• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

I hate DC. They get me all excited about change and then stiff me on the followup. Every damn time.

Hypertime, infinite crisis, now the multiverse back. They tease us and then nothing. I *love* change in comics. I love these big shakeups. I'm wary of but get excited every time a company like DC plans a big reboot. I got wet for the five minutes we though Marvel might be doing a complete reboot.

But DC never manage to hit the high notes. I've been rereading JSA (For the umpteenth time) and I'm drooling at the thought of bringing the classic JSA while still young into the present. I'm not a nu-52 hater but it's not hugely satisfying to me so I'm hoping they are doing something very big but ultimately I suspect they've just decided to copy Marvel and shove a load of new #1s out and have a bit of a cull.

I'm excited and I know I shouldn't be and I think that's the part that sucks the most.

How is that DC's fault? It's Rich's fault for spreading FUD and your fault for believing him :p

Hellers

Oh yeah. If the JSA part turns out not to be true I certainly won't blame them for it. It's just everytime they do something like this they claim all manner of things will now be available to writers or things can now be done, streamlined this, enhanced that. New stories!

And ultimately what comes out is just...adequate at best. I'm a lifelong DC man. That's the set of heroes I'm invested in. Sure I read shit loads of everything else but DC? That's my jam.

And since nu-52 I've been more interested in what Marvel have been doing. I still read a lot of DC stuff. I also still enjoy it..for what it is. But for the most part it's not really very good. At first I thought I needed to give some time for the new takes on the characters and the new shared universe to settle in and become familiar. It's not settling in and it's not becoming familiar.

Lois and Clark is pushing my buttons though. I'm really enjoying that. Saying that however I don't think they should go back to pre-nu-52. That ship has sailed. If Rebirth turns out to be a reboot (And to be honest I don't see it) they should push out in another direction. Not entirely sure what that could be though.

Hopefully we'll get more solid info soon.

Sandfox

Y'know, despite protestations to the contrary, you really are one to defend Rich, you know that?

If anything I'm putting "blame" on DC rather than defending Rich lol. I'm just saying that DC is building up hype on their own(which they should be doing).

Oh yeah. If the JSA part turns out not to be true I certainly won't blame them for it. It's just everytime they do something like this they claim all manner of things will now be available to writers or things can now be done, streamlined this, enhanced that. New stories!

And ultimately what comes out is just...adequate at best. I'm a lifelong DC man. That's the set of heroes I'm invested in. Sure I read shit loads of everything else but DC? That's my jam.

And since nu-52 I've been more interested in what Marvel have been doing. I still read a lot of DC stuff. I also still enjoy it..for what it is. But for the most part it's not really very good. At first I thought I needed to give some time for the new takes on the characters and the new shared universe to settle in and become familiar. It's not settling in and it's not becoming familiar.

Lois and Clark is pushing my buttons though. I'm really enjoying that. Saying that however I don't think they should go back to pre-nu-52. That ship has sailed. If Rebirth turns out to be a reboot (And to be honest I don't see it) they should push out in another direction. Not entirely sure what that could be though.

Hopefully we'll get more solid info soon.

New 52 made me lose interest in pretty much every character I followed prior for various reasons.

It's new comics day yaaaaay

Sheriff of Babylon #3: shit gets real this issue. The death of at least one major player, a clear picture of who exactly killed Ali al Fahar and why... there are Developments. Shocking ones, at that.

This series is really, really excellent at portraying a world in shades of gray in a way that most others aren't. Generally, most writers achieve moral uncertainty by making EVERYBODY a dickbag in their own way (see: Game of Thrones), but King manages a more nuanced picture. The characters are more than the sum of their faults or their virtues. It's genuinely exceptional.

Oh, and the art is great. I know going in there was a measure of uncertainty, because this is the guy behind the infamous big lipped panel from Punisher, but there's none of that here.

ElNarez

Banned
Even then DC is still teasing 'Rebirth".

Yeah. It's one fucking word.

People are projecting all kinds of insane bullshit on a teaser that's literally just a word and some blue curtains.

If y'all are gonna lose your mind over this, I don't even wanna know what it's gonna be like when Actual News pops up.

Sandfox

People are projecting all kinds of insane bullshit on a teaser that's literally just a word and some blue curtains.

If y'all are gonna lose your mind over this, I don't even wanna know what it's gonna be like when Actual News pops up.

I think it's kinda annoying that DC didn't tell us when to expect news.

Messi

I agree completely. Some of yall taking Richs word as gospel on what DC are doing when dc have essentially said nothing.

I keep seeing this title pop up. What's the deal with it? Worth checking out?

Definitely worth checking out. Tom King writing about a murder mystery (amongst other things) in American occupied Baghdad circa 2004. Very very very cool stuff.

Agreed.

I think it's kinda annoying that DC didn't tell us when to expect news.

Didn't you just say that you basically stopped reading DC with the new 52, or am I misinterpreting that?

Sandfox

Definitely worth checking out. Tom King writing about a murder mystery (amongst other things) in American occupied Baghdad circa 2004. Very very very cool stuff.

Agreed.

Didn't you just say that you basically stopped reading DC with the new 52, or am I misinterpreting that?

I said that I stopped reading a lot of the characters I was following before the reboot. I still read some DC books and keep track of others to see if they are worth getting back into.

ElNarez

Banned
I agree completely. Some of yall taking Richs word as gospel on what DC are doing when dc have essentially said nothing.

That's how he operates. It's just taking the kind of speculation that runs around in comics circles and saying it came from reliable sources. He's cashing in on your fantasies of how the industry works. He sees people saying the new 52 was a mess and DC should reboot, and then, presto, a ONE. GODDAMN. WORD. teaser becomes "breaking news: DC is totally gonna reboot like you said you wanted them to, so, of course you're gonna click on that, you dumb shit".

Calcium

Banned

I'll go ahead and add it to the ever-growing list of books I want to check out. Thanks!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
RIP ComicGaf, you had a good run ;_;

gglROe2.png

RIP ComicGaf, you had a good run ;_;

You going after the back-row types first? They're generally much more dangerous than whatever big nasty is hanging up in the first 2 rows, your madmen and stress casters and whatnot.

Midnighter #9: The LITERALLY UNTHINKABLE happens this issue, and it is GLORIOUS.

Granted, it's a little less satisfying than it could've been, because of the way it happened, but still.

Good issue.

Vyer

I hate DC. They get me all excited about change and then stiff me on the followup. Every damn time.

Hypertime, infinite crisis, now the multiverse back. They tease us and then nothing. I *love* change in comics. I love these big shakeups. I'm wary of but get excited every time a company like DC plans a big reboot. I got wet for the five minutes we though Marvel might be doing a complete reboot.

But DC never manage to hit the high notes. I've been rereading JSA (For the umpteenth time) and I'm drooling at the thought of bringing the classic JSA while still young into the present. I'm not a nu-52 hater but it's not hugely satisfying to me so I'm hoping they are doing something very big but ultimately I suspect they've just decided to copy Marvel and shove a load of new #1s out and have a bit of a cull.

I'm excited and I know I shouldn't be and I think that's the part that sucks the most.

I mean, you're kinda saying here you get excited about big change but you're disappointed they haven't brought in the old stuff. Kinda lose-lose situation.

Batman Europa #4: bit of an anticlimax, IMO :/ The reveal of the villain was solid in a vacuum, but then my brain went "oh, so we're doing this again?" and things sort of deteriorated from there. Subsequent fight wasn't what I'd call satisfying, though it did have a nice mindgames moment, it ultimately boiled down to "character X is just that much better than character Y."

And then it capped it off with a "Batman enjoys hurting people" thing, which I've never been big on.

Still, it's gorgeous. On the whole, Europa was a very pretty ride, if not a satisfying one.

Looks like Heavy Metal is gonna be on Comixology. Neat.

Seeing Gambit on the cover for the new Uncanny Avengers makes me glad I didn't bother with it

Owzers

i'm not sure if Black Science is worth rebuying in OHC. Maybe i should stop buying floppies for it and OHC wait?

Don't know if it's quicker, but Scott Snyder has been on a meteoric rise.

Would Marguerite Bennett count? I think she does. She is quite the talent.

Charles Soule, Jeff Lemire, James Tynion IV, and Marguerite Bennett.

So was Spider-miles any good?

I don't know how I blanked out on those. Still, it's cool to get such a range of new creators not just reinvigorating the same type of stuff.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Wow.... *sad/disappointed face*

Beautiful book but the writing is all over the place and the cast of characters are vile and wholly unlikable. This God World arc has been unbearably bad so far.

Remender has yet to give me one reason why I should give a shit about Grant so having his mommy and daddy issues shoved down my throat for 4 or 5 issues has been painfully boring.

Beautiful book but the writing is all over the place and the cast of characters are vile and wholly unlikable. This God World arc has been unbearably bad so far.

Remender has yet to give me one reason why I should give a shit about Grant so having his mommy and daddy issues shoved down my throat for 4 or 5 issues has been painfully boring.

I dropped it for similar reasons after reading the first two issues of the first trade.

Fuck yes. TMNT Vol 13 launched today and it's also 50% off. Not sure if it's an error, but definitely hope on if you're interested.

So many comics today. I'm actually going to have to pass on some stuff I'm interested in for now (Kennel Block Blues).

Hawkeye club is totally dying and we're only on #2. Fml.

I'll save it, don't worry.

Top Bottom