• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

So many comic book movies now.
When comic sales plummeted the fear was the industry would suffer immensely, but the huge success of comic movies and TV has to be helping.

I have a bud who has the old Rocket Raccoon miniseries so I'm looking forward to reading that.

want!

DC Batman Animated Series Figures

tnab_timeline_photo_580_5303fb746a9340.18891985.jpg

So many comic book movies now.
When comic sales plummeted the fear was the industry would suffer immensely, but the huge success of comic movies and TV has to be helping.

I have a bud who has the old Rocket Raccoon miniseries so I'm looking forward to reading that.

I haven't seen it help that much. Comic Movies are bigger than ever and the biggest selling books are still in the 200k region, IIRC.

DC's online store shows the first of those coming out at the end of March. Maybe they got delayed a month?
Just a few days ago it showed Superwoman, Ultraman and Power Ring shipping next week like originally solicted. Johnny Quick and Owlman for yhe last week of Marc. This displeases me.

I haven't seen it help that much. Comic Movies are bigger than ever and the biggest selling books are still in the 200k region, IIRC.

I don't think there's enough tie in and might still be some social stigma with reading comic books. They have to find a way to make people want to continue the story rather than wait a couple years for the next movie to come out. A lot of people were pumped up from the movies but very few even considered reading the books about it. I don't think there has been enough communication with them rebooting series either recently since when you do bring up something like spiderman or something that's been around forever that people think they can't start reading because isn't there like 1,000 spiderman comics? It was a good time to reboot with the success of the movies lately but they didn't make that connection in the minds of most people, it feels like they only advertised to those who already were buying the comics.

Parch

It's hard to really tell if it is making a big difference. While comic are still selling around 200K, didn't the movies result in more titles? More titles. More sales.
Didn't Batman, Spider-Man, X-Men, and Avengers see an increase in titles around the same time their movies were popular?

Ann Nocenti is trollin', b

she wants to see just how bad she can write before people just stop reading a book mainly(only?) because it has a character they like, or she gets thrown off. Its a big experiment.

Messi

Gaf mobile won't let me post. Does Nocenti's power know no bounds

Edit: she can't even do that right it seems

--

My original post:

How the hell do you buy this crap every month Messi?"

I... I.. Can't explain this. I love Selina so much that I will read this crap each month but every month it hurts me more. She deserves better than Nocenti. Get the Harley team to write Catwoman also. Nocenti is dreadful. But where else can I turn for up to date Catwoman. They have me by the balls.

I keep reading old stories though aand those are great. But it makes me more aware of how bad it is now.

Why did Snyder compliment her... I respect him and that compliment hurt.

c'mon tim

you just made that line up

He didn't. :(

tim1138

Gaf mobile won't let me post. Does Nocenti's power know no bounds

Edit: she can't even do that right it seems

--

My original post:

I... I.. Can't explain this. I love Selina so much that I will read this crap each month but every month it hurts me more. She deserves better than Nocenti. Get the Harley team to write Catwoman also. Nocenti is dreadful. But where else can I turn for up to date Catwoman. They have me by the balls.

I keep reading old stories though aand those are great. But it makes me more aware of how bad it is now.

Why did Snyder compliment her... I respect him and that compliment hurt.

He didn't. :(

Stop buying it and making them think it's ok!

God, and the Catwoman issue was followed with that terrible Suicide Squad issue. I can't even finish this. It's all terrible by association.

Messi

Stop buying it and making them think it's ok!

God, and the Catwoman issue was followed with that terrible Suicide Squad issue. I can't even finish this. It's all terrible by association.

The suicide squad issues are worse. But Nocenti has the consistency down.

I can't stop buying it. I don't want Catwoman to go away. She just needs a new writer. The art is fine. You folks lead me to believe she was being removed but she is back in the may listing. Like a bad fucking rash.

Annnnd yet another InStockTrades order,,,

I haven't read much Superman at all,, I had to check out All Star Superman
(got all 12 issues TP) Thanks y'all.

..and also ordered, Batman & Robin Vol.1 and Y The Last Man Vol. 1

Messi

So 3 fantastic books

I wish I could read Y again for the first time. Amazing book.

Imm about to drop as much as I spend on DCBS a month at instock. Creating that list right now. Going all in on Hellboy.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Great order right here. You've got three incredibly different books, and all really good.

Hagi

Comic Gaf i just got Marvel Unlimited for my new Nexus amd could do with some reccomended runs.

Currently got in my library the new Cap series, new Deadpool and i'm reading through Annihilation.

Messi

Comic Gaf i just got Marvel Unlimited for my new Nexus amd could do with some reccomended runs.

Currently got in my library the new Cap series, new Deadpool and i'm reading through Annihilation.

Stick with Deadpool through the dead presidents arc. It gets a lot better.

Comic sales were up 9% last year, and 14% the year before that. It is not clear whether or not this is due to the movies.

http://www.newsarama.com/19986-2013-comic-books-sales-up-9-image-has-bestselling-comic-gn.html

I'm curious as to how much of an increase they have seen in the digital space in addition to how Marvel Unlimited is doing. I mentioned it a few pages ago but I would love both DC and Image to follow suit and have a Netflix style service for their stuff as well. Obviously Image has an insane amount of logistical hurdles to deal with but why hasn't DC followed suite? Seems like a logical revenue stream, especially if Marvel Unlimited has been a success.

Not sure exactly what is captured but if available definitely check out:

Bendis - Ultimate Spider-Man
Vaughn - Runaways
Fraction - Immortal Iron First
Whedon - Astonishing X-Men
Morrison - New X-Men
Millar - The Ultimates
Bendis - Avengers / New Avengers

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just finished Avengers Arena.

Nikko really needs a own series. Loved her in this comic, definitly my favourite character of these all.

Was having a look at wolverine and the x-men, trades and such. Jesus. Volume 1 and 2 are both only 4 issues long, 112 pages. Then the next two volumes are AvX tie-ins. Would starting at volume 5 be an acceptable thing or do you need to get in at the ground floor for plot payoffs etc.

Owzers

Was having a look at wolverine and the x-men, trades and such. Jesus. Volume 1 and 2 are both only 4 issues long, 112 pages. Then the next two volumes are AvX tie-ins. Would starting at volume 5 be an acceptable thing or do you need to get in at the ground floor for plot payoffs etc.

might as well wait for the omnibus, first two volumes were the best , followed by the last two or three. The middle was the low point for me, avx tie-ins that you were thinking about skipping included.

Just finished Avengers Arena.

Nikko really needs a own series. Loved her in this comic, definitly my favourite character of these all.

She's part of Avengers Undercover. I think she had a one-shot years ago as part of Mystic Arcana (Annihilation-style event with magic instead of cosmic).

IMO, the first 8 issues are the best. It's still good after that but it never reaches those heights again.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Get in at the ground floor. Get the first 8 or so issues because they set the tone for the book, introduce the characters, and read as some of the most fun and heartfelt comics of the past few years.

Another reason, if you're going to slog through the crossovers, you want those first few awesome issues to keep you going, because you know what Aaron is capable of and you know how much he loves these characters.

I can't offer up any sort of opinion after that because I got bogged down and had to take it off my pull. Crossover-hell made something so fun, so terrible.

Oh, also, you have to read the Wolverine and Doop issue. SO GOOD.
Fighting bowling alley Nazis is an important job.

The suicide squad issues are worse. But Nocenti has the consistency down.

I can't stop buying it. I don't want Catwoman to go away. She just needs a new writer. The art is fine. You folks lead me to believe she was being removed but she is back in the may listing. Like a bad fucking rash.
Catwoman is never going away forever though. if everyone stops buying it, they probably won't cancel it right away, they'll take her off the book. it's being optimistic, but then everyone wins and you aren't forcing shitty Catwoman stories on your eyes. There's enough good Catwoman to go read instead, and it probably has even better art.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So I started reading my Fraction Iron Man book. I just finished the first arc, The Five Nightmares, that seems to be most people's favorite Iron Man story. Is it just me or did anyone else find it fairly mediocre? I mean, it wasn't boring, but it didn't really seem like anything special. Just seemed like a really straightforward superhero arc.

Also, this talk about IST orders has me really hyped for my orders I'll be placing pretty soon. I haven't ordered anything from IST before, but I plan to spend quite a bit there in the coming months. Definitely gonna be getting the Fear Agent library editions when volume 2 comes out, and then Big Damn Sin City when that comes out. And probably a few other hardcovers like Daytripper Deluxe Edition and maybe Criminal Deluxe Edition. It's gonna be a good time.

Silver Surfer #1 Francavilla variant cover is $25?....hmmm :-/ grrrr

Neither of my local comic book stores ordered enough Silver Surfer books to get the Francavilla Variant,,, how do I go about getting a copy ?!?

I bought No Mans Land vol 1 and I liked it. Soon after I bought vol 2 out of 4. I read a few issues and it was brought down by all the Azreal and Young Justice tie ins and I have been struggling to get through it. Part of me wants to know how it all ends. Is it worth the journey?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So I started reading my Fraction Iron Man book. I just finished the first arc, The Five Nightmares, that seems to be most people's favorite Iron Man story. Is it just me or did anyone else find it fairly mediocre? I mean, it wasn't boring, but it didn't really seem like anything special. Just seemed like a really straightforward superhero arc.
For me its was only the prelude for the rest of the Omnibus. Really loved the storys that came after this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom