• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

Messi

The comic industry is going to topple if you ever stop reading. Keep going, Messi. You are the hero we deserve.

Read comics?

200w.gif

I read like one comic this week I think.

List:
Hellboy And The B.P.R.D. 1953 Beyond The Fences #1 (Of 3)
Justice League #48
Cry Havoc #2
Patsy Walker A.K.A. Hellcat #3
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #5
Kill Your Boyfriend Vinamarama Deluxe Edition HC

Forgot the KYB/Vinamarama HC was coming so that's a nice surprise.

arkon

I am keeping good pace for my 1000-comics-in-2016 attempt. (I think arkon was trying this too). Just hit 200.

Yeah. I'm ahead of the pace I was looking to set myself which is good, because inevitably I'll drop off at some point. I'm at 298 currently.

Already read 10 today!

Just caught up with a bunch of All New All Different Marvel titles, and it's interesting to start seeing the thematic foundation of the line. Right now, there seems to be an editorial emphasis on new legacy characters rather than focus on the original Stan Lee creations -- TA Hulk, American Chavez, Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales, Ms. Marvel, Blue Marvel, etc., etc.

Sure, this could be partly because of how the film rights for various characters are out of their control (With Doom, Wolverine and Galactus stuck at Fox, I see Marvel saying, "Fuck it. Do whatever"). And sure, you could be cynical and chalk it up to Marvel refreshing various trademarks. Instead, I like to see it as forward progress, not just in terms of diversity, but in building NEW history for the universe.

That's my problem with most books that focus so much on continuity. They're so focused on rehashing old stories and characters, that everything becomes static, the universe becomes unchanging. These new characters taking over legacy heroes roles, there's a re-contextualization of what that hero means that just doesn't happen when the same dude or woman is in that role for half a century. There's a sense of moving on (but locking up them valuable trademarks). A lot of Marvel right now reminds me of DC in the 90s, back when Jack Knight, Kyle Rayner, Wally West, Nightwing and all those heroes were grappling with the legacies they were taking on.

Creatively, ANAD Marvel isn't as strong as Marvel Now (Hickman, Aaron, Remender, Gillen, Fraction...Basically, all the current Image writing all-stars), but I do think it's potentially fertile ground for more forward thinking stories. And it's been a thrill watching Al Ewing swag on that.

diaspora

Part of what disappoints me about Spider-Gwen is that it's street-level world seems interesting to explore story-wise. Cop-Frank and Daredevil as Kingpin's lawyer seem like interesting twists on existing characters but it feels wasted.

Li Kao

Part of what disappoints me about Spider-Gwen is that it's street-level world seems interesting to explore story-wise. Cop-Frank and Daredevil as Kingpin's lawyer seem like interesting twists on existing characters but it feels wasted.

Wait, Spider-Gwen is in another universe ?

Marvel wouldn't do that to their best ongoing would they...

Well with the whole trend of caring for a wider audience (clear as day with many publishers) and the critical reception of titles like Squirrel-Girl, it would even make sense to make an hardcover even if taking a loss.

Messi

Wait, Spider-Gwen is in another universe ?

Well with the whole trend of caring for a wider audience (clear as day with many publishers) and the critical reception of titles like Squirrel-Girl, it would even make sense to make an hardcover even if taking a loss.

Yeah Gwen is dead in our universe

Spider Gwen still has her universe hopping device from Spider verse though. Her and jess hang out in one of Gwen's issues. It was fun.

Messi

Minis are often Collected, too. They just released the Secret Wars Marvel Babys Mini and it is just 6 Issues.

But King is now at DC and that could be a problem

I more meant when he implied Squirrel Girl was Marvels best ongoing (it's lovely) if I said vision I'd be wrong as its a mini. I hope it gets am OHC.

The little AvX OHC is the Skottie Young effect.

Top Bottom