• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my pull list cut down to 35 with 4 of those ending by at the most summer time. With that pull, I have also been pulling Pandora, Constantine, Phantom Stranger, FE Argus, FE AW and a few more off the shelf. So I have been pulling 40+ comfortably financially. Come summer I'll have some room to add some new books. I have taken into account Superior going to Amazing and JLA going to United.

As much as I like Snyder, I'm pretty sure I will trade wait American Vampire. As much as I like the idea of a bunch of the new image books, I think I might trade wait most of them.

Of the 35 on my list, 21 are cape books.

I think you're the only person on these threads who obsesses over your pull list as much as I do, ha. Not that it's a bad thing, of course. Organizing (and agonizing over) the list is part of the fun.

I've already got all my picks for next month prepared, including one-shots. 29 books overall with 3 in their final month. Fighting to keep the list low for the upcoming Image titles I know I'll need. I'm not sure what my overall pull is though. It all gets kinda wonky for the monthly numbers with all the breaks Image books take.

I think you're the only person on these threads who obsesses over your pull list as much as I do, ha. Not that it's a bad thing, of course. Organizing (and agonizing over) the list is part of the fun.

I don't think it's so uncommon a thing. I email my comic guy every few weeks with additions and subtractions to my pull-list. He prefers it that way simply so he doesn't end up ordering shit that's going to end up back on the rack. Especially since some books he orders just for me.

I've always loved to read fiction books as a kid but I never really got into reading comic books. Can somebody just recommend the classics comics / series that a first time comic book reader should delve into. I don't care if its Marvel, DC, Vertigo, The Walking Dead, whatever ! Just would like to know what the really good ones are.

Thanks!

I dunno if it's my background in history or what, but the Manhattan Projects is hands down my favorite comic being published right now. The Oppenheimer civil war, Warner von Braun's robot parts, the touching relationship between Yuri Gargarin and Laika, the art and color palette, I love everything about it. You guys don't even understand my love for this book, haha. You have no idea how disappointed my wife was that she couldn't find any of Nick Pitarra's pages for sale for a Christmas gift for me. Donie saying it's throw away entertainment for him just boggles my mind.

Hahah nono, that is not what I meant at all. I tried to word it like...it's like it's just throwaway entertainment for Hickman. Like that's just his fun wacky outlet, but that's why I said too, Hickman just letting loose and just doing crazy and colourful is still effectively high brow compared to a lot of other books, for the reader haha. Does this make sense? I don't mean it to demean the book of course, Hickman is one of my favourite writers. Just, when I read it, it feels like Hickman's just having fun (which is great) whereas when I read East Of West or pretty much anything else, it feels like he's writing with a purpose, to get somewhere and show you something. This feeling I get makes me prefer East Of West more. TMP is a cool book though with plenty clever insights and subversions

Also, just in pure funny terms, I thought the first 6 issues were much funnier and made me grin more than the next two volumes and even through rereads, my stance hasn't changed much on that. I do really like TMP though. I studied History at university on the side of my psych major so you can believe I have a large natural interest in history too haha. As I say though, bottom line, TMP is one of the better books on my list, just not my favourite thing by him.

I've always loved to read fiction books as a kid but I never really got into reading comic books. Can somebody just recommend the classics comics / series that a first time comic book reader should delve into. I don't care if its Marvel, DC, Vertigo, The Walking Dead, whatever ! Just would like to know what the really good ones are.

Thanks!

X-Men: Lifedeath

Tizoc

Great reads this week

Punisher #2
Frank having a character is both a breath of fresh air and at the same time odd, but non the less this book is still pretty good.

Daredevil 36
Has it really been 3 years? If so best 3 years of Daredevil yet!
So Hornhead's moving to
San Fran? Looking forward to more adventures

Megaman 34
I like how Ian's made Wily's robots be so...bro-tastic. They're not even behaving like villains!
Great issue and the Megaman X back up was nice too.

Eldren

Ah nice. Glad to hear it. And to be fair, I hadn't read the epilogue yet with Spider-Man and Ben Urich. That was a really good issue.
But yeah, I'm really hoping I have the same experience as you (and I don't doubt I will) because those Iron Man hardcovers are pretty great value, and it'd be nice to have the set rather than just the one lonely hardcover. Haha

Are you reading the omnibus editions or the individual hardcovers? Because if it's the former, just to let you know, there's only one other omnibus. The second half of the series is only collected in individual trades. I'm still holding out hope there'll be more omnibuses (omnibi?) in the future because I want to keep my collection consistent. (Of course, if you're reading in trades, then go right ahead!)

what are the best Ghost Rider comics? Also wasn't Ghost Rider originally a cowboy?

The very first Ghost Rider was a cowboy, yeah. The only Ghost Rider I've read is the Jason Aaron Omnibus which is really fun. It's like Viewtiful said, it's just pure comics fun but it has a really great story too. Worth checking out.

Well, Azzarello leaving WW will be interesting. They managed to get two people in my house who have never been interested in the character before not only reading it, but real enthusiasts for the book. Now the test is whether they can keep us on-board with a creator change. In one hand, I would rather whoever takes over does their own thing, but at the same time I don't really want to read a WW book where it's supervillians and the kind of thing you already get in justice league if you want it. The pantheon and the greek pantheon-esque tales are what draw me in. Interesting though.

I feel bad for my girlfriend though. Her favourite DC books were Batman & Robin, Nightwing, WW and Batwoman. They killed Damien, Who knows what's happening to Dick, Azzarello leaving and Blackman/Williams off Batwoman. The other books she reads are Fables/Fairest and AmpVamp. Fables et all is going away and AmVamp has been on break for ages haha. Harsh times.

Sadist

Man I love Aaron's work on X-Men. Wolverine and the X-Men is great and the fourth issue of Amazing X-Men is pretty sweet as well. That hug :(

The last page is truly amazing.

ReiGun

Well, Azz did say the story was only planned for three years and we're in year 3 now. I figured DC might try to get him to stay on a little longer, though.

Interested to see who they get to take over and what they'll do. Hopefully they'll reintroduce some WW villains. Like Circe; so weird she hasn't been in Azz's run when she is a Greek myth herself.

Let's all offer up a prayer that Lobdell or Nonsensi don't get Wonder Woman.

Don't even joke like that. :(

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I bought No Mans Land vol 1 and I liked it. Soon after I bought vol 2 out of 4. I read a few issues and it was brought down by all the Azreal and Young Justice tie ins and I have been struggling to get through it. Part of me wants to know how it all ends. Is it worth the journey?

having just re-read it this year I'd say that defintely yes it's worth continuing. However, I've got no idea why they felt the need to include that Azrael and YJ stuff either, it's fucking horseshit. I threw those issues away. Literally the only stuff you need to read is the mainline titles (batman, tec, shadow and LOTDK) plus the Nightwing issues. Everything else is throwaway and DC should be ashamed for fucking with the momentum of a collection by including them. They're typical bad 90s comics whereas the rest of NML is (IMO) some of the first instances of 'modern' and worthwhile mainstream comics. Greg Rucka comes on about a third of the way in and proceeds to write almost everything and it's glorious.

I am absolutely in love with Scott Hepburn's art. The final splash page in Rogues Rebellion with all the villains,oh my heck.

I am worried about Robert Venditti writing Flash. He writes an absolutely horrible Hal, his new recruits are worse than Bendis' new mutants and the direction of the story is not compelling in the slightest. The creation of Relic had to been a parting gift from Geoff Johns or the work of an ambitious editor.

kmfdmpig

having just re-read it this year I'd say that defintely yes it's worth continuing. However, I've got no idea why they felt the need to include that Azrael and YJ stuff either, it's fucking horseshit. I threw those issues away. Literally the only stuff you need to read is the mainline titles (batman, tec, shadow and LOTDK)/QUOTE]
There is also a larry hama issue which is embarrassingly bad. It's like an entry from a dim witted child in the midst of good writing. Basically if it's by Dixon or Rucka it's good but otherwise it can be hot or miss.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
having just re-read it this year I'd say that defintely yes it's worth continuing. However, I've got no idea why they felt the need to include that Azrael and YJ stuff either, it's fucking horseshit. I threw those issues away. Literally the only stuff you need to read is the mainline titles (batman, tec, shadow and LOTDK)/QUOTE]
There is also a larry hama issue which is embarrassingly bad. It's like an entry from a dim witted child in the midst of good writing. Basically if it's by Dixon or Rucka it's good but otherwise it can be hot or miss.

Oh yeah I skipped that too, wasn't that the Mr Freeze story? Larry Hama was one of DC's worst ever hires.

IMO as soon as Gordon makes the deal with the devil and the fallout starts is when it gets good. Love the Batgirl in this series too. I Hold the Waterfront is a great little story.

Buy it! That is a brilliant run and the binding and paper quality are top notch.
It's sad we have to note that paper quality is good for such expensive releases. See through paper is unacceptable. I'd be willing to write Marvel a Dr. Strange ongoing on that toilet paper though. I figured out how to do Marvel magic Quesada!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Very good series, a good buy if you think 700 page comic books are fun or easy to read.

Don't you talk somebody out of that gorgeous omnibus, Jedeye. It's a great package that's easy to read if you have a lap, bed, desk, couch, pile of leaves, or freakishly large gorilla hands!

Morrison's Animal Man is a damn good read, and a great introduction to the writer's body of work. It slowly submerges you into the meta-comicness of it all but not before you get a good feel for the characters and what some of the major themes of the book are.

Art is a bit rough in the beginning but nothing offensive.

Buy it! That is a brilliant run and the binding and paper quality are top notch.

Good call, almost forgot to mention the binding and quality--perfect. Better than half of my Absolutes...

tim1138

Don't you talk somebody out of that gorgeous omnibus, Jedeye. It's a great package that's easy to read if you have a lap, bed, desk, couch, pile of leaves, or freakishly large gorilla hands!

Morrison's Animal Man is a damn good read, and a great introduction to the writer's body of work. It slowly submerges you into the meta-comicness of it all but not before you get a good feel for the characters and what some of the major themes of the book are.

Good call, almost forgot to mention the binding and quality--perfect. Better than half of my Absolutes...

I'm ashamed we both forgot the top selling point, it features B'wana Beast!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Are you reading the omnibus editions or the individual hardcovers? Because if it's the former, just to let you know, there's only one other omnibus. The second half of the series is only collected in individual trades. I'm still holding out hope there'll be more omnibuses (omnibi?) in the future because I want to keep my collection consistent. (Of course, if you're reading in trades, then go right ahead!)

The omnibus editions. And yeah, I did know that there was only one other one. Pretty lame, but I'm not bothered enough to complete the collection with individual trades. I appreciate the heads up though!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm ashamed we both forgot the top selling point, it features B'wana Beast!

Oh...my..that is THE reason to get this book. This is a series that features: B'wana Beast, Mirror Master, and Psycho Pirate. I say this with absolutely no sarcasm, as I love all of them.

Also, I would throw large sums of money at a Vertigo B'wana Beast done by Morrison and Burnham with fill-ins by Travel Foreman.

DAAAAAMN.

Just hit Unity in my Grand Valiant Read. Phenomenal stuff there, but at the same time, Archer and Armstrong is flat out the best written comic currently available. So many feels, so many incredible ideas, not a single fluff issue and it's lucky enough to have pretty much the most consistent art of the line.

Eternal Warrior is also fantastic, although Valiant could be a little clearer with their timelines (although they give you enough evidence that you can figure out what goes where).

Also big kudos to Bloodshot/Harbinger's parallel storylines. And that post-Harbinger Wars Harbinger storyline is just 0_0.

#TWISTCENTRAL

Also, duh, Quantum and Woody is aMAHzing.

I wish they'd Kickstart enough money to hire like top tier art teams for all their books and they'd probably be the perfect comic imprint.

Thanks to the folks that gave me feedback on Wolverine & the x-men btw. I thought about waiting for the omnibus, but I'm just not into books that thick. sounds silly but I find them unwieldly to read. I got the secret warriors omnibus, but only because it was cheaper than buying the individual trades. I checked this and the price will be about the same. Sounds like I want the volumes 1 & 2 though. Is the alpha and omega mini recommendable too?

Unai

Very good series, a good buy if you think 700 page comic books are fun or easy to read.

Thanks for the feedvack. I'm going to buy it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

6 issue trades 4 life!! They read better.

Thanks to the folks that gave me feedback on Wolverine & the x-men btw. I thought about waiting for the omnibus, but I'm just not into books that thick. sounds silly but I find them unwieldly to read. I got the secret warriors omnibus, but only because it was cheaper than buying the individual trades. I checked this and the price will be about the same. Sounds like I want the volumes 1 & 2 though. Is the alpha and omega mini recommendable too?

Omnibuses are a sin against the act of reading comics.

That mini was just okay.

Eldren

The omnibus editions. And yeah, I did know that there was only one other one. Pretty lame, but I'm not bothered enough to complete the collection with individual trades. I appreciate the heads up though!

Ah ok, yeah it's pretty disappointing that there aren't more. I've asked Marvel's trade department a few times if they'll ever complete the series in omnibus editions but they've never responded. Fingers crossed a 3rd omnibus appears sometime soon!

Is Joe Madureira currently working on any books?

Yep, Inhuman with Charles Soule, starting in April:
INHUMANS-001-2ba95.jpg
Inhuman-Cover2-fin-efe6e.jpg

Eldren man, you ever use SpeedyHen? The Uncanny X-force omnibus is only £39.80 on there! Also £50 for Annihilation omnibus, for anyone that was looking at pre-ordering that.

I only really just recently kind of decided myself against omnibus sized books. I thinkup to maybe 600 pages in HC is fine, very readable. Beyond that, I think I'll probably opt out unless there's a really good saving to be had, or if there's been a reading roder implemented on something that wasn't too friendly in individual trades.

Eldren

Eldren man, you ever use SpeedyHen? The Uncanny X-force omnibus is only £39.80 on there!

I only really just recently kind of decided myself against omnibus sized books. I thinkup to maybe 600 pages in HC is fine, very readable. Beyond that, I think I'll probably opt out unless there's a really good saving to be had, or if there's been a reading roder implemented on something that wasn't too friendly in individual trades.

I've used them before, never had a problem with them and they do good prices. I actually bought all the individual UXF trades and then about a month after I bought the last one, the omnibus was announced. The same thing happened with Hickman's Fantastic Four, except that's in 2 parts so I wouldn't have been tempted anyway. And especially now with this talk of Infinity's poor paper quality, I may wait on Marvel's omnibus editions for a bit.

The oversized hardcovers seem fine though. I have the first Daredevil OHC and it's really nice quality.

I've used them before, never had a problem with them and they do good prices. I actually bought all the individual UXF trades and then about a month after I bought the last one, the omnibus was announced. The same thing happened with Hickman's Fantastic Four, except that's in 2 parts so I wouldn't have been tempted anyway. And especially now with this talk of Infinity's poor paper quality, I may wait on Marvel's omnibus editions for a bit.

The oversized hardcovers seem fine though. I have the first Daredevil OHC and it's really nice quality.

Damn haha I remember you told me that now. These guys have pretty good prices. Infinity is only £30 on there. Yea, the paper quality on Infinity is a bit disappointing. Mine isn't as horrific as some of those pictures on bleeding cool, but it's not the best ever. It still has the reading order thing going for it though, I'd hate to have an infinity trade and the 2 separate Hickman Avengers trades and be jumping about between them etc. I have no idea how Inifinity read as a 6 issue mini month ot month, but I could barely tell what was the main series and what was the *tie-ins* as I read, it all read as relevant and vital. I could only tell with the artist changes

Think I'm about to drop for Avengers Arena guys, the 3 of them.

Eldren

Damn haha I remember you told me that now. These guys have pretty good prices. Infinity is only £30 on there. Yea, the paper quality on Infinity is a bit disappointing. Mine isn't as horrific as some of those pictures on bleeding cool, but it's not the best ever. It still has the reading order thing going for it though, I'd hate to have an infinity trade and the 2 separate Hickman Avengers trades and be jumping about between them etc. I have no idea how Inifinity read as a 6 issue mini month ot month, but I could barely tell what was the main series and what was the *tie-ins* as I read, it all read as relevant and vital. I could only tell with the artist changes

Think I'm about to drop for Avengers Arena guys, the 3 of them.

I do really want the Infinity book if only for the convenience of the reading order, but I'm putting off buying any Avengers for now in the hopes that it gets reprinted with better paper somewhere down the line. I don't know how likely that is but hopefully it's caused enough of a fuss that Marvel have taken notice.

I have all 3 Avengers Arena trades. I still haven't read them yet but the art is great and most people here seem to love it, so I'd say it's a safe bet.

I have all 3 Avengers Arena trades. I still haven't read them yet but the art is great and most people here seem to love it, so I'd say it's a safe bet.

Of course you haven't. I'm looking forward to checking it out, the new series has Zemo in it right? Is it still his son running around? I enjoyed him in Brubaker's No Escape with Bucky.

Can Marc Silvestri write comics better than Joe Keatinge? http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50991

Die Bitches is all I got out of that.

Owzers

Alpha and Omega was okay but i'd probably skip it and put my money elsewhere.

I hate large omnibus collections because of the sag Xo, but i'll still buy Uncanny X-Force Omnibus.

Filthy Slug

Hey, is there a Young Avengers collection coming out? Like, a trade with Gillen's entire run--I want to get into it but I don't want separate trades.

tim1138

Oh...my..that is THE reason to get this book. This is a series that features: B'wana Beast, Mirror Master, and Psycho Pirate. I say this with absolutely no sarcasm, as I love all of them.

Also, I would throw large sums of money at a Vertigo B'wana Beast by Morrison and Burnham with fill-ins by Travel Foreman.

Why must you taunt me with things that will never happen.

I know it's only two issues in, but man, the new Punisher is really goddamn good.

Human, smiling Frank is such a welcome change over "I MUST EXTERMINATE ALL SCUM" Frank. I mean, I love the old stories, MAX, and so on, but I really like how Edmondson and Gerads have flipped it around. Like Hawkeye and Black Widow, they're digging into more human versions of these characters, and I really, really like that.

Shit, I've never been a huge fan of superheroes, but I like that here... Frank doesn't seem to have an enormous disdain for superheroes. It had gotten rote as of late.

Yea Donnie join us int the Avengers:undercover hype!

And here we go. Got next day on the first two volumes, just regular postage on the third so should have some tomorrow. This is Amazon Prime though, so I guess its down to whether or not Amazon want to troll me by sending it via royal mail or not.

Shit, I've never been a huge fan of superheroes, but I like that here... Frank doesn't seem to have an enormous disdain for superheroes. It had gotten rote as of late.

Really excited for this one. Have you read the activity? Particularly excited that the
howling commandos
are playing a part, want to see how that plays out. I was under the impression a lot of the
PMC version from Hickman's SW run had went to make up the new SHIELD.
so I wonder if this is even the same interpretation.

DAAAAAMN.

Just hit Unity in my Grand Valiant Read. Phenomenal stuff there, but at the same time, Archer and Armstrong is flat out the best written comic currently available. So many feels, so many incredible ideas, not a single fluff issue and it's lucky enough to have pretty much the most consistent art of the line.

Eternal Warrior is also fantastic, although Valiant could be a little clearer with their timelines (although they give you enough evidence that you can figure out what goes where).

Also big kudos to Bloodshot/Harbinger's parallel storylines. And that post-Harbinger Wars Harbinger storyline is just 0_0.

#TWISTCENTRAL

Also, duh, Quantum and Woody is aMAHzing.

I wish they'd Kickstart enough money to hire like top tier art teams for all their books and they'd probably be the perfect comic imprint.

Man, I'm soooo curious about Valiant comics. I recently dove into Quantum and Woody because someone told me it was hilarious and I have not regretted it. It is the funniest book out there. But the other stuff just looks a lot like the sideline Image drek that I was scarred by in the 90s. Yet everyone says it's fantastic! I'm scared to blow up my pull list...

I actually read the first Free issue of Archer and Armstrong on comixology and was not hooked. Should I give it another try? Shit, I should just get the Valiant Start Bundle shouldn't I?

I know it's only two issues in, but man, the new Punisher is really goddamn good.

Human, smiling Frank is such a welcome change over "I MUST EXTERMINATE ALL SCUM" Frank. I mean, I love the old stories, MAX, and so on, but I really like how Edmondson and Gerads have flipped it around. Like Hawkeye and Black Widow, they're digging into more human versions of these characters, and I really, really like that.

I want to read it but does it spoil Rucka's run? because I haven't read that yet and i want to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom