• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

AC06.jpg

Spike Spiegal pls explain this dialog friend

filthy western comics bereft of the near Shakespearean quality writing in my superior japanese manga.

filthy western comics bereft of the near Shakespearean quality writing in my superior japanese manga.

The point you made in that OT thread, about the retcon being a red herring that no one will remember because they don't read comics, made me so angry at the hypothetical situation that I threw up on a baby,

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just read the first issue of Daredevil that Samnee drew. Man, I'm in for a treat with the rest of the run. He's too good.

Read a few chapters of Doom Patrol today. Tried playing a videogame, couldn't get into it. Stared off into space and decided I was gonna go grab my wife's art supplies and try drawing Batman for the fun of it. So I went to my books, found a picture that I thought I could handle and partially did it, partially just did my own thing. Can you guess the artist I pulled inspiration from?

Looks great! When I saw it, I knew immediately which panel it was influenced by, but even still you've definitely put your own creativity into it to make it unique. Nice job!

Also, glad to hear you're still loving Doom Patrol! That underground issue was pretty nuts.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I am curious what the people would say about the Manga adaptions of Batman, Spider-Man, etc.

Anybody who hates Batmanga has no soul.
Was not aware of Spider-Man manga though. Does it have an English translation?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Anybody who hates Batmanga has no soul.
Was not aware of Spider-Man manga though. Does it have an English translation?
Spider-Clan had a german translation, since the german retailer just translates english stuff, I think so... But I think there is no collected edition, just single issues, at least I found nothing as I tried to hunt it down a couple of months ago.

Edit: OK, there was a 1971-1972 Run, too... But seems like this isnt collected, too.

I am curious what the people would say about the Manga adaptions of Batman, Spider-Man, etc.

Let me be clear, I've got no problems with manga. I just don't really like being talked down to in a "WAKE UP SHEEPLE!" style like many manga peeps seem to do. I think there's a lot less of a gap between a Batman and a One Piece, Bleach or Naruto, at least in intent. I have to believe mangas like those are stretched out because of $$$. I also don't think restarts are a weakness of comics, in fact to me they are a strength. I like that I can dip in and out, I don't want to read 700+ chapters of ANYTHING. I have enough trouble keeping up with Order of the Stick since that went daily. I can't imagine tackling a big manga or something like Homestuck.

It's like that conversation I had with a friend last September:
Him: "So, what did you do for the Summer?"
Me: "Well, I read a lot of comics, finished half-a-dozen games in online co-op with friends, DMed a Pathfinder campaign, finally caught up on Game of Thrones, learned Python and a bunch of other stuff,"
Him: "Pfft, nerd. Me? I watched ALL OF ONE PIECE!"
Me: "Wat."
Him: "Yeah, at one stage I was watching ten episodes a day."

I was just dumbfounded. People are free to like what they like. It's a video game forum, we're all nerds here, some people are just better at hiding it than others.

God I hate the OT. Putting batman spoilers in thread titles. Waiting two months to read DC comics is dicey but screw people like that. don't they have some ultra liberal war to fight?

If you go into non ComicGAF sanctioned threads in the OT you're gonna have a bad time.

Its always a bunch of people who read comics for like a year and haven't touched them since they bitch and moan about how terrible comics are.

And how did that work out for you?

I got up early and to target at about 7 45. Short line of like 15, and they got like 40 in. Some folks were buying 2, but fuck that I needed 1 I bought 1.

LOL, ten 22 minute episodes a day? What a lightweight.

That's too much, man. I would have to go for a long walk after like two. Even when I'm on the PC I end up pacing the room almost constantly, but them's the breaks of being an Aspie.

I'm just not really one for watching something passively, it's why I can't deal with how long movies are nowadays. We had to go to Dublin for the last two Hobbits because one of the lads was adamant about seeing it in IMAX, and about halfway through Smaug I felt like my chest was going to burst between the nervous energy and the booming speakers. Actually had the shakes on the train home. To be fair, getting a huge coffee because the place had a Costa Coffee built-in (it was a novelty, the local cinema here has only four screens, this place has four FLOORS) and going to coffee tastings that morning was probably a bad idea.

Damn, I want coffee now and it's like half 9 at night here.

Shards |OT| February 2015. Causes 40% less desruction of comics than Kipp |OT|

Messi

If you go into non ComicGAF sanctioned threads in the OT you're gonna have a bad time.

Its always a bunch of people who read comics for like a year and haven't touched them since they bitch and moan about how terrible comics are.

I got up early and to target at about 7 45. Short line of like 15, and they got like 40 in. Some folks were buying 2, but fuck that I needed 1 I bought 1.

The spoiler was right in the title :(

Zombine

Banned
Just read through The Dying & The Dead #1.

It was good. Didn't blow me away or anything but I'm definitely in for an arc. Issue #1 leaves you with a lot of questions about
how the main character met the white people
, but I'm sure they'll answer that eventually. I think this book will end up like East & West. You'll either love it or hate it.

Main character's head does look like a thumb though.

I would do bad things for a Rosalina scaled figure. Even just 1/8.

For a 1/6, I would do horrible, horrible things.

PsychBat!

Banned
Just read through The Dying & The Dead #1.

It was good. Didn't blow me away or anything but I'm definitely in for an arc. Issue #1 leaves you with a lot of questions about
how the main character met the white people
, but I'm sure they'll answer that eventually. I think this book will end up like East & West. You'll either love it or hate it.

Main character's head does look like a thumb though.
Well, it's a Hickman book. So, we're in for a ride either way I guess.

Top Bottom