• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

What events would you say were well received in general?
For events in the past 15 years for Marvel:

Events are mostly meh with some really terrible ones mixed in. Usually, they tend to mess up with good things

Uncanny Avengers -> Sixis
JMS Thor -> Siege
Bru Cap -> Reborn
Planet Hulk -> WWH

I'd rank Marvel events as follows

Good/Great
Secret Wars
Infinity
House of M
Spider-Island

Average, probably
Civil War
Siege
Secret Invasion

Forgettable
Avengers vs X-Men
Reborn
WWH
Ellis's Ultimate Trilogy
Cataclysm

BAD
Axis
Original Sin
Age of Ultron
Fear Itself
Shadowland
Ultimatum

What are peoples views on Mirror? Lim's art totally drew me in on the Image promo, though when I read the sample panels I found it a little hard to follow.

It looks pretty gorgeous and dreamlike though.
I havent read it but the previews reminds me a lot of Dustin Nguyen's art on Descender which is cool. I

Owzers

Hearthstone was a mistake, nothing but trash until Standard comes to save everything.

I would rather play MTGO at this point, and the current version of that looks like it escaped from 1998.

i think it was your post on the hearthstone forums, but playing ranked makes me anxious too, so much winning pressure or my stars are destroyed. I think Standard will help make things less annoying because a lot of the cards that make me swear will be gone, but i'm sure other awful stuff will take their place because i'm not sure Blizzard learns. Time to play more aggro paladin tonight!

I just realized that Pretty Deadly premiered in October of 2013 and just now hit issue #8. Hot damn. Puts Fraction's Hawkeye into perspective for me.

i think it was your post on the hearthstone forums, but playing ranked makes me anxious too, so much winning pressure or my stars are destroyed. I think Standard will help make things less annoying because a lot of the cards that make me swear will be gone, but i'm sure other awful stuff will take their place because i'm not sure Blizzard learns. Time to play more aggro paladin tonight!

Yep, I am that guy that gets ladder anxiety. As soon as I hit 15 or so, I'm gone. Can't handle it at all. It's like this for any laddering game, and in life in general because I'm an anxious person from a family of born worriers, but it's worse in solo games. Team games, I have a team of people I know to carry me to mediocrity. Which sucks, as I generally prefer 1 vs. 1 games to team games.

HS is worse, because in other games like Street Fighter, I know I suck and I know how to improve. I don't know how good I really am at Hearthstone, because of how much RNG and swingyness there is in the game. I think some people overstate it, but it is definitely a factor. I use Deck Tracker, and I have around a 68% winrate, but the sample size is too small for that to be a factor. I also have a losing record against Priest and Shaman over my last 100 games, they're the weakest classes in Constructed!

What unites every deck that was eventually nerfed is that it gave people the ability to win games they'd no right to win. The pre-Naxx Hunter was the worst. Ahead, with big board? Nope, fuck you, Buzzard -> Timber Wolf -> Unleash, now I have five 2/1 chargers and I drew 6 cards for 6 mana.

Events are mostly meh with some really terrible ones mixed in. Usually, they tend to mess up with good things

JMS Thor -> Siege
Bru Cap -> Reborn
Planet Hulk -> WWH

Good/Great
Secret Wars
Infinity
House of M
Spider-Island

Average, probably
Civil War
Siege
Secret Invasion

Forgettable
Avengers vs X-Men
Reborn
WWH
Ellis's Ultimate Trilogy
Cataclysm

BAD
Axis
Original Sin
Age of Ultron
Fear Itself
Shadowland
Ultimatum

I havent read it but the previews reminds me a lot of Dustin Nguyen's art on Descender which is cool. I

Secret Invasion should be in BAD, it's garbage past the first issue.

Newbie comic question for IDW TMNT readers.

So I picked up vol 1 and 2 of the trades but I've read of miniseries in between every so many volumes (based on wikipedia's release list). What is the correct order to read these in? Do I read the full miniseries between each volume or do the issues offset each other (ie main ch. 4 followed by mini ch. 1 back to main ch. 5 and 6 to mini ch. 2 etc)? Am I being too anal haha? I just want to read them in the correct order.

TheFlow

Banned

So I picked up vol 1 and 2 of the trades but I've read of miniseries in between every so many volumes (based on wikipedia's release list). What is the correct order to read these in? Do I read the full miniseries between each volume or do the issues offset each other (ie main ch. 4 followed by mini ch. 1 back to main ch. 5 and 6 to mini ch. 2 etc)? Am I being too anal haha? I just want to read them in the correct order.
I just skip the mini series

What are peoples views on Mirror? Lim's art totally drew me in on the Image promo, though when I read the sample panels I found it a little hard to follow.

It looks pretty gorgeous and dreamlike though.
Haven't read it myself but the art looks nice. Not sure if anyone here picked it up.

Quick google search found this reading guide which seems to lay things out pretty clearly.

For the most part, it's not really a big deal IMO. I've read volumes 1-8 without really touching the side stuff and I haven't had any huge issues. Then again, I'm not so sensitive about this kind of stuff so I don't know if I'm really the best judge lol

TheFlow

Banned
I am going to buy all the tmnt volumes that are on sale then just catch up by issue.

I don't care for any of the mini series

I am going to buy all the tmnt volumes that are on sale then just catch up by issue.

The Micro-Series? If I recall, one or two of them were pretty interesting, but they're mostly skippable. I do highly suggest you read Secret History of the Foot Clan, though. That shit was ace.

Boogiepop

Darn you all skipping the side series! I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but those are equally important to the plot and equally as good for the most part! Hell, the first batch of the Micro-Series give you the intros for both
Harold and Alopex
, both whom are pretty significant in the series as a whole. I think Bebop and Rocksteady may first come from those too, but I'm not sure I'm remembering that 100% clearly. Like, I'm sure you CAN get by without them, and by all means you'd be fine skipping some later stuff like the Ghostbusters crossover and maaaaybe Mutanimals (but that's too recent to say and may well become important down the road) (oh, and the annuals are 100% skippable and I'd recommend most people do so unless you're also a big old TMNT fan, as they're pretty much like old TMNT stories that happen to take place in new continuity because of the way they're made). But I feel like you're doing yourself a disservice by not reading them as they're great and totally important to the series.

(I should really make a copy/paste for this rant because I think this is like the fifth time I've typed something like this in response to the TMNT "side series" stuff on here).

MG310

Mark Brooks' A-force cover...going to have to get a print from him

12650960_10154292242775715_9142069012807432949_n.jpg

Darn you all skipping the side series! I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but those are equally important to the plot and equally as good for the most part! Hell, the first batch of the Micro-Series give you the intros for both
Harold and Alopex
, both whom are pretty significant in the series as a whole. I think Bebop and Rocksteady may first come from those too, but I'm not sure I'm remembering that 100% clearly. Like, I'm sure you CAN get by without them, and by all means you'd be fine skipping some later stuff like the Ghostbusters crossover and maaaaybe Mutanimals (but that's too recent to say and may well become important down the road) (oh, and the annuals are 100% skippable and I'd recommend most people do so unless you're also a big old TMNT fan, as they're pretty much like old TMNT stories that happen to take place in new continuity because of the way they're made). But I feel like you're doing yourself a disservice by not reading them as they're great and totally important to the series.

(I should really make a copy/paste for this rant because I think this is like the fifth time I've typed something like this in response to the TMNT "side series" stuff on here).

Quick google search found this reading guide which seems to lay things out pretty clearly.

For the most part, it's not really a big deal IMO. I've read volumes 1-8 without really touching the side stuff and I haven't had any huge issues. Then again, I'm not so sensitive about this kind of stuff so I don't know if I'm really the best judge lol

Thanks, folks. I appreciate that reader's guide and the strong opinion FOR the micro series. Now to track those down...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hate me now, but when Messi makes me assistant editor of Comics-GAF after taking notice of my many Harley and Olivia related posts....things are going to change around here.

I wish you were dead
in my Darkest Dungeon run

You need to read The Secret History of the Foot Clan. It's got important info on Shredder's past and serves as the prologue to City Fall. I want the oversized HC Artists Edition of that book so bad.

Owzers

The Democratic debate tonight was pretty good but not one question about comic book relaunches and how many is too many. A little disappointed.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hawkeye #22 - Satisfying ending to an amazing run.
Pizzadog
death tease was heartbreaking if not predictable, glad they didn't do it. Fuck that clown.

Bro.

Time to read more Red Lanterns! I do so enjoy this book. Except for Rankorr. Fuck Rankorr.
The same guy who just got done writing Uncanny, All New X-men and Miles-Man. Currently on one of the best ANAD books.
I wouldn't use ANXM as a point. It bottoms out near the end. The Ultimate Adventure arc was so just not good, and also complete filler. Just an excuse for Bendis to pair up the O5 with Miles, which I would have been fine with had it been plot relevant at all.
Late to this, but I'd definitely recommend Court of Owls. Hush is okay, Heart of Hush is better, but ultimately the character kind of feels... same-y in all of their appearances and storylines. It's like Bane's problem, where he's stuck in an infinite retelling of Knightfall, but moreso because even Bane has some cool stuff outside of that. Hush has pretty much one move.

Court of Owls is fantastic stuff, as is the rest of the New 52 run.
Secret Six is the best thing that's ever been done with Bane post-Knightfall.

JMS Thor -> Siege
Bru Cap -> Reborn
Planet Hulk -> WWH

Good/Great
Secret Wars
Infinity
House of M
Spider-Island

Average, probably
Civil War
Siege
Secret Invasion

Forgettable
Avengers vs X-Men
Reborn
WWH
Ellis's Ultimate Trilogy
Cataclysm

BAD
Axis
Original Sin
Age of Ultron
Fear Itself
Shadowland
Ultimatum

You're forgetting a few events, and I will never not be enraged that Axis went down the way it did. It would have been such a perfect capstone to Remender's saga.
Mark Brooks' A-force cover...going to have to get a print from him
I want that as a poster.
I hate you so much

Well that's violent

Mindwipe

JMS Thor -> Siege
Bru Cap -> Reborn
Planet Hulk -> WWH

Good/Great
Secret Wars
Infinity
House of M
Spider-Island

Average, probably
Civil War
Siege
Secret Invasion

Forgettable
Avengers vs X-Men
Reborn
WWH
Ellis's Ultimate Trilogy
Cataclysm

BAD
Axis
Original Sin
Age of Ultron
Fear Itself
Shadowland
Ultimatum

Nah. I'd knock House of M down at least one, and bump up WWH and Original Sin up to average. As disappointing as Axis was, I don't think it's any worse than AvX.

Obi-Wan and Anakin's turning into a solid mini-series. I love the setting and the idea of the Open/Closed clans. The new creature designs are really nice too.

Xis

After some googling:

Prelude is the lead-in stories; contains: Collects Incredible Hulk #88-91; Hulk Handbook 2004. Not essential.

The other two books have almost identical contents:
Collects Incredible Hulk #92-105, Giant-Size Hulk #1

The first book (just labeled "Planet Hulk") also has these extras, and is probably the one you should get:
"Mastermind Excello" story from Amazing Fantasy #15, maps, character designs.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
After some googling:

Prelude is the lead-in stories; contains: Collects Incredible Hulk #88-91; Hulk Handbook 2004. Not essential.

The other two books have almost identical contents:
Collects Incredible Hulk #92-105, Giant-Size Hulk #1

The first book (just labeled "Planet Hulk") also has these extras, and is probably the one you should get:
"Mastermind Excello" story from Amazing Fantasy #15, maps, character designs.

Cheers! Thanks!

Harold and Alopex

Thanks, folks. I appreciate that reader's guide and the strong opinion FOR the micro series. Now to track those down...

I coincidentally made a post endorsing the side series without having seen this exchange. The microseries may seem like a drag, but they are all very good, and the Casey micro and Secret History are must-read. That's the best I can say so far.

Mafro

Didn't Secret Wars have all the hallmarks of another shitty Marvel event?
All the signs pointed to no for anyone with a bit of common sense.

Hickman (by far the best writer at Marvel at the time) writing it
His previous event, Infinity, was the best Marvel crossover event in years
Avengers and New Avengers runs were fantastic
Meticulously planned, with plot elements set up all the way back in his Fantastic Four/FF run.

You're forgetting a few events, and I will never not be enraged that Axis went down the way it did. It would have been such a perfect capstone to Remender's saga.
Still pisses me off that editorial messed with that and had it spun out into a crossover instead of just being the final Uncanny Avengers ark.

Top Bottom