• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Okay GAF, we need to have a talk here because we just had two consecutive posts of future tree rape from Ellis and weird Revenge book. My eyes can only take so much.

SRG01

Hey Comic-GAF, not sure if anyone knows the answer to this question, but what's the best way to self-publish a comic? As well, is it better to go issue by issue or is it better to go with the webcomic format?

Bleeding Cool is reporting that according to sources, David Finch will be the new artist (writer/artist?) on Wonder Woman when Azzarello/Chiang leave the series later this year. And, speculating that the series will eschew its standalone format and take after the character's portrayal in the Justice League books and (possibly) her upcoming film depiction.

(Tiny) grain of salt on that last bit but...

Condolences. :(

BARF

I just want to point out that people thought Superman/Wonder Woman was going to be one of the worst things ever and is in fact one of the best books DC is putting out at the moment. Just something to think about when it comes to preconceived notions.

nope! he's gross. I tried JLA and Forever Evil and mostly regret it all

and I didn't think anything on Supe/WW, just that it was wierd. I was cool with Soule from Swamp Thing

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
1313096_ful.jpg
1312919_ful.jpg
1286628_ful.jpg

1313376_ful.jpg
1305961_ful.jpg
1281172_ful.jpg

1313125_ful.jpg
1306106_ful.jpg
1306117_ful.jpg

Hey Comic-GAF, not sure if anyone knows the answer to this question, but what's the best way to self-publish a comic? As well, is it better to go issue by issue or is it better to go with the webcomic format?
[notanexpert]

It seems to me that these days a webcomic would be the smart way to build an audience, rather than risking the costs of self publication on an audience you don't know is there. It just seems a better way to test the waters and get noticed while if not being lucrative then at least not going under.

[/notanexpert]

Vibranium

Banned
I'm giving Tomb Raider a shot, I know people say Simone is too interested in pushing an agenda these days but I've heard good stuff about her Red Sonja run (considering picking that up).

I hope the TR 2 game has an improved story/characters, the writing wasn't awful like some people say though.

KidDork

Give Captain America Castaway in Dimension Z a try...

unless you have no interest in Captain America whatsoever.

I've been getting that monthly, BuddyJoe. I can't wait for my dose of Remender. Need that monthly Remender bump!

Any offbeat recommendations for comixology IDW sale? Something that isn't Locke and key since I already am getting the hcs

Ghostbusters is a solid book. I keep imagining this series as the proper sequel to the first film.

I'm giving Tomb Raider a shot, I know people say Simone is too interested in pushing an agenda these days but I've heard good stuff about her Red Sonja run (considering picking that up).

I hope the TR 2 game has an improved story/characters, the writing wasn't awful like some people say though.

I would reckon anyone who enjoyed the game ought to give the book a try. Simone played and loved the game and sells the book pretty well in the Dark Horse back pages thingy. Red Sonja is on point, btw.

As for IDW, I would recommend Wild Blue Yonder to anyone. I just hope the creators get their shit together and finish it.

Also, that Life with Archie Riverdale Confidential cover is raaaad.

My delivery from IST came today. I missed them yesterday because I was at school, and I was hoping that I wouldn't miss them again. Luckily, I got home way before they arrived.

The first thing I have to mention is the packaging. People had already told me how sick a job IST does, but I wasn't quite prepared. The books were completely surrounded by the foam bumpers. Honest to god, it looked completely stuffed top to bottom.

The books were wrapped tight with this plastic, and the bundle was taped down to this long piece of cardboard. I don't think I've ever had books sent with this level of care...ever.

The books themselves? Excellent condition. I've got a quiz and a test, so my time is on my textbooks, but I couldn't quite help myself and I've already torn through Born Again. When I finish with everything this week, I'm gonna spend some time with the rest of em.

Warren Ellis just sent out a newsletter through his website Orbital Operations, he hadn't planned on this new series getting announced yet but since it has he also included the solicitations for the first issue

Ten years after they landed. All over the world. And they did nothing, standing on the surface of the Earth like trees, exerting their silent pressure on the world, as if there were no-one here and nothing under foot. Ten years since we learned that there is intelligent life in the universe, but that they did not recognise us as intelligent or alive. Beginning a new science fiction graphic novel by Warren Ellis & Jason Howard.

Also a bonus

Edit: Adding my other post at the bottom of the last page

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wait, this is a Warren Ellis book due to start in May, but wasn't on the recent solicitations?

I'm so down for that series. Warren Ellis doing a riff on initial alien contact. Hell yes.

SRG01

[notanexpert]

It seems to me that these days a webcomic would be the smart way to build an audience, rather than risking the costs of self publication on an audience you don't know is there. It just seems a better way to test the waters and get noticed while if not being lucrative then at least not going under.

[/notanexpert]

Thanks Spike!

The reason why I ask is because I sometimes see indie comics at some of the local scene/comic stores. I have no idea how much they sell, so perhaps online would be the way to go...

Blader

Speaking of Catwoman, are there any thoughts on Brubaker's Catwoman run? I've never really read the character outside of her Batman appearances, but I'm in the mood for a spy/heist/crime/noir/you get the picture-type comic and Brubaker usually delivers on that front. Worth it?

Speaking of Catwoman, are there any thoughts on Brubaker's Catwoman run? I've never really read the character outside of her Batman appearances, but I'm in the mood for a spy/heist/crime/noir/you get the picture-type comic and Brubaker usually delivers on that front. Worth it?

Brubaker's run was good. Much better than the Nocenti shit Messi is reading.

Messi

I read the first trade and thought it was fantastic. Need to get vol 2.

Tomorrows list for me:

-Hacktavist #2 (for my brother in law)
-Tomb Raider
-Harley Quinn #2 (re-print)
-SuperMan: Lois lane #1
-X-files Conspiracy: Transformers
-Deadly Class #2
-Fantastic Four #1

Haven't read all of it, but yeah it's good stuff. the heist in Cooke's Selina's Big Score is awesome

Ps4 bros if you want to play some games add me. My nick is RemyWilde on PSN.

For sure man. I just got LoS2 and Thief on my PC so I'll be on that for a bit but Infamous is coming, I'll be on the PS4 more then.

Not sure what I think of the WW/Finch news. He isn't the artist I would have picked, but he's not horrific at least. I liked his New Avengers Breakout arc back in the day, and with such a critically acclaimed team coming off, I think a name with a bit of star power will help alleviate sales pressure, hopefully lessen the need to do something drastic with the series' style. I think it still comes down a lot to who the writer is and if it's accurate that they'd be changing her depiction and the style of book it is etc. to more like JL, that's really the worrying news.

If he could keep up more of a schedule, I'd probably have liked Jae Lee.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I like that art... the middle ones on the top and bottom I could use for avatars

Not sure how I would feel about the story going in that direction, but I didnt really like the first few issues of Catwoman the way they put them out. The fence stuff seemed forced and over the top.

Man, I looooooved those first 6 or so issues of Catwoman. March was the perfect artist for it and draws a sexy and sharp looking Selina and I really liked how straight up adult it was. And then the internet shit its pants when issue 1 came out so that was the end of that. I really liked the fence story too, I thought Selina's rage at the climax of that story was very understandable and affecting. March was so good with her eyes in this, that blank horrified stare was perfect.

I'm really liking what Andreyko is doing with Batwoman. And I'm also growing on Jeremy Haun's artwork though I'm in this weird place where I think I like his Kate outside of her costume more than in.

Guys, don't forget about the Lois Lane one shot!!

It better be up to the quality and standards of old school "Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane" or I'm going to be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom