• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

Messi

That whole series of pages was just magical. I got to the end and was like....fuuuuuck. I don't care about the other shit in the book but the slice of life stuff is great. Cliff Chiang doing work.

Hmm, I think it represents the color of the tiles she's playing, if I remember correctly as you go up levels in Tetris the tiles change colors.

Edit: Then again it could also represent her mood.

The magic of colors, y'all

*cough* Isn't she playing some version of Breakout

Anyway yeah loved that sequence, Paper Girls is so great

Messi

Ah gotcha

Im not really interested in the series all that much but that page is nice

That page is one of 4 pages in a row all paneled like that and it doesn't have any text at all. Its great visual storytelling.

Edit: found them, hope its ok to post. it happens because
she is being choked and that part of her life flashes before her eyes

X9tKb5m.jpg

bBHP8rl.jpg

dcU6gqF.jpg

fosXLDP.jpg

That page is one of 4 pages in a row all paneled like that and it doesn't have any text at all. Its great visual storytelling.

Edit: found them, hope its ok to post. it happens because
she is being choked and that part of her life flashes before her eyes

Woah. I didn't know there was more.

*cough* Isn't she playing some version of Breakout

Anyway yeah loved that sequence, Paper Girls is so great
Ah yep you're right, I just called the first thing that came to mind.

Okay there is a lot happening in that scene and the colors could mean all sorts of things.

Lol totally. I was amazed by it.

Okay so it's a passage of time, it's starts on her birthday, then Thanksgiving happens, Christmas happens, New Years happens, snow is like Jan-Feb, rain is spring, watering the grass is summer and then it ends probably near her birthday coming up again.

The coloring just represents a change in the scene.

Whew, glad that was all figured out.

Been reading Island tonight since I wanted to catch up on it. Really refreshing stuff so far, and it's cool to see so much from creators who I have literally never heard of. The Sea Witch stuff in issue 3, for example, was a very interesting experience with some really cool art. edit: Although I just looked at the website for the artist and I was not expecting to see so many penises

Oh man, what do I read before I go to bed? Do I start Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine, Batman Beyond 2.0 Vol. 2: Justice Lords Beyond, or do I continue on my incredibly slow re-read of Eragon?

Or maybe I'll just sleep...Yeah, maybe I'll just sleep.

Ok, I know a lot of people have qualms about the Superheavy arc, but the emotional punch of #49, in my opinion, solidifies this arc as being another classic. Say what you will about the opening chapters, but it worked so well as a foundation to build up what we currently have. It's going down as one of my favorite Snyder arcs.

On that note, I own all the hardcovers, but I sincerely hope they do a big collection for Snyder's run. It's beyond deserving an OHC.

ElNarez

Banned
I didn't think Snyder could pull off some Morrison like that, but, he goddamn did. (actually maybe I should've seen it coming as one of maybe three people tops who remembers the Superman tie-in he did during Flashpoint)

Owzers

I continue to read comics (kinda...) in a world without rebirth news. Between this and standard mode hearthstone being so far away after announcement things just seem stagnant.

Ok, I know a lot of people have qualms about the Superheavy arc, but the emotional punch of #49, in my opinion, solidifies this arc as being another classic. Say what you will about the opening chapters, but it worked so well as a foundation to build up what we currently have. It's going down as one of my favorite Snyder arcs.

On that note, I own all the hardcovers, but I sincerely hope they do a big collection for Snyder's run. It's beyond deserving an OHC.

I'd love more OHCs from DC but when they do Deluxes it feels like they come out so long after the trades etc. Since Snyder + Capullo are ending with Batman 51 or 52 (can't remember which) they could easily do...what like 5 OHCs?

VanWinkle

YES. Finally came in. :D

rsz_imgp0754.jpg

rsz_imgp0756.jpg

So much of this will be new to me, and a lot of the olds paperbacks I had didn't even have color for the Sunday strips, so those will pretty much ALL be new to me, or at least fresh.

The Adventures of Supergirl #1, #2: So, for those of you who don't know, this is a nice little digital-first title DC's putting out to tie in to the show. Art by Bengal, Sterling Gates writing. As with other DC digital firsts, it's a smaller format; significantly lower page count, once you account for the difference in page size. But it's also 99 cents, so it's hard to complain.

As for the meat of it, bear in mind that I'm not watching the show, though I have been keeping up with it, so grain of salt, but... I'm really loving the comic! It's well written, and utterly charming to look at. Hearty recommendation.

First two issues have a couple of decent fights, some fun dialogue, and a hint of drama. Very happy so far.

Luigi87

Just picked up this week's Spider-Gwen and Silk releases... Still haven't read the previous two issues.
... Can't believe I'm letting myself have a comic book backlog. I gotta start reading.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just picked up this week's Spider-Gwen and Silk releases... Still haven't read the previous two issues.
... Can't believe I'm letting myself have a comic book backlog. I gotta start reading.
Havent neither touched Secret Wars, too or Gwenpool, nor Venom Space Knight and Spider-Woman :/

Apocalypse Wars? Do I even want to know?

It's a cross-through with Extraordinary, Uncanny and All-New all tackling Apocalypse-related shtuff.

The variants themselves are either Marvel characters as Horsemen of Apocalypse or in the AoA timeline. They're not great apart from the Spider-Man ones.

The Legend of Wonder Woman continues to be hugely enjoyable. Fantastic art, delightful writing. Strongest Wondy book currently releasing IMO. We met Perry White in this one, first non-Wonder Woman specific DC character so far!

Top Bottom