• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

SoilBreak

Banned
So much drive-by snark from animoo and vidya avatars. Must be all that Quality Writing in those mediums. All we need now is someone to tell us we're wasting our time and we should all be watching HBO with an occasional break for a wank over Breaking Bad all the time.

''Western Comics? Lmao I'm gonna stick with quality shit like naruto brehs''
qEkTw6I.png

Holy shit, Zombine going in hard on the OP of that thread. Also, everybody shittin' on Snyder in that one. Damn.

Everything before zero year was average. Started good but fizzled out. Waiting for endgame to finish before I make a judgement. Hope he manages to pull of the ending.

I'd class Snyder as an above average writer. Not sure why he's getting so much hate. :/

Wtf, Snyder is fantastic. American Vamp and his Batman run are too good. Now if they wanted to shit on Loeb or Fialkov's cape work I'd understand

tim1138

Zombine fighting the good fight in that mess. It annoys me that posting scans or unmarked spoilers in any other thread gets you a week off, but that guy does both in the first post and no one gives a damn.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Zombine fighting the good fight in that mess. It annoys me that posting scans or unmarked spoilers in any other thread gets you a week off, but that guy does both in the first post and no one gives a damn.

I think there's a general lack of understanding/care about comics on this board. Usually, these OT comic threads post shit like "ROBIN IS GOING TO DIE" and then all these goons pile into the thread saying "lol comics" and "COMICS R FUCKING DUMB". There's rarely any context to those dopey threads.

Which is weird, 'cause you go into the comics movie threads and suddenly everybody is reading their comics and with fucking magnifying glasses.

I get wanting to avoid spoilers, but y'all are wayyy too sensitive.

I don't think so. Try creating a thread on the gaming side with DA:I's big ending reveal in the title. See how that goes.

I'd class Snyder as an above average writer. Not sure why he's getting so much hate. :/

I wonder why too. Most of his arcs left me feeling a bit unsatisfied but I didn't find the series to be bad. Though I do think it is Capullo's art that pushes the series from being average to above average.

Sou Da

I think there's a general lack of understanding/care about comics on this board. Usually, these OT comic threads post shit like "ROBIN IS GOING TO DIE" and then all these goons pile into the thread saying "lol comics" and "COMICS R FUCKING DUMB". There's rarely any context to those dopey threads.

Which is weird, 'cause you go into the comics movie threads and suddenly everybody is reading their comics and with fucking magnifying glasses.

While I agree with your assessment here I would like to point out that
Damian stole everything from Tim, EVERYTHING

Zombine

Banned
So, I may end up runing comic image sharing on GAF, but it'll hopefully prevent shit like this from happening. Technically speaking, the only images we should be sharing are promo scans and that's it.

That shit would be ban or tagworthy if it was the Red Wedding or something similar.

The Red Wedding is a major moment in that series and the audience is much bigger, is that Batman spoiler on par? No sarcasm, honest question.

Definitely not the title I would've picked, though.

I'm generally very lax when it comes to spoilers but the original title was uncalled for.

No doubt. Just seemed like some folks were acting like it ruined their week.

I don't think so. Try creating a thread on the gaming side with DA:I's big ending reveal in the title. See how that goes.

I guess my only explanation is that a gaming spoiler on a gaming forum would be seen as more severe than a comic book spoiler on a gaming forum.

The Red Wedding is a major moment in that series and the audience is much bigger, is that Batman spoiler on par? No sarcasm, honest question.

Definitely not the title I would've picked, though.

No doubt. Just seemed like some folks were acting like it ruined their week.

There isn't some size limit or importance quotient that determines whether or not spoilers in the title are a dick move. And not everyone gets their comics weekly. DCBS is a big thing for a lot of people so typically a month out at the minimum is required.

tim1138

HAHA! real talk

Comics are shat upon by a lot of people.

The morale of the story is, if you want to keep your sanity avoid OT comics threads like the plague that they are. Nobody should make time for the uninformed drive by trolling that dominates those threads.

So it's okay to spoil it if less people are interested? Can't wait to drop all those unmarked spoilers of next year's Oscar favourites before they go on general release then.

It's either all okay or none of it is okay. I'm asking for common courtesy, but hey, that doesn't fucking matter because the thread creator had to get his clickz.

The morale of the story is, if you want to keep your sanity avoid OT comics threads like the plague that they are. Nobody should make time for the uninformed drive by trolling that dominates those threads.
I do avoid them. It's why the thread title pissed me off so much. I was heading over to the Super Bowl thread and get to see that nonsense.

Zombine

Banned
I do. It's why the thread title pissed me off so much. I was heading over to the Super Bowl thread and get to see that nonsense.

I only caught it because I live in the OT. Typically I just keep my distance from comic threads, but it was kind of hard to miss that one. Then once he was called out on his bullshit he put his tail between his legs.

There isn't some size limit or importance quotient that determines whether or not spoilers in the title are a dick move. And not everyone gets their comics weekly. DCBS is a big thing for a lot of people so typically a month out at the minimum is required.

Right, I understand where you're coming from, I'm just saying that's the chance you take by going on the internet. If I record the Superbowl tonight to watch tomorrow, I can't be pissed if I log onto GAF in the meantime and see a thread title declaring the Patriots the winner. It's a discussion forum.

Read a few chapters of Doom Patrol today. Tried playing a videogame, couldn't get into it. Stared off into space and decided I was gonna go grab my wife's art supplies and try drawing Batman for the fun of it. So I went to my books, found a picture that I thought I could handle and partially did it, partially just did my own thing. Can you guess the artist I pulled inspiration from?

B8yDkIyIQAIm78O.jpg

Zombine

Banned
Right, I understand where you're coming from, I'm just saying that's the chance you take by going on the internet. If I record the Superbowl tonight to watch tomorrow, I can't be pissed if I log onto GAF in the meantime and see a thread title declaring the Patriots the winner. It's a discussion forum.

"Super Bowl 49 Champs Are..."

This is still courteous toward those who have yet to watch, while giving those who have a place to discuss. You can't rationalize spoilers, and it was clearly a problem to the point where a mod changed the title.

Korrupt Data said:
Can you guess the artist I pulled inspiration from?

Edouard Manet

Read a few chapters of Doom Patrol today. Tried playing a videogame, couldn't get into it. Stared off into space and decided I was gonna go grab my wife's art supplies and try drawing Batman for the fun of it. So I went to my books, found a picture that I thought I could handle and partially did it, partially just did my own thing. Can you guess the artist I pulled inspiration from?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8yDkIyIQAIm78O.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

David Mazzucchelli!

It looks really cool

Most people watch sports as they happen though, because they are sold and marketed as a live event. The final score will be in the morning papers and the news networks. You can't say the same for comics, given that most people end up reading the collected editions.

A comic book story has a much longer shelf life, the collected edition won't even be out until the end of the year. You'll have to wait longer again if you wait for the paperback.

tim1138

B8yDkIyIQAIm78O.jpg

Hmm, either Henri Matisse, Mark Rothko, or Ian Bertram. :D

"Super Bowl 49 Champs Are..."

This is still courteous toward those who have yet to watch, while giving those who have a place to discuss. You can't rationalize spoilers, and it was clearly a problem to the point where a mod changed the title.

Edouard Manet

In a perfect internet world...

I agree it's something to strive for, I'm definitely not promoting spoilers, I just think people are too sensitive toward them. There's likely no intimate detail you could tell me about the copy of Peter Panzerfaust a friend got me for my birthday that would keep me from reading and enjoying it. If I thought there was I wouldn't click on this thread.

Most people watch sports as they happen though, because they are sold and marketed as a live event. The final score will be in the morning papers and the news networks. You can't say the same for comics, given that most people end up reading the collected editions.

A comic book story has a much longer shelf life, the collected edition won't even be out until the end of the year. You'll have to wait longer again if you wait for the paperback.

Well, if you want to get technical, comic books are considered periodicals :D

Well, if you want to get technical, comic books are considered periodicals :D

That's not now most people consume them though, except crazies like us.

This whole mess has pushed me to learn how subscriptions work. Done with the amount of GAFcruft there is these days. The only thread I'll really miss is weekly box office, because that's always fun.

Cheska

I really wish more people had read The Movement when it was out. Gail Simone excels at team based books generally, and she pretty much nailed it with this series.

Yo, hand that to your wife and say in a low, menacing voice "you have eaten well".
Heh, I would just get a weird look.
That's awesome Korupt!!

Thanks!

That's one of my all time favorite batman panels so it was easy to recognize. Cool stuff.

It was the first book I went to. It was the panel I had in mind when I was staring into space. I remember reading it and seeing that panel and thinking it was so simple, yet very powerful. Batman silhouette is the best.

Top Bottom