• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone read Captain America #17 this week? I'd love to hear some impressions. I've long been curious about "Dr. Mindbubble".

Just read that one, actually. Dr. Mindbubble like a hippie supervillain, so he's got a fun comic booky design and of course his bubbles can induce LSD-like hallucinations in his victims. He's got a personal vendetta against SHIELD for locking him up for 50 years, plus he sees them(and Cap) as icons for the giant American war machine, so he fits in with Iron Nail's big communist attack strategy.

Couple big interesting developments, and the Shaolin Scientist Squad from his Punisher run shows up, its a good issue.

Messi

This is going to seem a bit random but batman and robin spoilers:

Damien died in Batman INC right? It's not in the new 52 series, just Bruce's grief. When did Raj steal Damien's body? That wasn't in Tomasis book either.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
This is going to seem a bit random but batman and robin spoilers:

Damien died in Batman INC right? It's not in the new 52 series, just Bruce's grief. When did Raj steal Damien's body? That wasn't in Tomasis book either.

Last issue, Batman, Inc. Morrison knows that Batman can never stop being Batman, can never stop doing what he's doing, so that's the last scene. Two empty graves and a thirst for fucking justice.

Messi

Yeah, it was. She got to know Damian pretty well.

She is quite a fun character. I just watched Dark Knight returns part 1 the other day. The issues where she is pushing Bruce for info hurt, I felt quite bad for Bruce.

Last issue, Batman, Inc. Morrison knows that Batman can never stop being Batman, can never stop doing what he's doing, so that's the last scene. Two empty graves and a thirst for fucking justice.

That is fantastic

Let's not forget he has some clones of
Damien left over

Shits gonna get real good

tim1138

She is quite a fun character. I just watched Dark Knight returns part 1 the other day. The issues where she is pushing Bruce for info hurt, I felt quite bad for Bruce.

That is fantastic

There was also an epilogue where Ra's had a whole room of Damian clones growing.

Reading #13 of Cap right now. Remender's Cap's internal monologue really bothers me. It's really self-righteous and completely lacking of self-criticism or introspection? I don't know. I don't recall Cap coming off as this arrogant in any of his other runs I've read. Maybe it's all in my head, I don't know. And I know sliding timeline and all but fucking really, Cap wasn't around during Vietnam now? That's such an essential part of the character. What about Nixon being the head of CRAP? What about Nomad?

Vyer

Dr. Mindbubble is the first time in comics I've had a hard time - despite the quality of the writing - getting over how dumb the character looks.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
There was also an epilogue where Ra's had a whole room of Damian clones growing.

Yeap, the final page. So crazy and such a great way to end the run. The bits with Ras playing chess and just being this entity, this force, working in the background really helped the build up to that last page.

Filthy Slug

I have All Star Superman sitting here, I need to get on that. Don't really like Superman though. :/

Neither did I. Trust me when I say this, just having that book on my bookshelf makes me feel good about life. It radiates hope and is, hands down, THE Superman story to me. It's also accessible by everybody, moreso than any other Morrison book, but yields depths that are unbelievable if you probe.

Read it, fully, and then come and chat about it.

This Nuke arc is seriously the episode of King of the Hill where the WWII vets and Vietnam vets at VFW bicker about whose war was harder.

Messi

I just looked at the front page of comic vine. Do they use the stars for 1-3? One book on he front page is 3 stars the rest are 4 or 5. The 3 star book is the fantastic issue of Batman and Twoface. Can I write this site off now?

I have a question regarding the infinity gauntlet storyline. I see the infinity gauntlet omnibus hardcover comes out later this year and it's over 1200 pages. Then there is this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0785156593/?tag=neogaf0e-20 that is only 256 pages yet it doesn't say which stories it gathers. Is it a stand alone story and not collections from other comics? I'd like to get the whole story but really don't want to shell out $100 for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I used to like CBR reviews, but then I realize it was really just Tim Callahan, Benjamin Birdie, and Chad Nevett reviews I liked. Tim is obsessed with DnD RPGs now, Chad Nevett retired, and Birdie...well, rumor has it he's still working on that webcomic The Rack, but due to his perfectionist nature who knows when it will be released.

I just looked at the front page of comic vine. Do they use the stars for 1-3? One book on he front page is 3 stars the rest are 4 or 5. The 3 star book is the fantastic issue of Batman and Twoface. Can I write this site off now?

Speaking of Comicvine, I've been looking for a respectable website with trustworthy reviews. I don't mind asking for impressions here on GAF, in fact, I'd trust the word of GAF more so than a review score. However, I enjoy reading a detailed breakdown from time to time, but I haven't found a site that offers as much.

MartyStu

You know, I really like the new Jason Todd. He is one of the very few characters improved by the nu52 rewrite.

And I LOVE his power/skill set. I really wished more books used him.

Filthy Slug

Hey Filthy Slug, how're you liking Planetary?

I'm loving the distillation of all of these pop culture genres and stories/styles in the beginning issues but so far, the Snow and Axel Brass issue has been the high point. Cassaday has hit his stride on this one and that last scene left me feeling a bit empty, but in a good way. Snow's "I was busy" was just perfect. What an issue.

Just read that one, actually. Dr. Mindbubble like a hippie supervillain, so he's got a fun comic booky design and of course his bubbles can induce LSD-like hallucinations in his victims. He's got a personal vendetta against SHIELD for locking him up for 50 years, plus he sees them(and Cap) as icons for the giant American war machine, so he fits in with Iron Nail's big communist attack strategy.

Couple big interesting developments, and the Shaolin Scientist Squad from his Punisher run shows up, its a good issue.

Thanks for the impressions, it sounds like a solid issue. The wait for Dr. Mindbubble has been so long.

What about the Punisher? I'm enjoying Edmondson's Black Widow, but I have no familiarity with the Punisher as a character. Is Edmondson's Punisher worthwhile reading?

I like that Comic Vine reviewed a total of 2 DC books. Pack up it, we're clearly irrelevant.

I don't like heroes who are stupidly overpowered.

Go read Legion of Superheroes and learn what is amazing about Superman.

Amazing X-Men is secretly the best X book.

It's not a secret. It's the only one that has avoided stupid shit so far. I, as someone who doesn't like Marvel, have been enjoying it.

I love your avatar. Power Girl is the bomb! Are you reading Worlds' Finest?

Shamelessly stolen from the Japanese Mobile Emoticons that Bleeding Cool posted a week or so ago.

And yeah, I'm a diehard Peegee Fan. I'll buy pretty much anything she is in. I have a complete collection of the Pre New 52 Power Girl Run 1-29, all of Worlds' Finest + Variants.

IMG_7811.png

Messi

How has Batwoman been since the the creative change? I flicked through the issue that came out today and the art seems nowhere near as creative anymore.

How has Batwoman been since the the creative change? I flicked through the issue that came out today and the art seems nowhere near as creative anymore.

I'm enjoying it. I was personally one of those who felt that the previous creative team did excellent art and mediocre story. The new run seems good story + good artwork, but those are just my own personal metrics.

I will say I like Supergirl. So that kind of makes my point moo.

I'm beginning to sense a theme with you, Messi. Can't quite narrow it down, though.

Messi

I'm enjoying it. I was personally one of those who felt that the previous creative team did excellent art and mediocre story. The new run seems good story + good artwork, but those are just my own personal metrics.

I'm beginning to sense a theme with you, Messi. Can't quite narrow it down, though.

And what would that theme be .... :p

The art has taken a hit, creatively for sure, but Haun's work is just as strong and detailed. He draws a killer Batwoman. I'm rather happy with the new creative team, Andreyko's writing is strong and he brings a sense of realism and grounding to his characterisations. In fact, this week's issue has been Andreyko's best. I'd argue the writing is more consistent than it has ever been.

Messi

The art has taken a hit, creatively for sure, but Haun's work is just as strong and detailed. He draws a killer Batwoman. I'm rather happy with the new creative team, Andreyko's writing is strong and he brings a sense of realism and grounding to his characterisations. In fact, this week's issue has been Andreyko's best. I'd argue the writing is more consistent than it has ever been.

That's good to hear, I still buy it but I am only on issue 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom