• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

Messi

Does Batman and Robin Eternal start after Batman and Robin ends? The last trade I read ended at #34 and Robin Rises Omega #1. Is there an Omega #2?

There is Robin Rises Alpha #1 which ends that section and I think that book has one trade after it. It then moves over to Robin son of batman that gleason writes and draws. Batman and Robin Eternal is a seperate thing dealing with the current state of Robin stuffs with some flashback batman and robin stuff.

Edit: I checked, Batman and Robin goes to #40 (That last arc is really cool too, #38 in particular is stellar and just so perfect)

Messi

THE ROCKETS ARE SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS!!!!

500x1000px-LL-ab4253c4_ezgif-53533195.gif

Messi

Wait... Wait... Wait. Please tell me Marquez is coming back to Invincible Iron Man. I know he is drawing Civil War II but the letters page implies Deodato is the new artist on Invincible Iron Man. The most recent issue was great but I kept looking at the art and thinking how much better it would have looked and worked with Marquez. Deodato is on the next issue too. :( fuck sake.

Edit : he is solicited up to #8 at the very least. So disappointed.

So Dan Slott, Liefeld and Fabian were talking shit earlier today I hear.
It's because of this interview: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/07/movies/deadpool-movie-rob-liefeld.html?_r=0
He is prickly, though, about sharing creator credit on Deadpool with Fabian Nicieza, who wrote the script for the character’s first appearance, based on Mr. Liefeld’s story. As plotter, penciler and inker of The New Mutants at the time of Deadpool’s inception, Mr. Liefeld said he did “all the heavy lifting.”

“If a janitor scripted New Mutants 98, he’d be the co-creator — that’s how it works, buddy,” Mr. Liefeld said. “Deadpool does not exist in any way, shape or form without me.”
H64QiCm.gif

I've never read Deadpools early appearances but wasn't he kind of just a straight rip off of Deathstroke? I thought the 4th wall stuff came much later.

Can't say much for that NYT article but those quotes from Robert Kirkman rub me the wrong way. People don't criticize Liefelds art because they 'lack joy in their soul,' they criticize because it's terrible.

What a world it would be if people gave as much a shit about Barry Windsor Smith or Bernie Wrightson as they care about Liefelds unskilled work.

That being said, Liefeld seems like a pretty alright dude. He's a passionate dude who really looks to connect with his fans as far as I can tell.
Wait... Wait... Wait. Please tell me Marquez is coming back to Invincible Iron Man. I know he is drawing Civil War II but the letters page implies Deodato is the new artist on Invincible Iron Man. The most recent issue was great but I kept looking at the art and thinking how much better it would have looked and worked with Marquez. Deodato is on the next issue too. :( fuck sake.

Edit : he is solicited up to #8 at the very least. So disappointed.
No one comes back from a Marvel event the same

No one!

I'm not sure what he's doing after. Could be that he hasn't decided on a new project so there might be nothing to announce at this point.

I've never read Deadpools early appearances but wasn't he kind of just a straight rip off of Deathstroke? I thought the 4th wall stuff came much later.

Can't say much for that NYT article but those quotes from Robert Kirkman rub me the wrong way. People don't criticize Liefelds art because they 'lack joy in their soul,' they criticize because it's terrible.

What a world it would be if people gave as much a shit about Barry Windsor Smith or Bernie Wrightson as they care about Liefelds unskilled work.

That being said, Liefeld seems like a pretty alright dude. He's a passionate dude who really looks to connect with his fans as far as I can tell.

Not quite. Liefeld says the thought process was Spider-Man with guns (read: edgier spidey) which is essentially how he writes him in the early appearances. He's not breaking the 4th wall and he's not the straight up cartoon character he becomes but he's still making quips and stuff. the only real similarities with Deathstroke are in the design at most

frye

Do you really think that the hatred Liefeld gets is really proportional to how bad he is on an absolute scale though? Because the way people -- and I'm talking about people who couldn't even name you another comics artist, who turn around and bow at the alter of Alex Ross without blinking -- despise him and his art on a personal level and hold his style up as the reason why the direct market collapsed in the 90s is completely inane.

A lot of the criticisms of him are valid, sure, but the discourse that surrounds him, especially online, is 90% memetic and performative, basically a way for strangers to signify that they're of good taste because they both recycle the same "haha, no feet," "haha, pouches," "haha, 90's," "haha, guns and swords," "haha, XTREME" etc etc jokes every single time his name comes up

PsychBat!

Banned
I don't like how he draws face glares or seemingly stretched out muscles. It looks ugly and distracting.

It's like a car crash, you just can't help but slow down and look.

There is Robin Rises Alpha #1 which ends that section and I think that book has one trade after it. It then moves over to Robin son of batman that gleason writes and draws. Batman and Robin Eternal is a seperate thing dealing with the current state of Robin stuffs with some flashback batman and robin stuff.

Edit: I checked, Batman and Robin goes to #40 (That last arc is really cool too, #38 in particular is stellar and just so perfect)

Thanks Messi. I'll plan for B&R v7 (which ends at #40) next and then track down Robin: Son of Batman.

Really really really light week for me this week.

Cyrus Perkins and the Haunted Taxi Cab #4
ANAD Avengers #5
Old Man Logan #2
Weirdworld #3
Ninjak #12
Dr. Mirage Second Lives #3

Do you really think that the hatred Liefeld gets is really proportional to how bad he is on an absolute scale though? Because the way people -- and I'm talking about people who couldn't even name you another comics artist, who turn around and bow at the alter of Alex Ross without blinking -- despise him and his art on a personal level and hold his style up as the reason why the direct market collapsed in the 90s is completely inane.

A lot of the criticisms of him are valid, sure, but the discourse that surrounds him, especially online, is 90% memetic and performative, basically a way for strangers to signify that they're of good taste because they both recycle the same "haha, no feet," "haha, pouches," "haha, 90's," "haha, guns and swords," "haha, XTREME" etc etc jokes every single time his name comes up
I agree that a lot of criticism of his work isn't criticism and doesn't care to be honest. Usually, it's not just empty but mean spirited.

There are probably more positive attributes to Liefelds creative career than people care to admit.

He's very engaged with fans. He's consistently super enthusiastic about his work. He did have an undeniably important part in Image comics and helping establish creator work as a viable career path even if it didn't come into fruition until much later. He's been pretty good about letting talented creators have their own takes on his characters even if they're pretty different to his work (Alan Moore Supreme. Keating Glory. Graham Prophet).

It's just that his art, as the most visible part of his career, isn't good. You can say that it was pretty different to what came before it and that certainly counts for something. People don't realize how difficult that is. But the thing is his art and storytelling never got better in a way that is immediately clear. So Liefeld kind of is just this walking talking reminder of one of the most awkward phases of American comics. Pointing and laughing at Liefeld is a bit like pointing and laughing at the middle school photos of people you don't know.

VanWinkle

Finished the first OHC of Hawkeye and it was amazing. I loved the Francavilla-drawn issue with that clown villain so much. The pizza dog issue was really interesting, too. I thought it was very well-done. Also loved issue #6, which is the snowy episode that took place over five or six days. The art was just really nice and the story was great. I love snow in comics so that made it better for me.

Owzers

Finished the first OHC of Hawkeye and it was amazing. I loved the Francavilla-drawn issue with that clown villain so much. The pizza dog issue was really interesting, too. I thought it was very well-done. Also loved issue #6, which is the snowy episode that took place over five or six days. The art was just really nice and the story was great. I love snow in comics so that made it better for me.

We should really get a book club going for this.

I'm willing to join the church of Cassandra Cain. I am now a believer
Yeah she's great. I need to read more of her solo, was up to issue #30ish or so. Watching her grow has been such a fun experience.

I dunno if you read any of Waid's Daredevil, but there was a one-off issue with snow and stuff and it was really good.

Pretty excited for this little list this week.

My BuyList via Comics Day App
BATMAN #49 $3.99
NEW SUICIDE SQUAD #17 $2.99
STARFIRE #9 $2.99
DESCENDER #10 $2.99
DARTH VADER #16 $3.99
SPIDER-MAN DEADPOOL #2 $3.99

mreddie

So I saw the comic sales and saw Hellcat #2 and Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #4 aren't in the top 100, those digital sales better help because yikes.

So I saw the comic sales and saw Hellcat #2 and Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #4 aren't in the top 100, those digital sales better help because yikes.

Could see Hellcat being cancelled.

Squirrel Girl does well in trades and the press seems to really enjoy it too, so they'll leave it alone. If they cancel it early I quit Marvel.

Top Bottom