• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

Zombine

Banned
Wow what a sad fucking sale lol. Only allowed to get one book? Loooool

It could be zero books bro. Be grateful.

dan-didio-e1374109788370.jpg

There was definitely some things AoU could have done better but I still really enjoyed it and thought it was good. Don't understand the hate it gets at all.

Getting really impatient reading Secret Wars on MU, I want it all now! Suppose I can read all the tie ins, enjoying so many of them.

Is Power Man and Iron Fist out this week?

Vyer

I thought AoU was a mess. Which was sad because I really really enjoyed Avengers.

I've reached the point with BvS where I'm tired about speculating on whether or not it will be good and just have it come out now.

Yeah. As someone who was disappointed in MoS, I'm not expecting much, but I'd be happy to be wrong. But either way I agree.

AoU was ok/fun.The only marvel movie I actively disliked was Iron Man 3, and that wasn't because it was a bad movie, but because the marketing was deceiving and the movie wasn't what I wanted it to be. It's a fun RDJ comedy movie, but it didn't give me what I wanted out of an Iron Man movie.

I don't actually hate Thor 2 or TIH but I have a hard time finding anything memorable about it. The only thing I really remember is that moment when Hulk is caught on a college campus by Ross and he goes on a rampage, which felt like the hulkiest thing to me. I think they should have made Hulk into a horror monster. I'm probably one of the few people around here that appreciated what Ang Lee was trying to do with Hulk, but it was too little on action. It's hard to make a dramatic super hero film, but when it works, it's great.

mreddie

AoU was ok/fun.The only marvel movie I actively disliked was Iron Man 3, and that wasn't because it was a bad movie, but because the marketing was deceiving and the movie wasn't what I wanted it to be. It's a fun RDJ comedy movie, but it didn't give me what I wanted out of an Iron Man movie.

IM3 to me was the best Tony Stark movie, IM1 was the best Iron Man movie. Sometimes, you want to see a hero still fight back without his ace in the hole.

shingi70

Banned
Age of Ultron isn't that bad, but its a disappointing movie which is a shame. It has all the parts to be a competent sequel but somehow drops the ball in the name of world.building that doesn't seem Ogranic.

IM3 to me was the best Tony Stark movie, IM1 was the best Iron Man movie. Sometimes, you want to see a hero still fight back without his ace in the hole.

Yeah that runs against my interests. I like the fantastical aspect of super heroes, I'm not a huge fan of the depowered arcs.

shingi70

Banned

Iron Man 3 was so.disappointing after the Avengers blew the universe open to do weird and cool stuff, only to get a movie that retreads what Came before it plot wise.

VanWinkle

This just came in the mail. Bought it because a) one of my friends told me he adored this series, and b) this one was only $12.99 with Prime shipping, listed in Like New condition but it's actually sealed.

So now I just need to buy volumes one and two, lol. I just bought this one because I wanted to take advantage of such a good price.

Book is huge, too. I think it's the biggest Marvel Now OHC after Spider-verse.

Oh, that reminds me. I also bought volume one OHC of Amazing Spiderman (the one that released last month). I am under the impression that it came AFTER Superior Spiderman. My question is: is it necessary to read Superior before starting Amazing?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I catch an episode of SHIELD every once in a while since my brother watches it and I just can't get into it.
I am still burnt from the first couple of episodes. But I am curious what they do with the Inhumans and the Agent Carter stuff seems to be cool, it just needs a Blu-Ray Release here.

Owzers

I quite enjoyed Age of Ultron. Probably means I have low standards but who cares, I enjoyed watching it.

I liked it on my first watch but then i had no desire to ever watch it again. Luckily i blind bought it on blu ray. The last half seemed very goofy and unremarkable, i liked the initial build more.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I am still burnt from the first couple of episodes. But I am curious what they do with the Inhumans and the Agent Carter stuff seems to be cool, it just needs a Blu-Ray Release here.

I liked what I saw of Agent Carter. I just need to finish the first season still.

AoS S1 is tough because the beginning is so damn slow. Like, ludicrously slow. I still loved it when it was airing, but on a recent re-watch I noticed how slow it really was. Almost the entire first half is that slow. It gradually picks up, but when the events of CA:TWS happen, THEN the show accelerates hard. If you can manage to get through that first half of S1, then it completely pays off. S2 is significantly better, and S3 is pretty good as well (effectively doing the beginning of the NuHumans storyline).

Agent Carter is great. I love AoS do death, but as I said S1 has some serious pacing issues that hurts it. JJ also has pacing issues, though that's strongest near the end, and I...well, I can't think of anything negative about DD. I don't recall any issues, though I've seen the claim that what would be considered S1's third act is bad. I never had that issue, and I'm super hyped for S2. Still out of everything I've watched, I think AC the best comic book show on right now. Everything about it is so on point.

I dropped Gotham, and I can't stand CW's character drama. And yes, that includes DC's Legends of Tomorrow. Any time they try and get emotional with the characters, it flops. Save for maybe Captain Cold. The Flash's got so bad, I almost dropped it. I would have if the plot wasn't so damn entertaining. Arrow's getting better, but it's still struggling.

To be fair, however, I haven't seen iZombie, nor have I seen Supergirl. I've only seen a few episodes of The Walking Dead and I didn't much care for it, so I'm certainly not going to watch Fear the Walking Dead. I haven't watched much of the current animated that are currently ongoing, though I haven't liked what I've seen.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
AoS S1 is tough because the beginning is so damn slow. Like, ludicrously slow. I still loved it when it was airing, but on a recent re-watch I noticed how slow it really was. Almost the entire first half is that slow. It gradually picks up, but when the events of CA:TWS happen, THEN the show accelerates hard. If you can manage to get through that first half of S1, then it completely pays off. S2 is significantly better, and S3 is pretty good as well (effectively doing the beginning of the NuHumans storyline).

Agent Carter is great. I love AoS do death, but as I said S1 has some serious pacing issues that hurts it. JJ also has pacing issues, though that's strongest near the end, and I...well, I can't think of anything negative about DD. I don't recall any issues, though I've seen the claim that what would be considered S1's third act is bad. I never had that issue, and I'm super hyped for S2. Still out of everything I've watched, I think AC the best comic book show on right now. Everything about it is so on point.

I dropped Gotham, and I can't stand CW's character drama. And yes, that includes DC's Legends of Tomorrow. Any time they try and get emotional with the characters, it flops. Save for maybe Captain Cold. The Flash's got so bad, I almost dropped it. I would have if the plot wasn't so damn entertaining. Arrow's getting better, but it's still struggling.

To be fair, however, I haven't seen iZombie, nor have I seen Supergirl. I've only seen a few episodes of The Walking Dead and I didn't much care for it, so I'm certainly not going to watch Fear the Walking Dead. I haven't watched much of the current animated that are currently ongoing, though I haven't liked what I've seen.
Legends of Tomorrow looks like a discount Avengers movie. The footage looks awful.

Messi

This just came in the mail. Bought it because a) one of my friends told me he adored this series, and b) this one was only $12.99 with Prime shipping, listed in Like New condition but it's actually sealed.

So now I just need to buy volumes one and two, lol. I just bought this one because I wanted to take advantage of such a good price.

Book is huge, too. I think it's the biggest Marvel Now OHC after Spider-verse.

Oh, that reminds me. I also bought volume one OHC of Amazing Spiderman (the one that released last month). I am under the impression that it came AFTER Superior Spiderman. My question is: is it necessary to read Superior before starting Amazing?

Yeah I would read superior first, the lead into amazing is in that book and Peters return is kinda cool if you like Peter.

Legends of Tomorrow looks like a discount Avengers movie. The footage looks awful.

Pretty much. It's still a fun show, though. Anyone looking for a solid sci-fi action show should look into it. The visual effects are surprisingly good for a network show. Actually, really good for a network show.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Pretty much. It's still a fun show, though. Anyone looking for a solid sci-fi action show should look into it. The visual effects are surprisingly good for a network show. Actually, really good for a network show.
Also, it proofs that Wolverines Costume would work in Live Action.

Messi

Image May solicits are out!

http://www.newsarama.com/27992-image-comics-may-2016-solicitations.html

DeadlyClass-HC1_cvr.jpg

DEADLY CLASS, BOOK ONE HC
STORY:RICK REMENDER
ART / COVER:WES CRAIG

JUNE 29 / 432 PAGES / FC / M / $49.99

Collecting the first three arcs of REMENDER and CRAIG’s twistedly humorous story of a group of damaged teens enrolled in a secret high school, training to become the world’s greatest assassins.
Presented in oversized hardcover format!

Collects DEADLY CLASS #1-16

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS OHC DEADLY CLASS FINALLY. 3 ARCS, BIG ASS BOOK.

Also Monstress is going on a 3 month break after the first arc ends in may.

Owzers

But i just bought vol 2 and 3 paperbacks of Deadly....

edit: though we did establish that waiting for OHCs is a bad idea.

Messi

So what is this book about? Would I like it?

Kids train at an assassins school but are more interested in petty squabbles and getting revenge and taking massive amounts of drugs. Set in the 80's. Its wonderful and most people love it.

After seeing how lovely the black science hardcover is I am not buying remender trades anymore and am going to wait for hardcovers.

MARVEL: THE HIP-HOP COVERS VOL. 1 HC
Watch creative worlds collide like never before in the ultimate fusion of hip-hop and the House of Ideas! With an introduction by award-winning author Ta-Nehisi Coates -- a National Book Award winner, a recent MacArthur Genius Grant recipient and the writer of Marvel's BLACK PANTHER -- this stunning volume showcases 70 comic-book covers inspired by some of the most iconic albums in music history. Experience page after page of incredible artwork featuring the heroes of the All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe -- from A-Force to the X-Men -- by an unbelievable roster of talent including Adam Hughes, Brian Stelfreeze, Jim Cheung, Mike Del Mundo, Sanford Greene, Jenny Frison, Phil Noto, Mahmud Asrar, Damion Scott, Tim Bradstreet, Keron Grant and Ed Piskor. Their finished covers sit side-by-side with behind-the-scenes sketches, showing the process of rendering some of the most famous images in hip-hop, Marvel style. Straight outta comics -- and on to your bookshelf!
168 PGS./Rated T+ ...$34.99
ISBN: 978-1-302-90233-9

... $34.99

Xis

Man, why is it so hard to read comics? Just figuring out what books to read and which order they go in requires a chunk of internet time.

Example:
I'm trying to keep up with all of the Green Lantern books in trade form. My wife just picked me up all of the volume 5s (Green Lantern, GL Corps, New Guardians, Red Lanterns, and Sinestro v1) for Valentine's Day. (Tangent: turns out you can put any TPB that is listed as Kindle/Comixology on your Amazon wishlist and people can gift you a digital copy, thought that was pretty cool). Looking ahead for what to get next - turns out there's a huge crossover (Godhead) that is conveniently collected as one trade, but it only has three issues out of each series, or I can pick up the trade of each individual series, but it leaves out the issue that kicks off the crossover. I guess I'll pick up the trade of each series, and the single issue that kicks off the crossover, but it would have been nice if they would have thrown it into GL v6 or something.

A similar thing happened when I tried to collect all of Hickman's Avengers in hardcovers. Infinity is in a big hardcover, and collects almost all of the contents of the two associated Avengers books, but it leaves out two issues featuring Hyperion, I ended up buying those digital, which bugs me. I can see why they left them out, as they don't appear to be essential so far, but who knows with Hickman.

Ideally, buying trades means I shouldn't have to care about these things! Part of the reason I buy trades is that they normally collect all the disparate pieces so I don't have to track all this stuff down!

Continuing my rant about Green lantern - that, just trying to piece together what the currently printed books took me like 20 minutes of Googling. I guess post-Convergence they canceled three of the five titles, leaving just Green Lantern and Sinestro as ongoing, but almost immediately launched a Green Lantern Corps miniseries? And once that wrapped they launched another Green Lantern Corps miniseries? Not sure why they bothered to cancel a book just to essentially keep it going?

MARVEL: THE HIP-HOP COVERS VOL. 1 HC
168 PGS./Rated T+ ...$34.99
ISBN: 978-1-302-90233-9
... $34.99

Edit: I'm done buying Marvel stuff in hardcopy (well, after I get the Secret Wars hardcover...). I had $100 in Amazon credit from Christmas, and bought 2 (two!) hardcover books - Original Sin and Axis. I realized I could have easily gotten 6-7 digital trades. I expect to pay a premium, getting the physical edition, but that's bonkers.

Top Bottom