• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Don't think so. It's a weekly, $2.99 Batman book ala Amazing Spidey a few years back. If the preview in Batman #28 is anything to go by, I think I'll like it.

It will be very interesting to see, how they will publish the tradepaperbacks for this weekly book. I hope it will not be so awful like with the ordinary DC books. Three years of All New 52 and all we got are two Batman Paperbacks. The guys at DC must be really stupid, but hey, of they dont want my money, then I go and buy Marvel Trades. There I have only to wait about three months until you get your new trade...

It will be very interesting to see, how they will publish the tradepaperbacks for this weekly book. I hope it will not be so awful like with the ordinary DC books. Three years of All New 52 and all we got are two Batman Paperbacks. The guys at DC must be really stupid, but hey, of they dont want my money, then I go and buy Marvel Trades. There I have only to wait about three months until you get your new trade...

I'd happily put down money that we won't see a trade before the series is done man, no joke. Green Arrow, where you at. It's been a year since Lemire took over and no trade yet.

Messi

I really dislike how Marvel trades feel. Everyone should copy Image. In quality and release timing.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I really dislike how Marvel trades feel. Everyone should copy Image. In quality and release timing.

It isnt about the quality of the paper, in this point DC not really differs from Marvel, its about the timespan. I only read paperbacks, because it would be expensive as hell to buy single comic books ins english here in germany, so I always have to wait for year to get the next Batman comic. Hell, they release not even Death of the Family as a softcover trade yet, we still have to wait until may.

I would even read far more DC comics, but I dont want to read a good story and have always to wait so much time. Its just a plain stupid decision from DC to let so much time go by until they release a trade...

Messi

It isnt about the quality of the paper, in this point DC not really differs from Marvel, its about the timespan. I only read paperbacks, because it would be expensive as hell to buy single comic books ins english here in germany, so I always have to wait for year to get the next Batman comic. Hell, they release not even Death of the Family as a softcover trade yet, we still have to wait until may.

I would even read far more DC comics, but I dont want to read a good story and have always to wait so much time. Its just a plain stupid decision from DC to let so much time go by until they release a trade...

Yep, it's kind of crazy how long they leave between trades.

tim1138

I'd happily put down money that we won't see a trade before the series is done man, no joke. Green Arrow, where you at. It's been a year since Lemire took over and no trade yet.

At least when volume 4 of Green Arrow finaaly does come out, it will be a decent sized trade. If I'm not mistaken it's issues 17-24, plus the Count Vertigo one shot from Villains Month. That Vertigo book was on the best book put out during Villains Month too.

Messi

List o list, ye mighty ones:

Furious #2
Serenity #2
Tomb Raider #1
Catwoman #28
Superman: Lois Lane One Shot
TMNT #31
Black Science #4
Chew #40
Dead Body Road #3
Deadly Class #2
Rat Queens #5
Deadpool #24
Hawkeye #15
Superior Spiderman #28

Maybe Fantastic 4 #1

Shotterke

I only started reading comics 2 months ago but I already feel like I'm buying way to many comics every week.

List:

Fantastic Four #1
The Revenge #1
Deadly Class #2
Furious #2
Hacktivist #2
Wolverine #2
Dead Boy Detectives #3
Dead Body Road #3
Black Science #4
Rat Queens #5
Wake #6
Superior Spider-Man #28

A bit late, but Daredevil was the best book out last week.

Anyway, LISTS:
DC COMICS
Batman Superman #8
Dead Boy Detectives #3 (About to drop unless it turns really compelling)
Flash #28

DARK HORSE COMICS
Serenity Leaves On The Wind #2

IDW PUBLISHING
Powerpuff Girls #6
Samurai Jack #5
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #31
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Utrom Empire #2

IMAGE COMICS
Black Science #4
Chew #40
Deadly Class #2
Manhattan Projects #18
Rat Queens #5
Three #5
Walking Dead #122

MARVEL COMICS
Avengers Assemble #24
Cataclysm The Ultimates' Last Stand #5
Deadpool #24
Guardians Of The Galaxy #12
Hawkeye #15
Mighty Avengers #7
Secret Avengers #16
Superior Spider-Man #28
Thunderbolts #22
Uncanny Avengers #17
Wolverine And The X-Men #42

I can't....I dare to dream of a day that I can rival your pull list. How is this even possible.

Don't. It'll slowly consume you. And your wallet.

But talking seriously I'm in a good situation right now and can afford it. Although I predict It'll need some reducing during the winter. (South Hemisphere resident)

Messi

Don't. It'll slowly consume you. And your wallet.

But talking seriously I'm in a good situation right now and can afford it. Although I predict It'll need some reducing during the winter. (South Hemisphere resident)

Are you a digital peasant or part of the floppy master race?

Unai

I was going to go digital, but the DRM made me go full trades and hardcovers, importing from amazon, inStockTrades and book depository.

arkon

Black Science #4
Bravest Warriors #17
Dead Boy Detectives #3
Deadly Class #2
Hawkeye #15
Manhattan Projects #18
Serenity Leaves On The Wind #2
Star Wars Legacy II #12
Umbral #4
Wolverine And The X-Men #42

Possibly Flash #28 as well, but I need to catch up on that first before I decide.

If you're getting Scott Pilgrim, check out the new color versions. Nathan Fairbairn did amazing work as the colorist and they are super nice hardcovers.
Yep, that's what I am getting. Already have the first one. Scott Pilgrim is the only thing keeping Oni Press in business. I'll have to wait a weekor so before I make my order, don't want to forget something....

Owzers

As a comic reader and fan and whatever a fan would be that reads comics, does no one have a problem with Batman #28 being used to sell you on a different weekly book and nothing else? This seems worse than any regular tie-in to an event dc or marvel want to hype, it's like instead of having Original Sin #0, Aaron just stopped Thor's storyline in the middle of an arc for a month and made Thor #20 the intro to his event.

Just completely caught up with Valiant. Between this and the BPRD-iverse, Marvel gotta step their game up. All this ancillary stuff like Avengers World just look like hollow charlatans after a dose of Bloodshot and Archer about to go head to head.

Good times for comics though. Overall it seems like All New NOW has a much better RBI than I'd expected with She Hulk, Black Widow, Ms. Marvel, and Punisher all top tier. Team books, not so much, but the world's got plenty enough of those.

As a comic reader and fan and whatever a fan would be that reads comics, does no one have a problem with Batman #28 being used to sell you on a different weekly book and nothing else? This seems worse than any regular tie-in to an event dc or marvel want to hype, it's like instead of having Original Sin #0, Aaron just stopped Thor's storyline in the middle of an arc for a month and made Thor #20 the intro to his event.

Not really? It was already communicated that the reason for the issue was to give Capullo more time on the next issue. So rather than getting a skip month we got a really cool tease about what is going to happen in the future.

As a comic reader and fan and whatever a fan would be that reads comics, does no one have a problem with Batman #28 being used to sell you on a different weekly book and nothing else? This is some sleazy stuff right here.

That wasn't the problem with 28. The problem was it managed to make a great artist like Nguyen look worse than a flashback artist in an issue of Shadowman. #HashtagValiantReferences #NoButKeepReadingDCBooksInsteadEveryone #ImSureTheyreJustAsGood #HashtagLOL

That wasn't the problem with 28. The problem was it managed to make a great artist like Nguyen look worse than a flashback artist in an issue of Shadowman. #HashtagValiantReferences #NoButKeepReadingDCBooksInsteadEveryone #ImSureTheyreJustAsGood #HashtagLOL

139292209063.jpg

I think, just as an aside, people would be a lot less confrontational about your recommendations and DC in general here if you didn't put in nearly every hype post some note about the wackness of "detractors". Just let rad be rad.

Tell me why a book is great, not why some dummy was wrong. When you frame it as you do, it just sounds like someone with an agenda more than someone with a subjective point of view.

Messi

Didn't Capullo need more time to finish the extra pages. I can wait for his art.

Owzers

Didn't Capullo need more time to finish the extra pages. I can wait for his art.

To me, DC got to sell Batman Eternal #0 as Batman #28 because it's their highest selling book and they knew i wouldn't skip it since i'm getting 27 and 29. I'm weak...and they know it. They could have skipped Batman for a month and did Batman Eternal #0 or did a one-shot focused on a different character.

On its own merits, Batman 28 was decent. I liked almost all the parts with harper, not so much
Catwoman, the dialog felt a little tired with someone taking over crime
I wasn't sold on Eternal based on that issue, and the ending reminded me of Countdown where the reveals want to be more exciting than they are.

Messi

To me, DC got to sell Batman Eternal #0 as Batman #28 because it's their highest selling book and they knew i wouldn't skip it since i'm getting 27 and 29. I'm weak...and they know it. They could have skipped Batman for a month and did Batman Eternal #0 or did a one-shot focused on a different character.

On its own merits, Batman 28 was decent. I liked almost all the parts with harper, not so much
Catwoman, the dialog felt a little tired with someone taking over crime
I wasn't sold on Eternal based on that issue, and the ending reminded me of Countdown where the reveals want to be more exciting than they are.

I don't disagree with you to be honest. I was just saying that's what Snyder had said about the issue. As for the issue
I liked the Harper stuff but disliked almost everything they did with Catwoman. I have very little knowledge of Stephanie brown so that reveal was lost on me. I didn't even know her name was spoiler. I thought it was being hidden until eternal is out. I thought she was Batgirl. I have some of her Batgirl issues.

Owzers

I don't disagree with you to be honest. I was just saying that's what Snyder had said about the issue. As for the issue
I liked the Harper stuff but disliked almost everything they did with Catwoman. I have very little knowledge of Stephanie brown so that reveal was lost on me. I didn't even know her name was spoiler. I thought it was being hidden until eternal is out. I thought she was Batgirl. I have some of her Batgirl issues.

Are you going to get Eternal? Did Batman #28 sway you one way or another? I'm still undecided....the order deadline for DCBS is Wednesday. I'm not sure i want to live in a world where i'm buying 4 issues of Eternal and Future's End each, every month.

arkon

Not having read it, I'm not sure how that's any different to other things like crossovers and event tie-ins. Or at least not sure how it's any worse.

I learnt my lesson with that crappy Daredevil/Avenging Spider-Man/Punisher crossover which basically ended at pretty much the same place they'd started. After that I didn't bother buying any crossover books unless I was already picking up the series involved. It's why I skipped the Swamp Thing portion of Rotworld.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh man. Just read the first issue (well, 50 page issue) of Life and Times of Martha Washington. Really, really liking it so far. So far it's pretty top-tier Miller writing and the Gibbons art is fantastic. It's a shame the Absolute Edition-sized hardcover is so pricey...

On the note of the two new weeklies coming out, I'm just hoping they're really good and come out in nice omnibuses. :p

And speaking of collected editions, Superior Foes of Spider-Man better get an OHC... That book looks like great fun.

Messi

Are you going to get Eternal? Did Batman #28 sway you one way or another? I'm still undecided....the order deadline for DCBS is Wednesday. I'm not sure i want to live in a world where i'm buying 4 issues of Eternal and Future's End each, every month.

I think I'll give it a month or two to see where it's going. If only for Harper and hopefully some decent Catwoman stuff. I'm not hopeful though.

#28 was alright. Didn't move my opinion one way or the other.

No interest in futures end though.

Owzers

Not having read it, I'm not sure how that's any different to other things like crossovers and event tie-ins. Or at least not sure how it's any worse.

I learnt my lesson with that crappy Daredevil/Avenging Spider-Man/Punisher crossover which basically ended at pretty much the same place they'd started. After that I didn't bother buying any crossover books unless I was already picking up the series involved. It's why I skipped the Swamp Thing portion of Rotworld.

What separates it from typical crossovers and tie-ins is that it has nothing to do with the regular Batman title right now and is solely a Batman Eternal #0 issue cloaked as Batman #28. It doesn't even tell its own story either, it is a pure set-up/tease/preview for Eternal.

The other guy isn't wrong about the pricing though either. You get few issues that unless its a discounted online place you're paying same as issues or more. The trades for marvel have been pricey enough that I can get the single issues on eBay cheaper for the set and sort of would prefer that. Only exception is a really nice hardcover edition. Comics don't seem to hold any value at all.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Haha, that's awesome. Did it read any better that way? I fully agree with you on the DD, Punisher, Spidey crossover except I thought it was really fun to have the three characters interacting, especially Spidey and DD with Rucka-Frank. I took it more as a few character-study issues rather than important plot-thrusting ones.

The story to The Midas Flesh just does not have enough ooompff to it. Not the kind of book you want to launch an imprint with. Still has the best paper stock out of any comic.

ElNarez

Banned
fuck your olympic fever I have a regular-ass fever to tell y'all about LISTS:
All-Star Western #28
Aquaman #28
Batman Superman #8
Justice League Dark #28
The Wake #6 (MOTHERFUCKERS IT'S NEW THE WAKE WEEK WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING)

Black Science #4
Deadly Class #2
Manhattan Projects #18
Satellite Sam #6

Deadpool #24
Fantastic Four #1
Guardians of the Galaxy #12
Hawkeye #15
Mighty Avengers #7
Miracleman #3
Origin II #3
Revolutionary War: Supersoldiers #1 (This is the most underrated Marvel event pretty much of all time and you're missing it I feel bad for all of y'all)
Secret Avengers #16
Thunderbolts #22
Uncanny Avengers #17
Wolverine and the X-Men #42

arkon

What separates it from typical crossovers and tie-ins is that it has nothing to do with the regular Batman title right now and is solely a Batman Eternal #0 issue cloaked as Batman #28. It doesn't even tell its own story either, it is a pure set-up/tease/preview for Eternal.

Isn't that what you get with event tie-ins like AvX /BotA issues of Wolverine and the X-Men?

Haha, that's awesome. Did it read any better that way? I fully agree with you on the DD, Punisher, Spidey crossover except I thought it was really fun to have the three characters interacting, especially Spidey and DD with Rucka-Frank. I took it more as a few character-study issues rather than important plot-thrusting ones.

Not really, no. :(

Hmm. Never thought about it in that way. I don't know, I guess I didn't even like the character interactions that much. Sometimes it can work don't get me wrong. I enjoyed that little AMS/Daredevil crossover with Black Cat was it? That was fun. Guess I wasn't as annoyed with that because I was picking up both titles at the time.

Owzers

Isn't that what you get with event tie-ins like AvX /BotA issues of Wolverine and the X-Men?

Maybe i'm being extra particular because i'm freshly annoyed, but i don't think so and it might be because Batman is currently telling a "Zero Year" story that wanted to do its own thing in the first place. WATXM tie-in issues were taking WATXM and forcing it to incorporate what was going on in the event. You still had things like Kitty Prides relationship problems with a now phoenixed Collosus. Or the annual issue with Kid Gladiator tying into Infinity and focused on his feelings towards the Jean Grey school really showing.

Batman #28 fully abandons zero year altogether, incorporates nothing really, and is used solely to be a #0 issue of Eternals to hype it.

Almost all of Marvel's.1 bullshit has been this

Maybe there's just too much of it? Batgirl has been tossed around lately with Forever Letdown , a day in the life of Zero Year stuff, Gothtopia whatever the hells..and theres probably some Death of the Night of Joker's Daughter's visit to Wayne Botanical Gardens coming up. Its enough to make someone fucking snap sometimes!

It will be very interesting to see, how they will publish the tradepaperbacks for this weekly book. I hope it will not be so awful like with the ordinary DC books. Three years of All New 52 and all we got are two Batman Paperbacks.

oh, no. DC is definitely terrible with trades. It takes them on average a year to go from hardcover to paperback, whereas Marvel goes through the whole cycle in a few months. But Marvel's trade pricing is atrocious.

Indeed. Image has a great trade program. They seem to do mostly paperbacks, but when they go hardcover, they seem to always go OHC. Their Elephantmen hardcovers are especially nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom