• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

MattyG

Banned
Do I have to read The Courtyard before I read Necronomicon? I just ordered Necronomicon, but if I need to read The Courtyard I can grab it on Comixology (since the trade is like $50).

Messi

idk I just have that feeling^^

Low #7-10

breathtaking, this is on par with deadly class and saga. Just amazing. The different domes are all so different from each other, the characters each have a crazy backstory. And the vampire mermaids were a twist.

I will wait till more issues are out because I can't stand the thought of waiting month by month for such a fantastic series

onto paper girls now

Yeah but if you are waiting now...isnt it just the same wait?

philosoraptor.jpg

VanWinkle

idk I just have that feeling^^

Low #7-10

breathtaking, this is on par with deadly class and saga. Just amazing. The different domes are all so different from each other, the characters each have a crazy backstory. And the vampire mermaids were a twist.

I will wait till more issues are out because I can't stand the thought of waiting month by month for such a fantastic series

onto paper girls now

You're reading at a pace of like 7-8 minutes an issue. I haven't read Low so I don't know how wordy it is, but it feels like you wouldn't really be able to appreciate the art and paneling and everything when you're reading so fast.

TheFlow

Banned
You're reading at a pace of like 7-8 minutes an issue. I haven't read Low so I don't know how wordy it is, but it feels like you wouldn't really be able to appreciate the art and paneling and everything when you're reading so fast.
Nah I can appreciate it. I always pause to look at the surrounding details and full pages. some people just read slow :p

TheFlow

Banned
Paper Girls #1-3

DAMN what a trippy series. The plot twist at #3 I actually didn't see coming. Also the
apple was something to think about. Like what future do they come froom

again I did not buy issue 4-5 so i will just wait till my next spurge to finish the arc.

moving on to Tokyo Ghost

MG310

This isn't a bad idea, Trump Town Hall tmw, Spurs/Clippers thursday, WWE Fastlane Sunday....

Also, that Harley statue is $130 and 12.75'' tall and wouldn't fit on my shelf. This is probably not being purchased.

If the color Batgirl is any indication she'll be 100 on BBTS and whatever DCBS had that statue for.

Did all of the Story mode stuff that's currently in Street Fighter and couldn't get into any online matches. No errors, just wasn't finding anyone.

Do I have to read The Courtyard before I read Necronomicon? I just ordered Necronomicon, but if I need to read The Courtyard I can grab it on Comixology (since the trade is like $50).

Do you mean Neonomicon? My suggestion would be to not read it at all, let alone do some additional reading before it.

Unless you are a huge Alan Moore fan. (In which case, I still wouldn't recommend it).

TheFlow

Banned
Tokyo Ghost #1

the word bubbles and artwork is very dense. Definitely captures the sense of too much information and overpopulation of the city.

I wonder if the words will become less as they leave the city. Also Led with his mask is a cool look

4/5 becuase some of the pages required me to zoom and re-read twice.

14 issues of backlog comics down. time for a break

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Tokyo Ghost #1

the word bubbles and artwork is very dense. Definitely captures the sense of too much information and overpopulation of the city.

I wonder if the words will become less as they leave the city. Also Led with his mask is a cool look

4/5 becuase some of the pages required me to zoom and re-read twice.

14 issues of backlog comics down. time for a break

I thought the first 2 issues of Tokyo Ghost were decent. Issue 3 is where it really picks up IMO.

Aizo

Banned
I'm strongly considering reading the first couple issues of Pretty Deadly.
I don't know if you ended up picking it up, but It's quite a nice book. Emma Ríos' art is phenomenal, and I personally quite like the story. If you like DeConnick, you'll probably enjoy this. Expect a Fantasy/Western with feminist undertones (they're not nearly as overt as Bitch Planet) and expressive art. Also, the text is pretty deep with metaphor, so it's a good read to sit and think about what DeConnick is trying to express through the events and characters.

VanWinkle

Most Marvel-ful haul day I've ever had. I'm more of a DC guy, but I LOVE Marvel, too. I'm really getting into their Marvel Now OHCs.

rsz_imag0447fixed.jpg

MattyG

Banned
Do you mean Neonomicon? My suggestion would be to not read it at all, let alone do some additional reading before it.

Unless you are a huge Alan Moore fan. (In which case, I still wouldn't recommend it).
Oh shit, I've been reading it wrong this whole time! What's wrong with it? Just not good?

Edit: Ohhhh... it sounds like it deals with the issue of rape in a less than stellar way. I really want to read it because the Lovecraft slant sounds really intriguing, but now I think I may cancel my order. Maybe I'll just order the first couple volumes of Locke and Key instead.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I don't know if you ended up picking it up, but It's quite a nice book. Emma Ríos' art is phenomenal, and I personally quite like the story. If you like DeConnick, you'll probably enjoy this. Expect a Fantasy/Western with feminist undertones (they're not nearly as overt as Bitch Planet) and expressive art. Also, the text is pretty deep with metaphor, so it's a good read to sit and think about what DeConnick is trying to express through the events and characters.

Funny you should mention the art. My thoughts from last night....

I really want to like Pretty Deadly but the art really is not doing it for me. Besides just not looking that great it's pretty incomprehensible at times. After a few issues its starting to get a little annoying.

At this point I think I prefer Emma Rios as a writer.

arkon

Glad to see DC are back on the Starman Omnibus in paperback. I hope they finish out the series this time and with a decent release schedule. I was so annoyed when they cancelled volume 3 previously. I'm so glad I didn't go for the remaining hardcovers instead.

Also hopefully we get more Spectre, Martian Manhunter and the rest of the Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League run. I'd even take the fatter TPBs like they used to finish out the run of Hitman trades.

Aizo

Banned
Why is Rocket Girl releasing so damn slowly?
Funny you should mention the art. My thoughts from last night....

At this point I think I prefer Emma Rios as a writer.
Interesting. I can understand why someone might not like it, as it's a bit rough sometimes, but I think it's beautiful.

Oh shit, I've been reading it wrong this whole time! What's wrong with it? Just not good?

I had no clue what it was about once I was done reading it. Just that I had read a comic with lots of monster rape.

I had to look further online to at least try to understand what it was about. Turns out Moore trying to make a statement about Lovecraft. As in, "Lovecraft just hinted at sexual horror but wasn't brave enough to go all the way - so I will".

MattyG

Banned
I had no clue what it was about once I was done reading it. Just that I had read a comic with lots of monster rape.

I had to look further online to at least try to understand what it was about. Turns out Moore trying to make a statement about Lovecraft. As in, "Lovecraft just hinted at sexual horror but wasn't brave enough to go all the way - so I will".
Yeah, I just read some reviews that said it was a bit too preoccupied with sex and rape. Just tried to cancel my order on Amazon, as it sounds like Locke and Key would be a better choice for what I'm looking for.

Yeah, I just read some reviews that said it was a bit too preoccupied with sex and rape. Just tried to cancel my order on Amazon, as it sounds like Locke and Key would be a better choice for what I'm looking for.

Locke and Key is supposed to be pretty good, I've seen lots of positive reviews from ComcisGAF.

If you do want to read Neonomicon, maybe you can borrow it from your local library if they have it? That's where I read it from. Though some some libraries pulled it from their shelves.

Messi

Locke and Key is supposed to be pretty good, I've seen lots of positive reviews from ComcisGAF.

If you do want to read Neonomicon, maybe you can borrow it from your local library if they have it? That's where I read it from. Though some some libraries pulled it from their shelves.

Locke and Key is amazing. Its final issue got the #2 book of the month here on Neogaf when it released. So it must be pretty good.

frye

Pretty Deadly was like a whole year.

It wasn't really a hiatus in the same way, though. It ended as a complete story and there was no specific talk of when it would come back or in what form --they just ended up continuing the numbering instead of relaunching for what as basically a second volume.

Messi

Ewing trying to make me read more of his book. It's almost working ;)

How about this. Give America her own solo book and stop fluffing around the edges by having her be awesome in team books and really compelling when hanging around with Kate and her other friends. Lets do this shit.

PsychBat!

Banned
How about this. Give America her own solo book and stop fluffing around the edges by having her be awesome in team books and really compelling when hanging around with Kate and her other friends. Lets do this shit.

What kind of book would it be?

mreddie

One where she is badass and she goes around saving the world from threats as she does. She would also have a support system from Kate and co.

You still need at least a good first arc.

Also, it's a lock Howling, Herc and Angie all got canned right?

Messi

Oh okay. I would read that. I thought you were gonna say slice of life.

It would have a bit of that. But not girly hijinks. America doesn't work like that, she can be sassy with Kate but they would go on hero missions.

You still need at least a good first arc.

Also, it's a lock Howling, Herc and Angie all got canned right?

The first two have trades just marked as TP without the Vol 1. Angela's trade isn't solicited yet but she doesn't have an issue in May. I would say thats a bad sign to go along with the not great sales. I think its done but I dont want to believe. Recent tweets from Bennet saying she was proud of what they had done on the book and so on so forth led me to believe she knows its done.

mreddie

The first two have trades just marked as TP without the Vol 1. Angela's trade isn't solicited yet but she doesn't have an issue in May. I would say thats a bad sign to go along with the not great sales. I think its done but I dont want to believe. Recent tweets from Bennet saying she was proud of what they had done on the book and so on so forth led me to believe she knows its done.

Secret Wars fucked it over.

Messi

idk bout dat

It dropped from the last issue of Asgard Assassin being 22k to the most recent issue of Queen of Hel being 18k. Those aren't good enough for marvel and it shows the book is still bleeding readers. Reboots really haven't helped the book regardless of the fact that Bennet has clearly tried to keep telling the same story throughout the relaunches (sucessfully I might add, the book is awesome and beautiful)

Btw the first post SW issue did 44k. So people did check it out.

Top Bottom