• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

AoU was ok/fun.The only marvel movie I actively disliked was Iron Man 3, and that wasn't because it was a bad movie, but because the marketing was deceiving and the movie wasn't what I wanted it to be. It's a fun RDJ comedy movie, but it didn't give me what I wanted out of an Iron Man movie.

I don't actually hate Thor 2 or TIH but I have a hard time finding anything memorable about it. The only thing I really remember is that moment when Hulk is caught on a college campus by Ross and he goes on a rampage, which felt like the hulkiest thing to me. I think they should have made Hulk into a horror monster. I'm probably one of the few people around here that appreciated what Ang Lee was trying to do with Hulk, but it was too little on action. It's hard to make a dramatic super hero film, but when it works, it's great.

I also appreciate what ang lee attempted, but it's still one of the goofiest superhero movies I've ever seen

hulk-2003-talbot-s-death-o.gif

Man, why is it so hard to read comics? Just figuring out what books to read and which order they go in requires a chunk of internet time.

Example:
I'm trying to keep up with all of the Green Lantern books in trade form. My wife just picked me up all of the volume 5s (Green Lantern, GL Corps, New Guardians, Red Lanterns, and Sinestro v1) for Valentine's Day. (Tangent: turns out you can put any TPB that is listed as Kindle/Comixology on your Amazon wishlist and people can gift you a digital copy, thought that was pretty cool). Looking ahead for what to get next - turns out there's a huge crossover (Godhead) that is conveniently collected as one trade, but it only has three issues out of each series, or I can pick up the trade of each individual series, but it leaves out the issue that kicks off the crossover. I guess I'll pick up the trade of each series, and the single issue that kicks off the crossover, but it would have been nice if they would have thrown it into GL v6 or something.

A similar thing happened when I tried to collect all of Hickman's Avengers in hardcovers. Infinity is in a big hardcover, and collects almost all of the contents of the two associated Avengers books, but it leaves out two issues featuring Hyperion, I ended up buying those digital, which bugs me. I can see why they left them out, as they don't appear to be essential so far, but who knows with Hickman.

Ideally, buying trades means I shouldn't have to care about these things! Part of the reason I buy trades is that they normally collect all the disparate pieces so I don't have to track all this stuff down!

Continuing my rant about Green lantern - that, just trying to piece together what the currently printed books took me like 20 minutes of Googling. I guess post-Convergence they canceled three of the five titles, leaving just Green Lantern and Sinestro as ongoing, but almost immediately launched a Green Lantern Corps miniseries? And once that wrapped they launched another Green Lantern Corps miniseries? Not sure why they bothered to cancel a book just to essentially keep it going?

You're making it more confusing than it is. Stuff that's included in the trades is what's relevant to that run. Typically, you don't need anything outside of it. DC and Marvel are both pretty good about it most of the time. For example: Marvel's X-Men books all crossed over a couple years ago. However, that event was collected in its own trade, and the books didn't include their crossover issues from that even into their own trades i.e. All-New X-Men's issues from the crossover weren't included in the All-New X-Men trades, but were just included in the event (Battle of the Atom) trade.

Xis

However, that event was collected in its own trade, and the books didn't include their crossover issues from that even into their own trades i.e. All-New X-Men's issues from the crossover weren't included in the All-New X-Men trades, but were just included in the event (Battle of the Atom) trade.

That's not what DC did here; if you buy, say, the V6 of the Red Lanterns book, the first three issues are three pieces of the giant crossover, incomprehensible on their own. Even if you buy the V6 of all of the series, you are still missing one issue.

That's not what DC did here; if you buy, say, the V6 of the Red Lanterns book, the first three issues are three pieces of the giant crossover, incomprehensible on their own. Even if you buy the V6 of all of the series, you are still missing one issue.

Are you sure they're incomprehensible on their own?

Red Lanterns had the issue "The End" collected in one of their trades. It was a crossover between all the Lantern books at the time, but you didn't need to read the others to understand what was happening because there was set up before hand in each book. Justice League Dark and Constantine did a crossover called Blight. Each book has a trade handling their own half of the story that, while best read in an overlapping order, reads just fine on their own. I find it hard to believe that DC did that, but it's happened before (Dixon's Nightwing Vol. 3 had that happen with an issue or two)

Xis

Are you sure they're incomprehensible on their own?

Erm, I dunno for sure since I haven't bought them yet, but this is what I saw in an Amazon review: "Warning: the first half of this book collects four parts of a seventeen-part crossover, the first of which is only available in the Green Lantern/New Gods Godhead collection. The editor has added a couple of summary pages to try to cover the gaps in the story, but it is still exceptionally hard to follow if you are only reading this collection."

And honestly, I don't care about that too much since I'll be picking up all the individual trades, but the part that burns me is the line "the first of which is only available in the Green Lantern/New Gods Godhead collection". Internet searching shows that the missing issue is "GREEN LANTERN/NEW GODS: GODHEAD #1", Maybe that issue isn't really necessary; maybe I'm too compulsive with trying to collect everything. Again, picking it up digitally means buying a single additional issue isn't too bad, but I was until recently picking them up in physical copies, and it would have really bothered me there. I have all the GL-related stuff from Rebirth up to the the New 52 vol 4s on my bookshelf, and the only thing they've left out of the collections so far is the Larfleeze Christmas Special.

TLDR: DC offers two options for Green Lantern trades, neither option is complete.

This just came in the mail. Bought it because a) one of my friends told me he adored this series, and b) this one was only $12.99 with Prime shipping, listed in Like New condition but it's actually sealed.

So now I just need to buy volumes one and two, lol. I just bought this one because I wanted to take advantage of such a good price.

Book is huge, too. I think it's the biggest Marvel Now OHC after Spider-verse.

Oh, that reminds me. I also bought volume one OHC of Amazing Spiderman (the one that released last month). I am under the impression that it came AFTER Superior Spiderman. My question is: is it necessary to read Superior before starting Amazing?
Yes, you should read Superior. You must experience the genius that is SpOck and his amazing shenanigans as Peter Parker/Spider-Man.
Image May solicits are out!

http://www.newsarama.com/27992-image-comics-may-2016-solicitations.html

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS OHC DEADLY CLASS FINALLY. 3 ARCS, BIG ASS BOOK.

Also Monstress is going on a 3 month break after the first arc ends in may.
And here I am about to buy Tokyo Ghost in trades when Remender is probably already planning an OHC for that book.
I don't get the hype for Deadly class, the writing takes a dive after the first story arc.

The story raises the stakes after the first story arc. Unless you don't like teenagers making shitty mistakes and paying the ultimate price.

Messi

Yes, you should read Superior. You must experience the genius that is SpOck and his amazing shenanigans as Peter Parker/Spider-Man.

And here I am about to buy Tokyo Ghost in trades when Remender is probably already planning an OHC for that book.

The story raises the stakes after the first story arc. Unless you don't like teenagers making shitty mistakes and paying the ultimate price.

He said all his image stuff is getting them so far

shingi70

Banned
Second arc was with the Hilbilly dude that had a history with Marcus right?

It doesn't helpI loathe Marcus and wish the book followed Marira.

Sorry,, small rant incoming....

So I flip open Spider-Gwen #5,,, to see a completely different artist/style than Robbi Rodriguez.... cant really help myself but it gets under my damn skin when a book just randomly gets surprise guest artists... or in this case I don't even know if Robbi is still doing art... according to many websites he did the art on #5....
So now im searching everywhere to see if Robbi is still doing art or what... his art is the ONLY thing keeping this book on my pull list.

I've already been debating on dropping this book, simply because I have to cut down.. this shit just pissed me off tho... urghhhh
I know.. im most likely acting like a big baby,, but I like to have some sort of idea what is going on with these books that I spend a chit tone of money on....

Anyways.. is Rodriguez back on art after this?? Is he abandoning it like FBP? lol

Edit: DCBS shows him on art for #6&7

Sorry,, small rant incoming....

So I flip open Spider-Gwen #5,,, to see a completely different artist/style than Robbi Rodriguez.... cant really help myself but it gets under my damn skin when a book just randomly gets surprise guest artists... or in this case I don't even know if Robbi is still doing art... according to many websites he did the art on #5....
So now im searching everywhere to see if Robbi is still doing art or what... his art is the ONLY thing keeping this book on my pull list.

I've already been debating on dropping this book, simply because I have to cut down.. this shit just pissed me off tho... urghhhh
I know.. im most likely acting like a big baby,, but I like to have some sort of idea what is going on with these books that I spend a chit tone of money on....

Anyways.. is Rodriguez back on art after this?? Is he abandoning it like FBP? lol

Edit: DCBS shows him on art for #6&7
I only like guest artist when they are doing a one-shot story otherwise I agree with your frustration. If Rocafort stops drawing Ultimates that book would not be the same for me and I would probably drop it.

Yes and also goes into Marcus and Maria's past.

Messi

You aren't supposed to like Marcus. He us a self absorbed dickhead. But they all have problems. Maria included.

I thought the 3rd arc was amazing. Plus it was Maria focused.

shingi70

Banned
You aren't supposed to like Marcus. He us a self absorbed dickhead. But they all have problems. Maria included.

I thought the 3rd arc was amazing. Plus it was Maria focused.

Thrid Arc was cool, dunno didn't see how the Hilbilly dude was a big threat other than the fact that he was off his Rocker.

I only like guest artist when they are doing a one-shot story otherwise I agree with your frustration. If Rocafort stops drawing Ultimates that book would not be the same for me and I would probably drop it.

Yes and also goes into Marcus and Maria's past.

Right I agree.. and usually with a one shot... you know its coming.. and its not unusual to have a different artist from the main series.

Really frustrates me is I mainly by through DCBS now.... so once I find out, I'm already 2 months behind and paid for the next 1-2 issues. LOL

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Messi

Red Wolf and Howling Commandos TPs aren't listed as Vol 1. So its safe to assume the rumour about those being cancelled is true. They collect 1-6, 6 being the issue released in may.

Dautermann and Aaron Jane Thor getting the OHC treatment. As are Star Wars and Darth Vader.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Red Wolf and Howling Commandos TPs aren't listed as Vol 1. So its safe to assume the rumour about those being cancelled is true. They collect 1-6, 6 being the issue released in may.

Dautermann and Aaron Jane Thor getting the OHC treatment. As are Star Wars and Darth Vader.
Sweet, didnt bought any Jane Thor Trade yet.

Boogiepop

Another pretty much nothing week for me on IST, feels good to not sink money there all the time. Just out of curiosity, how did Godzilla in Hell turn out? I recall people talking about it back when it started coming out.

Also, buying all that crap digitally on sale should have removed me from the "god damnit Archie, get your act together on the freaking Sonic/Mega Man trades" situation, but... they apparently put out a "Sonic Comics Spectacular" thing, which looks to be one of those "best of" collections of assorted stuff that always end up useless because, ya' know, I kind of want a proper collection rather than a hodgepodge of stuff. Regardless, I question the wisdom of somehow managing to get this new thing of questionable worth out on the shelves when, you know, they've had such serious delays in the line that they didn't put out any trades in it for a year, and all of the proper releases are now currently chilling somewhere in summer, assuming they don't get delayed again. Oh, and the kicker is that nobody seems to know what's even in this book, even though it's released as of today. Oh well.

TheFlow

Banned
I am doing a marathon of comics today since I got the day off here is what I am tackling

paper girls

tokyo ghost

low

then if I have time sex criminals, east by west, and black science.

Top Bottom