• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quake1028

Isn't it only like 36 issues or something?

That's like $36 right?

37 issues, I already have issue 1. Yeah, it would be like sub $36, but I could probably get a digital code on release day of the Omnibus for like $15.

Also, pickups!!!
cA8ifbTl.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Omnibus is only issues 1-39 IIRC, series hits issue 150 or so. If you want to continue with the series you have to look else like trades.

Does it have Ultimate Six in the Omni as well? IMO that's required reading in the USM canon.

Other Ultimate stuff nobody ever talks about : the Warren Ellis Gah Lak Tus series was great - 3 trades, one story, bunch of cool shit in it. Some of the side stuff in Ultimates was the best it got IMO. Even Ultimate Iron Man was pretty cool, and they pretended that never happened. Ultimate Doom was a great story too, lead right into Hickman's Ultimates.

If I were new to comics and wanted something cool, I would find an Ultimate Universe chronology and just work through that shit. Loads of great stuff. Even Millar's Ultimates rocked. Just scoff derisively at anything Loeb did and you'll be fine.

I feel like they wanted to kill off the Ultimate line, but then saw a spike in sales and went fuck it.

As someone who thought for a while that Hunger/Cataclysm actually would put the line out of its misery... I don't think that's actually true. It's just that Marvel hasn't learned the definition of madness, given that this is exactly the same formula they used for the 2009 and 2011 relaunches: kill off characters to create "exciting" new status quo, relaunch books, watch sales on most of them slip to cancellation numbers, repeat.

I think they're ashamed to admit that, Miles Morales aside, the Ultimate Universe has simply long outlived its relevance and most of its creative rationale for its own existence. But there shouldn't be any shame in that.

Hmmm....debating on picking up the 36 issues of Uncanny X-Force I need today, or waiting to see if I can get a cheap digital code from someone who picks up the Omni. Decisions, decisions.

Do Omnis come with digital codes? None of mine have them but they are a bit older (Hickman FF, Fraction Iron Man, Secret Warriors).

tim1138

It warms my heart to hear that. I'll check out the interview after work.

I checked it out. More
ivy is great news. I love their relationship. I'd love to see Catwoman at some point but doubt it because she is wrapped up in Eternal and whatever muck Nocenti's writing.

Did you read Gotham City Sirens?
If not you should really check it out, especially the issues Paul Dini wrote at the beginning of its run. It's right up your alley.

Messi

37 issues, I already have issue 1. Yeah, it would be like sub $36, but I could probably get a digital code on release day of the Omnibus for like $15.

Also, pickups!!!
cA8ifbTl.jpg

Oh that Daredevil is big. Want.

Plus points for Y

Did you read Gotham City Sirens?
If not you should really check it out, especially the issues Paul Dini wrote at the beginning of its run. It's right up your alley.

I read all of Sirens. It was great. I want a team up in harley.

Brandon Graham and Robin McConnell Inkstuds Kickstarter

Brandon Graham and his buddy, Inkstuds podcast host Robin McConnell, just launched a Kickstarter to do a big road tripping, interview/sketch-paolooza in LA this summer. If you are a Brandon Graham fan, get your ass in here quick for signed/sketched-in Brandon goodness! You can get deluxe sketches, exclusive merch, sketched-on books or postcards or what-have-you. Some stuff is limited so checking it sooner than later would be my recommendation.

Brandon Graham and Robin McConnell Inkstuds Kickstarter

Brandon Graham and his buddy, Inkstuds podcast host Robin McConnell, just launched a Kickstarter to do a big road tripping, interview/sketch-paolooza in LA this summer. If you are a Brandon Graham fan, get your ass in here quick for signed/sketched-in Brandon goodness! You can get deluxe sketches, exclusive merch, sketched-on books or postcards or what-have-you. Some stuff is limited so checking it sooner than later would be my recommendation.
Oh shit, Los Angeles? Fuck yeah

Owzers

Hey Comics-GAF, we're all friends here, even those people who read DC books, so i'm giving away my Loki #1 digital code because i don't think i'll continue buying it monthly even though it was enjoyable. All i ask is that you like comics and that you agree with me on everything i've ever said here. Quote this post and every post you've ever made that aligns with my thoughts and you get the code.

Messi

Hey Comics-GAF, we're all friends here, even those people who read DC books, so i'm giving away my Loki #1 digital code because i don't think i'll continue buying it monthly even though it was enjoyable. All i ask is that you like comics and that you agree with me on everything i've ever said here. Quote this post and every post you've ever made that aligns with my thoughts and you get the code.

You hate dc. That means you hate her... Shit. We could have been friends.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Does anybody know, what the name of those Spider-Man/X-Men Miniseries from some years ago was?
It was a story about different points of the Marvel History and involved Kraven, Mr. Sinister, Ben Reilly and some kind of strange Kraven clone.

I read it a couple of years ago and loved it so much. I really want to buy it again.

Does anybody know, what the name of those Spider-Man/X-Men Miniseries from some years ago was?
It was a story about different points of the Marvel History and involved Kraven, Mr. Sinister, Ben Reilly and some kind of strange Kraven clone.

I read it a couple of years ago and loved it so much. I really want to buy it again.

It was called, surprise surprise, "X-Men/Spider-Man". It is collected here on comixology.

MG310

So Mera will be the next Bombshell statue. :/ still no Catwoman or Batwoman.

Here are the options on DC's site

B or C would be pretty cool and fit the Bombshells style

I'm pretty into the big floppy hat on A but I'm not sure who else they could use the sailor motif for.

Quake1028

Here are the big runs/series/events I want to read, can you guys pick one for me to start on?

Infinity HC plus most tie-ins
Uncanny X-Force #1-35
Avengers vs. X-men plus most tie-ins
X--Statix OMNI
Avengers SA OMNI

First 3 are digital master race, last 2 are print.

Here are the big runs/series/events I want to read, can you guys pick one for me to start on?

Uncanny X-Force #1-35
X--Statix OMNI
Avengers SA OMNI

AvX was... well.... not quite as bad as Ultimatum. It had a few decent parts before it jumped the shark. I'd go with #'s 1, 2, and 4 on your list. Start with the X-Statix, IMO.

I like the direction they are going in for this one. It fits better than some of the others.

I don't think there's much point in the sailor-STOP SWITCHING YOUR AVATAR EVERY DAY!... XD

The sailor hat doesn't look right unless you also have tghe pants, and I think the swimsuit and floppy hat works much better. She does belong in the water after all.

Messi

I don't think there's much point in the sailor-STOP SWITCHING YOUR AVATAR EVERY DAY!... XD

The sailor hat doesn't look right unless you also have tghe pants, and I think the swimsuit and floppy hat works much better. She does belong in the water after all.

I am sorry :( maybe I should just go back to an olivia wilde one and stick with it.

So Mera will be the next Bombshell statue. :/ still no Catwoman or Batwoman.

Here are the options on DC's site

B or C would be pretty cool and fit the Bombshells style

I voted A. I guess I like the beach style better than the sailor theme. Might actually pick this up. I'm a huge Aquaman fan (well, since the N52, haven't gone read the older stuff) and I think Mera's rad.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Uncanny X-Force #1-35
X--Statix OMNI
Avengers SA OMNI

X-Statix!

Well, if I were you, I'd read Infinity first since it's the shortest and people are still talking about it a bit, so it'd be good to join the conversation I guess. But then after that, definitely X-Statix.

Well I'm thinking of putting together an instocktrades purchase. Need some opinions though. Somethings I'm thinking about picking up:

Blankets - Don't know anything about it, heard it's good. Might be a good switch after reading superhero books and my Planetary Omni.

Zero - Again, don't know anything. I generally like spy stuff and I saw that it was at 50% off so I figure it's worth a look maybe?

Morrison's Batman run - Well, the start of it. Probably the first 3 trades through Batman RIP.

Fatale Vol 3 & 4 - Loved 1&2, but my copies are down in GA with most of my collection and I just don't think I'll remember what was going on.

Powergirl - Again, no clue but it looks fun.

Johns GL run - Read Blackest Night and now I"m going back. Just finished Rebirth.

Anyone else have any suggestions or opinions on the books I don't really know about? I mostly read DC and Image, but I'm always up to looking into Marvel if someone can point me to the god-tier level comics are.

Blankets - Don't know anything about it, heard it's good. Might be a good switch after reading superhero books and my Planetary Omni.

Powergirl - Again, no clue but it looks fun.

Fatale 3&4

-Blankets was good, but I prefer his more recent book, Habibi.

-Powergirl is great. Do it.

-I liked Fatale a lot at the beginning, but my interest in it has waned recently. I still liked it as far as the content in volume 3 goes. I think volume 4 would be where the book started to flounder.

If you're open to suggestions, I'd definitely recommend I Kill Giants if you have yet to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom