• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenixyz

List it like it's hot

Batman: The Dark Knight #28
Batman/Superman #8
Catwoman #28 (Gothtopia)

Black Science #4 (if this issue doesn't hook me I'll probably drop it)
Deadly Class #2 (great art, let's see if the story picks up)

I was just saying that's what Snyder had said about the issue. As for the issue
I liked the Harper stuff but disliked almost everything they did with Catwoman. I have very little knowledge of Stephanie brown so that reveal was lost on me. I didn't even know her name was spoiler. I thought it was being hidden until eternal is out. I thought she was Batgirl. I have some of her Batgirl issues.

Well, yes. She was Batgirl. But she was Spoiler first. As for Catwoman, I really liked the Kingpin angle they're going with for her. Mostly because it changes the dynamic between them that we're used to. I'm definitely going to give Eternal a shot. We'll see how the weekly format goes.

Where Bold Stars Go to Die GN (Slave Labor Graphics)

Rat Queens #5
Deadly Class #2
Umbral #4

Dynamite
Army of Darkness vs Hack/Slash #6 of 6
Legends of Red Sonja #4 of 5

Other
Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland #4 of 7 (IDW)
Henry and Glenn Forever and Ever #4 (Microcosm Publishing)

Look, Birdie, a new Valiant shirt

(Remender's Week, double the Scalera) List

Wake #6 (Return of the MerMen)
Black Science #4
Dead Body Road #3
Deadly Class #2
Three #5 (Three versus three hundred)
Umbral #4
Guardians of the Galaxy #12
Hawkeye #15 (Those Barton bros are at it again)
Superior Spider-Man #28
Uncanny Avengers #17
Wolverine #2
Wolverine and the X-Men #42 (The end of an era)

Read Unknown Soldier Vol 1 after hearing it discussed here a few weeks back. I liked it, but it's a pretty rough subject. Not sure I want to keep reading a book about a guy killing child soldiers. I understand what it's going for, but it's still not something I really want to think about. On the fence on whether or not I'll pick up vol 2 with my next instocktrades order.

Read Unknown Soldier Vol 1 after hearing it discussed here a few weeks back. I liked it, but it's a pretty rough subject. Not sure I want to keep reading a book about a guy killing child soldiers. I understand what it's going for, but it's still not something I really want to think about. On the fence on whether or not I'll pick up vol 2 with my next instocktrades order.

Yeah, that's how I feel about it, too. The subject matter is too upsetting for me. I feel the same way, to a lesser degree, about Zero. Great, well done stuff that is too depressing for me to think about.

American Vampire: Second Cycle #1 preview

LaNHHVE.jpg
lxuSvU6.jpg

lxuSvU6.jpg
BJM97ly.jpg

dat boomstick

Oh yea man, it's fucking tough stuff. I think it's very compelling as fiction though, with the mystery of the soldier, and extremely eye opening when you realise how factual it's backbone it is. It's chilling and real.

I totally get that though. My girlfriend won't read King because something always bad inevitably happens to the children, and she can't handle the thought. For me, as long as it's done tastefully, it's fine. I can at least say you don't have to worry about anything distasteful in the run, but yea, it's one of the main things that's explored. Really horrible and sad.

ElNarez

Banned
I've noticed this, but the question is... why? Why can't everything be as good as Spider-Man?

Because no one gives as much of a shit about the UU as Bendis does USM. So you get Jeph Loeb coming in and ruining everything for everyone, while Bendis keeps Spider-Man away from the bad men.

I've noticed this, but the question is... why? Why can't everything be as good as Spider-Man?

Because Ultimate Spider-Man is Bendis' baby. No one else has anything riding on it. Hell, in Cataclysm the closest we've gotten to an emotional moment for any other character is Ultimate Reed in the 616 Baxter Building.

They need writers who want to establish a concept and stay on it. Forever. Not jump when the main books come calling.

Toa TAK

Banned
Because no one gives as much of a shit about the UU as Bendis does USM. So you get Jeph Loeb coming in and ruining everything for everyone, while Bendis keeps Spider-Man away from the bad men.

That sucks, I find the Ultimate Universe a lot more interesting, too.
Because Ultimate Spider-Man is Bendis' baby. No one else has anything riding on it. Hell, in Cataclysm the closest we've gotten to an emotional moment for any other character is Ultimate Reed in the 616 Baxter Building.

They need writers who want to establish a concept and stay on it. Forever. Not jump when the main books come calling.

I agree. Lots of good ideas, but I don't feel like they stick with them or are as developed when Bendis does Ultimate Spider-Man.

MartyStu

I keep on hearing great things about Ultimate Spider-Man..

Where do I start (preferably whilst reading as little of the greater Ultimate Universe as possible)?

I feel like they wanted to kill off the Ultimate line, but then saw a spike in sales and went fuck it.

Nah, Bendis hasn't gotten anywhere near an end for Ultimate Spider-Man and if anything, he telegraphed the New Ultimates with this last arc. At most, they were going to kill off everything but Ultimate Spider-Man.

Toa TAK

Banned
I keep on hearing great things about Ultimate Spider-Man..

Where do I start (preferably whilst reading as little of the greater Ultimate Universe as possible)?
Start from the very beginning. It's a fantastic comic, until it hits the Ultimatum "finale".
I feel like they wanted to kill off the Ultimate line, but then saw a spike in sales and went fuck it.
The big G would be a way to do it...
Besides USM, is it really interesting?
Ultimate Reed is best Reed. I said it.
Am I the only one hyped for all new Ultimates. I don't dislike anyone on the team.
I'm not hyped, but I'm going to give it a go, I liked the characters in the USM comics.
Bendis = Good writer of Ultimates.

Jeph Loeb = Bad writer.

Millar = Somewhere in the middle.
I agree with this.

I feel like that's what the point of Ultimatum was as well, then they were like "oh, wait!" I'm not really a reader of their Ultimate lines anyway, but I'd be getting annoyed at this point. Either kill it or don't. But don't keep playing up apocalyptic events in the Ultimate universe if you're just going to keep backpeddling when it comes time to pull the plug.

It being the last week of the month, I would try to put together another Pull List ranking list, but I've come up with a better idea.

At the end of next month I'll ask for the Pull List of what you pulled for March to make the process a lot more simpler. Also if you do the post your weekly list, I can probably keep up with that too.

Still thanks for making the first one happen, it was great to see what ComicGAF's most popular books are.

Is there somewhere that has outlines/plot details of Sandman issue by issue or trade by trade? I'm about to start vol. 5 but It's been a while since I read vol. 4 (and even longer since I read vol. 3 which is actually plot related).

Edit: should have just checked wikipedia. The trade plot synopsis seem sufficient.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
To me, DC got to sell Batman Eternal #0 as Batman #28 because it's their highest selling book and they knew i wouldn't skip it since i'm getting 27 and 29. I'm weak...and they know it. They could have skipped Batman for a month and did Batman Eternal #0 or did a one-shot focused on a different character.

On its own merits, Batman 28 was decent. I liked almost all the parts with harper, not so much
Catwoman, the dialog felt a little tired with someone taking over crime
I wasn't sold on Eternal based on that issue, and the ending reminded me of Countdown where the reveals want to be more exciting than they are.

What made me laugh about the issue was Catwoman talking about being a kingpin like it was a new concept when my mind immediately went to Spidey/Daredevil's kingpin and how it's not that original at all. Made me chuckle.

Back to last week's comics, what the gibbering fuck was Avengers World all about? #2 was the cool AIM issue with smasher, right? So wtf was this Shang Chi fight scene for $4 all about? Fucking waste of paper. Nothing happened. At all. How many pages wasted on ancestors? I was all aboard before but damn this pissed me off. At least with Shaolin Cowboy it was funny.

With all that talk about ultimate Spiderman, and having never really read any Spidey comics before, would the Ultimate Spiderman Omnibus Vol.1 by Bendis be a good starting point then? It's like 80 bucks though ugh

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Start from the very beginning. It's a fantastic comic, until it hits the Ultimatum "finale".

It (Ultimate Spiderman) is good for quite some time after as well. Ultimatum was a fakeout death for Peter - right after ultimatum (including the requiem issues which are two of the very best ult spidey issues) is when the series hits its real peaks with the Amazing Friends arc and the one two punch of La Fuente and Pichelli sharing art duties. It's golden all the way up until Peter bites it, and then it's still good afterwards.

I've seen you say a few times recently that ultimatum is the 'end' of USM but if you stop reading there you're a fool. Yes Ultimatum was shit and nobody should read it, but it really really helped USM. And USM is perhaps the most consistenly good comic book of the 21st century. I said it.

Ultimate Reed is best Reed. I said it.

I thought that the Ellis/Millar runs of Ult FF were really great. Then it was poopysocks for a bit and then Hickman goes and makes Reed the greatest villain in the universe and it's awesome. So good.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
With all that talk about ultimate Spiderman, and having never really read any Spidey comics before, would the Ultimate Spiderman Omnibus Vol.1 by Bendis be a good starting point then? It's like 80 bucks though ugh

No becoz Omnibuses are for SUCKAS. Just buy the first trade and see if you like it. If you do, go buy vol 2. If you like vol 2, go buy vol 3. If you like vol 3...

Why would you spend $80 on a breezeblock that not only will give you deep vein thrombosis if you keep it on your lap but more importantly, you don't know if you'll like it.

tm24

Am I the only one hyped for all new Ultimates. I don't dislike anyone on the team.
Nah man, it has bombshell. I fucking love me some bombshell.

Also, i hear a lot of great things about Michael Fiffe, and one of these days i will acquire me some Copra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom