• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shamelessly stolen from the Japanese Mobile Emoticons that Bleeding Cool posted a week or so ago.

These are insanely adorable! I don't blame you.

And yeah, I'm a diehard Peegee Fan. I'll buy pretty much anything she is in. I have a complete collection of the Pre New 52 Power Girl Run 1-29, all of Worlds' Finest + Variants.

I bought the complete pre-New 52 Power Girl run on Comixology and just fell in love with the character. I didn't mind the creative team change either. I loved the nuances Winick brought to Peegee and Basri's art was absolutely stellar. I can't wait for my copy of the new trade collection to arrive so I can read it all over again.

Worlds' Finest has been somewhat disappointing coming off such a strong run but I still actively enjoy it. I was happy to see a return to her more iconic look. I loved the crossover issues with Supergirl. Such a shame there wasn't more.

I bought the complete pre-New 52 Power Girl run on Comixology and just fell in love with the character. I didn't mind the creative team change either. I loved the nuances Winick brought to Peegee and Basri's art was absolutely stellar. I can't wait for my copy of the new trade collection to arrive so I can read it all over again.

Worlds' Finest has been somewhat disappointing coming off such a strong run but I still actively enjoy it. I was happy to see a return to her more iconic look. I loved the crossover issues with Supergirl. Such a shame there wasn't more.

Yeah I wouldn't hold Worlds' Finest up as an amazing book as much as I'd like to say otherwise. But the faults have been in a few small areas rather than one glaring flaw; Paul Levitz is a solid writer, usually, but has felt like he was tip toeing around some pretty puzzling restrictions, like interactions with most of Earth Prime. In theory I like the concept of Karen and Helena being fish out of water in a world that is similar too but not quite their own. I found Karen's desire to return home vs. Helena's willingness to start a new life fascinating. I liked their conflicting natures but die hard teamwork regardless of that, But then Paul spent issue after issue toying with just one bizarre concept after another, one dangling link to Apokolips and Earth 2 after another, but never brought it to fruition.

Worlds' Finest SHOULD BE the book that bridges the gap between Earth 2 and Earth Prime, but it has squandered it's chances and is just going to continue to slowly sink down in the charts towards eventual cancellation. I don't think any amount of crossovers with Batman/Superman are going to help, though I'm hopeful.

Can anyone summarize what makes Brubaker's Captain America run so great? I'm about 15 issues in and while it's just fine I just don't understand why this is considered such a definitive run.

Admittedly I already know the broad strokes- The Winter Soldier is Bucky, he does become good again and takes over for Cap when he dies- but none of the details. But Cap himself doesn't seem to have notable characterization, the supporting cast at this stage has very little development, and the plotting is too straightforward for a series that seems to emphasize espionage. It also feels very decompressed- these 15 issues could have been done in 6.

I've already bought the first 35 issues because I got a good deal on a bundle from Comixology so I will definitely keep going but I have to say after years of hype over this run it's kind of disappointing.

Are there any supplemental books or anything additional I need to read to enjoy Synder's current Batman run or can I just start at issue 1 and go from there? Also I've read most of the classic popular Batman trades. As for more recent stuff, is there anything worth exploring outside of Morrison's run and Synder's current work that is particularly noteworthy? (preferably already collected in trades)

Are there any supplemental books or anything additional I need to read to enjoy Synder's current Batman run or can I just start at issue 1 and go from there? Also I've read most of the classic popular Batman trades. As for more recent stuff, is there anything worth exploring outside of Morrison's run and Synder's current work that is particularly noteworthy? (preferably already collected in trades)

Start at 1. Nothing to supplement them. Court of Owls, City of Owls, then Death of the Family which will lead into Zero Year which is his best work.

jackdoe

Can anyone summarize what makes Brubaker's Captain America run so great? I'm about 15 issues in and while it's just fine I just don't understand why this is considered such a definitive run.

Admittedly I already know the broad strokes- The Winter Soldier is Bucky, he does become good again and takes over for Cap when he dies- but none of the details. But Cap himself doesn't seem to have notable characterization, the supporting cast at this stage has very little development, and the plotting is too straightforward for a series that seems to emphasize espionage. It also feels very decompressed- these 15 issues could have been done in 6.

I've already bought the first 35 issues because I got a good deal on a bundle from Comixology so I will definitely keep going but I have to say after years of hype over this run it's kind of disappointing.
I personally feel that Brubaker's run becomes outstanding after issue 25. All the supporting characters get a chance to shine in the issues that follow. Also, Bucky Cap is the superior Cap.

I felt largely the same and am now looking around wondering why all the praise for Remender's current run as well. Perhaps solo Cap just isn't for me.

Anyone?

I have a question regarding the infinity gauntlet storyline. I see the infinity gauntlet omnibus hardcover comes out later this year and it's over 1200 pages. Then there is this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0785156593/?tag=neogaf0e-20 that is only 256 pages yet it doesn't say which stories it gathers. Is it a stand alone story and not collections from other comics? I'd like to get the whole story but really don't want to shell out $100 for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah I wouldn't hold Worlds' Finest up as an amazing book as much as I'd like to say otherwise. But the faults have been in a few small areas rather than one glaring flaw; Paul Levitz is a solid writer, usually, but has felt like he was tip toeing around some pretty puzzling restrictions, like interactions with most of Earth Prime. In theory I like the concept of Karen and Helena being fish out of water in a world that is similar too but not quite their own. I found Karen's desire to return home vs. Helena's willingness to start a new life fascinating. I liked their conflicting natures but die hard teamwork regardless of that, But then Paul spent issue after issue toying with just one bizarre concept after another, one dangling link to Apokolips and Earth 2 after another, but never brought it to fruition.

Worlds' Finest SHOULD BE the book that bridges the gap between Earth 2 and Earth Prime, but it has squandered it's chances and is just going to continue to slowly sink down in the charts towards eventual cancellation. I don't think any amount of crossovers with Batman/Superman are going to help, though I'm hopeful.

The biggest problem with Worlds' Finest is the connection to Earth 2. I can only imagine Levitz found himself in a situation not unlike George Perez (Superman/Action Comics) and was forced to spin wheels until DC knew what direction Earth 2 was going in. I remember James Robinson was interviewed in March (2013) and revealed plans for an eventual crossover between Prime Earth and Earth 2.

“If I’m talking about a big event that’s happening in 2014, it’s all these characters meeting each other [Earth 2 and Prime Earth heroes]…Crisis on Infinite Earths.” Robinson also… described himself as “the point guy” when it comes to the event, saying that Scott Snyder, Geoff Johns and Dan DiDio are also very involved.

I think the damage had already been done at this point, with Worlds' Finest on its tenth issue. That's nearly twelve issues, with no significant advances in writing. Levitz was on point with his characterizations though, I love the relationship he has built between Huntress and Power Girl. Their individual motivations are strong and developed well. It's just a shame there has been no significant movements forward until only now. Their meeting with Prime Earth Batman and Superman should have been reached much sooner. I think the book could have reached greater heights had there been more interactions with the greater DC universe, instead of existing on the fringes. I'll stick with it, as Levitz writes the characters well. I'm hoping that following Forever Evil, Power Girl's inclusion on the Suicide Squad is just a hint of things to come.

So May's incursion invlves an invasion from DC, lol

NEWAVN2013018-19-COL-f989d.jpg

wat is this trash? is this real?? lol

Anyone?

I have a question regarding the infinity gauntlet storyline. I see the infinity gauntlet omnibus hardcover comes out later this year and it's over 1200 pages. Then there is this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0785156593/?tag=neogaf0e-20 that is only 256 pages yet it doesn't say which stories it gathers. Is it a stand alone story and not collections from other comics? I'd like to get the whole story but really don't want to shell out $100 for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Infinity Gauntlet TPB likely only has the core six issues of the Infinity Gauntlet

The Omnibus has what looks like to be all the tie-ins:
COLLECTING: Silver Surfer (1987) 34-38, 40, 44-60; Thanos Quest 1-2; Infinity Gauntlet 1-6; Cloak & Dagger (1988) 18; Spider-Man (1990) 17; Incredible Hulk 383-385; Dr. Strange, Sorceror Supreme 31-36; Quasar 26-27; Sleepwalker 7

Hope that helps

wat is this trash? is this real?? lol

NEW AVENGERS #18
JONATHAN HICKMAN (W) • VALERIO SCHITI (A)
Cover by DUSTIN WEAVER
• In all of creation, only one Earth has successfully met and triumphed over each Incursion that has threatened it: the Earth of the heroes of the Great Society!
• Guess which Earth is on a collision course with ours?
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

NEW AVENGERS #18
JONATHAN HICKMAN (W) • VALERIO SCHITI (A)
Cover by DUSTIN WEAVER
• In all of creation, only one Earth has successfully met and triumphed over each Incursion that has threatened it: the Earth of the heroes of the Great Society!
• Guess which Earth is on a collision course with ours?
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Justice Society of America? I see Dr. Fate, Flash, Green Lantern/Power Ring and Superman.

Anyone?

The 256 page book should be just the core mini-series while the 1200 page includes all of the separate crossover books.

I've read just the core miniseries and I never felt like I was missing anything so I certainly don't think the additional material is required to understand the story.

Owzers

I finally got back into Saga and read issue #12 after several months of series neglect and there is a penis on this guy's robo tv head on the first page . Initial reaction: " What happened last issue?"

I need to reread issue #11 at the very least, i'm horrible at remembering stuff especially if i let a series slip for six months.

Frank wore a Hawkguy shirt in the new issue, I want Hawkguy to now wear a skull shirt, and them to like meet each other in Oklahoma and just stare at each other

ReiGun

Man just when I was busy talking about how "Wonder Woman" features more of her than people give it credit for, this issue has the least amount of Diana possible. Why you hanging me out to dry, Azzarello?!
Still good though. First Born > *

I'm trying to find sympathy for Supergirl in light of all this "Red Daughter of Krypton" stuff, but Kara's a jerk, so I'm having trouble.

No prior knowledge of the Metal Men but they rocked! New book idea, Cyborg and the Metal men!

I'd buy it!

Man, my IST order of Planetary Omni and Power Girl Power Trip were ordered on Saturday and their estimated delivery date is Monday. I would have paid the $4 shipping to get it faster. I can't wait to read them. I have been salivating at Amanda Conners art in the book ever since you guys were talking about it.

The X-Books this week were just pure filler trash, even Amazing X-Men.

Amazing X-Men: Let's all hug Nightcrawler or why arcs shouldn't be artificially lengthened for trade.

Uncanny X-Men: What's the point of this comic really?

X-Men: Who knew Rogue and Kitty Pryde (or more likely Coipel) were the real reasons why this series was good from the start.

Loke13

Man the X-men writers are really knocking it out the park with these books this week (except for Bendis). Nightcrawler visits the rest of his friends and we spirits them away and we actually get a pretty heartfelt scene between Kurt and Logan which I think was seriously lacking in other comics before if Aaron keeps up this level of heart for the book I see this being a very popular X-comic.

And on the X-men side of things I find this issue a little action less (at least the first half) The Sisterhood led by Arkea bolster there ranks with TWO classic X-villains powerhouses Selene and Maddie which is awesome!!

The X-Books this week were just pure filler trash, even Amazing X-Men.

Amazing X-Men: Let's all hug Nightcrawler or why arcs shouldn't be artificially lengthened for trade.

X-Men: Who knew Rogue and Kitty Pryde (or more likely Coipel) were the real reasons why this series was good from the start.

I thought Uncanny was fun It's definitely my second-favorite X-book. X-Men... yeah. The first arc was good. Now it's just... wut? All this shit is going down like it's important, and then nothing really happens, and it's not even mentioned in any of the other books. So it's really of no consequence. I'll stick it out through this arc, but if it doesn't improve with the start of the next one, I'm dropping it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The hate for bendis makes me sad because the only stuff I know of bendis was pre marvel when he was doing his black and white stuff and then Powers :(

Owzers

DCBS order is supposed to arrive friday, i'm going two days into the future and predicting my Amazing X-Men #4 thoughts: " I feel nothing"

So I picked up the new issue of Red Sonja and ordered the first trade from IST. Simone does a great job with the book and seems to get the character better than most writers. The only complaints I have were that I noticed at least three or four typos in issue #7. Not her fault, I know, but this slacker of an editor needs to be replaced. The other thing was that the Red Sonja character has always had this thing where she won't lie with anyone unless they can best her in combat. In this issue, she thinks about how she'd like a warm body in her bedroll, any warm body. That seems to go against one of her traditional character traits. Even so, it was a really fun read. Looking forward to more.

frye

The post-Dimension Z Cap arc bummed me out with cold war warrior/yellow peril nonsense (literal secret work camp for the bourgeoisie underneath the motherfucking great wall of china headed by fu manchu's nephew who's powered by a dragon he got on chinese new years) even though it's fundamentally a solid story so here's hoping Dr. Mindbubble brings things back on point.

That is fantastic

Na, not really. The last issue of Batman Inc. was more of a rant by Morrison and how pissed of he is at DC and Marvel by extension.

It was a more or less disconnected meta comment on how, no matter what a writer does to bring a character forward, his work get's undone. All his efforts to make a more balanced Batman had gone to waste, his characters had to become less defined once more and reduced to (instory) clones that can return and will by returned no matter what. Thus taking out the gravitas of any story.

It is a nice mirror of his work done in Action Comics at the same time. There Superdoom was shown as the corporate corruption of once great characters.

It was strange that DC published those issues the way they did, because it was a heavy critique on the way they (and Marvel) do business and even provided a slap or two to the middle aged fanbase.

Building up new characters and setting the stage of the world new mutants inhabit.
It's fun and funny. It is charming and has great character moments, without the illusion that the whole world depends on the characters. It is a nice break for the Uncanny X-Men book, that had to endure years of heavy universe-centered stories.

MG310

The hate for bendis makes me sad because the only stuff I know of bendis was pre marvel when he was doing his black and white stuff and then Powers :(

Bendis Daredevil - Absofuckinglutely
Bendis Alias - see above.
Bendis Avengers - Sure, why not? I like Luke Cage and Spider-Woman.
Bendis X-Men - No thanks. I'm just not enjoying it at all.

I am really looking forward to that alternate history mafia book he's doing with Oeming though.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50907

Vibranium

Banned

Agree with pretty much everything you said on Punisher #2, I wouldn't worry about the narration though, as Edmonson really gets going he'll probably lay off on Frank talking about his role in the MCU. It's just a thing for new readers. I loved
Electro's appearance at the end
, I thought it might be another lower-level character instead.

As for Cap #17, I loved it, Dr. Mindbubble is so freaking cool, a hippie LSD super-soldier with a taste in clothes that the Third and Eleventh Doctor could appreciate. I am getting tired of Remender pushing Junior as important (nobody likes him, I can't think of one comics fan who really cares), but I guess it's necessarily since Shen's beef is with the Real Nick and naturally his bastard son comes into play. I hope Rick stops using that horrible fake after this arc. But the series is much better know that Nic GOAT Klein is back on art, he should stay on Cap for future arcs.

The post-Dimension Z Cap arc bummed me out with cold war warrior/yellow peril nonsense (literal secret work camp for the bourgeoisie underneath the motherfucking great wall of china headed by fu manchu's nephew who's powered by a dragon he got on chinese new years) even though it's fundamentally a solid story so here's hoping Dr. Mindbubble brings things back on point.

Mindbubble is great so far, I like how he's calmly trippy and has a capacity for kindness. Also, if you've read the first issue of The Bitter March (it's good, pulpy espionage fun by the way) Iron Nail is getting more development when he was a good guy SHIELD agent so we know more about his motivations.

Vibranium

Banned

You're right about Cap as a character kind of not having much characterization in Bru's run, that's because Ed himself even explained that Bucky was his passion through his writing- Bru saw himself in Buck. In retorspect I do see a lot of flaws, but it remains one of my favourite comics runs. If it's not doing it for you, maybe jump off, that's ok.

The series does pick up somewhat though, you should read Captain America and Bucky, which covers Buck's time in the Red Room and his awesome relationship with Black Widow. There's a fantastic arc centered around Bucky being sent to a Russian gulag, and an encounter with Zemo in the main Cap title, when Steve was on the Secret Avengers.

Loke13

Building up new characters and setting the stage of the world new mutants inhabit.
It's fun and funny. It is charming and has great character moments, without the illusion that the whole world depends on the characters. It is a nice break for the Uncanny X-Men book, that had to endure years of heavy universe-centered stories.
I'm all for build up and new characters however Bendis's problem is that he's making a lot of wrong moves in this book. It's been 17 issues. 17!! And what exactly has Cyclops accomplished other than humiliating the Avengers, showing up at a rally, and writing a strongly worded letter to S.H.E.I.L.D and going by the solicits of issue #21 that's not changing anytime soon.

This book is moving at a glacial pace and quite frankly it's annoying and on top of that you have missed opportunities like this issue which should have been 2-3 issues focusing on the new mutants fleshing them out and their part in this revolution.

Ragnaroz

Started reading cosmic marvel books yesterday. Already up to Annihilation: Nova book 3. This stuff is so easy to get hooked on, and Drax is such a badass. Loving it so far.

tim1138

I'm loving the distillation of all of these pop culture genres and stories/styles in the beginning issues but so far, the Snow and Axel Brass issue has been the high point. Cassaday has hit his stride on this one and that last scene left me feeling a bit empty, but in a good way. Snow's "I was busy" was just perfect. What an issue.

Glad you're liking it. I always get a little nervous when I recommend a series.
Planetary is hands down my favorite work by Cassaday. It's a perfect book for his style, and it's fun to see him redesign so many classic concepts and characters. You've hit the spot where the series really starts to open up too.

Neither did I. Trust me when I say this, just having that book on my bookshelf makes me feel good about life. It radiates hope and is, hands down, THE Superman story to me. It's also accessible by everybody, moreso than any other Morrison book, but yields depths that are unbelievable if you probe.

Read it, fully, and then come and chat about it.

Hyperbole much?

Because I find lots of them to be entertaining and lots of characters. Superman is just a guy who never clicked with me. I am much more interested in Batman like characters, hence why I read so many bat books.

You should give John Byrne's mini series Man of Steel a read. It's a way depowered Superman who enjoys using the abilities he has.

Mafro

He's really, really good when doing solo street-level stuff. See:

Daredevil
Alias
Spider Woman
Moon Knight
Daredevil: End of Days

He's just not very good at all when writing series involving teams and multiple plot threads spanning over different titles. He often ignores continuity, loses track of what's happening and makes stuff up to fit his own stories, and when called out on it he just basically resorts to trolling. This is becoming more and more evident recently, especially with Age of Ultron, both of his X-Men titles and Guardians of the Galaxy. He's also done a pretty bad job in writing people horribly out of character, with the best example being the utter character assassination of Kitty Pryde at the end of Battle of the Atom. I'm fed up of her only being Jewish whenever the story calls for it when Bendis tries and fails to make a comparison between that and facing prejudice as a mutant.

Dark Avengers is by far the best team-based Marvel book he's done and most of his first volume of New Avengers was good, but everything else has been pretty disappointing and I think he's getting progressively worse. I just hope his tenure on X-men isn't as long as his Avengers one, as after Battle of the Atom he almost put me off the X-books for ever. Thank god for Brian Wood's X-Men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom