• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

Mavel-Coke

1TlKezW.jpg

All the signs pointed to no for anyone with a bit of common sense.

Hickman (by far the best writer at Marvel at the time) writing it
His previous event, Infinity, was the best Marvel crossover event in years
Avengers and New Avengers runs were fantastic
Meticulously planned, with plot elements set up all the way back in his Fantastic Four/FF run.

Still pisses me off that editorial messed with that and had it spun out into a crossover instead of just being the final Uncanny Avengers ark.

I would say, despite all the goodwill Hickman had built up over his FF and Avengers runs, the fact that this was an event leading into a reboot killed a lot of that.

The ending to Vision #4 was something. Amazing book.

Yeah, the book is definitely much darker in tone than I thought it would be when it was announced, but it has been a pure joy to read. I'm glad it's set to be a 12 issue series, though. A lot of books go on for too long and it ends up dragging them down. Quality can only be maintained for so long before the story wavers. Then we end up with things like Race of Thieves. But then, the quality was never in the Nocenti Catwoman run to begin with.

Tizoc

Bleh only Vision #4 for me this week, stopped following Howard the Duck but will catch up with the TPB.
When's the next James Bond issue coming out?

That's a good call. Dark Prelude is okay, but not core. Dark Cybertron is really not very good but the events of MTMTE Volume 6 would not make much sense without it.

Could someone check something for me? Transformers Volume 6: Police Action is in the sale, but in the UK at least it's £5.49, which is a lot compared to the others given it's the shortest trade. Is it more expensive than the others on the US site too, or a cockup?

Dark Prelude IS core!
It contains the Trailcutter one shot that explains where they got
the Metroplex finger from that reappears in Dark Cybertron

I need guidance on matters involving this Transformers IDW sale.

Sure thing! Here's my reading order, hope I'm not late with it :X
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171788347&postcount=463

Accidentally left sub on Marvel Unlimited and read Paul Jenkins run on Inhumans.
This shit was awesome. It is pretty much Game Of Thrones with the Inhuman royal family and I want to read way more after it. I now see the Inhuman light.

Tizoc

Not at all! Appreciate the input. I haven't started reading any yet, but I'll see if it's for me and if I'll buy more before the sale ends.

If you like Hellboy you will like this comic too; where Hellboy excels with characters progressing the story and characterization, so too does Transformers MTMTE.

Nah. I'd knock House of M down at least one, and bump up WWH and Original Sin up to average. As disappointing as Axis was, I don't think it's any worse than AvX.
I hate read OS. I'm a big fan of Aaron's work but eesh. I still don't know why it was supposed to be important.

AvX was just all over the place and at least served as fight fodder.

You're forgetting a few events, and I will never not be enraged that Axis went down the way it did. It would have been such a perfect capstone to Remender's saga.
Yeah I haven't read all the events. Only listed the ones I remember. Even then I haven't read Secret Invasion in like 7 years.

Scud: The Disposable Assassin #10 - #15, Drywall: Unzipped - This continues to be irreverant, hilarious and really really inventive. I was enjoying it a lot! But
the rather casually depicted rape, followed by a child abuse fact thrown out as an off hand comment
was a little bit off putting. As were the
"Nicholson looked gay"
statements a couple of issues later. I don't know what Schrab was going for. Sarcasm or shock value or whether he thought this was a quick way of "fleshing out the character", it didn't work at all for me.

And surprisingly, all this was in stark contrast to how relatively sensitively written Drywall: Unzipped was.

Is anyone into the new run of Doctor Strange? I'm new to comics, but not to animated features and the like, so being a fan of this character, I thought I'd start with the new stuff. Anyone else? Any other quintessential Doc Strange stuff that you'd recommend?

Owzers

Is anyone into the new run of Doctor Strange? I'm new to comics, but not to animated features and the like, so being a fan of this character, I thought I'd start with the new stuff. Anyone else? Any other quintessential Doc Strange stuff that you'd recommend?

Doctor Strange's new book seems fairly popular around here, you should give it a try. I'm still not completely sold on the plot but i do like Bachalo's art a lot.

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend it. It's the first Doctor Strange comic I've read and I've really enjoyed the first four issues.

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend it. It's the first Doctor Strange comic I've read and I've really enjoyed the first four issues.

I didn't word my post well at all. I'm actually on the fifth issue of the new run, and really enjoying it. Any back issue story arcs that are "can't miss" for the doc?

Well, I've just read the issue of the Avengers where Ultron gets his first reveal. I think.

Jarvis is in need of money for an operation for his Mother. Yet, despite working for one of the wealthiest men in America, he decides to gather a bunch of has-been Villains... I mean even for Marvel this is dumb.

*sees Zack Snyder's comments about Superman*

"Anyone who knows the true canon knows I didn't change Superman"

*blinks furiously at the notion of there being a true canon* remembers that they had a speech that went most of the way to defining Superman at the start of the film*

giphy.gif

Anyhoo...time to jump aboard the Hawkeye bookclub.

Yeah I haven't read all the events. Only listed the ones I remember. Even then I haven't read Secret Invasion in like 7 years.
I was gonna say both Secret Wars events prior to this one and Infinity Gauntlet. Plus there's Age of Apocalypse and Atlantis Rising.
The Oath
Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom: Triumph & Torment
Strange: The Doctor is Out
Isn't Dr. Strange: Season One supposed to be really good?
Well, I've just read the issue of the Avengers where Ultron gets his first reveal. I think.

Jarvis is in need of money for an operation for his Mother. Yet, despite working for one of the wealthiest men in America, he decides to gather a bunch of has-been Villains... I mean even for Marvel this is dumb.
The best in storytelling

ElNarez

Banned
*sees Zack Snyder's comments about Superman*

"Anyone who knows the true canon knows I didn't change Superman"

*blinks furiously at the notion of there being a true canon* remembers that they had a speech that went most of the way to defining Superman at the start of the film*

I have no idea what canon he could be referring to, because I can't remember a time when Superman just fucking gave up and snapped a neck, like "welp, I tried everything, so I'm gonna get my necksnap on".

I have no idea what canon he could be referring to, because I can't remember a time when Superman just fucking gave up and snapped a neck, like "welp, I tried everything, so I'm gonna get my necksnap on".

Lol, exactly. Part of me isn't annoyed about it because it's not like it is literally comic Superman or whatever favorite incarnation people have...but it just feels so...

Lol, exactly. Part of me isn't annoyed about it because it's not like it is literally comic Superman or whatever favorite incarnation people have...but it just feels so...

I always took it as creative license on what made Superman feel so strongly about not killing after he did that.

ElNarez

Banned

Like, every other thing people say about destruction or whatever is kinda complete bullshit, because shit gets hella destroyed in big comic fights all the time and it makes for the kind of big visual spectacle Snyder is super good at.

But Superman doesn't just give up and snap a dude's neck. That's what the Phantom Zone is for, dangit.

Vyer

mmmm Dr Pepper

I miss soda

Also, anyone have good recommendations on the Spotlight/one shot issues from that Transformers sale?

This may be the first time in the history of ever I've agreed with a Rob Bricken article on io9.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/reminder-the-big-bang-theory-is-the-goddamned-worst-1757309432

Warning: contains the awful, awful TV show Big Bang Theory shitting on Vaughan and Staples' Saga comic.

They didn't shit on it, but I do find the irony of folks on the Internet like Bricken losing their shit like that over that sitcom to be rather amusing.

Superman killed, and his regret over that was a fairly big characteristic of post Crisis supes for a while.

Messi

Yo this Spidey book is the best Spidey book in a while. Granted it's just rehashing his teen years but it's great and the art is amazing.

Since nerds can't handle a cover that shows breastfeeding maybe it would be better to have the next cover be a dragon sucking his own dick. Gotta keep it family friendly right?

I don't ever plan to collect statues but that spider gwen reveal got me hype.

The bishoujo line from Kotobukiya is a relatively cheap alternative to the vast majority of figures out there. They generally range for about $55-$70 each, and for the price-quality ratio, they can't be beat.

TheFlow

Banned
The bishoujo line from Kotobukiya is a relatively cheap alternative to the vast majority of figures out there. They generally range for about $55-$70 each, and for the price-quality ratio, they can't be beat.
I collect a lot of gundam kits that I display so it is more of a space issue than a interest issue.

but is there a good site to buy these statues at?

but is there a good site to buy these statues at?

The usual Japanese shops if you want to get them as soon as they come out. AmiAmi, Hobbysearch, HLJ.

If you're patient, they hit Amazon about a month later. If you're really patient, you can just keep an eye on the price, as most of them will eventually hit $55 on Amazon.

They're pretty widely available and you usually don't have to worry about getting one you want. Kotobukiya's production runs are pretty massive. If you really want one, I'd grab it within the first few months it's out, because once they start to get scarce they seem to shoot up in price pretty drastically. And as much as I love these, I wouldn't pay more than $100 for any one statue.

TheFlow

Banned
The usual Japanese shops if you want to get them as soon as they come out. AmiAmi, Hobbysearch, HLJ.

If you're patient, they hit Amazon about a month later. If you're really patient, you can just keep an eye on the price, as most of them will eventually hit $55 on Amazon.

They're pretty widely available and you usually don't have to worry about getting one you want. Kotobukiya's production runs are pretty massive. If you really want one, I'd grab it within the first few months it's out, because once they start to get scarce they seem to shoot up in price pretty drastically. And as much as I love these, I wouldn't pay more than $100 for any one statue.
Ahh Ty, I will look more into this.

Top Bottom