• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Have done, probably should have mentioned that, and thought it was good to begin with but didn't like everything with Xorn much. I've also read some of the Ultimate X-Men and House of M, neither of which I really liked. Thanks though tim!

Check out Messiah Complex, other than some uneven art I thought it was a good read. And since you've read House of M, the premise won't be lost on you.

Messi

I have a lot to read now! IST packaging is amazing.

BhB0m7qIEAEZsSd.jpg

The cat on the power girl cover is killing me. Get here faster amazon order.

Fraction's run on Uncanny -> Second Coming -> Bendis Uncanny X-Men + All-New X-Men will do a lot to catch you up with where the characters are now story-wise.

Wolverine & The X-Men by Jason Aaron and Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender are also great (as long as you skip a few of the bad arcs of WatXM).

I'll give them a read, thanks for the suggestions. Not sure if I like the direction they took with AvX, from what I've heard anyway, but I'll give it a shot.

And thanks tim, Messiah Complex will be added to the list. Anything else while I'm writing these down? I really liked the Uncanny X-Force Apocalypse run, read the first two volumes, if there's anything else like that.

tim1138

I'll give them a read, thanks for the suggestions. Not sure if I like the direction they took with AvX, from what I've heard anyway, but I'll give it a shot.

And thanks tim, Messiah Complex will be added to the list. Anything else while I'm writing these down? I really liked the Uncanny X-Force Apocalypse run, read the first two volumes, if there's anything else like that.

If you have masochistic tendencies, all the big 90s arcs (Fatal Attractions, Bishop's Crossing, the Marriage of Jean Gray and Cyclops, etc) have been recollected in hc

KidDork

I started reading the Birds of Prey. I think I've found my new mediocre book with serviceable art and characters I like.

I picked up the the A Clash of Daggers trade, put it on my shelf and forgot about it until I just read your message.

Hit the comic store on my lunch today. Walked out with the Metal Men issue of Justice League and X-Men. I have to stop coming to this thread.

Owzers

Forever Evil #5: Soooooooooooo this doesn't seem like the fifth issue of an event, but it was enjoyable enough. Apart from getting something spoiled by you sneaky comic people
power ring getting his arm ripped off
, there were still some good moments and i thought Johns did a good job with the Batman/Villains dialog exchanges with Catwoman being the instigator. The ending everyone saw coming, but it's going to be weird if it takes the next natural step with
everyone working together, including the crime syndicate, to fight the "creature" and save Earth.
, but maybe they won't go that route. Overall i give the book a random 7/10 for being decent but nothing too special.

my dcbs shipment arrived quickly this month, maybe since i changed to week 3 for monthly shipping and it's lighter than week 4, so i'm diving in to comic goodness.

Foob

what are the best graphic novels from the last couple of years?

pretty much fell out of comics altogether these last few years...

jaxword

what are the best graphic novels from the last couple of years?

pretty much fell out of comics altogether these last few years...

The Street Fighter comic by Udon is a great, fun read that tries to make the game into a coherent narrative.

tim1138

I actually already own that, but thanks anyway! Have you read his new one? Underwater Welder, I think?

Yep, it's really good. Not as good as Essex County, but I think that's probably his best work to date.

Look into One Soul and Spectral Engine by Ray Fawkes as well.

The Hawkeye formula for success!

Street cred writer with an artist who's just outside the mainstream but very comfortably inside the mainstream as far as contemporary chic design sensibility. Give the main character a chippy inner monologue and a cute pet. Rinse. Repeat. Fix. This. Dog.

Street cred writer with an artist who's just outside the mainstream but very comfortably inside the mainstream as far as contemporary chic design sensibility. Give the main character a chippy inner monologue and a cute pet. Rinse. Repeat. Fix. This. Dog.

It's a great goddamn formula. These three are such great titles. I love them.

Though, the inner monologues for Frank and Natasha aren't... chippy. They all have unique voices, but what's common is that they don't feel like the other Big Two comics I've read.

You could set Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Punisher in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, no problem. I love how disconnected they are, and it focuses on the things happening in these people's lives, and arcs that happen in their lives. It's not about saving the world here. Even when it is, it feels personal.

Is Frank in a Hawkeye shirt? If so that's amazing!

Yes. New Frank is great. In the promo art for the series, he wore Matt Murdock's joke shirt:

This version of Frank is a fairly normal, warm sort of dude, who takes his mission/job very seriously. He sees himself as an individual who takes on the threats that normal cops can't deal with and that superheroes see as beneath them. He's professional, sharp, and absolutely merciless to criminals. Unstoppable. But with normal people, with cops, he's like... a regular guy. It's great. This version of Frank doesn't hate superheroes, but has carved out a place for him in this crazy universe of superheroes and villains. That's why some people fear him far more than the Avengers.

Messi

Dc are clearly trying this with Harley, she has the monologue and the pet (her chipmunk) I don't mind it and I quite like Black Widows pet.

"The superior man thinks of evil that will come and guards against it" - The Book of Changes

Guess what I'm reading?

Batman RIP!

I've been thinking about that arc a lot recently, I had to get the hardcover out recently cause I wasn't sure if I was remembering the crazy parts correctly like Honor Jackson and Zur En Arrh.

And now I want to read it again

tim1138

Batman RIP!

I've been thinking about that arc a lot recently, I had to get the hardcover out recently cause I wasn't sure if I was remembering the crazy parts correctly like Honor Jackson and Zur En Arrh.

And now I want to read it again

And don't forget
Bat Mite
!!

God I love Morrison's Batman.

There is some confusing off the wall parts. I will give people with those criticisms that. But as a whole, this may be the first time I have really seen Batman as a SUPER HERO. You really get to dive into his mind in this book. You get to see how superior it is. You get too see why he gets to stand next to the likes of Superman, Wonder Woman, and the rest.

Tim, now I have some insight to why you don't like Snyders Batman but let me tell you, Zero Year is like a completely different mindset on the character than his other 3 arcs. Compared to Batman RIP, Snyder was writing the Legend of Batman where Morrison was writing Batman. In Zero Year, Snyder had found the key inside Bruce's head and has been writing Batman.

And don't forget
Bat Mite
!!

What's a good place to start with Morrison's Batman? I'm just now realizing that I haven't read anything by Morrison, which honestly surprised me since I've heard so many great things about his work. Might have to dig into his batman run once I'm done with Planetary.

Machine

What's a good place to start with Morrison's Batman? I'm just now realizing that I haven't read anything by Morrison, which honestly surprised me since I've heard so many great things about his work. Might have to dig into his batman run once I'm done with Planetary.

I'm sure others will disagree but I say start with early Morrison. I've always liked his Animal Man, Doom Patrol and JLA more than his later stuff on Batman.

ReiGun

Was this question ever answered?

Depends on what Wonder Womanly things we're talking about. Fighting gods and mystical monsters? She does that all the time. Being an activist or fighting her own supervillains or hanging with the Amazons? Who knows when that'll happen again.
Okay we know when the last one happens again as they're supposed to be coming back soon

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
And don't forget
Bat Mite
!!

That last scene with Bat mite is such a great revelation and moment. Morrison made Bat mite work in a real and awesome Batman story. So impressive.

The cat on the power girl cover is killing me. Get here faster amazon order.

His tail's on the bottom of the spine too, it's a nice little touch.

I enjoyed New Warriors 1. I'm really glad to see Kaine and Aracely again, they're a lot of fun together. Can't wait for the second issue.

Should I cancel my Infinity pre order? That paper quality issue has me worried...

Depends how important it is to you. Mines wasn't as bad as the pics are on bleedingcool, but the pages are thin and do wave out pretty quick. The bigger problem is there's no other option with Infinity right now, especially with the reading order sorted out for you. Where do you have it pre-ordered btw, it's out?

If you have masochistic tendencies, all the big 90s arcs (Fatal Attractions, Bishop's Crossing, the Marriage of Jean Gray and Cyclops, etc) have been recollected in hc

I'm making my way through 'From theInferno' at the moment, then 'Inferno after that, so I think I might quite enjoy that. Assuming I can find them reasonably cheap anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom