• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone tell me what this Wolverine and the X-Men omnibus will be like? Is it huge? What does it contain and how much is it likely to cost?

Solicit
WOLVERINE AND X-MEN BY JASON AARON OMNIBUS HC
(W) Jason Aaron (A) Various (CA) TBD

Blockbuster writer Jason Aaron's incredible, hilarious and touching WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN run is collected in one oversized volume! Wolverine returns to Westchester to start over with a new school, a new student body and a lot of surprises! But can Logan - and a staff including Beast, Iceman, Rachel Grey, Kitty Pryde, Storm, Husk and Doop - really lead the Children of the Atom into the future? Only if they survive the newHellfire Club, Krakoa, Sabretooth, an army of mischievous Bamfs, war with the Avengers, the Phoenix Five and more! As new students join the school, including the time-displaced original X-Men, new threats emerge from Frankenstein's Murder Circus, Wolverine's half-brother Dog Logan, Mystique, the Hellfire Academy…and S.H.I.E.L.D.! Welcome to the Jean Grey School, Wolverine - hope you survive the experience! Collecting WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN #1-35, #38-42 and ANNUAL #1.

928 PGS./Rated T+ …$99.99
They took out the Battle of the Atom issues.

Cheaper on Instocktrades...

If you live in the US.

Never ordered from there. I have Amazon Prime and I get free 2 day shipping. Placed the order tonight and I'm going to get it Wednesday. Looks like their shipping is $4, so I'm paying only $4 more than them and I'll probably get it faster.

Owzers

Let me ask you this then. Do any of you enjoy this series?

First 8 issues were my favorite new series at the time, then it crushed my spirits with an AvX tie-in, mediocre arc, good arc, battle of the atom tie-in ( not included), now another decent arc but it has to live in Bendis' dumb world. It's probably worth the $50 price tag when it hits Instocktrades release week or dcbs' current pre-order cycle, but i wouldn't be too excited. It's good though, solid 7.5ish-8ish random number generator quality scale.

Never ordered from there. I have Amazon Prime and I get free 2 day shipping. Placed the order tonight and I'm going to get it Wednesday. Looks like their shipping is $4, so I'm paying only $4 more than them and I'll probably get it faster.
Just showing off options, hope you enjoy it as much I did. :)
YES! I hope it ends on a high note next month. ;_;

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

I read up to...issue 20, I believe. Up until AvX, I loved the series and it was one of the few Marvel titles I picked up in floppy--it was also the only X-men title I grabbed. AvX truly felt like it derailed WaTXM in every possible way. The characters were forced into taking sides in some shitty event that up until that point meant nothing to the actual book. It stopped focusing on the lives of these quirky teen mutants and their teachers and more on the Phoenix Force and blahblahblah BIG EVENT bullshit.

Somebody's gonna say the crossovers didn't harm the book at all, but that's bullshit. I had every intention of keeping the book on my pull-list but I just couldn't do it. 5-6 months of atrocious derailing is not fun to read. The book originally had the same appeal as Hawkeye--quirky, well-written, great art, and pretty isolated from the rest of the Marvel U (despite the book being spawned from an event).

Somebody's gonna say the crossovers didn't harm the book at all, but that's bullshit. I had every intention of keeping the book on my pull-list but I just couldn't do it. 5-6 months of atrocious derailing is not fun to read.

I'm of the opinion that crossovers usually ruin everything. In a lot of cases, it's just a marketing stunt to strong-arm people into buying books they usually don't touch in order to keep up with a storyline. Crossovers and tie-ins are probably one of the biggest issue I have with Marvel and DC, and why I much prefer indy books, now.

I'm Prime and I've started buying a lot of my trades at instocktrades. They ship quick and they package the books with such great care. Usually if I want to buy one book I go amazon, multiple I go instocktrades. It's worth looking into even for prime members.

vocab

I hardly buy directly from amazon for most of my books. The tax + hike in free shipping qualifications for single volumes make it cost so much. I buy either from seller which is a gamble more or less, but instocktrades is pretty legit. $4 flat rate with no tax? So good. I used them 3 times so far.

Anyway, what's the best Dark Horse series out there?

First 8 issues were my favorite new series at the time, then it crushed my spirits with an AvX tie-in, mediocre arc, good arc, battle of the atom tie-in ( not included), now another decent arc but it has to live in Bendis' dumb world. It's probably worth the $50 price tag when it hits Instocktrades release week or dcbs' current pre-order cycle, but i wouldn't be too excited. It's good though, solid 7.5ish-8ish random number generator quality scale.

I read up to...issue 20, I believe. Up until AvX, I loved the series and it was one of the few Marvel titles I picked up in floppy--it was also the only X-men title I grabbed. AvX truly felt like it derailed WaTXM in every possible way. The characters were forced into taking sides in some shitty event that up until that point meant nothing to the actual book. It stopped focusing on the lives of these quirky teen mutants and their teachers and more on the Phoenix Force and blahblahblah BIG EVENT bullshit.

Somebody's gonna say the crossovers didn't harm the book at all, but that's bullshit. I had every intention of keeping the book on my pull-list but I just couldn't do it. 5-6 months of atrocious derailing is not fun to read. The book originally had the same appeal as Hawkeye--quirky, well-written, great art, and pretty isolated from the rest of the Marvel U (despite the book being spawned from an event).

Good analysis. Felt the series never lived up to those first 8 or so issues. This is why events are dumb.

JEKKI

I'm reading Days of Future Passed

and lol what's up with these typos?!?!

388307ba76a911e390640e89ad1ea68a_7.jpg

Started reading Runaways cause I was desperate for more BKV after falling in love with Saga. I really liked the first volume, but I was looking at the rest of the series on amazon and noticed a lot negative reviews down the line. I don't know if I want to commit to something that will just let me down in the end. Is there a clear stopping point where I can still feel closure but avoid the bad parts? Is it worth reading the whole thing anyway?

Owzers

Started reading Runaways cause I was desperate for more BKV after falling in love with Saga. I really liked the first volume, but I was looking at the rest of the series on amazon and noticed a lot negative reviews down the line. I don't know if I want to commit to something that will just let me down in the end. Is there a clear stopping point where I can still feel closure but avoid the bad parts? Is it worth reading the whole thing anyway?

You should be okay abandoning after BKVs run ends, you'll miss the characters, but Whedon's following arc is a quirky weird time travel to old New York that has very little to do with continuing any BKV plotting.

I would like some impressions of these books.

WE3
100 Bullets
Transmetropolitan
Alice in Sunderland
From Hell

Of those, I've read:

WE3 - Amazing. Heartfelt and bittersweet.

100 Bullets - Good, but it did drag on a bit too long. They just had to make a book called 100 Bullets get to 100 issues.

Transmetropolitan - One of my favorite Vertigo titles. And probably one of the most popular books that Ellis has ever written.

JEKKI

man I'm reading the Hickman FF stuff too;

the ones Juan Bobillo drew.

and I swear I loved his art in She Hulk!

like I would get sad when I had to read an issue he did not draw

but it's not that his FF art is bad, but rather I dont think he knows what characters he's drawing lol

like one shot of all the kids has four human looking males... I think one of them is supposed to be Leech,

then dragon man is talking to a brunette boy that he refers to has Alex (who is blonde)

in one panel there's a random red-head kid who's supposed to be Bentley,

on the Moloid kids keep carrying a baby with them.

I swear I bet Jonathon Hickman looked at the issue after it was printed and was prolly like "wtf who are all these people?!?!"

Hey Korupt, do you mess with comixology? I'll gift you the first issue. You should go buy the first trade when you wake up though.

or call the the comic guy right now and say "Spider said said to wake up and sell Korupt some f'n Transmet, asshole!" He'll probably do it!

Threaten to knock over NeoGaf's #1 2014 darling Harley Quinn comic rack. What's he going to do when the horde comes looking for it?!

man I'm reading the Hickman FF stuff too;

the ones Juan Bobillo drew.

and I swear I loved his art in She Hulk!

like I would get sad when I had to read an issue he did not draw

but it's not that his FF art is bad, but rather I dont think he knows what characters he's drawing lol

like one shot of all the kids has four human looking males... I think one of them is supposed to be Leech,

then dragon man is talking to a brunette boy that he refers to has Alex (who is blonde)

in one panel there's a random red-head kid who's supposed to be Bentley,

on the Moloid kids keep carrying a baby with them.

I swear I bet Jonathon Hickman looked at the issue after it was printed and was prolly like "wtf who are all these people?!?!"

I know exactly what you mean, but there's something about his art that made me love every issue that he drew. It's all so weird.

Owzers

Amazon has The Nao of Brown, bargain book with a possible remainder mark, for 9.99.

I for one think Birdie has read too many comics and now whenever you ask him what he wants for dinner he responds with ' COMICS! YEAH!"

vocab

WE3
100 Bullets
Transmetropolitan
Alice in Sunderland
From Hell

I have the first 5 volumes of Transmetropolitan. I have only read one issue, and I can tell I'm going to like it. Not many games or even comics, and movies do this to me btw. So that's something. I'm going to read the first volume of Locke and Key before I start reading it.

100 bullets..... I dunno about this series to be honest. I read the first two issues, and it either starts slow, or maybe it hasn't hit its stride. It definitely didn't leave a better impression on me like Transmetropolitan did. Though I'm a bit biased because cyberpunk is the best.

Going by the first volume, 100 Bullets is kinda meh. But I also thought Long Road to Hell was meh, so.

I bet Transmet is as great as everyone says but I don't think it's one you can try out with the first issue. I didn't go nuts for the first issue, though I do imagine I could get into it after a few more.

Going by the first volume, 100 Bullets is kinda meh. But I also thought Long Road to Hell was meh, so.

Actually, Long Road to Hell is the perfect way to describe 100 Bullets. That's exactly how it felt when I was reading it. 100 Bullets is a good story in theory, but it gets too convoluted along the way and takes too long to get to the point.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
How did you find volume 2 man? I missed Stumptown off my list as I'm really not sure where I'm at. I liked the first volume, very meat and potatoes modern PI story, I liked it, it didn't blow me away though. This would normally be acceptable to me; a "fine" Rucka book means really enjoyable dialogue and characters, so I'm always down for that. My biggest problem is Oni's choice to take 4/5 part mini series and publish them as oversized HCs, resulting in an astronomical price on Amazon (uk that is). I actually saw Rucka respond to the question of whether they would ever be published as regular tpbs with "I don't believe so as Oni have said the pricing difference would be negligible". Well the first volume is £19 on amazon for 4 issues. I find that incredibly high for the book, when I could grab 4 books off Image (including Lazarus) for around that if I'm savvy. If I'm savvy I can drive that first volume price down to £15 off marketplace sellers but still, I just find that way too much. Especially since Wasteland vol. 9 is currently up for pre-order at under £8, and I can get the Sixth gun trades for around £9, I'm not sure what game they're playing with the pricing but yea. I assume the price hike starts on their end as the book is sold for similar pricing everywhere, not just Amazon, hence the difficulty getting it any cheaper.

So mini rant over, I wonder, how is volume 2 haha? I would pay £15 for a GREAT volume but if it's effectively on the same level as 1, I would skip, which is why I'm kind of in no man's zone with the book. The perfect solution for me would be if they just to go ahead and release paperback volumes.

Okay, read it tonight. It's a pretty nice tale, the stakes aren't super high but there are good complicating details and twists. The 4th issue is the major standout, with a car chase taking up most of it and doing some really cool things with the art. I was blown away when I reached the two page spread that's so simple and only uses two colors, but it's such a good climax and fits the moment perfectly.

I don't know that I'd say this is a marked improvement over the first volume. I enjoyed both quite a bit. They're probably closer to equal, just Vol 2 having a really sweet extended action sequence that stands out.

Can you access Comixology? I'm not sure how that works in terms of regions, but they have Stumptown on sale now for $1 an issue, so maybe that digital pricing would be more agreeable for you, because you're right, it's not a cheap physical book.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I enjoyed it the whole way through, even the AvX issues were pretty great. Book has a lot of heart and one of the best casts in comics. Great talent on the book too.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

WE3 - the fucking best. Just properly amazing comics. Hyper kinetic, violent, touching. Will make you cry.
100 Bullets - not read
Transmetropolitan - Warren Ellis IS Hunter S Thompson IN THE FUTURE!! Highly regarded, but your enjoyment will depend on how much Hunter-lite schtick you can take.
Alice in Sunderland - no read
From Hell - really incredible. If you flick through it it looks like scratchy shit, but when you slow down and read the book it's incredibly dense and detailed and gritty. Really a stunning work.

Bought Stumptown Vol. 1. Why not.

I kinda forgot that Adventures of Superman and LotD existed. hell, I didn't even know that Legends of the Dark Knight ended like a month ago. I liked the idea of it but it rarely had a team that interested me

Amazon has The Nao of Brown, bargain book with a possible remainder mark, for 9.99.

I for one think Birdie has read too many comics and now whenever you ask him what he wants for dinner he responds with ' COMICS! YEAH!"
who's to say he doesn't actually eat comics

Been asked a thousand times so let's make it one thousand and one; thinking of getting a tablet and while digital comics aren't going to be a focus, I'd like to get something that is decent for the occasional dabble. What do you digital comic readers use?

Thanks guys! If you can't tell, I googled top 10 best graphic novels and it came up with a top 50 list. These are the ones that caught my eye.

Mafro

It was one of the best books Marvel was putting out up until the AvX crossover totally derailed it and in my opinion it never got back to that same quality afterwards, but it was still pretty good. I lost interest after Battle of the Atom happened and Bendis completely killed my interest in the X-universe, I was particularly annoyed with Wood's X-Men being drawn into that event when the series had only been going for four issues.

tim1138

Been asked a thousand times so let's make it one thousand and one; thinking of getting a tablet and while digital comics aren't going to be a focus, I'd like to get something that is decent for the occasional dabble. What do you digital comic readers use?

I use a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and it works great for me. Most people will probably tell you to get an iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom