• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

Ok I am just going to buy the first issue of both x men team books and wolverine.

I will then drop 1 of them. Because I don't think I can keep up with all 3

Edit: throw in vision #1 because why the hell not

Will post impressions in about an hour

Always fun to see new people pick up Vision.

TheFlow

Banned
low #11- damn Della Caine has serious issues and I am worried what she will become.

Paper girls #4-5- wtf did I just read. Not sure where this is going but there are so many questions

ReiGun

Yo comics-gaf. Need your help with something.

So I work with kids, running a center where they are tutored in reading and they've recently taken a shine to comics. They've always loved superheroes, and while I've mostly being giving them the Marvel and DC chapter books, I have started introducing actual comics into the mix. I started off with Princeless and Squirrel Girl and both have instant hits. The former especially, with one kid already declaring it her favorite book.

I want to get more trades to bring into center for them. Problem is, I'm really having trouble finding kid appropriate action comics, given my somewhat limited knowledge of comics beyond what I'm personally interested in. I was hoping you all could give me some recs.

Quick guidelines:

- The kids are 2nd to 5th grade, so content-appropriateness is important. Which means minimal/cartoonish violence, definitely no cursing or sex (that hokey cursing with words like "blasted" from the olden days should be fine. Costumes on female characters...I mean, we have Wonder Woman books so a little sexualization is fine but...look you guys aren't dumb. You know what I mean lol), and few religious themes. Princeless and Squirrel Girl, if you've read them, should give you an idea of about where I'm aiming.

- Superheroes the kids like: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, TMNT. Will totally take suggestions for non-superhero or lesser known heroes, but I kind of want to stick with Marvel and DC as closely as possible because the kids usually gravitate to things they recognize...and I want them to actually pick up the books so I don't waste my money. (We've had a Calvin and Hobbes book for months and I think all of one kid has decided to read it. Most don't know what it is, so they avoid it)

- I also want to get diverse books. My kids are mostly Black, but I also have a lot of migrant kids who are Nepali, Pakistani, etc.

- My kids are also struggling readers (a few months to a few years behind grade level), so keep that in mind. Now these books are mostly going to be read to them by their tutors, but I do want things they can understand. Again, use Squirrel Girl and Princeless as guides.

Right now, I have Powerpuff Girls, Superman Birthright, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol 1, Ms. Marvel Vol 1, and Princeless Book 2 sitting my cart. I haven't read all of these in full (or in the case of Birthright, haven't read in a while), so tell me if anything isn't suitable for the kids. How's the current TMNT comic from IDW? I haven't added it yet, but I was thinking about that too.

TheFlow

Banned
VISION #1

so fucking dark and you guys say it gets worse? One thing I know for sure
the vision is going to have to put his family to sleep. Also one of the visions kill the famil? awww that is sooo sad

Messi

So I work with kids, running a center where they are tutored in reading and they've recently taken a shine to comics. They've always loved superheroes, and while I've mostly being giving them the Marvel and DC chapter books, I have started introducing actual comics into the mix. I started off with Princeless and Squirrel Girl and both have instant hits. The former especially, with one kid already declaring it her favorite book.

I want to get more trades to bring into center for them. Problem is, I'm really having trouble finding kid appropriate action comics, given my somewhat limited knowledge of comics beyond what I'm personally interested in. I was hoping you all could give me some recs.

Quick guidelines:

- The kids are 2nd to 5th grade, so content-appropriateness is important. Which means minimal/cartoonish violence, definitely no cursing or sex (that hokey cursing with words like "blasted" from the olden days should be fine. Costumes on female characters...I mean, we have Wonder Woman books so a little sexualization is fine but...look you guys aren't dumb. You know what I mean lol), and few religious themes. Princeless and Squirrel Girl, if you've read them, should give you an idea of about where I'm aiming.

- Superheroes the kids like: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, TMNT. Will totally take suggestions for non-superhero or lesser known heroes, but I kind of want to stick with Marvel and DC as closely as possible because the kids usually gravitate to things they recognize...and I want them to actually pick up the books so I don't waste my money. (We've had a Calvin and Hobbes book for months and I think all of one kid has decided to read it. Most don't know what it is, so they avoid it)

- I also want to get diverse books. My kids are mostly Black, but I also have a lot of migrant kids who are Nepali, Pakistani, etc.

- My kids are also struggling readers (a few months to a few years behind grade level), so keep that in mind. Now these books are mostly going to be read to them by their tutors, but I do want things they can understand. Again, use Squirrel Girl and Princeless as guides.

Right now, I have Powerpuff Girls, Superman Birthright, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol 1, Ms. Marvel Vol 1, and Princeless Book 2 sitting my cart. I haven't read all of these in full (or in the case of Birthright, haven't read in a while), so tell me if anything isn't suitable for the kids. How's the current TMNT comic from IDW? I haven't added it yet, but I was thinking about that too.

Check out Lumberjanes

VISION #1

so fucking dark and you guys say it gets worse? One thing I know for sure
the vision is going to have to put his family to sleep. Also one of the visions kill the famil? awww that is sooo sad

giphy.gif

Amazing book and it gets better and crazier lol.

spoilers for when you read the rest.
The mother of that family is the breakout Marvel character of 2015/2016 imo. She is fucking incredible.

Quick guidelines:

Ms Marvel is definitely a must if they enjoy superheroes. It's age-appropriate.

Also, Lumberjanes. It's a great book for kids.

I would not recommend TMNT; it's tugging towards being for teenagers.

PsychBat!

Banned
UC Spider-Man is definitely for older readers and TMNT is more violent than you think. Both of these would not be suitable for the kids you're describing.

Might I recommend this:
250px-Irredeemable_Cassaday_cover_art.jpg

Jokes aside, Spider-Man and TMNT are a no-no. Your kids are a bit too young.

Zombine

Banned

Quick guidelines:

Teacher here, get them hooked on amulet which is a reading level Q book:

0439846811.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Messi

Is Silver Surfer by Allred and Slott suitable? I think it is magical but i'm not sure what age group it is. Same goes for Jem and the Holograms.

What about the Tiny Titans books?

250px-Tiny_Titans_1.jpg

Zombine

Banned
Is Silver Surfer by Allred and Slott suitable? I think it is magical but i'm not sure what age group it is. Same goes for Jem and the Holograms.

No they aren't really. The level is a bit high for that grade level. The 5th graders might get it but the younger ones not so much.

Have you looked at Lumberjanes?

Also, look these up and see if anything might interest them.

Oz - Skottie Young
Donald Duck/Uncle Scrooge - Carl Barks
Mouse Guard

If you want something more in the adventure mode, Herge's comics could also work - Tintin/ Jo, Zette and Jocko.

Messi

Catwoman by Nocenti?

It feels like a child wrote it.

I am sorry I don't mean that. please I was just trying to be funny.

arkon

Quick guidelines:

Some of my go-to recommendations I feel would be quite suitable. Thor the Mighty Avenger by Roger Langridge and Chris Samnee. Spider-Man/Human Torch: I'm With Stupid by Dan Slott and Ty Templeton.

The Adventure Time comics by Boom are also worth checking out, particularly the first 35 or so issues of the main series as they are written by Ryan North (also the writer on Squirrel Girl)

TheFlow

Banned
All New X-men #1- it was decent but I might drop

All new wolverine #1- fucking awesome. loved the dream sequence and callback to x-force with logan.

Extraordinary x-men #1 way better than all new x men. I like the way this book reads and Magik is awesome

edit:no more comics for me tonight. Just read 7 issues of new series and my brain needs to process it.

ReiGun

Thank you all. I took off USM and added Lumberjanes, Amulet, Tiny Titans, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Study Hall of Justice, and I'm checking out FirstSecond books now.

Have you looked at Lumberjanes?

Also, look these up and see if anything might interest them.

Oz - Skottie Young
Donald Duck/Uncle Scrooge - Carl Barks
Mouse Guard

If you want something more in the adventure mode, Herge's comics could also work - Tintin/ Jo, Zette and Jocko.
I'll keep these in mind too.

Some of my go-to recommendations I feel would be quite suitable. Thor the Mighty Avenger by Roger Langridge and Chris Samnee. Spider-Man/Human Torch: I'm With Stupid by Dan Slott and Ty Templeton.

The Adventure Time comics by Boom are also worth checking out, particularly the first 35 or so issues of the main series as they are written by Ryan North (also the writer on Squirrel Girl)

Forgot all about Thor: The Mighty Avenger! Spidet/HT would be their jam too. I'll put these on the list. (I'm already getting so many and I only have but so much money. lol)

My kids generally don't like Adventure Time. Or at least, have no idea what it is. lol

OML is the only one I'm currently reading. Was into Extraordinary for a bit until I got bored. Sinister is instant snoozeville bro.
I haven't read the most recent issue, yet, but I still like it. My only problem is Young Jean. What the fuck happened to Rachel Grey? Perfectly good psychic right there.

Quick guidelines:

I always recommend silver-age stuff for kids. It's what I read at that age. You can pick that up in Marvel's Essentials volumes. Cheap and a lot of content, but beware that it's black and white. Dunno if that's a deal breaker.

Otherwise, looking at my shelf...I got nothing.

How about Giant Sized Little Marvel AvX by Scottie Young for the kids?

And this!

frye

I may have done something a little foolish with my tax return.
(Like order all the Plastic Man Archives...)

I'm slightly jealous but fwiw, it stops at the 8th volume which came out 5? years ago and remains fairly incomplete. Also I hope you didn't end up having to pay retail price for them because man Archives/Masterworks are rough on the wallet!

Thank you all. I took off USM and added Lumberjanes, Amulet, Tiny Titans, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Study Hall of Justice, and I'm checking out FirstSecond books now.

I'll keep these in mind too.

Forgot all about Thor: The Mighty Avenger! Spidet/HT would be their jam too. I'll put these on the list. (I'm already getting so many and I only have but so much money. lol)

My kids generally don't like Adventure Time. Or at least, have no idea what it is. lol

A new paperback of Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the Eight Grade is coming out soon and is kinda in that Tiny Titans vein

Messi

All New X-men #1- it was decent but I might drop

All new wolverine #1- fucking awesome. loved the dream sequence and callback to x-force with logan.

Extraordinary x-men #1 way better than all new x men. I like the way this book reads and Magik is awesome

edit:no more comics for me tonight. Just read 7 issues of new series and my brain needs to process it.

Pls return with more Vision impressions. I am living vicariously through your impressions of books I have already read.

I agree with these most recent impressions too.

TheFlow

Banned
I will have some more impressions posted tomorrow then.

I am kinda scared all new wolverine is going to turn to shit but yolo.

I'm slightly jealous but fwiw, it stops at the 8th volume which came out 5? years ago and remains fairly incomplete. Also I hope you didn't end up having to pay retail price for them because man Archives/Masterworks are rough on the wallet!

Yeah, a shame they stopped there. But I'll take what I can get.

Found some decent deals, averaged out to about $18 per book.

Weiss

Banned
So is X-Men omnibus vol. 3 out? Amazon says March 1st but it seems instocktrades has it, but they don't have a date on it so I'm not sure. Would it not have a page if it wasn't available? I'm not sure how instocktrades works.

Messi

So is X-Men omnibus vol. 3 out? Amazon says March 1st but it seems instocktrades has it, but they don't have a date on it so I'm not sure. Would it not have a page if it wasn't available? I'm not sure how instocktrades works.

Amazon gets their books usually two or three weeks after IST and comic shops. IST doesn't do Pre-orders. It's out. So buy it there.

Quick guidelines:

some of this is stuff I havent read but I think fits what youre looking for
current Gotham Academy series
current Batgirl series
Superman Adventures
Thor The Mighty Adventure
Avatar the Last Airbender comics
She Hulk by Dan Slott
She Hulk by Soule
Scott Pilgrim
Lumberjanes
Nimona

TheFlow

Banned
Scott Pilgrim for elementary students? Not a good idea.

Power Man and Iron Fist #1
Hands down my favorite so far from Marvel. The dialog was just fantastic. I want the netflix Danny to act just like this.

Spider Man #1
Loved this one as well. I haven't read a spidey book in years but I am down for this series. Also
hory shit at Peter Parker showing up. Some solid dialog is about to go down next issue

also his venom shock thing is cool, and I hope Miles keeps it but I would like to see enemies learn how to counteract the venom or whatever in later issues.

Messi

Scott Pilgrim for elementary students? Not a good idea.

Power Man and Iron Fist #1
Hands down my favorite so far from Marvel. The dialog was just fantastic. I want the netflix Danny to act just like this.

Spider Man #1
Loved this one as well. I haven't read a spidey book in years but I am down for this series. Also
hory shit at Peter Parker showing up. Some solid dialog is about to go down next issue

also his venom shock thing is cool, and I hope Miles keeps it but I would like to see enemies learn how to counteract the venom or whatever in later issues.

The Venom blast has been a bone of contention for some time now. You will find that enemies don't learn and don't deal with it and it gets miles out of pretty much any situation.

Still love that book though.

frye

Yeah, a shame they stopped there. But I'll take what I can get.

Found some decent deals, averaged out to about $18 per book.

yeah, that's a fair price. I'm pretty sure a lot of those books haven't sold as well as Marvel and DC hoped and end up sitting in warehouses before getting liquidated to retailers dirt cheap. There's a store here that sold/sells then at 20 bux a pop

VanWinkle

Spidey is an all ages book, right? And I mean the actual series called Spidey. That could be a good choice for the kids.

Edit: oh yeah it probably won't have a trade for awhile.

mreddie

Try...

54fefa4f88ef9.jpg

StevenUniverse01_COVER-B.jpg

I was gonna read X-Force/Cable: Messiah War tonight, but all the Young Justice and Rebirth talk in the other threads made me want some good ol' DC. So I'm gonna read Batman Beyond 2.0: Justice Lords Beyond instead.

I was going to recommend Avatar, but I didn't consider it a superhero comic. Still, it would work.

Top Bottom