• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Jedeye, how can you suggest skipping Sinestro Corp War? Really? ;(

But man, what really happened? I remember lots of pictures of people in yellow and people in green hitting each other on a background of stars with copious yellow and green lazers and shit. What else happened? Either at the emotional core of the story, or in terms of it actually saying anything? It's a piece of a puzzle and its value comes from the tapestry it's a part of, not the inherent value of the tale itself.

Looking back at the whole thing, I think the whole reliance on the rainbow corps was a misstep, and has made the GL universe pretty one dimensional. The saga itself was a fun ride (when you didn't know where it was going) but ultimately hollow. Spoilers - there's an arc for each of the colours and then they HIT EACH OTHER oooooo

Finally got around to reading the first few issues of The Superior Foes of Spider-Man and holy crap is that book hilarious. Fantastic read so far. Definitely recommended.

The emotional core of Sinestro Corp War is Superboy-fucking-Prime. Oh and Cyborg Superman. Maybe we just look for different things in comics, but to me it's just epic.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The emotional core of Sinestro Corp War is Superboy-fucking-Prime. Oh and Cyborg Superman. Maybe we just look for different things in comics, but to me it's just epic.

ha yeah we must do, I have the opposite reaction to SBP. "Oh no not this shit again" :p although he was pretty fun in Legion of Three Worlds.

I guess Sinestro War was entirely terrible. Antimonitor was fairly neat. What is unnecessary is everything in the run that isn't the Sinestro War and Blackest Night (which I loved at the time, I'm not a complete snob). Larfleeze is a one note joke, the red lanterns were ridiculous (I'm supposed to empathise with a character called Atrocitous??), blue lanterns were dull, indigo dragged out too long.

Did we ever find out what Larfleeze's oath was? They kept teasing it for years.

tim1138

ha yeah we must do, I have the opposite reaction to SBP. "Oh no not this shit again" :p although he was pretty fun in Legion of Three Worlds.

I guess Sinestro War was entirely terrible. Antimonitor was fairly neat. What is unnecessary is everything in the run that isn't the Sinestro War and Blackest Night (which I loved at the time, I'm not a complete snob). Larfleeze is a one note joke, the red lanterns were ridiculous (I'm supposed to empathise with a character called Atrocitous??), blue lanterns were dull, indigo dragged out too long.

From GL #20:

What's mine is mine
and mine and mine,
And mine, and mine, and mine!
Not yours!

Curses, Tim.

What's mine is mine and mine and mine,
And mine, and mine, and mine!
Not yours!

Cyborg Superman as the
Grandmaster of the Manhunters
was a great direction for the character imo.

On the topic of the "one dimensional" nature of the other spectrum corps, I guess I'd say that is the fault of a writer not the concept itself. I mean, when you get down to it, all any of the spectrums are just a means to tap into a power source, it doesn't really matter what that means is, in the end. I look at it more like a way to justify giving a ring to people outside of those with "great willpower".

tim1138

Ah I see. Motherfucker teased that shit for 5 years.

He finally revealed the translation for the Indigo Tribe language as well during the N52. Pretty much the entire first year of N52 GL stories were just plots he had already announced as coming and then repurposed to fit into the constraints of the new universe. The Sinestro Secret Origins arc became Sinestro as a GL again and the Secrets of the Indigo Tribe was rewritten to include GL Sinestro and set up the return of Black Hand as the spark for Simon Baz and the Third Army and First Lantern arcs that ended his run.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
We need more Superheroes with rugged beards. I think that's what I always liked about Starboy / Starman. Thom rocked a sweet beard.

Thom Kallor was the shit. Loved all his stuff. Was thrilled when I got to read Starman after having read lots of JSA and saw he was in there too. Robinson and Johns played a looooong game with him. Actually now that I think about it, Thom may have been the last really decent thing that Johns wrote.

Anyone planning on getting the new Fantastic Four #1 ?? I was curious about it mainly because I just don't get a ton of super hero books honestly.

Anyone planning on getting the new Fantastic Four #1 ?? I was curious about it mainly because I just don't get a ton of super hero books honestly.
I'm probably going to check out the first issue because Leonard Kirk's artwork looks damn fine. But Robinson has always been a hit/miss writer for me personally, so we'll see.

Bleeding Cool is reporting that according to sources, David Finch will be the new artist (writer/artist?) on Wonder Woman when Azzarello/Chiang leave the series later this year. And, speculating that the series will eschew its standalone format and take after the character's portrayal in the Justice League books and (possibly) her upcoming film depiction.

(Tiny) grain of salt on that last bit but...

Condolences. :(

THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY.

I like Finch and that sample on Bleeding Cool is gorgeous. But after 28 issues of THE BABY I'm ready for something different.

The baby.

Messi

ElNarez

Banned
Bleeding Cool is reporting that according to sources, David Finch will be the new artist (writer/artist?) on Wonder Woman when Azzarello/Chiang leave the series later this year. And, speculating that the series will eschew its standalone format and take after the character's portrayal in the Justice League books and (possibly) her upcoming film depiction.

I wanna believe this is a goof because this is literally what someone would say as a "Wouldn't it be hilariously short-sighted and fucked up and stupid for the caricature of DC that exists in our head to do this because it is literally the dumbest thing ever" BUT I DON'T KNOW

BUT ALSO I DON'T THINK SO

BUT MAN, IT'S FUCKING BELIEVABLE

What's the word on the fresh new Marvel books? What should I be reading from the newest batch? I need a pull-list refresh since everything X-Men bores me now. I've never been a non-X guy...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm finding black widow a bit dull tbh since we've had essentially the same story three times running with no real thread running through it. Hawkeye often had the same problem, but had a lot more charm to it. Black Widow feels very insubstantial to me.

Grandharrier, Korupt. Stuck my ps4 on for the first time in awhile today, and thought I'd stick on NFS rivals. Tried to beat a few of your records and....failed miserably haha. Hope you're both proud of yourselves. Ruining my game confidence by proxy.

frye

But man, what really happened? I remember lots of pictures of people in yellow and people in green hitting each other on a background of stars with copious yellow and green lazers and shit. What else happened? Either at the emotional core of the story, or in terms of it actually saying anything? It's a piece of a puzzle and its value comes from the tapestry it's a part of, not the inherent value of the tale itself.

Looking back at the whole thing, I think the whole reliance on the rainbow corps was a misstep, and has made the GL universe pretty one dimensional. The saga itself was a fun ride (when you didn't know where it was going) but ultimately hollow. Spoilers - there's an arc for each of the colours and then they HIT EACH OTHER oooooo

I feel Johns's GL is worth reading until whenever it is you think it gets too dumb to continue whether that's fear bugs, angry aliens who vomit blood because they're super mad, zzzombies + necrophilia or [some other thing that happened post-Blackest Night cuz that's when I checked out]

Oh gooooooooooooooooooooood no. Especially if he's writing it

Messi

Grandharrier, Korupt. Stuck my ps4 on for the first time in awhile today, and thought I'd stick on NFS rivals. Tried to beat a few of your records and....failed miserably haha. Hope you're both proud of yourselves. Ruining my game confidence by proxy.

Ps4 bros if you want to play some games add me. My nick is RemyWilde on PSN.

ReiGun

I wanna believe this is a goof because this is literally what someone would say as a "Wouldn't it be hilariously short-sighted and fucked up and stupid for the caricature of DC that exists in our head to do this because it is literally the dumbest thing ever" BUT I DON'T KNOW

BUT ALSO I DON'T THINK SO

BUT MAN, IT'S FUCKING BELIEVABLE

Your response is too accurate. WW has been a fantastic book so far because it has stayed away from iffy crossovers and carved out it's own cast and mythos.

What's the word on the fresh new Marvel books? What should I be reading from the newest batch? I need a pull-list refresh since everything X-Men bores me now. I've never been a non-X guy...

Punisher and Black Widow are fucking awesome. Heard great things about the new Ms Marvel, but I haven't read it yet. Hawkeye is still awesome.

I just want to point out that people thought Superman/Wonder Woman was going to be one of the worst things ever and is in fact one of the best books DC is putting out at the moment. Just something to think about when it comes to preconceived notions.

Splatt

I can't believe they are going to let Finch ruin another title.

Please stop sucking his cock DC, his art isn't even that good!

I just want to point out that people thought Superman/Wonder Woman was going to be one of the worst things ever and is in fact one of the best books DC is putting out at the moment. Just something to think about when it comes to preconceived notions.
At least Soule had a positive enough track record. IF the rumor is true, Finch is a pretty shitty writer (have we forgotten about ONE-FACE so soon?) and a weak artist (though, ymmv on that)

frye

david finch fucking sucks dogg

Amazing X-Men reminds me of Mighty Avengers during the scientist supreme era when I hated Avengers.

It's the best book for those who cannot care less about the mutant struggle, and Bendis' folly.

So gud.

Owzers

surprisingly Loki #1 was the best out of that, Ms Marvel, and She-Hulk, yet that's the one of the three i didn't continue pre-ordering when i decided what to get. *shrug*

Ms Marvel #1 was decent but felt very shallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom