I should just wait for the trades as they come out.

I've been lurking the thread for a little while and I honestly can't remember people talking about another comic than Harley Quinn it was mentioned so much. :lol

Does anyone else feel weird not getting in at the start of a series? I really like cable and the x-force but I feel weird mixing the trades and the comic books but I doubt I can find the old issues for a reasonable price... I feel like I should just wait for the trades as they come out.

Marvel has Recap pages that does good job at getting people up to speed.

Filthy Slug

Pretty sure the May issue is Batman and Frankenstein.

Frankenstein is the featured partner in the issue just solicited for May.

Oh...man...Tomasi + Gleason on another Bats and Frank issue is just great news! With Morrison's run over, this is the secret best Batbook. I don't know what I'd do if Bats and Animal Man teamed up.

What issues are the arc or is it the whole thing? That sounds pretty interesting with two face.

Issues 24-28 cover the Batman and Two-Face arc. Check it out--it's brutal and great.

Messi

Oh...man...Tomasi + Gleason on another Bats and Frank issue is just great news! With Morrison's run over, this is the secret best Batbook. I don't know what I'd do if Bats and Animal Man teamed up.

Issues 24-28 cover the Batman and Two-Face arc. Check it out--it's brutal and great.

Brutal is one way to describe it. It's been fantastic. But each month I find myself cringing as some nasty shit goes down. This month left me stunned. Great book highly recommended. They could have screwed up so easily after robin but they haven't missed a beat.

THis was Two-faces debut in the Nu52 Right? hell of an intro

lol

Yeah...that origin. Fuck.

Messi

What happened with the Carrie Kelly stuff in Batman and Robin?

I hope they are going to come back to it. Hit me right in the feels.
Last we seen she was
working for Alfred and Bruce taking care of the dog and she still does not know Damien is dead. Bruce edited a fake phone call message from Damien :((((

tim1138

I hope they are going to come back to it. Hit me right in the feels.
Last we seen she was
working for Alfred and Bruce taking care of the dog and she still does not know Damien is dead. Bruce edited a fake phone call message from Damien :((((

Was that note in the silent issue from her? The list of movie recommendations sgned by CK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom