• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Just don't play Hearthstone in the hot sun with an apple cover attached....mine got too hot and faded the casing side the magnetic cover was attached to. I thought there was never a bad time to play hearthstone....

That shouldn't be a problem. :)

Still in the middle of my paper-purge, but eyeballing one of these myself. Did you get the wifi/cellular model or wifi-only?

Wifi-only.

Best Buy has them for $100 off and I have a $100 gift card from X-mas.

Strayer #1
Picked this up purely out of curiosity. Seems alright. The art could be better, but the action feels pretty kinetic, so that's good. Dialogue and plot seem pretty by-the-numbers so far, but it's entertaining enough. Will continue to read.

Joe Golem: Occult Detective #4
And so continues the story of Joe, wherein Simon Church is a dick. I've said it before and I'll say it again: this book is hitting all the right notes for me. The art's great. Dialogue's great. Everything's great. Of course, I'm severely biased because I liked Joe Golem and the Drowning City (something I've said a lot) so much.
Seeing how he was created was a bit new, though.
Sadly, this series must be short-lived. Next issue is the final issue. Naturally I will read it.

A-Force #2
While this book is rather delightful, the action is good, and my girl Medusa is getting her dues, something about this book rubbed me wrong. Problem is, I feel like whatever I'm gonna say is going to place me in the line of fire on "This guy's a dick." Mostly because I can't seem to pinpoint what bothers me. It feels...pander-y? But to like, the feminist crowd? I dunno. The rest of this book is firing on all cylinders, so I'll roll with it. Will keep reading.

Sam Wilson: Captain America #6

Well, at least Cap Wolf is gone now.
Woha, Bendis and Maleev on Daredevil & Punisher would be massive.

Would be, however I'll take International Iron Man as a consolation prize. Also RIP my dreams of Marquez being eternal, apparently. Invincible Iron Man won't be the same.

So that newest manga vs. comics thread is... fun...

I subscribed to it, but I haven't bothered to actually go through it yet. I'm sure it's exactly as imagined: a bunch of people refusing to understand that both mediums are effectively the same, only separated by cultural tropes and reading methods?

US comics are more expensive than Japanese comics.

Well they say you get what you pay for.

giphy.gif

God, it's such a silly argument, on both sides. I would probably read more manga if I could handle the right-to-left stuff. It's just that I've been reading comics since I was 3, it's hard to adjust.

I think, these days at least, maybe people put a bit too much of their identity in the media they consume. Mainly because there's very little else out there for the younger generation to attach themselves to. I know I have been guilty of it for lots of my life, but it's something I'm actively seeking to fix. It's mainly because I hate labels though.

Fanboysim is the new opiate of the masses?

Strayer #1
Picked this up purely out of curiosity. Seems alright. The art could be better, but the action feels pretty kinetic, so that's good. Dialogue and plot seem pretty by-the-numbers so far, but it's entertaining enough. Will continue to read.

The colouring on this looks really nice. Does #1 indicate whether they are going for the traditional arc structure or if they are looking at a longer tale?

Fanboysim is the new opiate of the masses?

Doesn't have to be fandom, just media consumption in general. A person may work a job they hate, be unhappy with money/health/relationships/life, but hey at least their taste in film or books is superior to yours.

I think there's something there, in conjunction with the cheapness (he says this in a comics thread, lol) and availability of so much of modern culture, combined with a modern world where a lot of us work in sedentary, monotonous jobs for long hours, many people don't interact with their local communities, lack of privacy/need to be seen in a world where everyone has a camera and a microphone in their back pocket, along with many available ways to document their existence as public record.

Or it's all bollocks. Who really knows?

frye

As someone fairly familiar with both Japanese and American comics it does feel a bit like bizarro land reading some of those posts.

That said, 90% of the time if there's at all a difference between the two it comes down to pacing over [cultural differences/genre diversity/publishing practices/format/availability] -- manga almost always reads "quicker" than American comics.

e: also remember marvel have done two different sets of deadpool #meme variant covers

As someone fairly familiar with both Japanese and American comics it does feel a bit like bizarro land reading some of those posts.

That said, 90% of the time if there's at all a difference between the two it comes down to pacing over [cultural differences/genre diversity/publishing practices/format/availability] -- manga almost always reads "quicker" than American comics.

e: also remember marvel have done two different sets of deadpool #meme variant covers

That's where I stand on the whole topic too. Really if you enjoy the medium, you should be able to find things you like on both sides without any real issues IMO. There's good shit everywhere.

frye

That's where I stand on the whole topic too. Really if you enjoy the medium, you should be able to find things you like on both sides without any real issues IMO. There's good shit everywhere.

yeah, I don't wanna say that there aren't differences because, y'know, there are, but a lot the people who are really in it one or the other seem like they haven't really engaged with the other beyond the really obvious elements

I had a sales meeting in Denver this week, which meant 3-4 hour plane rides, which meant going hard into my back catalog of comics. I'm completely caught up on Southern Bastards now (last thing I read was the first four issues). Man, that series is good. And the next issue is going to be damn good. Now I hope it's actually satisfying and not a long tease (I feel like it could go either way).

I also read all of Batman: Zero Year. I've enjoyed the Snyder run up to this, but they never really felt like great comics. Zero Year was a great comic. So good in fact I stayed up till about 1 or 2 a.m. reading the final issues. That's late for me (I blame Denver messing with my sleep schedule). There was a lot of things going on with this story that put it over the top for me, of course the colors being a major part. Capullo also seemed to step his game up (not that his game was lacking previously), it might have been the colors helping out but I just felt like his art clicked with me more than in the previous arcs. I felt the story had me most engrossed in the middle (Dark City, I believe it was), but it still had me till the end. A lot of people state that Snyder never lands the ending, but I was pretty satisfied with the ending of Zero Year. Also, from what I can remember, no horses were hurt during any of the 12 issues. So that's pretty cool.

I think I'm going to tackle either Sex Criminals or Jason Aaron's Thor next. Me catching up on these back catalogs has made me fall behind on my weekly comics though. Haven't read any from this week, and maybe two or three from last weeks. It never ends, does it?

I had a sales meeting in Denver this week, which meant 3-4 hour plane rides, which meant going hard into my back catalog of comics. I'm completely caught up on Southern Bastards now (last thing I read was the first four issues). Man, that series is good. And the next issue is going to be damn good. Now I hope it's actually satisfying and not a long tease (I feel like it could go either way).

I also read all of Batman: Zero Year. I've enjoyed the Snyder run up to this, but they never really felt like great comics. Zero Year was a great comic. So good in fact I stayed up till about 1 or 2 a.m. reading the final issues. That's late for me (I blame Denver messing with my sleep schedule). There was a lot of things going on with this story that put it over the top for me, of course the colors being a major part. Capullo also seemed to step his game up (not that his game was lacking previously), it might have been the colors helping out but I just felt like his art clicked with me more than in the previous arcs. I felt the story had me most engrossed in the middle (Dark City, I believe it was), but it still had me till the end. A lot of people state that Snyder never lands the ending, but I was pretty satisfied with the ending of Zero Year. Also, from what I can remember, no horses were hurt during any of the 12 issues. So that's pretty cool.

I think I'm going to tackle either Sex Criminals or Jason Aaron's Thor next. Me catching up on these back catalogs has made me fall behind on my weekly comics though. Haven't read any from this week, and maybe two or three from last weeks. It never ends, does it?

Zero Year is possibly my all-time favorite Batman origin story. It's just so unbelievably great. Glad you enjoyed it.

The colouring on this looks really nice. Does #1 indicate whether they are going for the traditional arc structure or if they are looking at a longer tale?

The coloring was done very well. The pencils, though...Anyway, it seems like it's setting up for more of a "long journey to save the world" type of story. If you like those, then I'd pick up the first issue and see if it tickles your fancy.

Busaiku

It's also the panel distribution.
There's a lot more real estate in US stuff, and there's often greater emphasis on the environments at large. Japanese stuff usually focuses more on a couple characters, and backgrounds and stuff are often neglected.

Weiss

Banned
Wait.

Why did nobody tell me the 90s Thunderbolts team was getting reunited, written by Jim Zub?

Why the hell is Songbird in New Avengers. Hand her off to Zub already!

We could see Jolt again! Do you have any idea how hype that is?

Seriously, Busiek/Nicieza Thunderbolts is in the top 5 best Marvel comics of the 90s.

Messi

How come no one told me that Bendis and Maleev were working on a new series?!

It makes me sad that it does. Why is it so hard to have a good discussion? It always gets boiled down to, "It was shit," followed by, "no but it was the greatest and fuck your terrible opinion."

Mind-numbing.

Bendis and Maleev get no hype from me because of how they dropped Scarlet and every few months tease that they are working on it and nothing ever comes of it. Just cancel it if you don't want to work on it.

mreddie

Wait.

Why did nobody tell me the 90s Thunderbolts team was getting reunited, written by Jim Zub?

Why the hell is Songbird in New Avengers. Hand her off to Zub already!

We could see Jolt again! Do you have any idea how hype that is?

Seriously, Busiek/Nicieza Thunderbolts is in the top 5 best Marvel comics of the 90s.

Jolt? That's not Jolt, that's the new addition post Standoff.

Bendis and Maleev get no hype from me because of how they dropped Scarlet and every few months tease that they are working on it and nothing ever comes of it. Just cancel it if you don't want to work on it.

I think his explanation was that the political environment was too crazy for Scarlet at the time. I mean, this was around the time Occupy Wall Street was a thing. I guess they didn't want their comic to inspire people to do any violent shit. After that, I guess they both had other shit going on.

It's sad, because Scarlet was / is an amazing book.

Has anyone been reading Contest of Champions? It's one of the few ANAD books that I haven't checked out, but I've got a bit of interest in it.

Weiss

Banned
Jolt? That's not Jolt, that's the new addition post Standoff.

It's an entirely nostalgia-driven launch, plus Bucky. We're gonna see Jolt again.

I deeply love Superior Foes but it took the piss out of Mach-5 too much, which makes me wonder how often comedy books I love do that to the obscure favourite of someone else.

Zombine

Banned
Pretty sure French comics > American/Japanese

Has anyone been reading Contest of Champions? It's one of the few ANAD books that I haven't checked out, but I've got a bit of interest in it.

I get the book on the house, so my positivity may be swayed by the fact that I spend $0 on it. Great art though and really fun story.

I-was-too-busy-with-WonFest-to-give-a-shit-about-comics LIST

Gotham Academy #15
Low #11
Ms. Marvel #4
Old Man Logan #2
Ultimates #4

Nice light week.

Messi

Messi list is under construction and will be posted later this evening. Apologies for the delay. Messi Corp had some hijinks related delays today.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hey man if we can't get people to talk about Hawkeye I'm convinced that if we ever did that club it would have 0 posts. So many people signed up for Hawkeye and never posted again.
Maybe we should do something really mainstream next time.
Miles Spider-Man as I planed, Batman. Etc. Something that has a Movie coming up and is currently beeing hyped by the movie goers.
Our stuff seems to be to niche.

Top Bottom