• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

I want them both.

t3evzz4gbm7gql9u3x2t.gif

I read some Solo this weekend because I was tired of getting owned on SFV, and yeah the Richard Corben issue is fucking rad. I don't think I'd ever read his stuff before but now i wanna read some of those indie horror comics he's done because I really liked that issue

The Tim Sale one was kinda cool too for decent genre noir comics
I really liked his work with Azzarello on the Banner mini series. It's been like 10 years since I read it so it might be trash who knows.

frye

I'll say this...I liked the first four parts. Its a really dramatic thriller for the first 2/3rds, lot of dark shadows, great melodramatic body language from Mike Deodato Jr. A dark secret from Peter's past, wtf could it be, where the HELL is this story going...

and then it goes there

I recently reread the early JMS stuff and stopped with Romita's departure because man whatever decent stuff that came with Deodato is ruined by all the bullshit

Civil War is worse than Nemesis?

yeah.

What do you think of JMS original idea to make Sarah and Gabriel Peters children?

That probably went have been worse. Peter Parker the deadbeat father, with some kids out there he never knew or would need to be part of his life forever unless they both tragically killed off as soon as they introduced.

Probably should've just canned that idea, b.

Owzers

I'm having a hard time finalizing March's new OT thread, i can't decide between talking about wrestling or the nba.....i feel like both might be too much if i'm going to include any comic talk.

Messi

I'm having a hard time finalizing March's new OT thread, i can't decide between talking about wrestling or the nba.....i feel like both might be too much if i'm going to include any comic talk.

You could prob drop the NBA section and have an Olivia section instead?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That probably went have been worse. Peter Parker the deadbeat father, with some kids out there he never knew or would need to be part of his life forever unless they both tragically killed off as soon as they introduced.

Probably should've just canned that idea, b.
Yeah maybe.
But I can really overlook the part with Norman. I like the story, maybe its nostalgia. Idk.

Owzers

You could prob drop the NBA section and have an Olivia section instead?

Leaning towards the title being " You can't hurry Love" the classic Phil Collins song, about Kevin Love/Cavs alongside people still booing Roman Reigns despite getting pushed heavily. Maybe i'll drop comics for Olivia, it's what the readers want.

it's the road to wrestlemania season, man
Leaning towards the title being " You can't hurry Love" the classic Phil Collins song, about Kevin Love/Cavs alongside people still booing Roman Reigns despite getting pushed heavily. Maybe i'll drop comics for Olivia, it's what the readers want.

hmmm... nope

Messi

That sounds like the right decision to me.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. The only Snyder we care about is Scott.
COMICS! |OT| March 2016. More distracting than Henry Cavill's hairline.

Also a future one:
Justice League Action! |OT| We Need Some Action (If We're Gonna Make It To A Second Season)

Li Kao

Secret Six #01-02 (2015): what the fuck is this ? If memory serves the first secret six mini was pretty good... I just read two episodes of a bad 999 riff off. And what the hell, can't Ken Lashley pencil an issue in its entirety ?

XAL

Every time I see Frank Cho art, my first thought is that it's kind of pathetic that he's still doing this, and the second is that he's an amazing artist. I wish he wouldn't spend so much time on a grudge and do some other stuff.

He'll keep doing it as long as people keep giving him shit for it, or giving shit to artists in general about the same thing.

Secret Six Vol. 1: Friends in Low Places

So, my big fear going in was, "what if this isn't as good as Simone's previous run?" For the first couple chapters, I thought my fears had been realized. The art was good, but I wasn't a fan of any of the characters aside from Strix and Porcelain. Which is fine, since they're both effectively my favorite characters in this run. However, once they reach the suburbs...honestly this book turns it up a lot. The characters all have started to grow on me more, and I've gained a genuine interest in them. Big Shot's backstory is actually really cool, and I love his relationship with Black Alice. Black Alice is about what I expected, considering the previous run I read, but still an interesting character none the less. Catman...honestly I didn't like him at first, and I'm still shaky, but he's grown on me. They played the "cat" part of him up way too much, and it bothered me quite a bit. Still does, in fact, but not nearly as much.

The one character I'm genuinely shaky on is Ventriloquist. Honestly seems like she's there to try to replace Ragdoll as the "super kooky, weird character." But then Ragdoll, Scandal, and Jeanette show up and it's goddamned amazing.

So yeah, it took a bit, but it's definitely grown on me. I can certainly see this living up to the previous run.

I barely know that guy and i already want him to win. They already ruined the Authority getting kicked out last time, surely they won't do it again.

You don't know Shane McMahon? Did you start watching wrestling last Tuesday?

Cho's spider-gwen cover is funnier and more interesting than the book itself in its current state >.>

I wouldn't know. I stopped reading it because I was bored. I lasted a good four or five issues, though.

It's absolutely going to happen. The signs are there :(

Ugh. I really don't want it to happen.
But if it's going to, Rick ending up with Michonne (at least until one of THEM dies) is a pretty good outcome. They've definitely been hinting at it in the recent issues of the comic.

Why don't they have mouths?

Can't do too much sculpting. Manufacturing costs on a POP might climb to over $0.75. Can't have that.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016: DINOSAURS!

Owzers

I don't even remember when i got out of wrestling, I loved it as a kid with macho man/hogan/andre the giant/etc, i think i saw a lot of the Generation X stuff, some rock/austin stuff, then who knows. I only got back into it because of the WWE Network making their events reasonable in cost ( if not quality....)

Plus Roman Reigns of course.

Comics were the opposite, i disliked what i read early on and only started reading again because i read Whedon was writing an X-men comic so i thought i'd give it a shot since it was well reviewed.

Messi

Secret Six Vol. 1: Friends in Low Places

So, my big fear going in was, "what if this isn't as good as Simone's previous run?" For the first couple chapters, I thought my fears had been realized. The art was good, but I wasn't a fan of any of the characters aside from Strix and Porcelain. Which is fine, since they're both effectively my favorite characters in this run. However, once they reach the suburbs...honestly this book turns it up a lot. The characters all have started to grow on me more, and I've gained a genuine interest in them. Big Shot's backstory is actually really cool, and I love his relationship with Black Alice. Black Alice is about what I expected, considering the previous run I read, but still an interesting character none the less. Catman...honestly I didn't like him at first, and I'm still shaky, but he's grown on me. They played the "cat" part of him up way too much, and it bothered me quite a bit. Still does, in fact, but not nearly as much.

The one character I'm genuinely shaky on is Ventriloquist. Honestly seems like she's there to try to replace Ragdoll as the "super kooky, weird character." But then Ragdoll, Scandal, and Jeanette show up and it's goddamned amazing.

So yeah, it took a bit, but it's definitely grown on me. I can certainly see this living up to the previous run.

Looks like Rebirth will be the end of it so it likely wont get a chance to live up to the first run :(

Looks like Rebirth will be the end of it so it likely wont get a chance to live up to the first run :(

Wasn't there a long delay between the first and second issues? I genuinely forgot it was a thing for awhile, and the pre-New 52 Secret Six is my favourite DC book ever.

Top Bottom