• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

Her name sounds like a pork. Tartar.

I'll step up because JC isn't here:

image.php

PsychBat!

Banned
That thought is horrifying.
I saw them live when they opened for another band (won't say which band because it's a tiny bit embarrassing) and in one of their songs in which Jared Leto took his shirt off he told everyone to jump up and down. I was wearing a bright red shirt (and I was in the mosh pit) and he noticed me and said "dude in the red shirt jump!!!". I don't remember the song but his attitude oozed positivity and good vibes all around.

That was like a month or two before they announced he was gonna be the new Joker.

Owzers

I saw them live when they opened for another band (won't say which band because it's a tiny bit embarrassing) and in one of their songs in which Jared Leto took his shirt off he told everyone to jump up and down. I was wearing a bright red shirt (and I was in the mosh pit) and he noticed me and said "dude in the red shirt jump!!!". I don't remember the song but his attitude oozed positivity and good vibes all around.

That was like a month or two before they announced he was gonna be the new Joker.

It's already too late.

Owzers

I didn't jump btw. I didn't recognize any of their songs. And I came because of the second band.

i'm listening to them on Spotify now to remember who they are.

kinda like "the kill" and " this is war". I think i had one of their cds at one point and never cared about it like most of my cd buying.

Suicide Squad looks better than Batman vs Superman at least. Boy, the future is bleak for DC.

They've been doing fine with the TV series, so I don't know why they seem to have so much trouble with the theaters. Maybe their biggest characters just don't captivate people the way that Marvel's do? That's certainly how I feel.

Sandfox

So, can someone explain why Kid Nova is so hated? Like, he irks me a bit, but I mostly find him to be average more than anything. I mostly just exaggerate for humor
People either hate Loeb, how the character is portrayed in the cartoon or blame him for Rider being dead.

Well Maybe DC shouldn't leave people speculating for a month for what is obviously their second attempt at copying Marvel Now.

jackdoe

They've been doing fine with the TV series, so I don't know why they seem to have so much trouble with the theaters. Maybe their biggest characters just don't captivate people the way that Marvel's do? That's certainly how I feel.
They have had an extremely paltry release schedule over the past couple of years. The Superman Returns and Green Lantern mega failures, along with the Christopher Nolan vice like grip on the Batman property definitely didn't help. Green Lantern specifically set them back a few years as they were prepping that up to start a "cinematic universe" with a Flash film to follow.

This year will be the real test for WB and should give us a good idea on how healthy DC properties will be in theaters.

Calcium

Banned

I hear good things about their TV series, but I just can't watch them. The CW just doesn't have the budget to pull off superhero shows. Everything just looks goofy as hell. That's why I like the Marvel shows on Netflix so much, they understand their limitations and went street level.

Playing some catch up on the Winter Soldier as a character right now on Marvel Unlimited. First I hit up Brubakers re-introduction in 'Captain America' and took a break from that to read Remender's 'Winter Soldier: The Bitter March'.

What a great series the Brubaker run is turning out to be. All of the post 9-11 paranoia you could ask for, wrapped up in a Bucky shell. Remender's Bitter March short was a excellent glimpse into a cold war story - hoping for more of these.

Next, I'll be reading Brubaker's stand alone Winter Soldier from 2012.

Owzers

Was Legendary Star-Lord bad? I remember people not liking it and unless it's worthwhile i'm skipping that series and going right to Black Vortex.

jackdoe

I wouldn't hold my breath. Batman seems to be the only thing DC can really rely on in theaters.
Well, we'll have a better idea by the end of the year. Though next year will be even more interesting as we'll get a Batman free, female led superhero movie which will be even more telling as to the health of DC characters in film.

Calcium

Banned
In what way? There's only been one DCU movie so far and it did pretty well.

Just saying, as a fan of DC I have very little interest their films so far. Man of Steel was pretty "meh" for me and Batman vs Superman is looking like a rental at best. It's pretty sad that the movie that is setting up the Justice League is being overshadowed by Suicide Squad. DC needed to hit a home run with BvS, but it doesn't look like they are going to do that. They are just copying Marvel, but taking an accelerated path which may or may not pan out for them. Marvel eased people into The Avengers, DC seems to be jumping right in.

Just saying, as a fan of DC I have very little interest their films so far. Man of Steel was pretty "meh" for me and Batman vs Superman is looking like a rental at best. It's pretty sad that the movie that is setting up the Justice League is being overshadowed by Suicide Squad. DC needed to hit a home run with BvS, but it doesn't look like they are going to do that. They are just copying Marvel, but taking an accelerated path which may or may not pan out for them. Marvel eased people into The Avengers, DC seems to be jumping right in.

Oh man, we're having this conversation in here.

Okay, let me prepare myself.

Look. The easing argument is terrible and it always has been. Before Marvel, there was exactly 0 expectation that you needed to do setup movies to introduce large casts in complicated scenarios. How many ensemble movies have there been over the years? How many of them really *required* multiple movies worth of set up? I'd argue that even The Avengers didn't need it. Most of the people who watched the movie never saw the prior ones.

Just because Mahvel did it like that doesn't mean it's the way it has to be done.

Now, as to copying Marvel, I'd agree in the broad strokes (I doubt they'd have turned it into a cinematic universe without Marvel paving the way first), but in the particulars they seem to be going a totally different direction.

Calcium

Banned
Just because Mahvel did it like that doesn't mean it's the way it has to be done.

Now, as to copying Marvel, I'd agree in the broad strokes (I doubt they'd have turned it into a cinematic universe without Marvel paving the way first), but in the particulars they seem to be going a totally different direction.

Oh, it absolutely doesn't have to be done the way Marvel did it. It's just the way they did it worked really well so they'd be stupid not to follow suit. Whether they like it or not the DCU is going to be directly compared to the MCU not just by the fanboys but the general movie audience as well. I just don't see the DC rushing working out for them. They really needed to slow down and plan things out. If BvS doesn't perform well like the recent rumor suggests then DC just shot themselves in the foot. Adding a Batman movie directed by Affleck in between would have been a better move in my opinion.

Top Bottom