• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

I started reading the Birds of Prey. I think I've found my new mediocre book with serviceable art and characters I like.

Winter-Soldier-Original-Sin-Teaser-Variant-8c688.jpg
Black-Widow-Original-Sin-Teaser-Variant-59490.jpg

omfg. I actually wondered if Black Widow might have a tie-in regarding the secret forgetting of Bucky, but figured MArvel could care less, and Bucky doesn't exactly have a stalwart right now. Not that this indicates that, but still. Can't wait to see Aaron write Bucky. I imagine there is just a shit ton of secrets these two characters do not want to know haha.

I think the only thread that carries over is that he's in LA now instead of New York. It hasn't spoiled any details from the run yet.

LA isn't even set up in Rucka's run haha, it's a clean break. At the end of Rucka's run
he's in a water prison haha never mind LA.
There's potential it could bring in a major character from Rucka's run though, if Edmondson wanted to, there's an easy in to that regarding the setting.

What's it about. I know nothing about it. That black widow image is cool.

Okay. Jason Aaron. Doing a cosmic murder mystery , in the vein of his acclaimed Thor thing but BIGGER. Watcher is killed, Nick Fury is called out of the shadows to put together a team and hunt down the killer and prevent the watcher's secrets being blown wide open. Aaron is looknig at bringing in a lot of the kinds of characters we don't normally ge tin this kind of thing. Moon Knight (new interpretation i guess), Punisher, Bucky, alongside people like Cap, Thor etc. He's never wrote Nick before, so imo it's going to be interesting how he plays with Marvel espionage characters, into the cosmic stuff, the superhero stuff and so on. But basically Jason Aaron doing what he did on Thor but as a big summer event with many characters. Nick Fury cosmic PI. Have you read his Thor stuff?

Messi

Okay. Jason Aaron. Doing a cosmic murder mystery , in the vein of his acclaimed Thor thing but BIGGER. Watcher is killed, Nick Fury is called out of the shadows to put together a team and hunt down the killer and prevent the watcher's secrets being blown wide open. Aaron is looknig at bringing in a lot of the kinds of characters we don't normally ge tin this kind of thing. Moon Knight (new interpretation i guess), Punisher, Bucky, alongside people like Cap, Thor etc. He's never wrote Nick before, so imo it's going to be interesting how he plays with Marvel espionage characters, into the cosmic stuff, the superhero stuff and so on. But basically Jason Aaron doing what he did on Thor but as a big summer event with many characters. Nick Fury cosmic PI. Have you read his Thor stuff?

I've read Thor and love it but I've no idea who the watcher is :/

jordisok

hello comics-gaf! I'm currently reading through Gotham Central a vol at a time currently on 3 (yeah super late to this) and absolutely loving them :)

anyways how has New52 Nightwing been for anyone who has read it? Was looking at picking up the trades

I've read Thor and love it but I've no idea who the watcher is :/

Oh right, haha. He's like the bald guy from Fringe, he's like the chronicler of earth. Every time something important happens on Earth, he's there, watching and knowing. If you took a picture when JFK was assassinated, he was in the crowd and so on. He's the secret keeper. Ironically (OR IS IT) you would probably always find Nick Fury standing in the same crowds at the opposite side holding a gun.

He's a little bald baby-man who watches the universe's events unfold but isn't suppose to interfere.

I think I preferred this explanation.

anyways how has New52 Nightwing been for anyone who has read it? Was looking at picking up the trades

Have you been reading anything else Batman new 52? I'd put down Nightwing as one only for the major enthusiasts of the character as imo, the run has been extremely uneventful and fragmented, very much without direction. There are much better books to read before you get to this one. At the same time, it's hard to call it actively terrible, and if you're a big Grayson fan, well, it has him in it. I'd recommend like 3 or 4 other bat books from the new 52 over it to read first though.

jordisok

Have you been reading anything else Batman new 52? I'd put down Nightwing as one only for the major enthusiasts of the character as imo, the run has been extremely uneventful and fragmented, very much without direction. There are much better books to read before you get to this one. At the same time, it's hard to call it actively terrible, and if you're a big Grayson fan, well, it has him in it. I'd recommend like 3 or 4 other bat books from the new 52 over it to read first though.

Thanks, well I do like Grayson but honestly the comics bug for me has only hit properly quite recently so I'm open to suggestions, what are the other books? :)

Thanks, well I do like Grayson but honestly the comics bug for me has only hit properly quite recently so I'm open to suggestions, what are the other books? :)

Batman, Batman & Robin, Batman Inc (only two volumes and complete at this point) and Batwoman have all been fantastic bat books since the new 52 began. None of them really follow the tone of Gotham Central though, if that's what you're after. Beyond those, I'd probably still recommend Talon over Nightwing ha. In the broader spectrum, Batman, Batwoman & Wonder Woman have been my favourite new 52 books (anticipating Green Arrow by Lemire greatly though).

Worth noting that if you're just looking for comic suggestions in general, I'd probably produce a completely different list haha, I'm just running with what started us on this tangent :)

hello comics-gaf! I'm currently reading through Gotham Central a vol at a time currently on 3 (yeah super late to this) and absolutely loving them :)

Nightwing is okay. First arc was decent but then tied into the first arc of Batman, so it probably would make more sense if you read both. Second arc is tie-in stuff, third arc wasn't good, and the i stopped reading.

as for other New 52 books, the aforementioned Batman is very solid.

ghostmind

What I want to know is why the MU gets all upset when the Watcher gets killed, and yet the freaking Living Tribunal is dead (or is it?) and everyone seems to have forgotten it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What I want to know is why the MU gets all upset when the Watcher gets killed, and yet the freaking Living Tribunal is dead (or is it?) and everyone seems to have forgotten it.

Tony and Reed never told anyone about the Living Tribunal being dead.

Kikarian

I thought when the Watcher appeared in GotG, it was the better part of the comic. Prior to that it was just rehashing the same thing over and over.

jordisok

Batman, Batman & Robin, Batman Inc (only two volumes and complete at this point) and Batwoman have all been fantastic bat books since the new 52 began. None of them really follow the tone of Gotham Central though, if that's what you're after. Beyond those, I'd probably still recommend Talon over Nightwing ha. In the broader spectrum, Batman, Batwoman & Wonder Woman have been my favourite new 52 books (anticipating Green Arrow by Lemire greatly though).

Worth noting that if you're just looking for comic suggestions in general, I'd probably produce a completely different list haha, I'm just running with what started us on this tangent :)

Nightwing is okay. First arc was decent but then tied into the first arc of Batman, so it probably would make more sense if you read both. Second arc is tie-in stuff, third arc wasn't good, and the i stopped reading.

as for other New 52 books, the aforementioned Batman is very solid.

No no this tangent is fine lol :) and I know Central is a bit unique. anyways I do keep an eye on these threads to see what everyones reading (probably shouldn't admit to that stalking though)

Ok thanks for the answers/suggestions! Bats seems the consensus so I'll have a look at some of those and see what takes me

He was always suppose to be french, but I think he says more MON CHERIES and FRENCH PEOPLE ADD THE Z AT THE EVERYTHINGZ, NOI than the entirety of the Morrison's run combined.

IST packaging is amazing.

It is, isn't it? I've ordered from them *gulp* 172 times since November of 2008. And I don't think I've ever had an issue with them. Two or three times the post office accidentally misrouted a package to the wrong side of the country, but I can't blame IST for that. Once, I ordered 2 copies of a book by accident, and they emailed me immediately and asked if it was correct. The book in question was Ultimatum, so they must have known no one could possibly want two copies of that. XD

tim1138

Anyone know of a site that still has new copies of the first Kamandi omnibus for sale? I have it all in digital but want to complete my Jack Kirby shelf and it's the hardest to find.

Hi all, don't really know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm looking for some x-men recommendations. I've read a fair bit of Claremont's stuff, Dark Phoenix and the like, and I loved Whedons run, but I haven't read anything at all since then really. Would just going through the trades until I catch up with the current run be best? Anything not worth reading? Anything essential? Any help would be much appreciated, really got an X-men itch I want to scratch.

tim1138

Hi all, don't really know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm looking for some x-men recommendations. I've read a fair bit of Claremont's stuff, Dark Phoenix and the like, and I loved Whedons run, but I haven't read anything at all since then really. Would just going through the trades until I catch up with the current run be best? Anything not worth reading? Anything essential? Any help would be much appreciated, really got an X-men itch I want to scratch.

Check out Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men.

Check out Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men.

Have done, probably should have mentioned that, and thought it was good to begin with but didn't like everything with Xorn much. I've also read some of the Ultimate X-Men and House of M, neither of which I really liked. Thanks though tim!

Would just going through the trades until I catch up with the current run be best? Anything not worth reading? Anything essential? Any help would be much appreciated, really got an X-men itch I want to scratch.

Fraction's run on Uncanny -> Second Coming -> Bendis Uncanny X-Men + All-New X-Men will do a lot to catch you up with where the characters are now story-wise.

Wolverine & The X-Men by Jason Aaron and Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender are also great (as long as you skip a few of the bad arcs of WatXM).

But Morrison's New X-Men run is definitely worth reading as well (though a bit of it ended up being retconned).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom