• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

Li Kao

Ok boys, it's settled, comics are a joy. Yesterday's reads were like a fucking escalation in sequential pleasure. Not the feels I had with my best comics readings of the past, but that was damn closer than it has been for months.
But let's not rush ahead, first there was...

All-New Hawkeye 03 (2015)
And it was fantas... lol, no. It was a marked improvement because something happened (the semblance of a tired plot happened,
'something is rotten in the land of Shield'. Novel ! Avant-garde !
) and they dialed the flashback down this time.
And it's not bad. I mean nothing here is particularly bad, it's just clearly and definitely not enough. Try harder. Because some titles are pulverizing you. Read on...

Thor 04 (2015)
Like always with this title, I think there are really good things in it but it's just a little lacking, a little too much written for the trade for me maybe. Or good but flawed, don't know.
But it's cool enough.

The real stars of the show were...

All-New Captain America 06 (2015)
Pure. Unadulterated. Stupid. Fun.
Not groundbreaking by any means, it's just... I think 12-year-old me just fainted. Adventure, action, solid art, it's not revolutionizing anything, but it never wanted to. Just a very well executed helping of spandex action.

Angela, Asgard's Assassin 05 (2015)
Ok, that's it. Mr Kieron Gillen, Mrs Marguerite Bennett, you got me good. I was never an Angela fan and her inclusion in the Marvel universe seemed stupid and unnecessary.
I'm still not sold on the character but the writing team is knocking it out of the park.
They are Out-Thoring Thor.

The Unbeatable Squirrel-Girl 06 (2015)
It took several issues for me to acclimate to the art and I'm not sure North really succeeded in setting up the whole thing and being always interesting. But that, was near perfect. Applauds.
I near laughed out loud ffs ! That's something. So the zoo visit was golden, the Charles X. Avier thing was fun as hell, there is now a lovable and diverse cast...
I can only wish this is the quality level the series will hit now, it would make it a must read in my book.

The night winner was Squirrel-Girl, the zoo, people, the zoo. But it was a pretty crowded night quality wise, at least three super enjoyable books for me. So yeah. CELEBRATION !

Calcium

Banned
Ok boys, it's settled, comics are a joy.

So yeah. CELEBRATION !

giphy.gif

Pretty easy considering Clark Kent is up there with Peter Parker as the Ultimate everyman in comics. I remember Gene Luen Yang talked about he identified with Clark being an immigrant, and others with the adoption angle.
Pretty much. Strip away his powers and he's really just a guy doing what he thinks is right

GAMEPROFF

Banned
How can someone play the immigration card with Clark beeing white and raised as american as it can be?
Sorry, you can do this with an Elseworld Clark Kent maybe, but I think this incredible far fetched.

shingi70

Banned
How can someone play the immigration card with Clark beeing white and raised as american as it can be?
Sorry, you can do this with an Elseworld Clark Kent maybe, but I think this incredible far fetched.

Clark is the pure definition of someone who had his bubble pop, despite living as a human his whole life once he comes out as Superman dude has his bubble burst.

People identify with Batman?

We've all felt small and powerless at times. Fantasizing about being able to take power with our own hands is enormously appealing, and his rigid moral code (well, in most cases) serves as a barrier against some of the more... negative implications of such an action.

shingi70

Banned
I'd vote for Luthor knowing that the fight between the US Government and Superman would be an epic spectacle. Plus you'd know that with Superman gone, Lex would probably be a really good president.

frye

I'd vote for Luthor knowing that the fight between the US Government and Superman would be an epic spectacle. Plus you'd know that with Superman gone, Lex would probably be a really good president.

This reminds me of that thing in All Star where Lex says something like "I could've saved the world if you weren't here" and Superman responds by saying if saving the world mattered to Lex, he would have done it a long time ago

This reminds me of that thing in All Star where Lex says something like "I could've saved the world if you weren't here" and Superman responds by saying if saving the world mattered to Lex, he would have done it a long time ago

The thing is, on the one hand Lex has a point: Because Superman can do everything, Lex sees him as something the human race will rely too much on, stagnating and no longer growing. That's the side of Lex that people see and go, "Oh. The man has a point." On the other hand, he's a greedy megalomaniac who hates Superman because he has more power. Then he decides to pout in a corner going "No but look at me tho."

Top Bottom