• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next up is volume 5. I love the short story format for volumes 3 and 4, do other volumes have that format?

Yup, volume 7, 10 and 11 all take that format, and contain some absolutely brilliant stories! The stories in The Midnight Circus and House Of The Living Dead will probably fit into one eventually as well.

I got the Lego Arctic Freeze Batman set solely for the Aquaman minifig.

Hahah I bought this for my six year old for christmas, took much pleasure in building up the vehicle for him and playing it with him. Those sets are really something, we got him the Arkham Asylum lego set as well with Joker and Harley in it, super cool stuff.

tim1138

Yup, volume 7, 10 and 11 all take that format, and contain some absolutely brilliant stories! The stories in The Midnight Circus and House Of The Living Dead will probably fit into one eventually as well.

Hellboy eating pancakes might be one the greatest things I've ever read.

So whats the deal with Avengers World? Does that make it 3 Avengers Hickman titles or is it more of Nick Spencer's thing since he is co-writing?

Owzers

Those hidden histories will come out in the wash through tie-in issues in various Marvel series where folks such as Wolverine and Spider-Man will have to deal with the individual fallout.

SOLD!

I think i'm sitting this one out just like i did Age of Ultron, i can't stand the Watcher and his goofy starey pointy shenanigans.

Can't click the link because I'm on my phone but is this supposed to be Marvel's big 2014 event or just the interim event?

I was inclined to say big event, but now I'm not sure. I'd say Hickman's collision of Avengers and New Avengers will be bigger. This looks more like an Age of Ultron event.

Eldren

Can't click the link because I'm on my phone but is this supposed to be Marvel's big 2014 event or just the interim event?

A murder mystery is afoot in the Marvel Universe.

When the all-seeing, all-knowing Uatu the Watcher is found dead in his lunar lair, the Avengers and the rest of Earth's superheroes scramble to keep their deepest and darkest secrets from being revealed, in Marvel Comics' annual major crossover event Original Sin, launching in May.

I took that to mean this is the big one, but I'm not as well-versed in comics as others so I could be wrong.

I dunno, a murder mystery sounds pretty cool, and I like Jason Aaron. Deodato can be hit-or-miss but his New Avengers work looks better than the last few books I read that he drew (Thunderbolts and the first two Secret Avengers trades) so maybe he's improved. But man, the relentless crossing-over of Marvel and DC books these days is kind of getting to me. I'm looking forward to the Wolverine & The X-Men Omnibus but all this talk of it being dragged into crossovers is worrying.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I took that to mean this is the big one, but I'm not as well-versed in comics as others so I could be wrong.

I dunno, a murder mystery sounds pretty cool, and I like Jason Aaron. Deodato can be hit-or-miss but his New Avengers work looks better than the last few books I read that he drew (Thunderbolts and the first two Secret Avengers trades) so maybe he's improved. But man, the relentless crossing-over of Marvel and DC books these days is kind of getting to me. I'm looking forward to the Wolverine & The X-Men Omnibus but all this talk of it being dragged into crossovers is worrying.

Sadly, this ain't a new thing. I'm more partial to DCs Big Events, but even those get tiresome and often shit up comics that they spill over into.

I mean, even Animal Man got sucked into a crossover during Grant Morrison's run, which is hilarious, because he's Animal Man. Thankfully Morrison dominates Big Events like it's his job.

I can't wait for that one time where Spider-man tried to get Uatu to speak to him. Or how The Watcher discovered Jean psychically masturbating to The Thing. Or how he played Parcheesi with Wolverine. The tie ins will just feature the Watcher in the background. Like how The Inhumanity tie ins just have a cocoon in the background. Can't wait.

I can't wait for that one time where Spider-man tried to get Uatu to speak to him. Or how The Watcher discovered Jean psychically masturbating to The Thing. Or how he played Parcheesi with Wolverine. The tie ins will just feature the Watcher in the background. Like how The Inhumanity tie ins just have a cocoon in the background. Can't wait.

Calling it now, there will be an Avengers Undercover tie-in to Original Sin, and it will be horrendous. I'll still buy it anyway. DAMN YOU MARVEL!

The Wolverine secret history with Uatu will be the best, just wait

I'd hope the tie-ins are the kinda extra shit you can safely ignore, like Fear Itself: Spider-Man, which had nothing to do with the core ASM book at the time. That way people who want to read about Spidey involvement in the event can read that, and people who just want to ignore the whole thing can get on about their lives.

Similarly, I've pretty much ignored Infinity entirely and it didn't seem to have much effect on anything I was reading. Of course, there's that complaint that Final Crisis and Fear Itself didn't change enough and didn't intrude on enough books and have a big effect, and ugh you can never win with this shit. But they will keep doing them because Rafa keeps buying them brah

I know we're pretty much done with the latest round of print vs digital but I have yet to take a turn and this is relevant to my interests.

I'm planning a move from Vancouver, BC to Mexico City. If I bring my boxed floppies then I am basically paying for them again (and again and again) in the cost of shipping them. This is an unacceptable prospect. As much as it will pain me, I'll have to select just the few floppies I can't let go and sell/give away the rest.

I've always been all about print, but you never know how much (or how little) you care about something until you are placed in this kind of situation. My trades and OGNs are going with me, though. No two ways about that. It helps that I have yet to read half of them, but I also just like owning them and sharing them. I'll sell only the stuff I'm not crazy for.

Once I'm in Mexico, buying print singles will not be an option. So it'll be either a digital/trade situation or I'll trade-wait everything. I guess I'll give digital a go, maybe. I've read plenty on Comixology in the past and... I dunno.. maybe I can get over the whole physical value thing?

Once I'm in Mexico, buying print singles will not be an option. So it'll be either a digital/trade situation or I'll trade-wait everything. I guess I'll give digital a go, maybe. I've read plenty on Comixology in the past and... I dunno.. maybe I can get over the whole physical value thing?

Comics and their complete resale worthlessness do a pretty sweet job in helping that along. ;D

Fantomex

So a year ago, I was close to creating some custom Uncanny X-Force lego figs. I promised one to someone here with a 49ers cartoon avatar? I believe. If you're reading this, please PM me bro. I forgot your name.

bP7lnQjm.png

Vibranium

Banned
I really hope this is good but I have my doubts. I like Aaron's stuff and want him to do well. They're probably going to kill off OG Nick Fury in this as well, no reason why they'd bring him back otherwise.

If they kill off Nick Fury and continue to push Samuel L, I'll stand up and repeatedly bang my head into a wall for 10 minutes.

Kill Junior in some big event instead.

Also, The Watcher murder mystery is something I'll follow but isn't on my "value" list hehe. Nobody will miss Uatu anyways.

Hopefully DC announces their new books soon. This Watcher bullshit left a bad taste in my mouth. Inhuman is D.o.A

Man, I'm so much happier when I stay away from Marvel events. Infinity was the exception, as I thought it was actually pretty good. But everything else is shit. Shitty balls of shit.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I got the Hawkeye OHC for Christmas and I'm just now reading through the comics that make up the second TPB...

Hawkeye spoilers:
GRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLSSSSSSS!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This is almost worse than Damian. Almost.

MG310

Found these at Target today (or rather, had to be the weird guy who asks them to get things out of the back)

The boxes are labeled oddly because Black Cat,Carnage, and Beetle are getting replaced in the cases with Anya Corazon Spider-Girl,Eddie Brock Toxin and Boomerang eventually.

Messi

Black Widow #1 received Comicvines prestigious 5/5 star review.

Good to hear, excited to get my copy tomorrow.

Same grade as Harley Quinn #0

watch out ya'll got a new book of the month coming

Harley won't go down so easily

:p

--

Just finished Thor: God of Thunder: Godbomb. That was totally awesome, the art is really stunning and it had some good laughs and great action. Thor is easily my favourite Avenger. No one comes close to badass potential. If you are not reading this book you are missing out. Marvels best book alongside Hawkguy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I miss comics, I stopped buying / reading them about 10 years ago (I was buying so many of them each month I just went cold turkey one day and never went back) but I still try to follow the events. I wish I hadn't gone full stop and kept buying at least some I them, like x-men stuff which I was always a fanboy of (but even those there were so many with all the different teams and spin offs and whatnot).

If I ever get an ipad I'll probably get a marvel unlimited subscription and try to catch up with at least the x-men stuff, which in itself already sounds like a Herculean task (I think I stopped reading when xorn showed up, who ended up being magneto I think?).

Is Scott still boinking Emma? I never actually read up to that but it always blew my mind they went that route lol.

And whatever happened to gambit, he was always super popular but it seems he just completely disappeared.

I better stop or I'll just roll out like 50 questions lol :)

Finished the Hawkeye TPB Volume 1.

I really, really, really liked the art of the first few issues. It took a few pages to grow on me but I ended up really liking it all.

Then issues four and five completely took me out of it. I liked the story(recovering the stuff for SHIELD) but the art was abysmal. Issue 6(backstory on the girl Hawkeye) was good.

As I understand it, Volume 2 TPB has more art from the issues 1-3 guy. Hopefully I can pick that up in the next few weeks.

Overall good stuff. 7/10.

I miss comics, I stopped buying / reading them about 10 years ago (I was buying so many of them each month I just went cold turkey one day and never went back) but I still try to follow the events. I wish I hadn't gone full stop and kept buying at least some I them, like x-men stuff which I was always a fanboy of (but even those there were so many with all the different teams and spin offs and whatnot).

If I ever get an ipad I'll probably get a marvel unlimited subscription and try to catch up with at least the x-men stuff, which in itself already sounds like a Herculean task (I think I stopped reading when xorn showed up, who ended up being magneto I think?).

Is Scott still boinking Emma? I never actually read up to that but it always blew my mind they went that route lol.

And whatever happened to gambit, he was always super popular but it seems he just completely disappeared.

Get an Unlimited subscription, sit back, and enjoy. I only recently got back into them earlier this year and I'm having a blast catching up on everything I missed. Look up all of the must read runs (Remender's Uncanny X-Force, Brubaker's Captain America, Hickman's Fantastic Four) and decide how invested you want to get into reading them. Unlimited has pretty much everything from the past 10-12 years, and a good amount of stuff from even earlier than that. Along with that, you'll also be getting issues that are about 5-6 months old, so if you don't mind being a little behind it does a good job of keeping you decently current.

Also, make sure to check out some books outside of your comfort zone. Superhero books are great but there's a ton of stuff out there that is very worth your time. Anything Image puts out is usually pretty great.

Owzers

My next MU adventure will be The Twelve by JMS now that the...twelfth issue is on there. The first three issues were good if not a little too much
everyone getting Cap'd, so instead of one man out of time we have 12 people out of time
. JMS did a good job of differentiating people right from the start so they all don't blur together, even if some do.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So I just realized that I never really heard anything about Damian: Son of Batman. Was it any good?

My next MU adventure will be The Twelve by JMS now that the...twelfth issue is on there. The first three issues were good if not a little too much
everyone getting Cap'd, so instead of one man out of time we have 12 people out of time
. JMS did a good job of differentiating people right from the start so they all don't blur together, even if some do.

that reminds me, i should pick up the second volume of that. I really liked the first one when i read it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Oh man you stopped at Xorn? That was a legendary run, go finish it!

Scott was still with Emma up until about a year ago. Now they still hang out but no boinking. Oh and he killed
Professor X

Gambit was and has always been shite. The only thing that made you think he was cool is that you were probably about 10 when the cartoon was on :p

So I just realized that I never really heard anything about Damian: Son of Batman. Was it any good?

fuuuuuuuuck no

Found these at Target today (or rather, had to be the weird guy who asks them to get things out of the back)

The boxes are labeled oddly because Black Cat,Carnage, and Beetle are getting replaced in the cases with Anya Corazon Spider-Girl,Eddie Brock Toxin and Boomerang eventually.
Those are actually pretty impressive. Guess ill have to tke a trip to the distinguished competition for a look, hope they expandnthe line.

Is anyone a marvel fan here that reads by trade? Big Hickman fan, tentatively thinking about maybe getting into his recent avengers run but the way they're releasing the infinity stuff has me a little confused, just on the Avengers comic side. Everything seems fine with New Avengers but to read the avengers tie-in issues the options to be:

EDIT - Scratch all that. True enough, I was missing a book. Of course I only spotted it, after searching amazon then writing a thing here.

I really liked the first volume of American Vampire.

I wonder how it took some of you guys so long to read a graphic novel that had Stephen King's name on, but hey, the fact you've read it and enjoyed it now is good enough. I really adore the first volume, and the series as a whole is incredibly strong. I wish King had more time to do stuff like that, particularly if he could actually have done some of marvel's dark tower stuff himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom