• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

Afrodium

Banned
MU has finally caught up with the Secret Wars drought. Can't wait for ANAD to land so I can finally get back into following current(ish) books.

While waiting for MU to catch up to where I dropped their monthlies, I've been digging into my backlog and hugely regret sleeping on Animal Man so long. This is my favorite Morrison work that I've read and probably one of my favorite runs ever. Just good issue after good issue. It's also insane how distinctly Morrison it gets given that it was his first work at DC. I only have the last few issues to go and I don't want it to end.

naY7CIx.jpg

That's hot.

ElNarez

Banned
I just wanna remind all y'all that what started this is Robbi Rodriguez calling for people in the industry to not be horny trash goblins for once.

e: seriously, this is the sentiment Frank Cho is still acting so mad at

Shit son, this isn't about censorship because most of the people bringing up that argument don't even know what that word means exactly. If you, as pro, want this medium and industry to be taken seriously, like we have a chance to now, then start fucking acting like it and change with the times. The definition of body image has changed in of all entertainment in the last decade. And it's not a matter of changing the style of your work - it's a matter of thinking about your work outside of your bubble.

Really, it just took me getting over telling non-readers that that I work in comics, because it was embarrassing to have the only image associated with the medium be "big tits, big guns." We are making some great headway now. You don't know how many time I've seen Saga at the bars I draw in, and it's fucking amazing. It's fucking amazing because these are not old readers, these are fresh young minds just getting into the medium. But once they see works like the Cho sketch cover or the J.Scott covers, it puts the medium back in the basement-troll stereotype zone. Trust, you may not see it, but it's there.

So guys, (and this is the guys here) we have a chance to make this industry more legitimate than it has been in decades. Don't fuck it up by sticking to your old ways. With the new influx of fantastic female creators, you need to do your part to build the business. This may be our last great chance to do so. Growing the fuck up will help us all out in the long run.

Owzers

I just wanna remind all y'all that what started this is Robbi Rodriguez calling for people in the industry to not be horny trash goblins for once.

On one hand, i see Robbi's point, on the other, Trump is going to be our next president. The "think about what you're doing" argument is kinda met with " nah"

Really glad they finally showed them. Must have not had a whole lot to show off at Toy Fair. I was super worried. Getting a good Shane and Glen is such a relief,

Hey, are you getting the new Walking Dead Michonne game tomorrow? Supposedly it takes place between issues #126 and #139 when
Michonne was off on the boat

Okay, I don't read the comics. Is it normal for them to come with a head on a pike? Like, is that a thing they do in the books on a regular basis so they just had to include it?

Not at all. It's actually a minor spoiler for a specific event in one of the recent arcs.

Started vol. 1 of New 52 Secret Six

I don't like Catman. So far, that's all I have. Will continue.
naY7CIx.jpg

That's hot.

You know, that cover would actually be alright if he got rid of the outrage bubble.
Exactly what I was thinking. Even better if it was a Gwenpool cover.

It's getting tiresome.

But...that's actually a good point.

Li Kao

So I read...
Arkham Manor #01-06, and I wasn't so hot on the whole comics are great at the time. Not abysmal but very very anecdotal. To a point where you gotta ask yourself if generic Batman adventure n°345678 really warranted all these dead trees.
Deathstroke #01-03, and I asked to myself what could I have possibly done to merit this flamming turd.
Then I read Gotham by Midnight #01 first few pages and I knew there is a God. Stunning.

I really need to have this ocd get taken to the back and shot down, I'm wasting my fucking time on some titles when such gems are available.

ElNarez

Banned
But...that's actually a good point.

no you don't get it

if Frank Cho can't draw Shanna the She-Devil getting drilled in every orifice by super horny dinosaurs that somehow have human dicks while a pterodactyl finishes on her face from above for an audience of young women, the terrorists have won

it's like in Speed, if his boner goes below 50mph this whole bus explodes, and the bus is comics in this metaphor

Calcium

Banned
I'm wasting my fucking time on some titles when such gems are available.

I usually ask for opinions here and read reviews on CBR to avoid wasting my time on bad books. Look at it this way, though, you'll appreciate those gems so much more after what you've read.

no you don't get it

if Frank Cho can't draw Shanna the She-Devil getting drilled in every orifice by super horny dinosaur that somehow have human dicks while a pterodactyl finishes on her face from above for an audience of young women, the terrorists have won

it's like in Speed, if his boner goes below 50mph this whole bus explodes, and the bus is comics in this metaphor
You seem angry. More than that, you seem, what's the word? Incensed? Appalled? Offended?

Give me a minute, it'll come to me.

Calcium

Banned
Just finished the entire Sandman run and the spinoff series featuring Death. Just fantastic stuff all around, really glad I picked these up. I found it interesting how Dream and Death were often supporting characters in their own books at times and it really works. Credit to Neil Gaiman, the guy can write interesting characters that you actually care about. I loved how even seemingly insignificant characters reappeared throughout the series and sometimes played larger roles. Death and Delirium are fucking fantastic too, I love them. I highly recommend the series to anyone that hasn't read it.

no you don't get it

if Frank Cho can't draw Shanna the She-Devil getting drilled in every orifice by super horny dinosaur that somehow have human dicks while a pterodactyl finishes on her face from above for an audience of young women, the terrorists have won

NOOOOOOOOOOOliver.gif

So with Rebirth coming and Johns off Justice League, I wonder if that means Rise of Seven Seas is dead.

he reaffirmed it not too long ago, I'm sure he knew rebirth was coming already at that point.

My guess is he'll be back on Aquaman or Seven Seas will be the first event book post rebirth.

Next month should be fun. BvS, Dark Souls 3 & Rebirth creatives.

Li Kao

Hmm, while not as great as Gotham by Midnight, Gotham Academy was very nice. Good initiative of DC to jump on the wider audience bandwagon.
Ms Marvel hasn't wowed me 5 issues in but I'm sold on Squirrel Girl and Gotham Academy. Times are changing and they are very interesting.

Messi

Hmm, while not as great as Gotham by Midnight, Gotham Academy was very nice. Good initiative of DC to jump on the wider audience bandwagon.
Ms Marvel hasn't wowed me 5 issues in but I'm sold on Squirrel Girl and Gotham Academy. Times are changing and they are very interesting.

I'd agree with this. Ms Marvel is fine but the others are really damn good. Karl Kershl is a wizard on art for Gotham Academy. Shane he just left but the new rotating artists are good.

Top Bottom