• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to go to a Craig Thompson signing to pick up Habibi and talk to the dude because Blankets is one of the most important comics to me, but sadly I never finished Habibi. The art, as always, is absolutely sublime, but the story wasn't grabbing me. I should go read it, start to finish, and see how I feel.

Definitely man. I haven't read Blankets, but Habibi is awesome. Even just the book itself is something else, such a nice OGN. I remember getting that and Petrograd (also a really great OGN) at the same time and just being blown away how some of the more *alternate* publishers blow the others away with the actual presentation of their stuff. They really make the books feel important.

Oh man. The Justice League: War clips that have been going around recently are getting me pretty hype.

Haha, really man? I was going to get it for my kid but I don't know, the animation, yeesh. Something super offputting to me visually about it.

tim1138

I'm through the first three volumes of Hellboy, and man what I wouldn't give for a HB/Atomic Robo team up book.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
How did you find volume 2 man? I missed Stumptown off my list as I'm really not sure where I'm at. I liked the first volume, very meat and potatoes modern PI story, I liked it, it didn't blow me away though. This would normally be acceptable to me; a "fine" Rucka book means really enjoyable dialogue and characters, so I'm always down for that. My biggest problem is Oni's choice to take 4/5 part mini series and publish them as oversized HCs, resulting in an astronomical price on Amazon (uk that is). I actually saw Rucka respond to the question of whether they would ever be published as regular tpbs with "I don't believe so as Oni have said the pricing difference would be negligible". Well the first volume is £19 on amazon for 4 issues. I find that incredibly high for the book, when I could grab 4 books off Image (including Lazarus) for around that if I'm savvy. If I'm savvy I can drive that first volume price down to £15 off marketplace sellers but still, I just find that way too much. Especially since Wasteland vol. 9 is currently up for pre-order at under £8, and I can get the Sixth gun trades for around £9, I'm not sure what game they're playing with the pricing but yea. I assume the price hike starts on their end as the book is sold for similar pricing everywhere, not just Amazon, hence the difficulty getting it any cheaper.

So mini rant over, I wonder, how is volume 2 haha? I would pay £15 for a GREAT volume but if it's effectively on the same level as 1, I would skip, which is why I'm kind of in no man's zone with the book. The perfect solution for me would be if they just to go ahead and release paperback volumes.

Let me get back to you... the second volume is still in my backlog. *eep* I'll read it shortly.

Haha, really man? I was going to get it for my kid but I don't know, the animation, yeesh. Something super offputting to me visually about it.

When it comes to DC animation, not much really bothers me, I've enjoyed almost all of them thoroughly. But I'm one of their target audiences for these releases so I am going to eat it up. Visually, it seems fairly close to the style of Young Justice.

I'm through the first three volumes of Hellboy, and man what I wouldn't give for a HB/Atomic Robo team up book.

So good man, eh? How many did you get out, just the three or up to vol. 5? Can't wait to hear your full thoughts. Volume 1 is an interesting beast as it's not Mignola scripting (and it does show when you go back to it) but by 3 you should be getting a real good feel for it. As good as I think the first 5 are as well, imo it all kicks off for reals after. I LOVE volume 6, the three wishes is probs my favourite hellboy book. Plus you start getting all the BPRD stuff after volume 5.

arkon

You guys are nuts. so many comics just off a pull list. I think my wife would kill me if I bought that many comics every month.
I'll find a way to get away with it one day

Luckily for me I don't have a wife to deal with...

;_;

---
Enjoying everybodys lists, a few nice surprises so far too. Nice to see some peeps read Wasteland, it literally never gets discussed, nor reviewed even really on the popular websites etc.! Arkon, how do you feel about Mitten coming back to illustrate the final arc man? Pretty unbelievable imo. Greenwood is getting better and better, but I always thought the book lost it's visual wow factor when Mitten left. To hear he's returning to see it all end, music to my ears.

I've switched over to the Apocalyptic editions. As a result I haven't caught up to the point where Mitten leaves and Greenwood joins yet. What I will say is that I'm happy to hear the original creative team is back together for that final arc. I normally prefer the original creative teams, especially in a series where they've really worked for me like the first few trades of Wasteland.

---

Huh? I wasn't referencing the physical size of the books. I just wanna see Robo and HB team up to take down some monsters and stuff.

Rafa works in mysterious ways, brah.

tim1138

So good man, eh? How many did you get out, just the three or up to vol. 5? Can't wait to hear your full thoughts. Volume 1 is an interesting beast as it's not Mignola scripting (and it does show when you go back to it) but by 3 you should be getting a real good feel for it. As good as I think the first 5 are as well, imo it all kicks off for reals after. I LOVE volume 6, the three wishes is probs my favourite hellboy book. Plus you start getting all the BPRD stuff after volume 5.

It's great so far. I was surprised to see Byrne did the scripting on vol 1. Sidebar and totally unrelated, but Byrne and Claremont's run on X-Men is in the top 3 of greatest runs of all time. Back to Hellboy, I got the first siz volumes of HB and the first of BPRD. I'm gonna read through vol 5 of HB and then vol 1 of BPRD and vol 6 of HB and see how it goes. If I latch onto one I'll probably read it straight through and then come back to the other to finish it. If both are equally awesome I'll just alternate between the two.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
I was just lamenting about them. Since we have a bunch of size queens running around talking about pull lists....

Ah I gotcha brah.

Messi

If you two are former spouses then this is pretty awkward.

I am Arkons ex

iGvY7MzxGkS3E.gif

As a result I haven't caught up to the point where Mitten leaves and Greenwood joins yet. What I will say is that I'm happy to hear the original creative team is back together for that final arc. I normally prefer the original creative teams, especially in a series where they've really worked for me like the first few trades of Wasteland..

Definitely, I find Dog Tribes such an incredible story. Between Johnston's use of language and Mitten's design work, they make an incredible team. Well, hmm, what to say. You're in for a rough ride during the first story post Mitten (Sorry to Remington Vetito but jeez, those issues were extremely rough) but once Greenwood has the reins it gets better, and Greenwood himself as an artist has been getting better and better too over the last year or so. IMO his stuff has come along way to where you loo kat recent wasteland previews or the fuse teaser and his old stuff looks weirdly cartoony compared to now. It'll be great to have Mitten on though.

It's great so far. I was surprised to see Byrne did the scripting on vol 1. Sidebar and totally unrelated, but Byrne and Claremont's run on X-Men is in the top 3 of greatest runs of all time. Back to Hellboy, I got the first siz volumes of HB and the first of BPRD. I'm gonna read through vol 5 of HB and then vol 1 of BPRD and vol 6 of HB and see how it goes. If I latch onto one I'll probably read it straight through and then come back to the other to finish it. If both are equally awesome I'll just alternate between the two.

I think even if you dig them equal, it's so much easier to keep check of everything if you just do one then one. Haha I mean no judgement on Byrne btw, just that Mignola's flair for just the right amount of dialogue at the right time, and no a letter more, is quite difference. I REALLY love volume 6 though. The Three Wishes then The Island...ridiculously good.

I'm so behind on Hellboy proper, although the more art I see the more I wanna catch up. Like that one page of Hellboy in Hell, where he makes great use of the vertical panels, the first for your eyes to follow Hellboy's somewhat comedic descent, the next to emphasize just how long he's been out, then that tiny awake panel. I think there's a great comedic and dramatic effect there, just in the way Mignola lays out the page

18-635-1.jpg

tim1138

I think even if you dig them equal, it's so much easier to keep check of everything if you just do one then one. Haha I mean no judgement on Byrne btw, just that Mignola's flair for just the right amount of dialogue at the right time, and no a letter more, is quite difference. I REALLY love volume 6 though. The Three Wishes then The Island...ridiculously good.

Yeah, that's definitely the plan. And I know you weren't judging Byrne, just a random thought I wanted to share.

<BirdieHype>Basically Byrne/Claremont were responsible for the greatest X-Men issues of forever </BirdieHype>

But yeah HB rocks and I really, really want a HB/Robo team up book.

$4 for a month of Marvel Unlimited, according to the email I just got. Promo code is MU2014, but it's only good until the end of the day Wednesday.

And actually, I didn't realize you could subscribe monthly, I thought it was only yearly!

arkon

If you two are former spouses then this is pretty awkward.

Haha. Nah, that would mean I had progressed a relationship beyond the friendzone and breached the touch barrier. I'm your typical nerdy shut-in stereotype. Although hopefully a little more self-aware and not as creepy when I'm out in the real world. Hopefully

Definitely, I find Dog Tribes such an incredible story. Between Johnston's use of language and Mitten's design work, they make an incredible team. Well, hmm, what to say. You're in for a rough ride during the first story post Mitten (Sorry to Remington Vetito but jeez, those issues were extremely rough) but once Greenwood has the reins it gets better, and Greenwood himself as an artist has been getting better and better too over the last year or so. IMO his stuff has come along way to where you loo kat recent wasteland previews or the fuse teaser and his old stuff looks weirdly cartoony compared to now. It'll be great to have Mitten on though.

lol. Unless it's really bad art I won't mind too much. I can normally deal with that *cough* X-Men Legacy *cough*. For such a visual medium I tend to pay far more attention to the words than, well, the visual aspects like panel layouts and stuff. Weird I know.

Owzers

i don't usually save comic runs, but lately i've kept Daredevil, Hawkeye, Saga, and Wonder Woman for my collection. Daredevil and Hawkeye used to be worth a lot on ebay and i think i missed that hype boat, sometimes it is much better to sell something when it's wanted than to wait. At least Saga's value hasn't tanked.

I know you said this around page 2ish but I'm interested in knowing about these. Horror is one of my favorite genres.

Hahah yea no bother man. Well We have Hill's Locke & Key, which just completed an absolute once in a lifetime run. Snyder with American Vampire (and not to forget his limited stuff, The Wake & Severed).Brubaker experimenting with horror in Fatale to brilliant results. While it walks through other genres as well, I often found Sweet Tooth to be an incredibly creepy book (just recently finished as well), perhaps the most emotionally horrifying at times of the books I've mentioned. To get one or two amazing horror books ongoing at the same time is one thing, 4 absolute megatons though? I would name the final 5th pillar of awesome to be the encompassing Mignola line of Hellboy, BPRD etc. While it does spread beyond horror into other genres, a lot of Hell On Earth has been brilliantly creepy. To actually have had all these books out at one time, to me marks how fucking lucky I am to be a fan now, as I'm a huge horror fan too.

An honourable mention goes to Revival. While I wouldn't put it in company with the above, I do really like it. This year coming as well, we've got Veil by Rucka, can't wait.

Marvel relaunching HULK in April; Waid still writing, Mark Bagley joins as new artist (CBR)

Sounds like it's going to be a continuation of sorts from Indestructible, with more emphasis on Hulk action and finally revealing what Banner's endgame in that series has been and what he's been planning ever since he started working for S.H.I.E.L.D.

I don't know how this one's going to do, because Indestructible kind of dropped the ball and I think most of us dropped it too.

yea I love Hulk and I love Waid but this didn't work out for me

Anyone have opinions on Peter David's X-Factor? Comixology is selling his run today for .99.

I think its awesome, that and Carey X-men was the best

$4 for a month of Marvel Unlimited, according to the email I just got. Promo code is MU2014, but it's only good until the end of the day Wednesday.

And actually, I didn't realize you could subscribe monthly, I thought it was only yearly!

Really tempted by this. How is Marvel Unlimited on the PC? I have an Android phone and no tablet (lame I know) so I would primarily be reading it on my desktop.

Might just be Drumheller #3 for me this week. Though I'll probably get Complete Multiple Warheads TP and Minimum Wage #1.

Whey, I was just singing its praises as well. Where you up to?

I read up to the last 2 or three volumes of Sweet Tooth. I loved it so damn much. But this book and Scalped are the only two series that I would really like to own as big deluxe HCs or something equally resplendent. So I'm waiting for those to be released before I finish the runs. It'll happen. It'll happen.

Owzers

Everyone with an ipad should sign up and binge read Nextwave/Immortal Iron Fist/Astonishing X-Men.

lttp Pull List (please somebody save me from myself)

Marvel
All-New X-Men
Amazing X-Men
Avengers
Avengers World
Captain America
Guardians of the Galaxy
Hawkeye
MK Hulk
MK Spider-Man
MK X-Men
New Avengers
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Superior Spider-Man
Thor: God of Thunder
Uncanny Avengers
Uncanny X-Men
Wolverine and the X-Men
Young Avengers

DC
Action Comics
Batman
Forever Evil
Green Arrow
Superman Unchained
The Wake

Black Science
Dead Body Road
Deadly Class
East of West
Lazarus
Pretty Deadly
Saviors
Sex Criminals
Three
Umbral
Velvet
Zero

Upcoming
All-New Ghost Rider
Daredevil
Moon Knight
Punisher
Silver Surfer
Winter Soldier
Wolverine
Southern Bastards

the chris

Locke and Key has the best horror I've read in any book. There was times when I said "damn!" out loud reading it.

I really wanted to get into this series, but I really don't like the art. Maybe I'll give it one more try though now that the series is done.

I know jack shit about comics but something about that Moon Knight preview has me excited. I'll be searching around for that on release.

Owzers

I may try this as well. Any other recommendations?

Patsy Walker Hellcat mini
Hickmans Fantastic Four/FF saga :O
Runaways by BKV
Uncanny X-Force by Remender

there are tons of things to read on MU, basically every run that i've wanted an Omnibus of since i started reading comics 10 years ago.

I read up to the last 2 or three volumes of Sweet Tooth. I loved it so damn much. But this book and Scalped are the only two series that I would really like to own as big deluxe HCs or something equally resplendent. So I'm waiting for those to be released before I finish the runs. It'll happen. It'll happen.

Probably, but considering it's DC, it certainly won't happen in a timely manner.

Dropping a Carey X-Book? BLASPHEMY! BEGONE VILE DEMONS!

Ahem. So yes No More Humans should be bought by ALL.

Then we can get Carey writing UXM.

Boom.

Messi

Can someone tell me what this Wolverine and the X-Men omnibus will be like? Is it huge? What does it contain and how much is it likely to cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom