• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

Owzers

I read Saga 31-33 to get caught up, 33 was a rather weak reporter catch-up issue, but i liked the other two even though they feel a little light in story content. It's been too long since i read issue #30 i don't remember what happened with
Prince Robot and Gus at all
. I might have to reread stuff, sad times.

I read Saga 31-33 to get caught up, 33 was a rather weak reporter catch-up issue, but i liked the other two even though they feel a little light in story content. It's been too long since i read issue #30 i don't remember what happened with
Prince Robot and Gus at all
. I might have to reread stuff, sad times.

I hate the reporters. Those issues just make me terribly bored.

List:
Sex Criminals #14 maybe I need to catch up
Power Man and Iron Fist #1
And that's it... Weird week. I'll probably grab Fate/Zero Volume 1 since that's solicited but that's not really comics.

Friendly reminder that the new Doom Patrol trades are starting to come out this week too. So if you still haven't read it, you have even less excuses now.

Owzers

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the dunk competition, Messi you weren't kidding.

disagree with the end verdict, i liked
Gordon's last dunk better than Lavine's

Harden was courtside so it's like he won too.

So i finally wanted to catch up on Morrison's Batman & Robin since i've heard a bit of praise in different places...

What's the easiest/best way to go about this? I heard it's an ongoing series by different writers by now though, so which ones are essential reading?

So, I visited my LCS:

ISSUES
Radioactive Spider-Gwen #5
The Ultimates #4
Hellboy Winter Special
Silk #4
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. #2 (took this fucker long enough)
Ms. Marvel #4
Old Man Logan #2
Illuminati #4
The New Avengers #6
All-New X-Men #4
All-New All-Different Avengers #5
Black Canary #8
Cry Havoc #1
Batman Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #3

TRADES
X-Force/Cable: Messiah War
Secret Six Vol. 1: Friends in Low Places

Looks like some heavy lifting
Severe lack of Triple H compared to Blade Trinity.
I bet they didn't even reference it. Upsetting.
Deadpool doesn't have anything cringe worthy as Dracula saying "Motherfucker, I like that."
Dialogue in that movie was aces:
"Of course it doesn't have the range of a sword, but uh..."

Kotobukiya Thanos Fine Art statue:

Wolverine ArtFX+
I really do love that Wolverine costume. Feel like they didn't run with it for a long enough time. Upsetting.
I'd buy a Ms Vision book.
It basically already is that. Her plot thread is effectively the central plot thread. Like, 80% of the book is her.
Want this boxset but getting 5 of these figures without having at least one snap off at the ankles/shoulders/wrists will probably be an issue. Need that Livewire though.
I honestly don't like enough of the Timmverse designs enough to get a fig. Like, if they had the Supergirl one where she is in her Legion outfit, then yes. Or Star Girl. But I can't say I'd buy too many of the figs.
I know this is gonna rub some people the wrong way but I fucking hate that Ivy design. I wish it was this design.

latest

It ruins that boxset for me.

That Livewire is amazing though. Do they sell her on her own? Supergirl too.

Mr Eddie

The New Superman/Batman Adventures redesigns of the Batman: The Animated Series are of heavy controversy. The only ones that are seemingly universally liked are Scarecrow, Robin, and Batgirl. I prefer Batman and Bane's redesigns as well. Beyond that, most people hated the redesigns. Dick's mullet was awful, and I have no idea why they made Catwoman blue. At least there was an in-universe reason for Ivy's skin color change.

PsychBat!

Banned
Man, Al Ewing really likes to go big in a lot of ways that it's disappointing that he's really not doing anything interesting with the ideas he's had so far. He's just going big for big's sake. He's going to the extent Jim Starlin went back in "Marvel: The End" without being at all trippy and is instead Hickman-lite. Just doesn't mesh well.

The art is superb though.

Messi

List O List:

Batman and Robin Eternal #20
Clean Room #5
Harley Quinn #25
Lucifer #3
Martian Manhunter #9
Poison Ivy #2
Robin Son of Batman #9
Secret Six #11
Superman American Alien #4

Bitch Planet #7
Huck #4
I hate fairtyland #5
Sex Criminals #14

Amazing Spider-Man #8
Avengers Standoff Welcome to Pleasant Hull #1
Deadpool and Cable #3
Extraordinary X-Men #7
Mighty Thor #4
Power Man and Iron Fist #1
Silver Surfer #2
Spider-Woman #4
Squadron Supreme #4
Star Lord #4
Uncanny Inhumans #5
Web Warriors #4

Archie #6
Lumberjanes #23
Red Sonja #2

VanWinkle

So i finally wanted to catch up on Morrison's Batman & Robin since i've heard a bit of praise in different places...

What's the easiest/best way to go about this? I heard it's an ongoing series by different writers by now though, so which ones are essential reading?

Just read the New 52 series. It's fantastic. Read the Morrison ones while doing a Morrison Batman run read-through. You don't really need to know anything to start the New 52 series other than Damian being Bruce's son and that he was trained since birth with the League of Assassins.

You can really read either first since they don't directly connect.

tim1138

Morrison's Batman and Robin is collected in three collections:

Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn
Batman & Robin: Batman vs. Robin
Batman & Robin: Batman & Robin Must Die

Ideally you read it after Batman and Son and Batman RIP, but I honestly think you can read B&R on its own, all you need to know is that Dick is now Batman.

Van Winkle said:
You can really read either first since they don't directly connect.

This really isn't true at all, Tomasi's B&R is very much a continuation of Morrison's story and themes.

Zombine

Banned
Morrison's Batman and Robin is collected in three collections:

Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn
Batman & Robin: Batman vs. Robin
Batman & Robin: Batman & Robin Must Die

Ideally you read it after Batman and Son and Batman RIP, but I honestly think you can read B&R on its own, all you need to know is that Dick is now Batman.

This is one of those things I think we need to have stickied in future threads along with the Avengers reading order. I know I've asked about the Batman order in the past (it is a bit confusing to newcomers) and it's the best way to approach the Morrison stuff if your ultimate goal is Batman Inc.

The only warning I have for people is that once you start the Morrison stuff you're hooked. I kept going with the Tomasi stuff which lead me to Robin which is my absolute favorite DC book at the moment.

Vyer

This is one of those things I think we need to have stickied in future threads along with the Avengers reading order. I know I've asked about the Batman order in the past (it is a bit confusing to newcomers) and it's the best way to approach the Morrison stuff if your ultimate goal is Batman Inc.

The only warning I have for people is that once you start the Morrison stuff you're hooked. I kept going with the Tomasi stuff which lead me to Robin which is my absolute favorite DC book at the moment.

Tomasi's stuff has been really solid. I didn't like his Batman for a bit there during the resurrection of Damian - his Bats characterization seemed a little off for me - but outside of that its been a great read.

Boogiepop

Welp, I've officially spent some money on digital. That Comixology Archie sale for Valentine's day? They may have excluded the horror stuff and the superhero stuff, but they apparently care so little about the Sonic and Mega Man stuff that they forgot to exclude it. So I finally got my Sonic sale, and went ahead and filled in all the gaps from the cancelled trade lines onwards, and then said screw it and got the rest needed to catch them up. So now I think I'll actually be buying the mainline Sonic series and Universe monthly on Comixology from now on. Decided that their trade shenanigans aren't worth putting up with, so now I'll just grab them when/if they actually come out instead of driving myself nuts over endless delays. Which I suppose is probably giving them more money for their terrible trade release scheduling, but whatever. Mega Man and Sonic Boom I'll wait out on the hopes that those won't take an eternity to finish since they're done (though hopefully Mega Man will come back from its "hiatus" eventually), and hopefully won't take an eternity to catch up (versus Sonic Universe being now like 50 issues behind the singles in trades thanks to all the delays). So yeah, interesting reading ahead of me, I guess, and a lot of crap.

Also, I'm kind of sad that apparently they don't have all of the terrible old Knuckles series on Comixology. I'd throw the $30 or whatever to get all those on sale, since from what I know those may well be the worst comics ever made (well, without including stuff that goes into actively offending with their existence rather than poor quality, I guess).

But yeah, heads up that this works, as the more recent Sonic stuff and especially the Mega Man series are great, so if you want 50% off those digitally you can get them today.

VanWinkle

This really isn't true at all, Tomasi's B&R is very much a continuation of Morrison's story and themes.

Is it? In what way is it a continuation of the story (not saying you're wrong; just curious)? I started with N52 and didn't feel even the slightest bit lost on anything.

Owzers

i refuse to add corndogs and chicken nuggets to the comics-gaf approved topics list.

TV shows/movies
Taylor Swift cds
Statues/Figures ( non-anime related)
Frank Cho covers
Trump
NBA
Olivia Wilde gifs
Wrestling
Hearthstone

Comics.

i refuse to add corndogs and chicken nuggets to the comics-gaf approved topics list.

TV shows/movies
Taylor Swift cds
Statues/Figures ( non-anime related)
Frank Cho covers
Trump
NBA
Olivia Wilde gifs
Wrestling

Comics.

Are comics reallly something we want to allow around here? I heard those things corrupt the minds of the innocent.

Top Bottom