• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was this question ever answered?
I think I posted that like two years ago. It has never been answered. Hopefully the new team answers this. Or if DC srill wants to go in ghis Greek god heavy, give me a call, I got an outline how to balance both worlds.
The Hawkeye formula for success!

Street cred writer with an artist who's just outside the mainstream but very comfortably inside the mainstream as far as contemporary chic design sensibility. Give the main character a chippy inner monologue and a cute pet. Rinse. Repeat. Fix. This. Dog.
Just another reason why we are going to look back on this as the equivalent to the 90's Liefeld extreme era. I fear for when they give Dr. strange his own ongoing....

Hi ComicsGAF! I've been out of the loop for a good few years now, so I have a few questions which may sound dumb. Be gentle.

Question 1: I keep hearing about the Hawkeye series, and given that I looooooooved the woefully short Fraction/Aja run on Immortal Iron Fist, I figured I should give it a shot. Is there anything I need to know about the greater Marvel U so that it makes sense? I don't really want to catch up on years worth of "massive summer event/tie-ins", but I don't want to be lost either.

Question 2: I haven't read Captain America since Reborn, so if I want to get back into the swing of things, is it worth reading the past 5 years worth of issues? Have they been good? Is Brubaker still writing it? Were there spin-offs for Bucky etc.? What if I want to get in on this Original Sin business - those Winter Soldier / Black Widow preview covers caught my eye - will I be hopelessly lost, or what?

This version of Frank is a fairly normal, warm sort of dude, who takes his mission/job very seriously. He sees himself as an individual who takes on the threats that normal cops can't deal with and that superheroes see as beneath them. He's professional, sharp, and absolutely merciless to criminals. Unstoppable. But with normal people, with cops, he's like... a regular guy. It's great. This version of Frank doesn't hate superheroes, but has carved out a place for him in this crazy universe of superheroes and villains. That's why some people fear him far more than the Avengers.
I'm reading the Punisher MAX run for the first time right now. I'm about half way through, and quite frankly (pun!), it's exhausting. I'm loving it, but it's so draining as that's the only title I'm reading right now so there are no breaks for something lighter. I'm taking a break for a little bit, and going to come back to it. Anyway, my point is, this new Frank sounds awesome and I'll have to check it out.

Messi

Hi ComicsGAF! I've been out of the loop for a good few years now, so I have a few questions which may sound dumb. Be gentle.

Question 1: I keep hearing about the Hawkeye series, and given that I looooooooved the woefully short Fraction/Aja run on Immortal Iron Fist, I figured I should give it a shot. Is there anything I need to know about the greater Marvel U so that it makes sense? I don't really want to catch up on years worth of "massive summer event/tie-ins", but I don't want to be lost either.

Question 2: I haven't read Captain America since Reborn, so if I want to get back into the swing of things, is it worth reading the past 5 years worth of issues? Have they been good? Is Brubaker still writing it? Were there spin-offs for Bucky etc.? What if I want to get in on this Original Sin business - those Winter Soldier / Black Widow preview covers caught my eye - will I be hopelessly lost, or what?

I'm reading the Punisher MAX run for the first time right now. I'm about half way through, and quite frankly (pun!), it's exhausting. I'm loving it, but it's so draining as that's the only title I'm reading right now so there are no breaks for something lighter. I'm taking a break for a little bit, and going to come back to it. Anyway, my point is, this new Frank sounds awesome and I'll have to check it out.

Just start at Hawkguy #1. There has been no tie ins and it's essentially a solo book.

tim1138

There is some confusing off the wall parts. I will give people with those criticisms that. But as a whole, this may be the first time I have really seen Batman as a SUPER HERO. You really get to dive into his mind in this book. You get to see how superior it is. You get too see why he gets to stand next to the likes of Superman, Wonder Woman, and the rest.

Tim, now I have some insight to why you don't like Snyders Batman but let me tell you, Zero Year is like a completely different mindset on the character than his other 3 arcs. Compared to Batman RIP, Snyder was writing the Legend of Batman where Morrison was writing Batman. In Zero Year, Snyder had found the key inside Bruce's head and has been writing Batman.

One of us, one of us!
Now you can move onto Batman and Robin and enjoy the best take on the dynamic duo ever.

dusty said:
What's a good place to start with Morrison's Batman? I'm just now realizing that I haven't read anything by Morrison, which honestly surprised me since I've heard so many great things about his work. Might have to dig into his batman run once I'm done with Planetary.

At the beginning of course!
Batman and Son
Batman the Black Glove
Batman RIP
Batman and Robin vol 1 - Batman Reborn
Batman and Robin vol 2 - Batman vs Robin
Return of Bruce Waye
Batman and Robn vol 3 - Batman and Robin Must Die
Time and the Batman
Batman Incorporated vol 1
Batman Incorporated vol 1 - The Demon Star
Batman Incorporated vol 2 - Gotham's Most Wanted

Most of what Bru did after Reborn was fantastic. It's pretty straight forward. After where you left off, he did Two America, No Escape, The Trial of Captain America and Prisoner of War. These pretty much centre on Bucky. During this, he writes Steve more in his secret avengers series. After those two ended he wrote two books. Winter Soldier, and a new series of Cap. Winter Soldier volumes 1-4 are great, His new Cap volumes 1-4 were eh. I prefer to ignore it and just follow on his writing about Bucky. This is basically Bucky's entire story since you left off. Natasha is in all of the Cap.Winter Soldier stuff with Bucky, and recently got her own book. There's a series that ran alongside Cap and Winter Soldier too, called Captain America and _________. Bru helped plot the first two stories but this is really a series written by others. The first two stories were great, the rest fine. Some great art during its run. If any of that is unclear and you need more volume names or issue numbers, let me know.

You don't really need to have read any of this to read Original Sin though. Looks brilliant though and will have Steve, Nick and Bucky all in various capacities though, which will be cool, look forward to seeing Jason Aaron write them.

Rick Remender writes Cap now in a marvel now new series. It's quite different.

EDIT: I have no idea how clear any of that was haha. Basically after you left:

Captain America:
Two Americas
No escape
The trial of captain america
Prisoner of War
- all about Bucky
&

Secret Avengers by Bru Volume 1 & 2
- What steve is up to, although he simultaneously plays support in Cap.

THEN

Captain America Volumes 1-4 - by Bru, about Steve
Winter Soldier 1-4 - By Bru, last story by Jason Latour, about Bucky.
Captain America & _____________ - by various.

Most recent:

Marvel Now - Captain America now written by Remender. 2 Volumes out in trade.
Series about Back Widow just started by Nathan Edmondson, if you're a big fan of her from Bru's Cap stuff.

Imo the Captain America stuff up to Prisoner of War, then the Bucky series is the top top tier stuff here.

I have a lot to read now! IST packaging is amazing.

BhB0m7qIEAEZsSd.jpg

Oh man, Power Girl got a great cover. I may have to pick it up just for that alone.

phoenixyz

Does anyone still read Black Science? I read the first issue and then I got banned and forgot about it without Gaf posters hyping it. Is it good?
Personally I don't really like it. The premise is really cool and coloring is beautiful, but I don't dig the story and characters or the art itself.

Just start at Hawkguy #1. There has been no tie ins and it's essentially a solo book.
Ah, exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks!

WOW, thanks for the amazingly in-depth reply! While I can figure out the most of the reading order myself, it's great to get an opinion on whether the quality held up during my absence. Sounds like it mostly did, which is great. My head is swimming slightly from all those different books, but I'm sure that between your post and a little research on wikipedia and combookdb.com, I'll be able to figure it out! :)

I've got the Cap v5 #1-25 Omnibus, and then v5 #26 up to v1 #600-something (I think I may have read Two Amercas, not sure) in singles, along with Reborn etc. I'm seriously thinking of re-reading it all from beginning - it's such a great run, and I enjoyed it all until I had to mercilessly cut my pull list all those years ago (had a baby, budgets were slashed!).

So you mention the new Remender-written Cap is very different. How so? I see the first arc is called "Castaway in Dimension Z", which sounds a little... cosmic.

Sounds like Original Sin might be an easy way to dip my toe back into the greater Marvel U. Can't wait!

WOW, thanks for the amazingly in-depth reply! While I can figure out the most of the reading order myself, it's great to get an opinion on whether the quality held up during my absence. Sounds like it mostly did, which is great. My head is swimming slightly from all those different books, but I'm sure that between your post and a little research on wikipedia and combookdb.com, I'll be able to figure it out! :)

I've got the Cap v5 #1-25 Omnibus, and then v5 #26 up to v1 #600-something (I think I may have read Two Amercas, not sure) in singles, along with Reborn etc. I'm seriously thinking of re-reading it all from beginning - it's such a great run, and I enjoyed it all until I had to mercilessly cut my pull list all those years ago (had a baby, budgets were slashed!).

So you mention the new Remender-written Cap is very different. How so? I see the first arc is called "Castaway in Dimension Z", which sounds a little... cosmic.

Sounds like Original Sin might be an easy way to dip my toe back into the greater Marvel U. Can't wait!

Haha yea, sorry if it was info overload. Brubaker is a real favourite for me, so it's always fun when someone brings his stuff up. Especially that run, it got me back into comics so I hold it near and dear.

So when I say different - as always, with dif writers, you have different sensibilities. Even beyond that though, Remender was really trying to break away from the noir/espionage angle that Bru did so well, and went for something more Jack Kirby and comic booky. I honestly don't know what I make of it yet. I read some of the beginning issues and I've debated going back and trying more a few times. It's very different. That said, from recent interviews, it sounds like Remender is consciously moving the book closer to what it was under Bru, while still being his. He spoke about bringing Bucky into the book too and perhaps even writing a major story with him in it after he finishes up the tale he's telling right now (he conceived a 25-30 issue storyline when he came on, he's around issue 18 now). He's actually doing a winter soldier mini right now to complement his Cap story but it's really a shield story set in the 60s with Bucky as the shadow antagonist and more of a plot device than character, as it's when he was under soviet control as the winter soldier.

Yea, Original Sin is Jason Aaron's big crack at a marvel event and the character of Nick, who's going to be his lead here, so it's exciting, and stands very alone. Aaron is a great writer and it'll likely be similar in tone to his big Thor epic, God Butcher & God Bomb, so you could always check that out, but plot wise there's no connection.

While you were out of comics, you might have missed it - Jonathan Hickman wrote a fantastic 28 issue series about Nick Fury called Secret Warriors. IT sounds like you have similar interests to me. If you liked Nick in Bru's cap, it might be worth checking if you get finished catching up on Cap and you're looking for more haha. It stands quite alone and it's a great enclosed run.

Btw, I don't know if you'd be looking to read physically or digitally, but digitally ALL that Bru stuff I mentioned is on Marvel's unlimited digital sub thing.

Messi

Haha yea, sorry if it was info overload. Brubaker is a real favourite for me, so it's always fun when someone brings his stuff up. Especially that run, it got me back into comics so I hold it near and dear.

So when I say different - as always, with dif writers, you have different sensibilities. Even beyond that though, Remender was really trying to break away from the noir/espionage angle that Bru did so well, and went for something more Jack Kirby and comic booky. I honestly don't know what I make of it yet. I read some of the beginning issues and I've debated going back and trying more a few times. It's very different. That said, from recent interviews, it sounds like Remender is consciously moving the book closer to what it was under Bru, while still being his. He spoke about bringing Bucky into the book too and perhaps even writing a major story with him in it after he finishes up the tale he's telling right now (he conceived a 25-30 issue storyline when he came on, he's around issue 18 now).

Yea, Original Sin is Jason Aaron's big wack at a marvel event and the characters of Nick, who's going to be his lead here, so it's exciting, and stands very alone. Aaron is a great writer and it'll likely be similar in tone to his big Thor epic, God Butcher & God Bomb, so you could always check that out, but plot wise there's no connection.

While you were out of comics, you might have missed it - Jonathan Hickman wrote a fantastic 32 issue series about Nick Fury called Secret Warriors. IT sounds like you have similar interests to me. If you liked Nick in Bru's cap, it might be worth checking if you get finished catching up on Cap and you're looking for more haha. It stands quite alone and it's a great enclosed run.

God Butcher and GodBomb were fantastic.

Man the instant I start to like an indie title all you guys turn on it. Tell me what you do like so I can start reading it and use my powers to turn it to shit.

Fuck you it's Sliders v2.0 ;)

Oh yea, btw guys, I read Avengers Arena #1 this afternoon. Man, Hopeless knows how to open and round out an issue. Great cold open, interesting he chose to show two people that will definitely survive til Day 28. kind of wondering why he would do that. I suppose one of them was obvious given their power set but the other, yea, I assume there was a reason. Perhaps he wanted to straight away give the reader a character they could attach themselves to and invest in. You might worry about your other favourites but this one, you can invest in and know they'll be around to a point. Otherwise it seems odd to take away form the stakes like that.

Also, I have no idea who most of these characters are. I haven't read Avengers Academy, Wolverine and the x-men etc. so I don't know how many have been made up for the book or are real existing characters. This is good because bar
X-23
, no-one is an obvious *safe* character that I'm looking at and thinking "oh yea, they'll survive for sure".

The general body of the first issue was good, obviously a lot devoted to the premise and making Arcade seem formidable. I already have suspicions they are
not really on an island - maybe VR? Partly because the doubter in me thinks Marvel would want an out to killing so many characters haha, but also because Arcade mentions the concept of everything definitely being a *game* so many times - perhaps a clue?
I could be totally wrong though. Hard to tell if Hopeless is characterising these people close to how they have been portrayed elsewhere as I mentioned, I haven't read many of marvel's other teen books, but I'm definitely interested, his dialogue seems fine.

Walker's art is great too. The bit where
X-23's face is has been burned off at the beginning
is pretty grisly haha I think he'll do the deaths justice in this.

Just read the one issue, but wanted to sound off.

One of us, one of us!
Now you can move onto Batman and Robin and enjoy the best take on the dynamic duo ever.

At the beginning of course!
Batman and Son
Batman the Black Glove
Batman RIP
Batman and Robin vol 1 - Batman Reborn
Batman and Robin vol 2 - Batman vs Robin
Return of Bruce Waye
Batman and Robn vol 3 - Batman and Robin Must Die
Time and the Batman
Batman Incorporated vol 1
Batman Incorporated vol 1 - The Demon Star
Batman Incorporated vol 2 - Gotham's Most Wanted

After I read it, I ordered all 3 Batman and Robins, first Batman inc, and Unwritten vol 5 and Rachel Rising vol 2 for my wife for $55 from IST. You cannot beat that.

So when I say different - as always, with dif writers, you have different sensibilities. Even beyond that though, Remender was really trying to break away from the noir/espionage angle that Bru did so well, and went for something more Jack Kirby and comic booky. I honestly don't know what I make of it yet. I read some of the beginning issues and I've debated going back and trying more a few times. It's very different. That said, from recent interviews, it sounds like Remender is consciously moving the book closer to what it was under Bru, while still being his. He spoke about bringing Bucky into the book too and perhaps even writing a major story with him in it after he finishes up the tale he's telling right now (he conceived a 25-30 issue storyline when he came on, he's around issue 18 now). He's actually doing a winter soldier mini right now to complement his Cap story but it's really a shield story set in the 60s with Bucky as the shadow antagonist and more of a plot device than character, as it's when he was under soviet control as the winter soldier.

Yea, Original Sin is Jason Aaron's big crack at a marvel event and the character of Nick, who's going to be his lead here, so it's exciting, and stands very alone. Aaron is a great writer and it'll likely be similar in tone to his big Thor epic, God Butcher & God Bomb, so you could always check that out, but plot wise there's no connection.

While you were out of comics, you might have missed it - Jonathan Hickman wrote a fantastic 28 issue series about Nick Fury called Secret Warriors. IT sounds like you have similar interests to me. If you liked Nick in Bru's cap, it might be worth checking if you get finished catching up on Cap and you're looking for more haha. It stands quite alone and it's a great enclosed run.

Btw, I don't know if you'd be looking to read physically or digitally, but digitally ALL that Bru stuff I mentioned is on Marvel's unlimited digital sub thing.

Yeah, Brubaker has done some great stuff alright. What finally got me to get off my arse and start looking at comics again was listening to the Daredevil episode of the "How Did This Get Made?" podcast, which Bru was on. He mentioned a new title he had out called Velvet which he described as (paraphrasing) "What if Miss Moneypenny was framed for the death of James Bond?", and I heard that and thought "FAAAAAAARK, I need to read some comics!" lol

Thanks for the tips on the Thor epic, and Secret Warriors, they definitely sound up my alley. What spins me out a little bit is the idea of Aaron and Hickman writing major Marvel titles. Last time I was paying attention, Aaron was writing Scalped and Hickman had done The Nightly News and Pax Romana (and about to start Fantastic Four, I think), so major summer superhero events were not what I was expecting next! It's kind of like when I was reading Casanova, and next thing I know Fraction is writing Iron Man and Uncanny X-Men, and I was thinking "What the fuck is happening?!".

I guess I'll just check out the Remender Cap stuff when I get up to it. Who knows, I might be all espionaged-out by then, and welcome a fresh take on the character.

For $69 for the year, the Marvel Unlimited sub sounds like a great way to catch up. I'll check it out, thanks.

I really like the soldier/bodyguard character so far. There hasn't been much character development yet but the series is still new.
Yep it is still new. Remender has to juggle the future, these displaced worls, what anarchist science is and these characters. That's a lot in three isuues. Remender is a long term planner. I have faith. He won't disregard characters like Hickman. I think we will grow to love ghese anarchist scientists...

Oh yea, btw guys, I read Avengers Arena #1 this afternoon. Man, Hopeless knows how to open and round out an issue. Great cold open, interesting he chose to show two people that will definitely survive til Day 28. kind of wondering why he would do that. I suppose one of them was obvious given their power set but the other, yea, I assume there was a reason. Perhaps he wanted to straight away give the reader a character they could attach themselves to and invest in. You might worry about your other favourites but this one, you can invest in and know they'll be around to a point. Otherwise it seems odd to take away form the stakes like that.

Also, I have no idea who most of these characters are. I haven't read Avengers Academy, Wolverine and the x-men etc. so I don't know how many have been made up for the book or are real existing characters. This is good because bar
X-23
, no-one is an obvious *safe* character that I'm looking at and thinking "oh yea, they'll survive for sure".

The general body of the first issue was good, obviously a lot devoted to the premise and making Arcade seem formidable. I already have suspicions they are
not really on an island - maybe VR? Partly because the doubter in me thinks Marvel would want an out to killing so many characters haha, but also because Arcade mentions the concept of everything definitely being a *game* so many times - perhaps a clue?
I could be totally wrong though. Hard to tell if Hopeless is characterising these people close to how they have been portrayed elsewhere as I mentioned, I haven't read many of marvel's other teen books, but I'm definitely interested, his dialogue seems fine.

Walker's art is great too. The bit where
X-23's face is has been burned off at the beginning
is pretty grisly haha I think he'll do the deaths justice in this.

Just read the one issue, but wanted to sound off.

To answer your question about the roster:

Hazmat, Mettle, Reptil, Juston and X-23 were all in Avengers Academy during that series (the first three were in the first class, the other two joined after the move to the West Coast Avengers base after Fear Itself).
Anachronism/AxBro, Nara, Apex, Cullen Bloodstone and Kid Briton are new characters and based in Braddock Academy, the UK equivalent to Avengers Academy.
Nico and Chase are from Runaways.
Red Raven was listed as an unregistered superhero during Civil War, and may have appeared in Avengers: The Initiative.
Darkhawk and Cammi appeared in Marvel's cosmic sagas.
Death Locket is well, a Deathlok-powered teenage girl.

The schools introduced in that Infinity min were pretty schway. Latveria school, Atlantis school, PanPacific School. Too bad Matt Kindt is another brah that can't write teens.

arkon

Man the instant I start to like an indie title all you guys turn on it. Tell me what you do like so I can start reading it and use my powers to turn it to shit.

Fuck you it's Sliders v2.0 ;)

I'm enjoying it. Feels like it's in a similar vein to Fear Agent, which is pretty much what I was hoping for.

To answer your question about the roster:

Hazmat, Mettle, Reptil, Juston and X-23 were all in Avengers Academy during that series (the first three were in the first class, the other two joined after the move to the West Coast Avengers base after Fear Itself).
Anachronism/AxBro, Nara, Apex, Cullen Bloodstone and Kid Briton are new characters and based in Braddock Academy, the UK equivalent to Avengers Academy.
Nico and Chase are from Runaways.
Red Raven was listed as an unregistered superhero during Civil War, and may have appeared in Avengers: The Initiative.
Darkhawk and Cammi appeared in Marvel's cosmic sagas.
Death Locket is well, a Deathlok-powered teenage girl.

Yea, thanks for that man! Actually, as I read on, I realised I recognised more people than I thought I did! I remember the Sentinel kid, read a book about him years ago by Sean McKeever. Cammi, I remember her now from Annihilation, and the Runawya kids, I recognise them.

I ended up sitting and reading through that whole first trade this afternoon haha, really compelling stuff. I like the Braddock Academy characters a lot, Hopeless has done a really good job with that little group and creating some inter-personal drama form before and carrying it over to the island. Dude has a real nice handle on character drama and relaptionships. Imo it's much harder to come across good teenage fiction since most teenagers just don't have that much life experience. The fact everyone is a superhero makes it a little easier, but the writer really needs to have a good handle on teenagers and what makes them tick over just writing the same as they would adults, or it just comes across weird.

Really good fun book though. Great art, and loved the Vitti issue as well.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Funny you should bring up Secret Warriors, donie. I was reading Fraction's Iron Man this morning and thinking to myself that I should pick up that Secret Warriors omnibus for the $25ish on eBay that it was priced at for the past few months (Iron Man's tone was kind of reminding me of what I expected Secret Warriors would be like, and I didn't know if I wanted to read something like that, but Iron Man made me think I actually did). So anyways, I go on eBay and find out that all the cheap Secret Warrior omnibuses have sold out and it's at $50 now. :|
Makes me think I should probably pick up the cheap Remender Punisher omnibus sooner rather than later.

Owzers

Is Forever Evil entirely about Johns trying to sell Luthor as a complicated anti-hero? Especially since we know Luthor is going to be in the front of the Justice League soon.

Is Forever Evil entirely about Johns trying to sell Luthor as a complicated anti-hero? Especially since we know Luthor is going to be in the front of the Justice League soon.
Don't be surprised if that's what Justice League becomes about. Probably at Batman's expense as well since Johns doesn't like him.

Also, Daredevil gave me the warm and fuzzies this week. An ending that's not so much an ending but the promise of a new beginning.

Owzers

They probably want to keep people from dropping Justice League after the Forever Evil ark.

it might have the opposite effect on me, i don't know how many Luthor narration stories i can take, and it's going to be weird if Batman just takes the back seat to Luthor while constantly griping like in issue #5. I

Vyer

I don't get that from it at all. There's no question Luthor is a 'villain', just very cold and calculating and positioning himself at an opportune time. But on the other hand I'm glad it's not just a mustache twirling bad guy, as his motivations have always been a little more complicated than that.

Rachel Rising continues to blow me away. I'm grateful for Jet, though.
Dead or alive or somewhere inbetween
, she offers wonderful comedic relief to an otherwise tense, dark read. All of the character work is on point, too, IMO. That bit with Earl and Jet
in the morgue
in issue 7 was beautiful.

Wow, that's looks pretty big. Guess not. Thanks for the input.

ArtFX+ Ffigures are usually around 7" tall or so. I imagine that's how tall this one will be. They used Groot as a base presumably because Rocket would be too small to sell by himself, and they wouldn't be able to charge full price in that case. The 1/6 figures are usually closer to 12".

How much should the infinite crisis Pijama Harley Quinn cost me?

She lists for $39.95, I believe. Action figures are generally cheaper than the scaled, non-poseable pvc types. It seems she is a statue after all. Thought she was an action figure.... but the price is accurate.

That's only an ArtFX+ statue. It'll run you $50 at most. If you want to see real wallet-crippling expenditures, head over to FigureGAF. Rafa even pops in there sometimes. He likes the One Piece.
I like the One Piece, Prince of Tennis, Magi The Basketball Which Kuroko Plays, Attack on Titan. That's my Japanese figure collection thus far. One Piece will destroy amateur collectors though....

Also caught up on Henry and Glenn Forever and Ever. It's in it's second volume, with Tom Neely editing and contributing. Issue #4 drops Wednesday.

It's basically this collective anthology of stories about the imaginary love relationship between Henry Rollins and Glenn Danzig. And their devil-worshipping neighbours Hall and Oates. It's really funny and kind of sweet. It's, like, slice of life stuff. Mostly about the home life of these guys riffing off their real life careers and interests. Tom Neely has been doing this story about Glenn's mom and he draws her to look exactly like Miss Grundy from Archie. That's the typical funny weirdness of this book. I enjoy how varied the art can be from story to story, but how the relationship between the men is genuinely tender. Just a really cool, fun read.

Do they post comic book figures in FigureGAF? I went back a few pages and only saw anime stuff.

Nvm, I see it now. Maybe I should go home and take pics of my stuff with the DSLR and post them in there.

tim1138

Also caught up on Henry and Glenn Forever and Ever. It's in it's second volume, with Tom Neely editing and contributing. Issue #4 drops Wednesday.

It's basically this collective anthology of stories about the imaginary love relationship between Henry Rollins and Glenn Danzig. And their devil-worshipping neighbours Hall and Oates. It's really funny and kind of sweet. It's, like, slice of life stuff. Mostly about the home life of these guys riffing off their real life careers and interests. Tom Neely has been doing this story about Glenn's mom and he draws her to look exactly like Miss Grundy from Archie. That's the typical funny weirdness of this book. I enjoy how varied the art can be from story to story, but how the relationship between the men is genuinely tender. Just a really cool, fun read.

How have I never heard of this, it sounds amazing.

Just finished Planetary. God damn, that book was great. I'm going to have to sit with it for a while, and probably revisit it in a couple months, but that might be my all-time favorite. Just perfect. I loved Elijah Snow. My first thoughts when reading it were that it'd make a pretty cool x-files type show, but it obviously gets so much bigger to where you couldn't do the book any justice that way. Still, very cool characters and an awesome world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom