• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No becoz Omnibuses are for SUCKAS. Just buy the first trade and see if you like it. If you do, go buy vol 2. If you like vol 2, go buy vol 3. If you like vol 3...

Why would you spend $80 on a breezeblock that not only will give you deep vein thrombosis if you keep it on your lap but more importantly, you don't know if you'll like it.

If the consensus is universally good then there's a good chance i'll like it. Plus i feel that hunting down each and every volume will be a pain in the ass and a LOT more expensive so there's that hmm...

The List!?

Beware The Batman #5
Black Science #4
Bounce #10
Cryptozoic Man #4 (Of 4)
Deadly Class #2
George Romero's Empire Of The Dead Act One #2 (Of 5)
Hawkeye #15
Rat Queens #5
Robotech Voltron #2
Samurai Jack #5
Superior Spider-Man #28
Umbral #4
Wake #6 (Of 10),

Goood week!

If the consensus is universally good then there's a good chance i'll like it. Plus i feel that hunting down each and every volume will be a pain in the ass and a LOT more expensive so there's that hmm...

Ultimate Spider-man is probably my favorite super-hero comic run of all time. Whether you go omnibus or tbp it's definitely worth the price of admission.

Speaking of which, has there been any rumblings if/when they would release a volume 2 omnibus?

Batman Beyond Universe and the Justice League Beyond comic continues to be so much dumb fun. Moving up the list of my favorite titles to read. The Brainiac Invasion of Earth has been surprisingly tense and exciting and the new generation of heroes are just great; I especially love Danica Flash.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Gleason is doing the Lord's work in "Batman and ..."
Fuck yes he is. I keep saying it, but this book is the secret best batbook, and I hope a new Robin is introduced via its pages and not Snyder's Batman.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
With all that talk about ultimate Spiderman, and having never really read any Spidey comics before, would the Ultimate Spiderman Omnibus Vol.1 by Bendis be a good starting point then? It's like 80 bucks though ugh

$33 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultimate-Sp...8237612?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item27db9d352c

If that one sells out, there are quite a few others almost as cheap on Ebay. It's also really cheap on Amazon.

The only issue with that is that you'd have to complete the collection with the OHCs, some of which are pretty pricey.

Riptwo

I've been trying to find the Tokyopop editions of Blame for the past couple of days, and they're all going for way too much money on eBay. Has anyone spotted any of them in-stock in any online comic shops?

Splatt

Donatello is the best turtle. Come at me!

ikeiOuKterkpq.gif

Blink Me

Donatello is the best turtle. Come at me!

Agreed as well. And I'll join in with the TMNT comic series love. It mixes both the old cartoon characters with the new as well as introducing new characters into the mix. Still waiting to see if the Mutanimals make an appearance.

Toa TAK

Banned
It (Ultimate Spiderman) is good for quite some time after as well. Ultimatum was a fakeout death for Peter - right after ultimatum (including the requiem issues which are two of the very best ult spidey issues) is when the series hits its real peaks with the Amazing Friends arc and the one two punch of La Fuente and Pichelli sharing art duties. It's golden all the way up until Peter bites it, and then it's still good afterwards.

I've seen you say a few times recently that ultimatum is the 'end' of USM but if you stop reading there you're a fool. Yes Ultimatum was shit and nobody should read it, but it really really helped USM. And USM is perhaps the most consistenly good comic book of the 21st century. I said it.

I agree very much. Yes, I do keep saying Ultimatum is the "end" so to speak, but I have read through all the way up to Parker's death. And I was pleasantly surprised how well that was done. Even how they treat JJJ after Ultimatum is great, that wouldn't have happened in the main series as far as I know, even now in Superior.

Working my way through Rachel Rising volume 2 - just finished issue 10. I read one issue per sitting because so much unfolds and I find I need to let it sit before moving on. Watching the pieces fall into place, though, is fascinating. I suppose it could be categorized as a horror mystery?

Korupt, it's too bad your wife isn't interested in participating in these threads because I would love some RR discussion. It's a series well worthy of attention.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I agree very much. Yes, I do keep saying Ultimatum is the "end" so to speak, but I have read through all the way up to Parker's death. And I was pleasantly surprised how well that was done. Even how they treat JJJ after Ultimatum is great, that wouldn't have happened in the main series as far as I know, even now in Superior.

Yeah the JJJ stuff is prob my favourite of the whole run. The stuff with peter diving in the water and Jonah watching him, gives me chills whenever I think of it. Even the death arc was amazing I thought. Big tears at the end. He died like a fucking hero, I loved how small scale and sad it was. Just a bunch of dudes beating a kid to death, it was hard to read for me.

Quake1028

DC COMICS
Superman Lois Lane #1 (One Shot)
Wake #6 (Of 10)

IMAGE COMICS
Peter Panzerfaust Volume 3 Cry Of The Wolf

MARVEL COMICS
Avengers Assemble #24
Fantastic Four #1
Thor By Walter Simonson Volume 4

tim1138

Hey Messi, Comicvine and comicosity have interviews with Jimmy Palmiotti about Harley. Sounds like
Joker
is off the board.

Messi

Hey Messi, Comicvine and comicosity have interviews with Jimmy Palmiotti about Harley. Sounds like
Joker
is off the board.

It warms my heart to hear that. I'll check out the interview after work.

I checked it out. More
ivy is great news. I love their relationship. I'd love to see Catwoman at some point but doubt it because she is wrapped up in Eternal and whatever muck Nocenti's writing.

Working my way through Rachel Rising volume 2 - just finished issue 10. I read one issue per sitting because so much unfolds and I find I need to let it sit before moving on. Watching the pieces fall into place, though, is fascinating. I suppose it could be categorized as a horror mystery?

Korupt, it's too bad your wife isn't interested in participating in these threads because I would love some RR discussion. It's a series well worthy of attention.

I tell her she should sign up.

dan2026

Joker
is off the board.
I wonder what the are even going to do with Joker at this point.

He has to get his face back sooner of later. (This us where they reveal that the faceless Joker wasn't even the real one or some nonsense)

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I said it before, but Ultimate JJ definitely is the Superior JJ as he was allowed to grow beyond being a stick figure. Slott did new stuff with him by making him mayor, but ultimately it's mostly a change of venue. Ultimate JJ feels way more like a genuine human and was able to see how much of a dick he'd been.

Messi

I tell her she should sign up.

Does she did the new Harley book?

I wonder what the are even going to do with Joker at this point.

He has to get his face back sooner of later. (This us where they reveal that the faceless Joker wasn't even the real one or some nonsense)

Kind of wondering what they are going to do with him as well. Maybe it's just up to Snyder to use him again. I'd love to see him in Batman and....

Quake1028

Hmmm....debating on picking up the 36 issues of Uncanny X-Force I need today, or waiting to see if I can get a cheap digital code from someone who picks up the Omni. Decisions, decisions.

dan2026

Kind of wondering what they are going to do with him as well. Maybe it's just up to Snyder to use him again. I'd love to see him in Batman and....

Yeah I'm ready for someone else to write the Joker. Snyder was ok, but it didn't really grab me. And I still think the faceless thing is a really stupid idea.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

I think, if Tomasi is in it for the long haul, he'll definitely get around to joker, and man, how rad would a Gleason Joker be?

In line with the Batman & Friends talk,
I wonder if Erin is being set up as the next Two-Face. Her origin certainly supports it, and the facial scarring, which really should have been way more extensive, I feel.

dan2026

Amazing X-Men is the best X-Men book at the moment.
So much fun.

I must be the only guy who doesn't like the Batman/Two-Face stuff.
They just went and gave him a new origin for no reason and I really liked The Long Halloween.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom