• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

Tomita

Eh, it doesn't really follow any continuity. I kind of liked his take on it.
I especially enjoyed the 'using the detective skills' angle of his inner dialogue. Kind of makes sense to me that he'd be a little 'different' considering what he's going through, but still has a lot of the upbeat positivity of the character.

I don't mean it in a continuity way, just....Kids don't ever talk/think like that ever, haha.
But since Tim's a freaking genius and Damian is...a freak of nature, if it came from them I could shrug it off better. Not saying that like I'm trying to compare all the Robins or like American Alien would follow 100% canon...but usually Dick is the "normal kid" / generic one when he's written--like the "default Robin" kid, when someone isn't 100% trying to write "Robin" in character. So it's funny to have him be a huge smart aleck. That's all. I found it amusing more than anything--and it's not unusual to screw up kid's dialogue, either. I too liked the detective / "have to impress Bruce" angle, but the vocab level was not on par with the average ten year old, lol.
It was still fun/interesting, regardless. :p

MattyG

Banned
What would be some good Deadpool trades to pick up for a beginner? I'm thinking of grabbing the Deadpool and Cable omnibus, but what else is there? Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe? I kind of want to read Killustrated, so I guess I'd have to do Marvel Universe first?

Messi

Maybe I'll check it out. But damn, Messi. I have no interest in dropping as much on weekly comics as you do. That's some serious statue money.

Not do you have to. Wait for a sale and pick up an issue or two.

I know I am not normal when it comes to weekly lists.

What would be some good Deadpool trades to pick up for a beginner? I'm thinking of grabbing the Deadpool and Cable omnibus, but what else is there? Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe? I kind of want to read Killustrated, so I guess I'd have to do Marvel Universe first?

Cable and Deadpool is good fun, I'd recommend it if you're up for buying the omnibus.

The Deadpool stuff that started with Marvel NOW is supposed to be good too. Haven't read it though.

Messi

Cable and Deadpool is good fun, I'd recommend it if you're up for buying the omnibus.

The Deadpool stuff that started with Marvel NOW is supposed to be good too. Haven't read it though.

I seen you ducking me on street fighter. Don't think I didn't see you log off .

MattyG

Banned

Awesome. I'll grab that omnibus. I also think I'm gonna sub to Marvel Unlimited. It'll save me money in the long run with the amount I'm planning to read (I think).

Just subbed for a month. I didn't realize all the Deadpool stuff since 2008 is on there. That'll definitely save me a lot. I'd rather have physical copies, but this'll allow me to read way more, so it's worth it.

Fastlane....was bad. Maybe it had to be this way in order to have
the return of the true champion ROMAN REIGNS

Reigns gets his opportunity.....that the heel authority figure gave him for no reason, after putting him up against 29 other guys just to get the title off him. For fuck sake....

I used to think I just adopted the mindset that everything was shit to avoid hype culture, now I really am convinced everything is shit.

Let's all appreciate the next true star of WWE, Shinsuke Nakamura's dress sense:
CbykH8vWAAA2ymY.jpg

What a suit. Swagsuke indeed.

Megatron

Awesome. I'll grab that omnibus. I also think I'm gonna sub to Marvel Unlimited. It'll save me money in the long run with the amount I'm planning to read (I think).

Just subbed for a month. I didn't realize all the Deadpool stuff since 2008 is on there. That'll definitely save me a lot. I'd rather have physical copies, but this'll allow me to read way more, so it's worth it.

That's a good way to go. You could also grab the first few deadpool classics trades. The first one has the first two deadpool mini series plus somewhat annoyingly, only the first issue of joe Kelly's great run on deadpool's first ongoing series. The second trade has the next 8 or so issues, and so on. The kelly run is a good place to start for deadpool. I guess weasel is introduced in the mini series, and blind Al is introduced in the Kelly run.

Sandfox

It went about it in a really long winded way lol

Has Odinson been seen on this new Earth yet?
It was done that way to pull off the Thunderbolts style reveal. And Odinson hasn't shown up yet from my understanding, but he obviously will at some point.
Can Marvel go a full week without announcing another boring event of some sort?

This is for the 75th Anniversary of Captain America and I'm expecting good things from Spencer.

CW2 talk is getting old, what event comes after that?

Whatever snoozer Marvel comes with after that. I think the big two in general have become entirely too dependent on events. Can we just have regular storylines carrying on as normal for six months without being interrupted by shitty crossovers and tie-ins?

Messi

But what if Odinson NEVER COMES BACK????

Whatever snoozer Marvel comes with after that. I think the big two in general have become entirely too dependent on events. Can we just have regular storylines carrying on as normal for six months without being interrupted by shitty crossovers and tie-ins?

But Secret Wars and it's tie ins were amazing...

Owzers

Small mercies

Edit:

Not all of them. But okay, we'll call that a win. But how many shitty events came before it? Age of Ultron, SIXIS, Secret Invasion, Siege, Fear Itself, Original Sin... I can go on all day.

The Marvel Universe was never the same again so many times.

The Marvel Universe was never the same again so many times.

I will say this. Most of their events do start off pretty well. But Marvel can just never seem to stick the landing. Even Fear Itself kept my interest for an issue or two, but it went off the rails soon after, as so many Marvel events do.

Sandfox

I think Ultimates has a CW2 tie-in. ULTIMATES. That comic is mostly in space. Why?

The book probably will have at least one issue on it for obvious reasons, but the newest solic just says On the road to CIVIL WAR II! with the story itself seemingly having nothing to do with it.

Part of what disappoints me about Spider-Gwen is that it's street-level world seems interesting to explore story-wise. Cop-Frank and Daredevil as Kingpin's lawyer seem like interesting twists on existing characters but it feels wasted.
It seems like a lot of world-building, but not a lot of plot movement. The book was fine before Secret Wars, but since then it hasn't been hitting the right notes.
The wrestle card is awful, i'm only interested in the Reigns match. Big Show/Ryback/Kane vs Wyatts tag match....yeahhhhhhhh that's an idea.
Big Show thinks he's still a wrestler...HAH
It went about it in a really long winded way lol

Has Odinson been seen on this new Earth yet?
No, and neither has Ultimate Mjolnir.
I will say this. Most of their events do start off pretty well. But Marvel can just never seem to stick the landing. Even Fear Itself kept my interest for an issue or two, but it went off the rails soon after, as so many Marvel events do.
Well, Axis wasn't supposed to be an event, and if I recall neither was Original Sin or Fear Itself.

If that's the case, it means Marvel is actively trying to create more events than it actually has planned. Trying to turn smaller stories into large events fucks them up. I have no problem with crossovers or events, and long as it's treated as its own story. Don't take an existing portion of an author's run and try to turn it into an event. It's basically like if OnePiece (speaking strictly from an anime perspective) all of a sudden turn a necessary story arc into a single movie. Like if Marineford became a movie, but had no episodes to actually fill it in. You have to watch the movie in order to get the full run of the show, even though it's not actually part of the show.

Sandfox

It seems like a lot of world-building, but not a lot of plot movement. The book was fine before Secret Wars, but since then it hasn't been hitting the right notes.

Big Show thinks he's still a wrestler...HAH

No, and neither has Ultimate Mjolnir.

Well, Axis wasn't supposed to be an event, and if I recall neither was Original Sin or Fear Itself.

If that's the case, it means Marvel is actively trying to create more events than it actually has planned. Trying to turn smaller stories into large events fucks them up. I have no problem with crossovers or events, and long as it's treated as its own story. Don't take an existing portion of an author's run and try to turn it into an event. It's basically like if OnePiece (speaking strictly from an anime perspective) all of a sudden turn a necessary story arc into a single movie. Like if Marineford became a movie, but had no episodes to actually fill it in. You have to watch the movie in order to get the full run of the show, even though it's not actually part of the show.
IIRC people were complaining about a lack of world-building in Spider-Gwen prior to Secret Wars and now it seems like the writer took it too far lol.

Today is the day. I'm going to put a huge dent in my backlog. No more procrastinating.

I finally cleared out my pull box at my LCS.
I had about 10 Detective Comics floppies from the Black Mirror arc and more hes been holding (first batman I read was the Black Mirror tpb)..
Plus whatever random books I had adding up..

shingi70

Banned
People identify with Superman?

Pretty easy considering Clark Kent is up there with Peter Parker as the Ultimate everyman in comics. I remember Gene Luen Yang talked about he identified with Clark being an immigrant, and others with the adoption angle.

Top Bottom