• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bunker issue one was alright. Read like a slideshow. The concept was interesting. The art was confusing. Hopefully the narrative pacing becomes balanced.

I bought No Mans Land vol 1 and I liked it. Soon after I bought vol 2 out of 4. I read a few issues and it was brought down by all the Azreal and Young Justice tie ins and I have been struggling to get through it. Part of me wants to know how it all ends. Is it worth the journey?
That's why the novelization is by leaps and bounds superior.

frye

That there are now 3 speedy dudes named Velocity (including the cat from Generation Hope) is my new favourite thing.

That there are now 3 speedy dudes named Velocity (including the cat from Generation Hope) is my new favourite thing.

Nope, only one Velocity.

1378147225.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Holy crap! I'd think he'd have better luck selling at a comic store though.

I just spent way too long on eBay trying to work out how much I'd have to sell to break even. Haha

I'm pretty sure it'd be way too much work though. Might as well just get a second job and buy the books myself.

kmfdmpig

I bought No Mans Land vol 1 and I liked it. Soon after I bought vol 2 out of 4. I read a few issues and it was brought down by all the Azreal and Young Justice tie ins and I have been struggling to get through it. Part of me wants to know how it all ends. Is it worth the journey?
Definitely worth it. Azrael and Robin issues are not the best but overall it's one of my favorite arcs. It'll get better when rucka gets in as well.

Hagi

Stick with Deadpool through the dead presidents arc. It gets a lot better.

Not sure exactly what is captured but if available definitely check out:

Bendis - Ultimate Spider-Man
Vaughn - Runaways
Fraction - Immortal Iron First
Whedon - Astonishing X-Men
Morrison - New X-Men
Millar - The Ultimates
Bendis - Avengers / New Avengers

Thanks a lot for the help. It's pretty awesome to have access to a huge backlog.

tim1138

The back to back crap of Catwoman and Adam Glass Suicide Squad completely crushed my spirits, I cannot finish the Death of the Family trade. As underwhelmed as I was by the Owls I'm done with Snyder as well. This is the second chance I've given his run and just doesn't do a thing for me, there's just no emotion in it.

Whenever the library gets Infinity hc in, I'll give Hickman's work for hire stuff a shot, but I doubt it will meet the lofty standards set by the Manhattan Projects.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Hey Marvel, we really need a Broo: Intern of Stark miniseries like now:

Yep, this weeks A+X was better than all of Gillen's Iron Man run put together. It really shouldn't be so hard to make good comics out of the character during his largest period of mainstream popularity ever, but hey MARVEL NOW.1XP!!!!!

Whenever the library gets Infinity hc in, I'll give Hickman's work for hire stuff a shot, but I doubt it will meet the lofty standards set by the Manhattan Projects.

Haven't read Fantastic Four yet man but I've read the rest, some brilliant stuff. Secret Warriors is a brilliant character piece of the ever enduring Nick Fury with all sorts of crazy wacky shit weaved in. SHIELD is super dense, feels like one of his older creator owned books, more like red mass for mars era hickman or something. Cool ,but without volume 2 and answers, kind of on an island right now. His Avengers/New Avengers through to Infinity is just really great interesting stuff, I like how it brings some new ideas about how the universe works with some older
new universe
and how he fits that all together to lead to Infinity. Definitely read Avengers 1 & 2, and New Avengers 1 before that OHC though.

Although, to put this all in context, I love TMP, but not nearly as much as East of West or some of his older things. TMP is very throwaway fun to me from Hickman (while still bieng cleverer and more ambitious than most books on the market haha), and what I like from Hickman is that sense of focus and building to something bigger and bigger. So if you love TMP the most, that might change which of these you like etc. compared to me

You an East of West fan, Tim?

I'm pretty sure I'm set to drop it after the next issue (I have a thing about not dropping ongoings mid-arc). I just really haven't been feeling it lately. It could be that it'll all build to something epic and rewarding but I'm just not enjoying the journey enough.

Y'all need to read nightly News. One if the best comics in the past few Yerevan. Hick mans design sense is amazing. .

Can't wait for his new serried that he his drawing

tim1138

You an East of West fan, Tim?

I'm pretty sure I'm set to drop it after the next issue (I have a thing about not dropping ongoings mid-arc). I just really haven't been feeling it lately. It could be that it'll all build to something epic and rewarding but I'm just not enjoying the journey enough.

A friend lent me the first few issues of East of West and it just didn't grab me. I appreciate the concept and like you, imagine the payoff is going to be huge, but I couldn't get into it. I'll probably come back to it after the second trade comes out and give it another shot.

I dunno if it's my background in history or what, but the Manhattan Projects is hands down my favorite comic being published right now. The Oppenheimer civil war, Warner von Braun's robot parts, the touching relationship between Yuri Gargarin and Laika, the art and color palette, I love everything about it. You guys don't even understand my love for this book, haha. You have no idea how disappointed my wife was that she couldn't find any of Nick Pitarra's pages for sale for a Christmas gift for me. Donie saying it's throw away entertainment for him just boggles my mind.

So I started reading my Fraction Iron Man book. I just finished the first arc, The Five Nightmares, that seems to be most people's favorite Iron Man story. Is it just me or did anyone else find it fairly mediocre? I mean, it wasn't boring, but it didn't really seem like anything special. Just seemed like a really straightforward superhero arc.

I read the first Fraction IM omnibus last week. I wasn't very impressed either by "Five Nightmares" but, man, I loved the second arc "World's Most Wanted". So good that I immediately ordered the second omnibus within about a minute of finishing. From what I've read online "Worlds Most Wanted" seems to be on the of the most acclaimed arcs of the run. Haven't seen much love for "Five Nightmares" outside of talk about how accessible it is if you've just watched the first IM movie.

tim1138

I would love to Mikel Janin take over art duties on Wonder Woman, he's one of the best artists at DC and I feel like no one knows his stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom