• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't say I agree with this Bendis X-men chat at all, I think it's been great but hey, everyone enjoys different stuff.
Re-read East Of West volume 1 last night, really can't wait for the second volume to drop, I loooove that series. Gonna re-read Lazarus tonight I think. All out of new books for awhile, so just gonna go through my favourite stuff again. I only read East of West and Lazarus volume 1s the once after I got them at christmas, so should be fun.

Messi

Can't say I agree with this Bendis X-men chat at all, I think it's been great but hey, everyone enjoys different stuff.
Re-read East Of West volume 1 last night, really can't wait for the second volume to drop, I loooove that series. Gonna re-read Lazarus tonight I think. All out of new books for awhile, so just gonna go through my favourite stuff again. I only read East of West and Lazarus volume 1s the once after I got them at christmas, so should be fun.

I loved the first volume of East of West but felt the second volume lost its way a bit as they try to introduce too many new characters and they don't give them enough room to breathe. Fantastic art though and the paper quality is nuts.

He's really, really good when doing solo street-level stuff. See:

Daredevil
Alias
Spider Woman
Moon Knight
Daredevil: End of Days

He's just not very good at all when writing series involving teams and multiple plot threads spanning over different titles. He often ignores continuity, loses track of what's happening and makes stuff up to fit his own stories, and when called out on it he just basically resorts to trolling. This is becoming more and more evident recently, especially with Age of Ultron, both of his X-Men titles and Guardians of the Galaxy. He's also done a pretty bad job in writing people horribly out of character, with the best example being the utter character assassination of Kitty Pryde at the end of Battle of the Atom. I'm fed up of her only being Jewish whenever the story calls for it when Bendis tries and fails to make a comparison between that and facing prejudice as a mutant.

Dark Avengers is by far the best team-based Marvel book he's done and most of his first volume of New Avengers was good, but everything else has been pretty disappointing and I think he's getting progressively worse. I just hope his tenure on X-men isn't as long as his Avengers one, as after Battle of the Atom he almost put me off the X-books for ever. Thank god for Brian Wood's X-Men.

I agree with most of this. Bendis (and a lot of Marvel writers, it seems) has issues when writing teams. With a smaller ensemble (see DD) he does a great job with voices. But I think when writing a team of heroes he has a hard time keeping the voice for each established character in line.

I think Dark Avengers worked because it put together a bunch of jerks and scum which are much more diverse in characterization than simply "hero".

I really liked the beginning of ANXM, although it's slowed down quite a bit. Uncanny was definitely the weaker of the two books though. Prefer Aaron and Woods's X titles though.

Thoughts on UnderTow? Thought it was ok,, cool idea to it. Idk I'll probably check out 1-2 more issues.

Disney Kingdoms: Seekers of the Weird is a pretty fun book. I am enjoying it so far.

Amazing X-Men should be interesting leading up to a
"war" or some big fight with Azazel?

Still have left to read ,
•Night Of the Living DeadPool (love the cover!).
•Marvel Knights: The Hulk , I think all 3 Marvel Knight books have been decent.

Ok, I read vol 1 of Zero and have some questions.

Overall I liked the book but I feel certain points didn't click with me and I was missing something.

Is the tech behind the portal thing explained? Are we just to assume that it exist?

I guess this is the same but what was the last few pages of issue 5? Run down area that looked like a CDC quarantine zone and the ocean cliff with tubes coming out connecting to whatever.

Any insight?

*sigh* such a transparent troll.

Ugh, yeah, why would stories and art evoke emotions, passions, or just anything other than the need to say "IZ GUD" inside of a person?

Yes artwork can definitely evoke emotions, passions, and all kinds of feelings beyond saying "IZ GUD".

I just find that claiming to just have that book on your shelf "makes me feel good about life." to be slightly hyperbolic.

It's wonderful that the story found in it's pages gives you hope, I'm glad you enjoy it so much. How can you not see though that making such GRANDIOSE claims sounds a bit over done, and much.

I thank God every day I have Absolute All-Star Superman on my self. Its life-affirming.

Sometimes I touch the spine and I giggle like a small school girl.

Does anyone here have, or is anyone getting the Infinity hardcover? The paper quality looks pretty poor going by these impressions from elsewhere on Bleeding Cool http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02...per-quality-of-infinity-and-other-hardcovers/

It's made me have second thoughts about buying it.

It is pretty poor. I have it. Pages got wavey as soon as I took off the shrink wrap, although not as bad as the pictures I saw. Paper is pretty thin too. Even if they had released an Infinity book with just the 6 issues, I'd still have preferred this to buying that and the two individual Avengers/New Avengers issues since the reading order is so helpful, but it is pretty disappointing given it cost me £39. I'm on the edge of buy it anyway, since this concerns me far less than binding issues, but if that kind of thing drives you nuts, skip it. You'd be full of regret.

I just find that claiming to just have that book on your shelf "makes me feel good about life." to be slightly hyperbolic.

It's wonderful that the story found in it's pages gives you hope, I'm glad you enjoy it so much. How can you not see though that making such GRANDIOSE claims sounds a bit over done, and much.

As someone outside of this discussion in terms of caring about the story and just reading the response, this makes you look so bad man. I haven't read about nor care about all star Superman, but your point...ugh. Paints you in a bad light is all I'm saying.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yes artwork can definitely evoke emotions, passions, and all kinds of feelings beyond saying "IZ GUD".

For those of us that GET IT, All Star Superman is that good.

All this talk of bad hardcovers makes me doubt buying that Roger Stern Spider-Man omnibus that comes out in a few months. Hopefully it doesn't have all of these problems.

tim1138

And it's probably even better than that.

I have the digital trade (in fact it was the first Kindle edition trade I bought), and it makes me happy to know that I can have access to All Star Supes literally any where I go. If I've got nothing else to read on my lunch break I'll just read a random issue of it. It really is that damn good.

Owzers

DSC06869_zps7705adfa.jpg

Ewwwwwwwwwwww kill it. I have a lot of trades are like that though and i hate it, DC does that with some of their OHC. Marvel, don't set up a world where Omnibus sag and smaller hardcovers that would hold up better have crappy paper quality, there's no winners here.

Messi

I thank God every day I have Absolute All-Star Superman on my self. Its life-affirming.

Sometimes I touch the spine and I giggle like a small school girl.

I just read the first 3 chapters of this after the discussion last night and this...this is a Superman book I can get behind. I am really enjoying it. The 3rd chapter with Lois was incredibly sweet. At the very least I can seem myself wanting to read that issue again.

I will have more detailed impressions when I finish but as of right now it gets a thumbs up.

tim1138

I just read the first 3 chapters of this after the discussion last night and this...this is a Superman book I can get behind. I am really enjoying it. The 3rd chapter with Lois was incredibly sweet. At the very least I can seem myself wanting to read that issue again.

I will have more detailed impressions when I finish but as of right now it gets a thumbs up.

Issue 10 might be my single favorite issue of a comic ever.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I think awesomely sweet is what sums up ASS for me. That page with the moon kiss! <3 <3

You have to use good paper, you have to. When I pick an Image book or Boom there is a sense of pride behind it with high quality paper. With Marvel they just use toilet paper. Fear Agent library is something to strive for. I can understand them not being proud of Age of Ultron or Fear Itself but Uncanny X Force omni having this shit paper? Get outta here.

arkon

You have to use good paper, you have to. When I pick an Image book or Boom there is a sense of pride behind it with high quality paper. With Marvel they just use toilet paper. Fear Agent library is something to strive for. I can understand them not being proud of Age of Ultron or Fear Itself but Uncanny X Force omni having this shit paper? Get outta here.

Library editions in general are the right way to do it I think. Good build quality. Not overly hefty and reasonably priced.

Kind of worried about my Uncanny X-Force omnibus pre-order... I didn't wait all this time to end up with this shit.

Owzers

I wish they'd just go Daredevil/Hawkeye OHC production quality. Decent quality all around, priced a little high though.

How can you not see though that making such GRANDIOSE claims sounds a bit over done, and much.

As a card carrying enthusiaste, I have to wonder why on earth would it ever bother you or fucking anyone if someone gets excited about something, even if it's outrageously so.

The cynic's war on joy, enthusiasm, and hyperbole is so ridiculous. It's possible to be intelligent and also be excited about things. Not everything has to be second guessed and torn down.

Start at 1. Nothing to supplement them. Court of Owls, City of Owls, then Death of the Family which will lead into Zero Year which is his best work.

Awesome, thanks!

As for the Bendis talk he kinda reminds of the comics version of Aaron Sorkin where all of their characters can be a little too clever and quippy for their own good but when everything clicks it can be pretty amazing. Bendis is hit or miss for me at times but his run on Ultimate Spidey is probably one of my favorite runs ever (own and love the first Omnibus, is a second ever going to happen?) so I'll take the good with the bad.

Eldren

Tradd Moore's art is so damn cool. I see he managed to sneak in a Final Fantasy 7 reference (Midgar Zolom Strikes Again), nice. Do we know who's doing the colours? I don't recall seeing a name. Felipe Sobreiro?

Ewwwwwwwwwwww kill it. I have a lot of trades are like that though and i hate it, DC does that with some of their OHC. Marvel, don't set up a world where Omnibus sag and smaller hardcovers that would hold up better have crappy paper quality, there's no winners here.

I avoided the worst of DC's stuff but have 20 - 30 of their hardcovers and nothing looks like that, or anything close. Any book that warped after less than 30 days should be returned for a complete refund.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

And it's probably even better than that.

I have the digital trade (in fact it was the first Kindle edition trade I bought), and it makes me happy to know that I can have access to All Star Supes literally any where I go. If I've got nothing else to read on my lunch break I'll just read a random issue of it. It really is that damn good.

As a card carrying enthusiaste, I have to wonder why on earth would it ever bother you or fucking anyone if someone gets excited about something, even if it's outrageously so.

The cynic's war on joy, enthusiasm, and hyperbole is so ridiculous. It's possible to be intelligent and also be excited about things. Not everything has to be second guessed and torn down.

Beautifully said, guys. Art and stories have the ability to change people, to inspire important things, even if it's just a pleasant feeling given off for a half a second after reading a panel of a comic book about a Sun God who lands in Kansas as a baby, and strives to represent the best among a race of people who aren't his own, but need him.

That said, there was this article from Morrisoncon, by Rob Bass, where he recounts his experience finally meeting Morrison, and this small story from the larger article always stuck with me:

"...I want to think him for the novel he gave me with a vigorous handshake but remember I’ve got to say what I already told Quitely too, about my dear friend in Seattle who I read ALL-STAR SUPERMAN to when he was dying but I was only trying to share my favorite comic book with him, didn’t grasp the hyperdensity of giving a terminal patient the story of Superman’s acceptance of his mortality and the final heroism that such an act inspires in him, how crushing of a load that of course was to drop on someone who knows he’s going to die, only he seemed to accept it, embrace it, even, and the way I watched the themes of that masterpiece’s hope and optimism waveform right up off the page and take root to effect positive change in the face of my brave friend, I will never forget that, resonating with me down through the years, and I want Morrison to know what work his story has wrought that he never knew, and he says, “Ah, you’re bringing tears to my eyes, Brother,” and it feels just like Orion has been going to town on my mid-section for a few minutes now, and we finish up and embrace and he grabs the closed Lone Star for the picture and says, “We’ve got to clink them, Brother!” and we do."

Beautifully said, guys. Art and stories have the ability to change people, to inspire important things, even if it's just a pleasant feeling given off for a half a second after reading a panel of a comic book about a Sun God who lands in Kansas as a baby, and strives to represent the best among a race of people who aren't his own, but need him.

That said, there was this article from Morrisoncon, by Rob Bass, where he recounts his experience finally meeting Morrison, and this small story from the larger article always stuck with me:

"...I want to think him for the novel he gave me with a vigorous handshake but remember I’ve got to say what I already told Quitely too, about my dear friend in Seattle who I read ALL-STAR SUPERMAN to when he was dying but I was only trying to share my favorite comic book with him, didn’t grasp the hyperdensity of giving a terminal patient the story of Superman’s acceptance of his mortality and the final heroism that such an act inspires in him, how crushing of a load that of course was to drop on someone who knows he’s going to die, only he seemed to accept it, embrace it, even, and the way I watched the themes of that masterpiece’s hope and optimism waveform right up off the page and take root to effect positive change in the face of my brave friend, I will never forget that, resonating with me down through the years, and I want Morrison to know what work his story has wrought that he never knew, and he says, “Ah, you’re bringing tears to my eyes, Brother,” and it feels just like Orion has been going to town on my mid-section for a few minutes now, and we finish up and embrace and he grabs the closed Lone Star for the picture and says, “We’ve got to clink them, Brother!” and we do."

Aw, man, thank you for this.

Art can change the world for the better, full stop. Get on board or GTFO.

;D

tim1138

It suddenly got dusty in my office, or someone must be chopping an onion somewhere...

I hadn't read that, thanks for sharing it.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It suddenly got dusty in my office, or someone must be chopping an onion somewhere...

I hadn't read that, thanks for sharing it.

Haha--I think of that article whenever somebody mentions All Star Superman and then reread it, and I'm transported to the dustiest, most onion-laden office as well.

Glad you guys like the story. Something about the way it's written, rushed and super raw, spelling errors and emotion, makes it so fucking good to read and the story itself is just...man, those onions.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=20372
Art looks so so freakin' schway. Story better not be Morbius redux....
Tradd Moore's art is so damn cool. I see he managed to sneak in a Final Fantasy 7 reference (Midgar Zolom Strikes Again), nice. Do we know who's doing the colours? I don't recall seeing a name. Felipe Sobreiro?

I have to give Ghost Rider a try because I adore Tradd Moore's art. Protagonist of colour sweetens the deal.

I agree with you all, the art looks amazing. I was looking earlier, which was why I was asking about the writer. I'll definitely need to see reviews first, since the guy has only really worked on manga and has no body of comic work yet, but definitely looks great. This, Elektra, Iron Fist, Moon Knight, Marvel are doing exciting things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom