• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

So I hear IST is really quick with picking and shipping orders?

mJC9XVA.png

Well I ordered some books about 24 hours ago and...

I'm still waiting for an order I made last week.

It seems the last Mind MGMT HC must have sold out or something.

Edit: Ha, I was looking at the last page thinking it was this page

VanWinkle

I'm reading through The Goon Library Edition Vol 2, and man, I just LOVE the way Eric Powell draws faces. They always look unique and identifiable, and they just have a nice art style to them.

VanWinkle

He draws a lot of hooligan faces.

He draws a wide variety, as seen in the post. You see the more stereotypical type in the group shot, which are a bunch of the Goon's friends (and even those have pretty good variety), and then you see less stereotypical character designs in the other shots. He's a great artist.

Owzers

Xenoblade X is fizzling out so much that i think i'd rather read comics than play more. Chapter 6 was awful,
a huge army of enemy mechs and stuff were coming towards NULA and your mission was to fight two or three at a time for three minutes while scripted random fake firing was taking place in the background? A pathetic excuse for a "grand"moment with too much back and forth quests in between.

He draws a wide variety, as seen in the post. You see the more stereotypical type in the group shot, which are a bunch of the Goon's friends (which even those have pretty good variety), and then you see less stereotypical character designs in the other shots. He's a great artist.

I've never read the series before, but I'm interested. I just have so much unread stuff as it is.

VanWinkle

I've never read the series before, but I'm interested. I just have so much unread stuff as it is.

I took a bit of a risk when I bought the first library edition, but I got it when Amazon was doing 30% off one book and I had a bit of credit, so I got it for like $11 or something. I LOVED it. It was hilarious, heartwarming at times, with great art and tons of extra content. So it kind of a made me an instant purchaser of all the library editions from now on. It also has so much variety it's insane. You may be reading an issue where the Goon is fighting some insane creatures with the help of Santa Claus, then you'll get to some fake advertisement, and then a Sunday comic style newsstrip, etc.

Like, right now, I am reading this first issue in the new volume, and it's this thing about the Goon trying to round up a football team for this guy, and out of nowhere we get a little two-page comic about a fictional hero named the Atomic Rage (who there were a few fake ads about throughout the first volume).

Anyway, I recommend it to anybody. It's amazing.

Owzers

DCBS order time questions:

How did Twilight Children and Unfollow turn out? Both trades are half off. How was the 1990s Peter David Supergirl? Is Twilight Children only a four issue mini? That might be better for cmx sales than trade.

Dalek

Worst X-Man Ever was pretty awesome when all was said and done-particularly the last issue. Pretty mind bending actually and I loved the actual
Worst X-Men Table

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
DCBS order time questions:

How did Twilight Children and Unfollow turn out? Both trades are half off. How was the 1990s Peter David Supergirl? Is Twilight Children only a four issue mini? That might be better for cmx sales than trade.

Have not read it myself but from what I've heard about it on podcasts. it sounds weird, confusing, and ambiguous.

I can only imagine how mind-blowing the reveal of "Xorn was Magneto!" must have been back in the day.

Now, though, it just really doesn't make sense

Just reread Nowhere Men #1-6 so I am up todate before I read #7.... fawking love this book.
Sooooo curious and pretty excited to see where this is going.

What are the best Batman comics to read?
I've started with "Year One" , "A death in the family", "Arkham Asylum", "The killing joke". Long halloween and The return of the dark knight are on my list. Anything else?
Hush is worth it? And what about The Court of howls?

Dalek

I've started with "Year One" , "A death in the family", "Arkham Asylum", "The killing joke". Long halloween and The return of the dark knight are on my list. Anything else?

Court of Owls is much better than Court of Howls.

You can really just start with Court of Owls and keep reading-that's the start of the New 52 and every story from that book is great.

Busaiku

I'm surprised Mr. Slott is doing Dead No More as his first big thing.
I figured it'd be the send off for the current volume like Goblin Nation was for Superior Spider-Man.

I guess Mason Banks will be the final boss again.

New X-Men: Ultimate Collection Vol. 3

So this was, uh, not great. I know Morrison's run is praised high and low by X-Men and comic fans alike, and for awhile I would have joined that praise. However, I'm not going to do that now. Not today. This trade, I feel like, is the very epitome of "the third act went to shit." Assault on Weapon Plus was a fine arc, though I wasn't a fan of Bachalo's art. It was fine. A nice dip into Wolverine's history (even though we didn't actually learn anything), and some decent action. But then, well... Planet X is another story.

It's not good. Let's start off with the basics; Jimenez's art is bad. Like, just bad. It's stiff, and poor, and his faces are bad, it's just...it's not great. The dialogue just seems...look, I can only read Beak and Basilisk and crazy-ass Magneto dialogue for so long before I feel like I've just had a stroke. Now, the reveal of Magneto being Xorn is...well, it could have been cool, let's say that. So, Mags plan to completely reverse the world's poles is to, and I love this, drive humanity to extinction and "rewire" the mutant brain? How...what? I get that Magneto is crazy at this point, since he's been doing Kick for at least half a year, but what the hell? Why would he be doing Kick in the first place? Explicitly so he could pretend to be Xorn and infiltrate the Xavier Institute? What? Why? What?

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The Mags I know wouldn't have done that. He knows Cassie Nova did that, not humans. He could blame humans for the Sentinels existing, but considering Nova salvaged her own Master Mold factory out in the middle of the Amazon rain forest and built the most ghetto Sentinels ever, It's probably not a reasonable option. It's so baffling to me that Magneto would do Kick, just to imitate Xorn (which required him to construct a helmet capable of making his mind appear as if it were a star), a persona which was used to recruit the special ed. class into creating the shittiest army ever, in order to create "Planet X." Also, I'm glad EVERY OTHER SUPERHERO ON THE PLANET just ignored the X-Men and was somehow fooled by five phone call bomb threats by Magneto. And then they couldn't penetrate his shield, because Mags on Kick is broke as fuck, apparently. I'm also glad they feel the need to remind the reader that Xavier is naked in his tank. Pretty sure it got brought up at least three times. So then, we get near the end of the arc, and just as everything's snapping and falling apart, the X-Men appear to succeed...and then Magneto gives Jean (possessed by the Phoenix) a "planetary-sized stroke." What's that mean exactly? Jean dies.

So then we get to the Tomorrow arc, wherein we have what appears to be Dark Beast: The White Album playing Mister Sinister and creating a bunch of genetically cobbled together clones (Crawlers) chasing down the Phoenix Egg. Said Egg is protected by Hogarth and Vin Diesel as they run away from said Crawlers, are saved by EVA (because Fantomex is dead), and eventually Tito. Tito, Beak's grandchild. The Egg ends up stolen and then Mister Sini-I mean White Beast resurrects the Phoenix, uses her to murderhouse an entire bug colony whilst splicing himself with Phoenix DNA. He then causes all remaining mutants to kill each other, murders the last remaining Scottish whale, and then tries to kill everything else. The X-Men, consisting of Hogarth and Vin Diesel, EVA (the three of whom form a devastatingly impassioned love triangle), Tito (Beak's grandchild), Wolverine (healing factor = eternity), the Stepford Cuckoos (who I guess are still alive), Cassandra Nova (it's not explained very well), and Martha (also not explained very well). Logan reveals to Phoenix Jean that it's been Sublime the whole time, since Sublime was Kick, Beast did Kick, then Sublime Beast took over the world somehow. Jean puts Sublime in a box after removing it from Beast, and uses box to restore the universe, while a whole pantheon of Phoenixes watch her.

So yeah, I'm not sure on a lot of things. The final arc is better than the previous arcs because of Silvestri's art, but other than that it's just a very rushed, half-baked idea that, in true Morrison fashion, you either get it or you don't. Not much more than that. Sublime can apparently jack up a person's powers to the extreme, allowing them to single-handedly destabilize the world. Morrison's run was good for about two-thirds of it, and then it went completely nuts near the end. And making Sublime the mastermind behind everything, including Wolverine's creation, doesn't make any sense. And how everyone all of a sudden knows who Fantomex is. I may have missed something, but before the Planet X arc, the only X-Men who had met Fantomex were Scott, Logan, Jean, and Professor Xavier.

All in all, I enjoyed Morrison's run, and I think it's worth reading to anyone who wants to get in to X-Men or to any self-proclaimed X-Men fan. However, I think it completely crashes and burns near the end, and that's sad. I do plan on reading it again, and then maybe I'll "get it" better in the future than I have now. For now though, this particular volume was not good, and at the very least, Planet X sucks hard.

Owzers

*waits until tomorrow when Secret Wars #9 arrives to fully judge it*

So far it's been fun enough, but i'd hardly call it a good book. I don't want to keep saying " good for an event", it's such a sad phrase. There's nothing about Secret Wars that makes it stand out from the better stuff I read and comparing it to trash like AXIS and Original Sin is depressing. Just looking at two moments through issue #8,
that are pretty much the same, Cyclops talks a little then Doom immediately kills him, then in issue #8, Thanos gives a little talk and Doom immediately kills him. Does this show how powerful Doom is or does it make the book feel like it's lacking substance? The event is starting to feel like a storyboard rundown to the finish and not some spectacle i'm enjoying. Doom is the Roman Reigns of the Marvel Universe, gotta make him look strong

Busaiku

Mr. Hickman planned Secret Wars for almost a decade.
Mr. Alonso flat out stated that they're going into this with almost no prep time.

Mad Love is really good, something I'd recommend to anyone really.

If you want to check out more modern stuff, check out Batman and Son and The Black Mirror.

Top Bottom