• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

Li Kao

Ohmygad ! I still have not (will I be able to ?) finalized my pull list but I read some comics ! Now how will I specify which comic with all those relaunches and reboots and whatnot...

All-New Hawkeye #01 (2015) - Very very good art, and a solid rhythm due to being basically a giant chase / fight scene intertwined with flashbacks. But seriously lacking in memorable elements. I mean this is like the first few pages of a first chapter.
Nitpicking but I get a little disconnect with the mix of 'gritty' real killings with arrows and 'stupid jokes' like talk to the hand. Not an issue, I guess the joke was just bad.

Thor #02 (2015) - Solid all around too, but a little on the light side plot-wise. Not exactly memorable. Good comics 101 I guess, nothing to criticize but nothing to fawn over..

Angela Asgard Assassin #04 (2015) - I don't particularly like the character or her addition to the MU and I don't know if it's me or the drawing that do sometimes fail to describe the plot, but I had some hard time understanding the narration at a few point during the first four issues. Like the story revelation scene in this one, who the fuck are you talking to lady ?
That being said, entertaining, funny, relatively interesting, writer creates a lore that is not an evident failure... this get my pick of the night. I'm warming up to Angela. Hawkeye got the better art, but there is not enough plot there to be something other than a beautiful (and entertaining) book. Didn't please my "ploty-bone".

And yeah, seemingly random comics read because I had read the former issues and would like to ride some titles through Secret Wars.

HAvrat2.gif

Bayley is marriage material, as the kids say.

Flash Rebirth any good?

It's not as good as Green Lantern Rebirth but it's still decent.

Messi

I hope Ramon Perez learns how to erase his previous pencils and mistakes before he draws another Hawkeye issue. #3 was embarrassing.

It's terrible garbage, as is GL Rebirth.
Such a hyperbolic post

You're aware both, especially GL Rebirth, have been well received? I'm gonna assume that you are. In which case, you know your opinion is an outlier and decide to post it without contextualizing.

Kind of a shitty thing to do when someone one is looking to find out if a book is 'good'

Owzers

Even if i consider caving on civil war 2, i 'm not currently buying the series it revolves around, i really should just wait for MU on this one. It's Bendis people, Bendis!

What's the best place to buy statues in the U.S.? DCBS charges in advance and you can't cancel anything, only get an exchange ( if available) if it's broken. I need a place that thinks paint quality is a human right.

frye

what's with this trend of Marvel redoing Mark Millar comics and putting the least Millar-esque writers they have (Bendis and Lemire) on them anyways

shingi70

Banned
About Rebirth I want to know what's up with Legends of Tomororw and Bloodlines, don't want to invest in stories that are cancelled 2-3 issues in.

Also BC is full of shit, they're saying that the JSA is back on the main earth, but earth-2 is a Rebirth book.

Batman Beyond 2.0 Vol. 2: Justice Lords Beyond

After having read the first volume of the BB2.0 series, I was pulled in. I thought it was really engaging and a great expansion on to the universe and mythos I loved for so long. It also went to a significantly darker place than I thought it would (the Man-Bat storyline still gives me chills). So naturally, when I see that the next volume is based on one of my favorite episodes from the JL cartoon, I couldn't help but contain my excitement. The question becomes: does it deliver?

Well, the answer is "yes." Yes it does.

I feel like this book just hits all the right points, and does such a good job of building off of the plot of the previous storyline within the cartoon. Wonder Woman went over to the Justice Lords timeline to help stabilize it after Lord Superman gained his powers back. Her and Lord Batman fought Lord Superman and Lord Wonder Woman. So now, WW shows back up, and thus the mystery begins. It was really fascinating and pulled me in. Part of why I've grown to love Extended Universe-type stuff is because I enjoy seeing how previous storylines are used as a jumping point. Given that, this story is no exception. I love the extra mythology, and just for the reasons I stated previously, but also because the story is just done well.

The story does a great job at saying: here's the status of the world. Here's what's happened. Here's what's happening. Now plot. This does incorporate a problem though: The entire time I was reading, I was so confused about this new Justice League. Now granted, I've seen the BB animated series, so I knew of most of the JL members and their origins: Warhawk, Aquagirl, the new Green Lantern, and Micron. Barda and Mr. Miracle are self-explanatory, and while I managed to pick up on the new Flash's story somewhat, the new Captain Marvel confused me. At one point, the Black Adam of the Justice Lord timeline, named White Adam, depowers Captain Marvel (he yells "SHAZAM" while they're touching"), and reveals Black Adam. It's really, really confusing. On top of that, they keep referencing Brainiac attacking Metropolis, and this new kid, "Zod." Now, obviously the events are interconnected, but since I really haven't read that much of the Beyond universe, I'm just lost at certain points.

I also have an issue with the story near the end: once Lord Superman is beaten in a fantastically drawn fight, the art changes at some point with no explanation for the change. It seems like a new issue (given the break in story), but there's no indicator as to confirm this. This is unlike the rest of the book which does have pages that say when a new issue is taking place, akin to most trades. The art changes, and then later reverts back and it's really confusing. Another part that bugs me is actually before Lord Superman is beaten: when everyone is rallied to fight, the Justice Lords and the Justice League, it's kind of dumb. Some of the members of the new Lords seem genuinely sadistic, so it seems off that they would just team up like that. Didn't make sense that they would act like they had no idea what was going on.

Regardless of my issues, though they are important, the action and pacing of this arc were enough to pull me in, as well as the additional mythos provided. Given Higgins and Gage's writing (even though Higgins' Nightwing run soured me), and the art, this story is as fun to read as it is just to look at.
EDIT: Oh, never mind. It's a crossover. Still confused, though it looks like I'll need to read some Justice League Beyond. I'm okay with that.
That would be a nice surprise.

Wouldn't it, though?

TheFlow

Banned
Vision #2-4

Lord have mercy hands down the darkest and murderous title from Marvel that I read.
like the dude killed his own son

Also I guess it is confirmed that
his whole family will die or be put to sleep

Messi

Vision #2-4

Lord have mercy hands down the darkest and murderous title from Marvel that I read.
like the dude killed his own son

Also I guess it is confirmed that
his whole family will die or be put to sleep

MS.VISION.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Ok I feel like Emma Rios/Jordie Bellaire really took things to the next level for the second arc of Pretty Deadly. Through 3 issues this arc is so much better looking than the first IMO.

Weiss

Banned
It's okay. It's an unnecessary retcon to the fullest, so the story isn't great. If you want speedster action, it's not a bad pick, though.

I'd say she's more friend material. I wouldn't marry her, but I'd be BFFs with her

That's a bit hyperbolic on both counts

Let's not get carried away here.

Such a hyperbolic post

You're aware both, especially GL Rebirth, have been well received? I'm gonna assume that you are. In which case, you know your opinion is an outlier and decide to post it without contextualizing.

Kind of a shitty thing to do when someone one is looking to find out if a book is 'good'

Sure, let me elaborate.

It's Geoff Johns' Mary Sue fanfic about his favourite character that he couldn't accept had died, whose sole memorable moment was the time he died and was replaced by an infinitely superior character. The entire story is page after page of trying to jam this tired, worn out character into a universe that's evolved beyond them, entirely for the better, and attempts to do so by having everyone talk at length about how he's the coolest dude on the block. A popular character shows up to be the voice of dissent before being taken down because they didn't believe in the inherent greatness of Johns' pet character, and ultimately it ends by ascribing an artificial importance to the returning microwaved leftovers, pretending that there are super deep and meaningful reasons for their return and not just because old white men couldn't let go of their favourite comic book character, who were removed from the spotlight entirely because, at the time, nobody cared who they were.

Now which one am I talking about again?

They're bad comics. I'm fine calling them bad comics.

The Force Awakens Comic Adaption is coming
http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...lish-star-wars-force-awakens-comic-adaptation

Chuck Wendinh and Luke Ross, Covers from Esas Ribic

In for a collected edition.

Thanks but no thanks. I got over Star Wars fever sometime last month.

There's an ending to Star Wars fever?

https://secure.marvel.com/user/forgotpassword

Seems like Comixology/Marvel Digital Store was hacked, please update your Passwords

Thanks, haven't changed mine for a while anyway.

Sure, let me elaborate.

It's Geoff Johns' Mary Sue fanfic about his favourite character that he couldn't accept had died, whose sole memorable moment was the time he died and was replaced by an infinitely superior character. The entire story is page after page of trying to jam this tired, worn out character into a universe that's evolved beyond them, entirely for the better, and attempts to do so by having everyone talk at length about how he's the coolest dude on the block. A popular character shows up to be the voice of dissent before being taken down because they didn't believe in the inherent greatness of Johns' pet character, and ultimately it ends by ascribing an artificial importance to the returning microwaved leftovers, pretending that there are super deep and meaningful reasons for their return and not just because old white men couldn't let go of their favourite comic book character, who were removed from the spotlight entirely because, at the time, nobody cared who they were.

Now which one am I talking about again?

They're bad comics. I'm fine calling them bad comics.

Fair enough. I'd still say both are alright and not that bad, but fair enough none the less.

frye

At least with GL:Rebirth you can at least point to the stuff that came after. Who would care about that 12 issue Flash run if not for Flashpoint? Hell, do people even care about Flashpoint?

both are bad comics

Top Bottom